Princess Delphine & Family, News & Events 1; 2020 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it would (or will) be very awkward the first time King Albert will be at the same place as his daughter after all these years of fighting.

It's more than likely they'll meet privately at whatever point beforehand.

I agree. If she makes a public appearance with the family, it will probably be at the Christmas concert.

I don't expect to see her children there though. Astrid's and Laurent's children don't normally attend the concert, do they? If so, there is no reason for Delphine's children to attend either.

It was not my intention to nitpick.

I don't see why it would be odd, even if only Philippe's kids were there and not the other children. Its a family friendly event.

But Princess Louise went with her parents last year.

https://royalfashionblog.com/belgian-royal-family-at-annual-christmas-concert/

And all their kids went when little in 2006

https://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/n...-and-prince-news-photo/72858195?adppopup=true

Maybe this dramatic story of Princess Delphine and her years of struggle (along with her father's 18-year love affair with her mother) should be the next royal drama series on Netflix. The 60 Minutes Australia report on the recent court ruling and how the entire story began, is quite fascinating:

The fact that a lot of people in Belgium knew about King Albert II's love affair but kept quiet about it, until the sixteen-year-old biographer of Queen Paola made an obscure reference to Delphine in a chapter of Paola's biography, is rather ironic. Seemingly, Paola had a difficult time dealing with her husband's infidelity. And when the story blew wide open after the publication of Paola's biography, Albert felt duty-bound to adhere to Paola's angry demand that he never mention or see Delphine again. At the time, Delphine tried to protect her father, and she made no comment to the clamoring press hoards. But when Albert in deference to Paola's demands, chose to cut his out-of-wedlock daughter off completely and to stop returning her phone calls, Delphine understandably became upset and she felt betrayed.

Netflix and Peter Morgan really need to consider this story. If crafted the right way, it could be another ratings success for that online streaming platform.

Last edited:
Maybe this dramatic story of Princess Delphine and her years of struggle (along with her father's 18-year love affair with her mother) should be the next royal drama series on Netflix. The 60 Minutes Australia report on the recent court ruling and how the entire story began, is quite fascinating:

The fact that a lot of people in Belgium knew about King Albert II's love affair but kept quiet about it, until the sixteen-year-old biographer of Queen Paola made an obscure reference to Delphine in a chapter of Paola's biography, is rather ironic. Seemingly, Paola had a difficult time dealing with her husband's infidelity. And when the story blew wide open after the publication of Paola's biography, Albert felt duty-bound to adhere to Paola's angry demand that he never mention or see Delphine again. At the time, Delphine tried to protect her father, and she made no comment to the clamoring press hoards. But when Albert in deference to Paola's demands, chose to cut his out-of-wedlock daughter off completely and to stop returning her phone calls, Delphine understandably became upset and she felt betrayed.

Netflix and Peter Morgan really need to consider this story. If crafted the right way, it could be another ratings success for that online streaming platform.

He did that on purpose. He had lengthy discussions with his publisher about it as they didn't want a scandal book.
And it was told to him by a courtier who worked at the palace for a long time in a rather blunt way.

Even if he were interested, I don't want Morgan to have anything to do with this. The Crown is good, but not good enough, and has had some serious pitfalls.

I'm also going to say Delphine is surely not at the point where she wants a movie made about all this, though I suppose when you are that public you probably lose the rights to your "story".

There is some doubt that it was Paola who "drove" Albert to finally cut Delphine off. The alternate explanation is clergy officials, in addition to his own cowardice.

There actually is enough historical drama in the BRF for multiple miniseries without even having to get to Delphine for several years.

Edit: Now I'm quite fascinated; that blouse and necklace Delphine has for the interview is the same one from the picture with Philippe. Either that's a lucky combination for her or something strange is going on?

Last edited:
Even if he were interested, I don't want Morgan to have anything to do with this. The Crown is good, but not good enough, and has had some serious pitfalls.

I'm also going to say Delphine is surely not at the point where she wants a movie made about all this, though I suppose when you are that public you probably lose the rights to your "story".

There is some doubt that it was Paola who "drove" Albert to finally cut Delphine off. The alternate explanation is clergy officials, in addition to his own cowardice.

There actually is enough historical drama in the BRF for multiple miniseries without even having to get to Delphine for several years.

Edit: Now I'm quite fascinated; that blouse and necklace Delphine has for the interview is the same one from the picture with Philippe. Either that's a lucky combination for her or something strange is going on?

I am glad I wasn't the only one who noticed Delphine's blouse.
I want to believe it's just a coincidence, and even if she happened to film this interview on the same day, she didn't say anything bad about the current King, so it doesn't really matter, does it?

And (OT) I agree about Peter Morgan and The Crown. I certainly don't need another tv series that seems to be focused into showing only one side of the story.

I cannot fathom how you would have the emotional energy to do a lengthy interview the same day you meet a sibling for the first time in your life, so perhaps it's just something she likes/gives her confidence?

Of couse it would be slightly simpler if we could figure out when they filmed this.

Edit: Okay, two mysteries solved— according to this slightly wonky source, Mario Daneels says it was filmed October 1, before Delphine got the news of the princess judgment! https://www.world-today-news.com/pr...ational-interview-to-australia-entertainment/ Which certainly explains wearing it to go meet Philippe, then.

Last edited:
He told it to ANP - the Dutch news agency - similar to Belga for Belgium. So indeed quite coincidental. My initial thought was that it was filmed between her own press conference and the meeting with Philippe, but it turns out both things occurred after this interview.

This interview literally had Delphine as a Princess-in-Waiting :lol:

Last edited:
Very interesting interview... She appears very likeable !

It's interesting... the only perspective I've heard about the potential divorce so far was the conditions being so harsh that apparently Sybille decided she could not marry Albert and keep her self-respect. Delphine's take here is that her mother was afraid of being responsible for taking the monarchy down and Belgium with it (not that Sybille is/was wrong or crazy for considering it, though), so it was a matter of patriotism and self-sacrifice. They're not mutually exclusive stories, but I wonder how many other angles on "what happened" there are.

Delphine would have been fully old enough to pick up on all of this... Sybille must have talked to her at least briefly afterwards. Wonder how she felt when she realized Albert and her mom weren't getting together. Everything must have been so confusing. :sad:

The people at 't Scheldt magazine are/were a bit jealous, since they broke the story in 1997, but it was Mario Danneels who cracked it into the open in his book in October 1999.

It's interesting... the only perspective I've heard about the potential divorce so far was the conditions being so harsh that apparently Sybille decided she could not marry Albert and keep her self-respect. Delphine's take here is that her mother was afraid of being responsible for taking the monarchy down and Belgium with it (not that Sybille is/was wrong or crazy for considering it, though), so it was a matter of patriotism and self-sacrifice. They're not mutually exclusive stories, but I wonder how many other angles on "what happened" there are.

Delphine would have been fully old enough to pick up on all of this... Sybille must have talked to her at least briefly afterwards. Wonder how she felt when she realized Albert and her mom weren't getting together. Everything must have been so confusing. :sad:

That's the only thing I found extremely romanticized in her own version of the story. I can't tell if she is telling the lie only to the medka or to herself as well.

She really isn't wrong to at least think her mother was concerned about bringing the monarchy and Belgium down, though.
a) it's Belgium, so everything can and does have potential to rip the country apart
b) Albert's stepmother was already extremely controversial and that was with no divorce

I think Delphine's version sounds a bit cowardly on Sybille's part, if true, but the considerations aren't irrational or anything. Maybe Albert was the one who got panicky or was advised that way and persuaded Sybille. Are we ever going to know?

Also, on top of that, consider she was going to be branded a scarlet woman and likely never allowed to see Philippe, Astrid, or Laurent, and you can see why it starts to seem like too much.

Last edited:
She really isn't wrong to at least think her mother was concerned about bringing the monarchy and Belgium down, though.
a) it's Belgium, so everything can and does have potential to rip the country apart
b) Albert's stepmother was already extremely controversial and that was with no divorce

I think Delphine's version sounds a bit cowardly on Sybille's part, if true, but the considerations aren't irrational or anything. Maybe Albert was the one who got panicky or was advised that way and persuaded Sybille. Are we ever going to know?

Also, on top of that, consider she was going to be branded a scarlet woman and likely never allowed to see Philippe, Astrid, or Laurent, and you can see why it starts to seem like too much.

Well, if you put it that way, I can see now she has a point, even if reducing it to "bringing the Monarchy and Belgium down" as a statement may sound a bit flamboyant at first.
At the time it was pretty clear that Albert' side of the family would have succeeded to Baudouin, and a divorced and remarried king in a professed Catholic monarchy, where usually the Queen is given the so-called privilege du blanc, may not be a great idea. Or even leaving the throne to a young, single man, like Philippe was at the time, had Albert been asked to reject his succession's rights.

When King Baudoin passed way there was already a Reconciliation between Albert and Paola.

She may go to a few formal events, but I dont see the need for her to become a working royal.. the Belgian RF has enough workers and she' has her own children to look to and her own work to do.
I never meant Delphine shoud become a working royal. She doesn't want to, anyway.

Prior to her legal recognition as Albert's daughter, her lawyer stated that she wanted and deserved "the same privileges, titles and capacities as her brothers and her sister". However, the court of appeals appears to have granted her only the same titles, and not the same privileges and capacities, since after the judgment her lawyer stated that she would not receive an allowance or represent the country.

Tangentially, I wonder whether her lawyers would still have advanced that argument in court if Baroness Sybille had other children. In that scenario, King Albert's lawyers would have been able to point out that she already had exactly the same privileges, titles and capacities as the brother(s) or sister(s) on her maternal side, who would have been as much her siblings as Albert's children.

The people at 't Scheldt magazine are/were a bit jealous, since they broke the story in 1997, but it was Mario Danneels who cracked it into the open in his book in October 1999.

Interesting. Could you link to the 1997 article?

I’m not sure she even knows or agrees with the inside of a church’s purpose going by what she has said in numerous interviews about the religiosity of the family, never mind their faith.

Interesting, could you link to her interviews about the religiosity of the family?

I also doubt we would see her at the service for the late family members. A combination of her own religious feelings, the fact she doesn't know any of those they are celebrating, and others who will be in attendance there.

Christmas concert seems likely the best option to introduce her to events.

On the other hand, the service for deceased family members usually sees the presence of a number of minor royals, while the Christmas concert is attended mainly by the senior royals, if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Interesting. Could you link to the 1997 article?

I don't know how it was printed originally, but the website of 't Scheldt mentions that they were the first to make notion of it.
They were told so by the chief editor of their Wallonian counterpart Père Ubu, who didn't want to publish it out of fear of ruining his contacts with the royal palace. 't Scheldt did publish it, and Père Ubu jumped on the bandwagon. Both are satirical magazines, perhaps that has something to do with that it was not picked up.

The 't Scheldt website mentions this about it (in Dutch):
"inderdaad, dat steekt wat, ‘tScheldt." "indeed, that stings somewhat":
https://www.tscheldt.be/zeg-vriende...seerde-pers-over-die-onthulling-van-delphine/

When you click on "HIER" ("HERE"), you get the story about how 't Scheldt received the news.
The video shows the chief editor of 't Scheldt telling about it. He also says that Mario Danneels did not mention them as his source for that information, but the latter's source was a former courtier from the palace.

Somehow my translation attempt doesn't work, so you must do that yourself if you want.

Last edited:
When King Baudoin passed way there was already a Reconciliation between Albert and Paola.

What I meant was that, had a divorce been finalized instead of a reconciliation, the scenarios for the succession might have been different.

What I meant was that, had a divorce been finalized instead of a reconciliation, the scenarios for the succession might have been different.

If Albert had divorced and been required to renounce his succession rights, I suspect Philippe would have been forced to marry much earlier, even if it were only an arranged marriage (which BTW most people at the time also thought his marriage to Mathilde was).

Last edited:
During his visit to the Belgian center for guide dogs, Prince Laurent was aksed by the press if he would see Delphine. The prince responded: 'My door is always open to her. If that is what she needs, she will come. If that isn't what she needs, she will not." He added: "For you that is a novelty but for me it is not a novelty". He claimed that he has seen her for 20 years: "she knows that our door -of my wife and I- is always open to her. She knows that so I do not need to say this in public."

When asked if Delphine would be part of the family, he responded: "what is part of a family? I can only speak for myself and my door and home are open to her."

https://www.msn.com/nl-be/nieuws/na...-voor-delphine-boël/ar-BB1aibO5?ocid=msedgdhp

If Albert had divorced and been required to renounce his succession rights, I suspect Philippe would have been forced to marry much earlier, even if it were only an arranged marriage (which BTW most people at the time also thought his marriage to Mathilde was).

But the monarchy had already been left to even younger and equally (if not more) struggling Baudouin. Whose marriage to Fabiola was likely not forced (probably the opposite). I think a younger unmarried Philippe would have managed, but Albert was a ready alternative — his uncle had had no choice.

During his visit to the Belgian center for guide dogs, Prince Laurent was aksed by the press if he would see Delphine. The prince responded: 'My door is always open to her. If that is what she needs, she will come. If that isn't what she needs, she will not." He added: "For you that is a novelty but for me it is not a novelty". He claimed that he has seen her for 20 years: "she knows that our door -of my wife and I- is always open to her. She knows that so I do not need to say this in public."

When asked if Delphine would be part of the family, he responded: "what is part of a family? I can only speak for myself and my door and home are open to her."

https://www.msn.com/nl-be/nieuws/na...-voor-delphine-boël/ar-BB1aibO5?ocid=msedgdhp

That's nice of Laurent. His words are likely not evasiveness about Delphine but ambivalence about his own past and place in things. "What is part of a family?" indeed.

I take Laurent's words to mean that he has already been in at least sporadic contact with his half- sister for years. There are no problems between them. He cannot speak for the wider family, but nothing has changed. He will always be there for her.

The big question for me is how Princess Astrid feels about all of this.....

But the monarchy had already been left to even younger and equally (if not more) struggling Baudouin. Whose marriage to Fabiola was likely not forced (probably the opposite). I think a younger unmarried Philippe would have managed, but Albert was a ready alternative — his uncle had had no choice.

That's nice of Laurent. His words are likely not evasiveness about Delphine but ambivalence about his own past and place in things. "What is part of a family?" indeed.

I don't think he has ever felt part of a family, or of anything. Except with animals and now that he has his own family.

I take Laurent's words to mean that he has already been in at least sporadic contact with his half- sister for years. There are no problems between them. He cannot speak for the wider family, but nothing has changed. He will always be there for her.

The big question for me is how Princess Astrid feels about all of this.....

Frankly I don't expect much of Princess Astrid, she is rumoured to truly be her father's daughter and was instrumental in reconciling her parents. She is the only one of the three who has forgiven Albert and Paola their mistakes (according to an article in Het Nieuwsblad).

Last edited:
Prior to her legal recognition as Albert's daughter, her lawyer stated that she wanted and deserved "the same privileges, titles and capacities as her brothers and her sister". However, the court of appeals appears to have granted her only the same titles, and not the same privileges and capacities, since after the judgment her lawyer stated that she would not receive an allowance or represent the country.

Tangentially, I wonder whether her lawyers would still have advanced that argument in court if Baroness Sybille had other children. In that scenario, King Albert's lawyers would have been able to point out that she already had exactly the same privileges, titles and capacities as the brother(s) or sister(s) on her maternal side, who would have been as much her siblings as Albert's children.
Couldn't it be argued that royal status is in itself "a privilege and a capacity"?

I think if Sybille and Albert had had more children, this whole thing would have been far harder for Albert to sweep under the rug and resolved much sooner. Strength in numbers and all that. Lawyer would also have argued that none of Albert's children with Sybille had the privileges of his ones with Paola.

Interesting, could you link to her interviews about the religiosity of the family?

The 60 Minutes interview above has her mentioning "They're soooo Catholic" (approx.) in a "they're very openly devout" kind of sense. To which the interviewer responds "how Catholic could he be? He had a 18-year affair with your mother!" and she laughs.

Couldn't it be argued that royal status is in itself "a privilege and a capacity"?

Yes. But the statement of her lawyer that she wanted "the same privileges, titles, and capacities as her brother and her sister" indicates that she wanted other privileges and capacities beyond a royal title.

I think if Sybille and Albert had had more children, this whole thing would have been far harder for Albert to sweep under the rug and resolved much sooner. Strength in numbers and all that. Lawyer would also have argued that none of Albert's children with Sybille had the privileges of his ones with Paola.

I meant children of Sybille who were not the biological or legal children of Albert.

When I mentioned Charlotte of Monaco before and said "like this" I meant: "child born out of wedlock gains royal rank and title in reigning house". If you consider the Duchess of Valentinois was installed in the succession of her country, I think Delphine is still pretty unique over the last few centuries of European history.

King Louis XIV of France decreed that his illegitimate children would enjoy the same royal rank as their legitimate siblings, and even the right to the throne.

If "child born out of wedlock" includes children who were subsequently made legitimate by the marriage of their parents, the examples probably increase substantially, including at the moment the children of Princes Jean and Louis of Luxembourg.

Frankly I don't expect much of Princess Astrid, she is rumoured to truly be her father's daughter and was instrumental in reconciling her parents. She is the only one of the three who has forgiven Albert and Paola their mistakes (according to an article in Het Nieuwsblad).

Then shouldn't she theoretically not have a problem with Delphine? "Forgiveness of mistakes" doesn't mean "ignoring them" or "pretending they never happened". I do suspect that it's probably (very) awkward for her and that's understandable.

Yes. But the statement of her lawyer that she wanted "the same privileges, titles, and capacities as her brother and her sister" indicates that she wanted other privileges and capacities beyond a royal title.

How was that meant to be squared, though, since her sister and brothers all have very different privileges? Maybe HRH is what you bargain down to, not up from.

King Louis XIV of France decreed that his illegitimate children would enjoy the same royal rank as their legitimate siblings, and even the right to the throne.

If "child born out of wedlock" includes children who were subsequently made legitimate by the marriage of their parents, the examples probably increase substantially, including at the moment the children of Princes Jean and Louis of Luxembourg.

Louis XIV is a bit beyond "the last few centuries". And no, I don't mean kids whose parents subsequently married, which probably limits us back to Charlotte and Delphine.

This is the first time I've seen any of King Philippe's paintings. Who knew? He is really quite talented! I suspect he could make a decent living at it if for some reason his current royal gig ends sometime down the road.

I don't think "the same royal rank" is an accurate description. As far as I understand, Louis XIV elevated his legitimized sons to the rank of princes du sang , i.e. members of the Capetian dynasty, but they did not become fils de France, i.e. members of the Royal House, as their legitimate siblings.

If I am not mistaken, they were included in the line of succession to the French throne, but only after all other legitimate branches of the dynasty, meaning that they ranked lower than not only the fils and petits-fils de France (i.e., the princes of the Royal House), but also than all other legitimate princes du sang (including the Orléans for example).

I would appreciate if other posters could verify if that is indeed accurate.

Last edited:
No, I can't confrim absolutely but my recollection is that they werne't equal to their royal half siblings.. and not everyone approved of giving them as much privilege as they did recieve....

King Albert and Queen Paola have met with Princess Delphine on Sunday afternoon at their Belvédère residence:

This Sunday, October 25, a new chapter opened, filled with emotion, appeasement, understanding and, also, hope.

Our meeting took place at the Château du Belvédère, a meeting during which each of us was able to express, calmly and with empathy, our feelings and our experiences.

After the turmoil, the wounds and the suffering, comes the time for forgiveness, healing and reconciliation. This is the path, patient and at times difficult, that we have decided to take resolutely together.

These first steps open the way which it is now up to us to pursue peacefully.

Delphine, Paola and Albert

** Pic **

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom