Netflix Docu-Series of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex (2022)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Commonwealth were anything other than a force for good, would South Africa have been so eager to rejoin it as soon as apartheid ended? Would Gabon and Mozambique, which were never even part of the British Empire, have wanted to join it?

The late Queen would have been so hurt by everything that's been said about her beloved Commonwealth in this spiteful series.

As for the rest of it ... who hugs a complete stranger the first time they meet them? And who cares who hugged whom anyway?

You are so right ! Couldn’t agree more .

I don't think Meghan intended(consciously) to offend anyone. It's simply that she is not nearly as funny or witty as she aspires to be when she plays to an audience.

Just like her stunt in the parking lot with the baby bottle when she did the "Ellen" show she tried for comedy and it translated as Meghan making a fool of herself.

Not to mention lacking a sense of the innate dignity that would have served her well as a member of the BRF.:whistling:

I had the same thought. I don't think it was meant to be insulting TBH. She was mocking herself and seemed to try to be funny. And although I appreciate the late Queen Elizabeth II a lot, I find the way the press has amplified this issue rather grotesque. As if Her Majesty was a Saint that has been vilified - in my view that was not the case. It was clumsy, it was odd, it was badly acted maybe but I don't think that it was meant as an insult. The filming may not have helped in this respect either. As Toledo already described: the continiously changing angles gave the impression of a film and not of what we consider a documentary.

I have [shortly] worked with actors in the past. During that work I observed that for some of them the on-stage acting spilled over to off-stage acting too. It struck me that a substantial group of them would -perhaps unknowingly to themselves- be acting and still try to be the center of attention even when the show was over. To me that seems to be happening here, though the Duchess may have a point if she would consider that type-casting of course.

Last edited:
There has been some pushback on the Commonwealth comments made in the docuseries.

Gabon said it was “surprising and patronising” for the couple to use their Netflix series to attack the organisation, which was Queen Elizabeth’s proudest achievement.

The country’s high commissioner to the UK criticised “clumsy” comments about “the Empire 2.0”.

Aichatou Sanni Aoudou said: “To think we would sign up blindly to be vassals to another empire is to suggest we are foolish. This is why many in Gabon would feel patronised by these clumsy remarks.

“We entered the Commonwealth last year with our eyes wide open and hearts full of excitement.”

At the Commonwealth headquarters in London, staff questioned why Harry and Meghan chose well-known British critics of the organisation and of the monarchy to take part in the series instead of asking member nations why they joined.

A Commonwealth source challenged the view that it was perpetuating the Empire. He said: “This is very odd, a historic view that seems to ignore why our diverse member states freely joined the Commonwealth based on their shared values and what they gain from their membership.

“The new Commonwealth is led by our equal members and it is them that direct our work, decide on our priorities and benefit from our successes.”

The Queen’s Commonwealth Trust, which was previously honoured to have Harry and Meghan as its president and vice-president, has distanced itself from them.

Chris Kelly, the trust’s chief executive, appeared to take issue with the way the Commonwealth was portrayed in the programme.

He said: “The Commonwealth is a voluntary association that supports peace, human rights, and democracy. The Queen’s Commonwealth Trust works across the Commonwealth to support young leaders who are transforming their communities.”

Source

My real point is that Harry should have prepared her. He obviously didnt.

He should have. And because Meghan was serious about Harry, she should have prepared herself. She presents herself as a smart, savvy woman, so she should have researched his family and asked him questions.

I think what Moonmaiden and Marengo have said rings true to me and why I believe she irks so many people. It always seems like she's performing, and not doing it very well, even when she's trying to be vulnerable. They actually have a lot of interesting experiences and things to say but it just constantly gets clouded in their performance.

I think Harry and Meghan should stop these interviews and documentaries. I know these are the things they make a lot of money from, but find alternatives. They should stop attacking the monarchy and its family, it's very ugly what they are doing.

He should have. And because Meghan was serious about Harry, she should have prepared herself. She presents herself as a smart, savvy woman, so she should have researched his family and asked him questions.

Exactly. That is what makes her story so ridiculous. No well educated woman wouldn’t have done her homework on this one. My God, didn’t Jessica Mulroney counsel her on anything other than fashion? Her father in law was the Canadian PM. There had to be some knowledge of what she was getting into.

Harry and Meghan's documentary may put Royal family at risk, warns ex-head of security

Archive

(...)

Security expert Dai Davies, a former divisional commander in the Metropolitan Police, who guarded Queen Elizabeth II and other members of the Royal family, said the couple had raised a “credible threat” by attacking their relatives on race grounds.

“There’s a small minority that think Meghan walks on water,” he said. “I’ve always said there’s a greater risk from fixated individuals than there is from terrorists.

“Because their narrative has been attached to race to the extent it has - you could have those at the extreme end of the taking knee variety having a go at members of the Royal family.

“I really think it could create a small minority who might. I think it’s a credible threat and I think it should be taken very seriously, especially now the documentary has come out.”

(...)

His comments came as former US policeman George R Franks, associate professor at Stephen F Austin University in Texas raised concerns that “the destructive and damaging comments and allegations made by Harry and Meghan Markle are placing the life and safety of members of the Royal Family in jeopardy.”

He said: “I have been studying their increasingly tenacious attack on the character of the Royals and the institution of the monarchy for the past several months with a growing concern for the safety of the members of the “working royals”, but also for the children of the Prince and Princess of Wales.

(...)

Isn't it ironic, he's suing the government to get security protection because he feels unsafe but he ends up creating security threats to his family, potentilly make them unsafe.

For awhile, I've seen how the so called Sussexsquad throwing casual comments from bombing Buckingham Palace to killing the Cambridges so Archie could acceed the throne and become their "black" king.

That doesn't sound like casual comments...

And the more I read about the documentary and the 'attack' on the Commonwealth, the more perplexed I am as they fully embraced their role as 'Commonwealth couple' while they were 'in' and now they seem to have converted it into the most horrible thing imaginable.

They've done what they always do - anything that doesn't suit has to then from then onwards the worst thing imaginable.

The list of things this is true for is huge and is a real character flaw in both of them (it smacks of spoilt child syndrome to me - if I can't have it no one else can either)

-The Royal Family, "the family she never had", Catherine and William so welcoming then the worst, racist, unwelcoming family ever with Catherine making her cry.

-the Commonwealth - wonderful thing, how excited they were to visit Commonwealth countries and even took on roles at the Queen's Commonwealth Trust and Association of Commonwealth Universities now they no longer hold those roles - how racist, Imperialistic and white saviour it is

-her agent trying to help her make it in the UK, thrown over and never spoken to again once she wan't needed

-Nottingham cottage - so sweet, so wonderful, so homely turns into a snub by the RF

They change their opinions and their stories as often as the wind changes direction

Another clip released by Netflix. The wedding dance:

Last edited:
My real point is that Harry should have prepared her. He obviously didnt.

I agree that he should have warned her about the protocol for meeting the monarch, but it's not exactly rocket science and Meghan has a degree in an international field. If she really didn't know how to curtsey, she could have just skipped it. I truly doubt that the Queen would have judged Meghan harshly if she hadn't curtseyed - Meghan is an American. Unfortunately, she sounds like an ugly American. Personally, I would have made the effort to research British customs before I met my boyfriend's family.

I don't think it is incumbent on Harry to tell Meghan that she probably should put some shoes on before someone in his family came over for dinner or that she shouldn't assume that everyone in the world is open to hugging someone they just met.

They've done what they always do - anything that doesn't suit has to then from then onwards the worst thing imaginable.

The list of things this is true for is huge and is a real character flaw in both of them (it smacks of spoilt child syndrome to me - if I can't have it no one else can either)

-The Royal Family, "the family she never had", Catherine and William so welcoming then the worst, racist, unwelcoming family ever with Catherine making her cry.

-the Commonwealth - wonderful thing, how excited they were to visit Commonwealth countries and even took on roles at the Queen's Commonwealth Trust and Association of Commonwealth Universities now they no longer hold those roles - how racist, Imperialistic and white saviour it is

-her agent trying to help her make it in the UK, thrown over and never spoken to again once she wan't needed

-Nottingham cottage - so sweet, so wonderful, so homely turns into a snub by the RF

They change their opinions and their stories as often as the wind changes direction

Haz and Meg had nothing negative to say about the Commonwealth.

No they didn’t but they (or Archewell) are producers of the film that invited a writer with known views on the Commonwealth to be interviewed. Why wouldn’t they expect her to make the comments she did? If they want to have her opinion in the film then why didn’t they suggest the negative comments be balanced out by perhaps interviewing someone from the Commonwealth. Why allow her to be asked about the Commonwealth at all. I thought this was meant to be their story. The world according to Haz & Meg.

Gonna weigh in here on the "barefoot and in ripped jeans" that Meghan was wearing when William & Kate came to dinner the first time.

First off, while she was clearly Harry's guest, Nottingham Cottage was his home and I don't see a problem with her dressed in casual attire while staying there when they were dating. I highly doubt her "ripped jeans" were "showing off her private parts" for anyone to see. Meghan's version of "ripped jeans" most certainly is along these lines -

https://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/mous...01_cat58290731_cat44640769&page=0&position=37

https://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/moth...1_cat58290731_cat44640769&page=0&position=111

https://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/7-fo...1_cat58290731_cat44640769&page=0&position=113

https://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/hell...01_cat58290731_cat44640769&page=1&position=13

https://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/vers...01_cat58290731_cat44640769&page=1&position=86

At most, she'd have been showing off less skin than you see when someone is wearing Bermuda shorts or capris.

None of those are disrespectful or even the slightest bit distasteful, but they're all high-end, which is exactly Meghan's style.

With regard to the bare feet... Lots of people, and I mean LOTS, myself included, take off their shoes as soon as they walk in the front door. Now, I prefer socks, but that's because I have issues with my feet, but I don't find it odd that Meghan was running around barefoot in Harry's home. Maybe a little odd while cooking in the kitchen, perhaps, but not necessarily. I lived in northern California during the same time Meghan was growing up and it was completely common for people to take their shoes off at home - not at all dissimilar to Japanese culture. Do I think it's odd that she didn't put on shoes or sandals before William & Kate arrived? Not really. Do I think William or Kate were in any way put off by this? Maybe? Maybe not? Obviously, they'd have been wearing shoes themselves since they were the ones walking across the Kensington Palace grounds to Nottingham Cottage for dinner. Was there some awkward "take off your shoes!" moment? Well, Meghan didn't mention it and I trust, had there been one, she would have, so I'm going to bet on no.

All this is, in this little docu-series, is another pitiful attempt by Meghan to make her seem the innocent, naive, casual, relaxed American walking into the completely foreign, stuffy, reserved, upper-crust British society. We've all seen Kate and Will (and their kids) dressed casually. Maybe Kate doesn't own any ripped jeans, but maybe that's just not her style. She's hardly alone in that, on either side of the Atlantic.

But, I don't think it's a big deal that she was barefooted and wearing ripped jeans, and I doubt Will & Kate cared one way or the other.

The point was why was the angle of the Commonwealth added to Harry and Meghan’s series? Using other people to address it doesn’t exempt them (H&M) because the series was about them and they made choices in regards to what would be part of the footage.

The British media, especially the tabloids are boiling over with newsprint and self righteous indignation today. Totally manufactured for clickbait in my view.

For cooler heads, the BBC.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-63899921

From the article

However the public views their TV show, there will be one set of delighted viewers - and that's in Buckingham Palace and the rest of the Royal Family.

They might get a bit of a frosty blast from the series, described as unable to hug and getting married for the wrong reasons. But there are no real bombshells or direct hits and nothing specific about any individuals.

Rather than reaching for their lawyers, they'll be reaching for the family therapists.

Btw I have seen all three available episodes of the documentary and agree with the above assessment.

I agree! Seemed quite innocuous.

:previous: I think perhaps Harry was able to dial it back a bit after the events of the year but I can only hope he was as successful in the remaining three episodes.

The thing about meeting W&K was why did it need to be included at all? For a couple who so clearly want control over the narrative of their lives and want to be given the benefit of the doubt in any situation, they surely don't repay the courtesy.

Meghan clearly has a desire to be seen as a feminist icon on one had and a simultaneous desire to be a teenage Disney princess on the other. Sorry, I'm never going to agree that she's "just like Diana" and that's not a bad thing. She was almost as old as Diana was when she died when she married Harry and had had a previous marriage and career behind her. If she didn't do her research that is on her and her husband and no one else.

But, I don't think it's a big deal that she was barefooted and wearing ripped jeans, and I doubt Will & Kate cared one way or the other.

The thing is, she clearly thinks it's a big deal if they thought it was this important to be included. The whole narrative is how much superior the natural Sussexes are to the stuffy Cambridges and they seem to think this makes Meghan wonderful, warm, loving and made to feel unwelcome.

The now Waleses do own some casual clothes, as we all know. Why weren't they wearing them? My money is on the chance that someone who hated blending in failed to mention that casual was the style. Now, now, who might that be? Someone who stuck out at a christening, perhaps?

Overall, a rather pathetic attempt to make Meghan look like a good, naive little girl. She's my age and it's wildly inappropriate for me, let alone a woman who pretends to be so knowledgeable about the world. It also looks like an attempt to show Catherine and William that she was the boss there - which is odd. I don't invite people over to demonstrate anything.

This looks like some bizarre power play and a narrative set to make Meghan look good and nice and human compared to the Cambridges.

Last edited:
The thing about meeting W&K was why did it need to be included at all? For a couple who so clearly want control over the narrative of their lives and want to be given the benefit of the doubt in any situation, they surely don't repay the courtesy.

Meghan clearly has a desire to be seen as a feminist icon on one had and a simultaneous desire to be a teenage Disney princess on the other. Sorry, I'm never going to agree that she's "just like Diana" and that's not a bad thing. She was almost as old as Diana was when she died when she married Harry and had had a previous marriage and career behind her. If she didn't do her research that is on her and her husband and no one else.

On "Empire 2.0", I am actually willing to give Harry and Meghan the benefit of the doubt. The director said that she wanted to tell Harry and Meghan's story within what she interprets as the "historical context of the British monarchy". It was her choice then to include the so-called experts who mentioned Empire 2.0, Brexit, slavery reparations, and Britain being a country "full of murals that glorify slavery". Although Archewell is one of the producers, I believe Harry and Meghan might not have control over some of those choices or, at least, were not involved in making them.

On the other hand, on Meghan's lack of preparation to handle protocol, or not doing research on the Family, I don't put much faith in it because it seems to be transparently part of the script. Meghan is playing the innocent, but well-meaning and kind-hearted American who is suddenly thrown into the world of stiff British royal protocol, but without a kindly grandmother figure like the Queen of Genovia to show her the ropes, and has to fend for herself. It is not coincidental that Meghan compared herself in the documentary to Anne Hathaway's character in The Princess Diaries (for those who are unfamiliar, a Disney movie targeting 13-year-old girls). As ridiculous as that may sound in the real world, the general public, especially in America, can be indeed that infantile.

Last edited:
I don't think Meghan intended(consciously) to offend anyone. It's simply that she is not nearly as funny or witty as she aspires to be when she plays to an audience.

Just like her stunt in the parking lot with the baby bottle when she did the "Ellen" show she tried for comedy and it translated as Meghan making a fool of herself.

Not to mention lacking a sense of the innate dignity that would have served her well as a member of the BRF.:whistling:

I have looked back at that scene and I think you may have a point. It was meant to be a laugh out loud moment but it fell flat. So either she did bow like that to the Queen which would have been a bit of a mockery or she was trying to send herself up but it didn't work because the public have taken the mockery from it. I myself do wonder if she maybe just did a little bob.
On Oprah she said that Fergie gave her a couple of lessons outside, she would not have shown her that. It would have been a bob. Did she not say on Oprah that Fergie had said she had been fine.
Once again two different versions of events.
What is that expression , recollections may vary.

On "Empire 2.0", I am actually willing to give Harry and Meghan the benefit of the doubt. The director said that she wanted to tell Harry and Meghan's story within what she interprets as the "historical context of the British monarchy". It was her choice then to include the so-called experts who mentioned Empire 2.0, Brexit, slavery reparations, and Britain being a country "full of murals that glorify slavery". Although Archewell is one of the producers, I believe Harry and Meghan might not have control over some of those choices or, at least, were not involved in making them.

On the other hand, on Meghan's lack of preparation to handle protocol, or not doing research on the Family, I don't put much faith in it because it seems to be transparently part of the script. Meghan is playing the innocent, but well-neaning American who suddenly is thrown into the world of stiff British royal protocol, but without a kindly grandmother figure like the Queen of Genovia to show her the ropes, and has to fend for herself. It is not coincidental that Meghan compared herself in the documentary to Anne Hathaway's character in The Princess Diaries. As ridiculous as that may sound in thr real world, the general public, especially in America, can be indeed that infantile.

I think you are possibly correct but we need to remember the whole object of leaving the UK the Royal family, the institution, there own photographers, access to their choice of journalists was about controlling the message.

We have been told by them and their supporters on many occasions it is about control not privacy, so why did they agree to a documentary where they did not control the content. It is not even balanced. I also suspect some of the editing is possibly causing negative comments towards Meghan.

Meghan has already distanced herself from the programme by saying it is not possibly how they would have told it.
It is not the first time she has compared herself either to a Disney character or a fairy tale.

Last edited:
Interesting listen for some maybe

Mishal Husain - who did the "orchestrated reality show" - otherwise known as the engagement interview with Harry and Meghan - was live on air on the BBC Radio 4 Today show when she first heard of the accusation.

You can hear her reaction at 2.24.50 on the BBC Sounds website - while she doesn't say much it says a lot in its own way

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001fw9v

:D

On the other hand, on Meghan's lack of preparation to handle protocol, or not doing research on the Family, I don't put much faith in it because it seems to be transparently part of the script. Meghan is playing the innocent, but well-meaning and kind-hearted American who is suddenly thrown into the world of stiff British royal protocol, but without a kindly grandmother figure like the Queen of Genovia to show her the ropes, and has to fend for herself. It is not coincidental that Meghan compared herself in the documentary to Anne Hathaway's character in The Princess Diaries (for those who are unfamiliar, a Disney movie targeting 13-year-old girls). As ridiculous as that may sound in the real world, the general public, especially in America, can be indeed that infantile.
While she did t have the Queen of Genovia, Meghan certainly had a number of very knowledgeable people to show her the ropes (remember Samantha Cohen everyone?) but imho Meghan had her own agenda and ways she wanted to do things from day 1. This revisionist history is really something.
As many on TRF are, I’m an American - they come across more like the Kardashians in this “docuseries” than royalty. The mocking OTP curtsy- I was appalled.
Thanks for the Anne Hathaway reference - LOL when I read that

In the rather strange twists and turns of this scenario - I have come to where fantasy, paranoia and sheer confusion meet.

I think that everything the Sussex are doing has one goal at the end of it. And yes - you can laugh at this every Daily Express/ GOT interpretation of it.
Harry and Meghan are going to lobby Commonwealth Leaders to vote them in as Heads (jointly) of the Commonwealth. Apparently that has always been the end goal. And this is where the disagreement with William starts - as apparently William didn't really care about Harry leaving and making his own money but when Harry said that he believes that they (the Sussex's) should be the figureheads of the Commonwealth - was where William took issue.
I think that Meghan and Harry drew up a dossier about how a descendant from African slaves ruling the Commonwealth would heal the hurt of slavery. Harry also believes that he is a spiritual son of Africa and with their popularity in Australia and New Zealand, they were meant for the role.
As the head of the Commonwealth is an elected position - Harry and Meghan are quietly convinced they can be elected into the position over William and possible over Charles when the time comes. They believed that the Commonwealth position given to them by the Queen was her blessing for their greater role.

I am taking this as something from the Daily Express - but I am placing it here both to show that we have cross the Rubicon with regard to confused reporting about the couple when even the outrageous is been looking at for truth - and also to be a point holder. IF in the future someone at a CWHOS meeting brings it up for debate.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the rather strange twists and turns of this scenario - I have come to where fantasy, paranoia and sheer confusion meet.

I think that everything the Sussex are doing has one goal at the end of it. And yes - you can laugh at this every Daily Express/ GOT interpretation of it.
Harry and Meghan are going to lobby Commonwealth Leaders to vote them in as Heads (jointly) of the Commonwealth. Apparently that has always been the end goal. And this is where the disagreement with William starts - as apparently William didn't really care about Harry leaving and making his own money but when Harry said that he believes that they (the Sussex's) should be the figureheads of the Commonwealth - was where William took issue.
I think that Meghan and Harry drew up a dossier about how a descendant from African slaves ruling the Commonwealth would heal the hurt of slavery. Harry also believes that he is a spiritual son of Africa and with their popularity in Australia and New Zealand, they were meant for the role.
As the head of the Commonwealth is an elected position - Harry and Meghan are quietly convinced they can be elected into the position over William and possible over Charles when the time comes. They believed that the Commonwealth position given to them by the Queen was her blessing for their greater role.

I am taking this as something from the Daily Express - but I am placing it here both to show that we have cross the Rubicon with regard to confused reporting about the couple when even the outrageous is been looking at for truth - and also to be a point holder. IF in the future someone at a CWHOS meeting brings it up for debate.

This is very interesting, I wonder what conditions one has to fulfil in order to be able to be head of commonwealth.
ETA I’ve just been on wikipedia to look up, and while there is no defined condition, I have the impression that it should be a head of state or government. I think that following The Queen’s death they might ammend their regulations to provide a clearer way of electing their head of commonwealth.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Harry and Meghan are regretting the day they ever signed on for this "version" of a Netflix Series. I'm also betting Netflix regrets it too.
Oprah got the scoops for free. Netflix, looks like they got played by The Sussex's. Who sadly think they are smarter, and wheeler - dealer Hollywood Players.
This first series was a boring, self indulgent, ego trip for two narcissists who literally believe their "love story" is one for the ages. It isn't.

My personal favorite revelation from this comedy was them and ALL their idiotic friends celebrating their "Engagement" in animal print "onsies" at a Party. Not Halloween, an Engagement Party. Were Eugenie and Jack there ? Dressed in adult onsies too ? Pathetic. Does any of that mid thirty age crowd have any self respect ?

That being said, I believe that next weeks installment will be much darker. Cruel allegations about how everything supposedly turned for them after the Wedding. I believe pointed and unmistakable references to Family members will be made.
Netflix needs its "pound of flesh", as Shakespeare once wrote

If this weeks bland and boring episodes did nothing but set the the Sussex's up for ridicule, I bet next week will be very, very damaging to their status and brand.
A vindictive and revenge driven three episodes. Those will be the ones she was referring to when she said "our story MIGHT NOT be the way that we would have told it".

I'm sure Meghan, I'm sure......

Last edited:
Claire, thanks for the information.
While I believe that Harry and Meghan would love the positions as Heads of The Commonwealth to happen.........
There is simply no way, it ever, ever will.
And the UK, Aussie, New Zealand, European and yes, American reactions to The Harry and Meghan Comedy Hours just prove it to me. Their reputations are diminishing daily.

Last edited:

Good timing, Claire, because I was actually musing over this idea last night - wondering if Harry and Meghan had somehow convinced themselves Harry could be named as Head of the Commonwealth, and the 'trashing' of it in the show is because that didn't happen.

Charles was confirmed as future Head of the Commonwealth barely a month before their wedding, and there had been chatter about who should hold the role upon the Queen's passing for some time before that event. There was open acknowledgement that the HotC did NOT have to be the monarch. Did Harry and Meghan think it could be them?

I didn't post this idea last night because I thought it was too ridiculous, and just me thinking with my tinfoil hat on. Which it may very well be, but I'm not the only one willing to entertain the idea, it seems.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom