Meghan Markle: Wedding Dress Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, has anyone given any further thought to the idea that Meghan could wear a Stella McCartney creation? Last night we saw Meghan wearing Stella McCartney at what I would consider her most important "royal" engagement so far - as in family event - and the thought struck me of the possibility.....then I found this:

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/uk/ba...-mccartney-designing-the-royal-wedding-dress/

I don’t know if this means she’ll design the wedding dress, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there are some contact between KP and her at this point. She seems to be a designer that Meghan will use quite often in her royal life. We’ve seen that name repeated in her wardrobe already.

So, has anyone given any further thought to the idea that Meghan could wear a Stella McCartney creation? Last night we saw Meghan wearing Stella McCartney at what I would consider her most important "royal" engagement so far - as in family event - and the thought struck me of the possibility.....then I found this:

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/uk/ba...-mccartney-designing-the-royal-wedding-dress/

I wouldn't rule it out. I mean all the rumored designers make somewhat sense and you can twist it into a likely option. If she not the wedding dress she could also be the reception dress. But I am sure she and Meghan likely will be working together in some way in the future. She clearly is a fan of her stuff.

Stella McCartney has come up periodically as a possibility, but I really hope that Meghan has chosen a designer who routinely creates wedding gowns for big, formal weddings. Wedding gown construction requires a whole different set of skills than evening gowns or cocktail dresses, and I wasn't under the impression that that was part of Stella McCartney's regular portfolio.
I feel exactly the same. The creation of a wedding gown often includes a corset for want of a better word. I saw what happens when you don't know what you're doing when I was watching a fashion show that included three or four strapless ball gowns and a wedding gown. As the models sashayed down the runway the bodice of the gowns moved one way and the bust of the model moved the other way. They were in no way fitted but rather made for someone to fit them and a major fail.

Almost any time she is seen wearing a designer the question comes up 'is that her wedding designer'. Like Burberry recently, Ralph and Russo. Not sure I would consider the queen's birthday concert her biggest event so far.

Stella isn't really a bridal designer. Nor do I think her designs have the presence for a venue like St George's.

Meghan needs a designer who can both design for the venue. And has the team who can build the gown to fit and work properly.

The train will be shorter than Catherine's since she will be Queen.

The train will be shorter than Catherine's since she will be Queen.

I feel like this is the same thing as the tiara. Just because Kate choose something, doesn't mean everybody else is now going to be limited by it. The train will be appropriate between what Meghan wants and the feel of the Chapel.

Nothing about Kate's wedding dress will effect or limit Meghan.

LaRae

I feel like this is the same thing as the tiara. Just because Kate choose something, doesn't mean everybody else is now going to be limited by it. The train will be appropriate between what Meghan wants and the feel of the Chapel.

That and Kate's tiara was so small in stature (though stunning) that it would be super hard for Meghan to have a smaller one unless it was custom made that way (and it would be super tiny).

I think Meghan's train will be appropriate to the location and style of her dress - regardless of whether it's longer or not. But since she's getting married in a chapel - I do think it will be shorter than Kate's just because a chapel length train is shorter than both a cathedral and royal cathedral length train.

I think Meghan could get away with just about any length train she chose to wear. St. George's chapel has the grandeur to accommodate something the length of Catherine's, but she could also, with the right dress, wear a much shorter train and look wonderful. The one thing I'm positive about is that we won't be seeing a lot of frouf or fluff, no matter how long the train is.

I think Meghan could get away with just about any length train she chose to wear. St. George's chapel has the grandeur to accommodate something the length of Catherine's, but she could also, with the right dress, wear a much shorter train and look wonderful. The one thing I'm positive about is that we won't be seeing a lot of frouf or fluff, no matter how long the train is.

Based on her engagement photo dress I am thinking Meghan could surprise us all with a lacy dress with lots of sparkling things. Maybe. ;) Her first wedding dress had sparkle.

Last edited:
:previous: You may be right! Anything is possible, but I'm still betting sleek and minimalist with a surprise twist. Guess we'll find out soon enough. ;)

:previous: After (fortunately) not seeing what was under the jacket over the green dress I get the feeling that just about any style is a possibility except for a meringue and that only because she specifically said she didn't like them and would never wear one!

That and Kate's tiara was so small in stature (though stunning) that it would be super hard for Meghan to have a smaller one unless it was custom made that way (and it would be super tiny).

I think Meghan's train will be appropriate to the location and style of her dress - regardless of whether it's longer or not. But since she's getting married in a chapel - I do think it will be shorter than Kate's just because a chapel length train is shorter than both a cathedral and royal cathedral length train.

I do feel like Kate's train didn't stand to the grandeur of WA.

For some reason I can see Meghan having a court length train that is part of the dress itself flowing from the waist. Especially if she is going to opt for having a second dress for the reception and party afterwards.

I don't see her going all out with a lengthly train. Perhaps something similar to the court train in this link.

Which Wedding Dress Train Fits You Best? Learn About the 6 Different Types Here! - Asia Wedding Network
That train is going to be underwhelming. That's about the size of Sophie's train. I always kinda felt like Sophie's dress was eh, and didn't like the train either.

First time I've commented on this - and I think its likely to be in the Charlene mode - slim fitting (her frame needs that); skimming the shoulders and a small (evening dress type) train.

No tiara but maybe hair ornaments - understated. As for the veil - hair up and veil pinned into that - a bit like Pippa.

If it wasn't a royal wedding, she would have flowers in her hair.

Nothing about Kate's wedding dress will effect or limit Meghan.

LaRae

Well it does really if Meghan wore a dress with train twice as long Kate it would look out of place. Being a member of the BRF is all about knowing your place in it

There's nothing to indicate there would be an issue if Meghan had a longer train than Kate. The only reason it would look out of place is if the dress is 'bigger' than then venue. There's no attempt to upstage anyone because the train is longer.

LaRae

I fear the dress will be slim fitting as well which is sad; those kinds of wedding dresses just seem to normal to be a wedding dress. They are more suited to a fancy gala or award ceremony.

I'm still looking for her to go modified A-Line. I don't expect anything fitted.

LaRAe

Well it does really if Meghan wore a dress with train twice as long Kate it would look out of place. Being a member of the BRF is all about knowing your place in it

For goodness’ sake, no one said she will have a much longer dress. Just that she won’t be limited because Kate chose something 7 years ago. She’ll make the decision based on what she wants.

I'm still looking for her to go modified A-Line. I don't expect anything fitted.

LaRAe

I agree. You can have a minimalist look with a modified A-line.

And I keep seeing her being petite mentioned by people here and in the fashion thread. Can we just establish that she’s not petite? She’s skinny, but by no means short. She just happens to be surrounded by people that are unusually tall. I remember I kept thinking Patrick J Adam was short while watching them on Suits, but he’s actually 6 ft tall. Meghan is definitely not considered petite.

Last edited:

Is there a new royal 'protocal'??? Her dress cant be more expensive. Her tiara cant be larger. Now her train has to be shorter. Does the protocol state how much shorter??? Maybe a foot per each place away from the throne Harry is?? :lol:

Ones place in the pecking order of the royal family doesn't denote length of train. Or size of tiara. The length of Kate's train was her choice, and it is Meghan's choice as well.

No one is going to look at Meghan and say 'oh look her train is a foot longer then Kate's, she thinks she is better then Kate.' :ermm:

If her train is shorter it will be her personal style, nothing else. Meghan seems a bit more streamlined and modern. A shorter train likely suits her.

And I keep seeing her being petite mentioned by people here and in the fashion thread. Can we just establish that she’s not petite? She’s skinny, but by no means short. She just happens to be surrounded by people that are unusually tall. I remember I kept thinking Patrick J Adam was short while watching them on Suits, but he’s actually 6 ft tall. Meghan is definitely not considered petite.

Thank you for saying this. :cool: Meghan is 5'7". With 3" heels she still looks 'short' next to Harry, and especially William. Kate at 5'9", add 3" heels, still looks shorter than William (who's 6'3"), and will be taller than Meghan. Meghan is very slim so that she looks positively elfin at times. ;) Meghan is actually the same height as Queen Letizia of Spain whose husband towers over her at almost 6'6".

Last edited:
Is there a new royal 'protocal'??? Her dress cant be more expensive. Her tiara cant be larger. Now her train has to be shorter. Does the protocol state how much shorter??? Maybe a foot per each place away from the throne Harry is?? :lol:

Ones place in the pecking order of the royal family doesn't denote length of train. Or size of tiara. The length of Kate's train was her choice, and it is Meghan's choice as well.

No one is going to look at Meghan and say 'oh look her train is a foot longer then Kate's, she thinks she is better then Kate.' :ermm:

If her train is shorter it will be her personal style, nothing else. Meghan seems a bit more streamlined and modern. A shorter train likely suits her.

Indeed there is no protocol as to train length for a wedding dress as their would be for robes of the royal family and peers at a coronation.

St George's chapel is a substantial building with plenty of space and scale for a substantially long train. Generally I think it will all depend on the style of the dress and a suitably long train that fits that scale.

Still think Ralph and Russo have the knack to create a beautiful wedding gown with the right cut and their work is to die for !

Hoping Meghan goes with someone who has a prior knowledge of wedding gowns . Coz this dress will go down in history !

OT but I mean, Kate's train is pretty short for Westminster Abbey (is hers the shortest one among the royal brides'?), and her tiara is pretty small (you can't find a smaller one from the vault...). Anyway the only thing that will affect her choice is her (+Harry) preference and the location, it has nothing to do with Kate. Kate is the wife of the future King doesn't mean that every royal bride after her in this generation has to be limited by her wedding choices. If BRF really emphasizes such thing then Margaret probably shouldn't wear a wedding tiara which is bigger than her sister. Regarding the train length, I guess probably around 3m which same as Sophie's, but I hope it will be longer as to me Sophie's is too short for St George's Chapel. (Sometimes I think BRF now prefers something more "lowkey", no more extremely long train like Diana's and Sarah's)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom