Meghan Markle: Wedding Dress Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew someone would run with the whole "it's too fitted" take. ? I don't think it is, but certainly, she could go with something little looser but still a similar style.

Me either! When Meghan said she liked a slim fitting wedding dress she never thought that she would be marrying a British prince in St. George's Chapel at Windsor Castle with a worldwide audience of millions.
She's going to have to change her idea of a wedding dress to fit with the circumstances and occasion.

Ironically, I've stated this exact sentiment several times now. I just don't see the dress I linked as inappropriate for the occasion or venue. I think it's a nice blend, actually, of royal appropriate and what she said she previously liked.

Last edited:
Actually, I was more referring to Carolyn Bassette-Kennedy`s wedding gown since that was the gown which Meghan favours. The linked gown is wonderful.

I think Meghan's engagement choice (black with gold) lets us know that she can go dramatic if she decides to. I am hoping she splashes out on the material, with crystals and stuff. The actual architecture of the dress could be very simple, very classic, even form fitting to a degree, but made compelling for the venue with beautiful textures and 'glittery' (I say that advisedly) nuance. That's what I am hoping to see. :flowers:

Do we know if they are having a morning, afternoon, or evening wedding? :cool:

:previous: We don't know but its highly likely they will follow the usual royal/upper class root in the UK: late morning ceremony, lunch reception, evening party. I don't see them pulling an Edward.

I love the upper detail of this. The stunning beading. Cant see the bottom but it looks like perhaps too close fitted, but the top is what I focus on

https://www.weddingomania.com/the-h...unning-beaded-wedding-dresses/pictures/25126/

Maybe with a beautiful drop waist and full skirt.

On what side of St. George's Chapel will the Royal Family be seated? On what side of the chapel will the bride's family be seated?

Saab's latest Bridal collection is divine. I DO think she absolutely NEEDS to go with a British designer, but maybe some of these silhouettes should be in consideration for inspiration? I know she seems to like minimal and sleek, but her engagement gown was quite outside that norm, so maybe she will do something different for her wedding gown too?

Love the idea of a simple dress with a dramatic veil:
ELIE SAAB - Bridal - Spring 2018

The full skirt (with a longer veil and train) and the applique on this gown would love stunning with an updo from Meghan and the Strathmore

ELIE SAAB - Bridal - Spring 2018

This is my favorite. This kind of veil in St Georges is just stunning in concept. Lovely shape and dramatic, but ultimately with simple details to make a statement:

Front: Back:

Last edited:
Not a fan of the first Saab link. The second one is better except for the bodice. That would need to be changed. It's not a very wow dress though.

LaRae

Well truth be told, I looked at Ralf and Russo gowns and cringed. I've looked at various designer websites and wedding gown websites but, a simple google of Royal and Aristocratic wedding gowns show a totally different take on wedding gowns.

Admittedly there is a lot of lace, but in a surprising number of cases I found plain gowns and drop dead gorgeous veils. No illusion gowns and no "celebrity' styles which seem designed to ensure the dress is the star rather than the bride. There are instead individual gowns made for the bride to be the star,

That is not to say that there isn't plenty of silk, satin, chiffon, lace, embroidery, beading, etc. It is just that the "look" is demure but memorable. Some don't worry about the covering of the neck, shoulders or arms if their veil is heavy lace.

But overall it just seems they are all in a class of their own.

The article stated: As is tradition, the family of the groom will likely be seated on the right side and the family of the bride on the left, when looking at the altar.
This is the information I was seeking.

You didn't even have to click on the link, I actually said right in my post that the groom's family sits on the right side. But glad that answered your question :flowers:

Still think it belonged in the wedding muses thread. Don't see what this has to do with her wedding dress.

Well truth be told, I looked at Ralf and Russo gowns and cringed. I've looked at various designer websites and wedding gown websites but, a simple google of Royal and Aristocratic wedding gowns show a totally different take on wedding gowns.

Admittedly there is a lot of lace, but in a surprising number of cases I found plain gowns and drop dead gorgeous veils. No illusion gowns and no "celebrity' styles which seem designed to ensure the dress is the star rather than the bride. There are instead individual gowns made for the bride to be the star,

That is not to say that there isn't plenty of silk, satin, chiffon, lace, embroidery, beading, etc. It is just that the "look" is demure but memorable. Some don't worry about the covering of the neck, shoulders or arms if their veil is heavy lace.

But overall it just seems they are all in a class of their own.

Meghan is not an aristocratic British bride. Nor should she be held to such standards even if she is marrying a British prince.

Just because a gown is not 'demure' doesn't make it 'celebrity'.

All we know for sure is it will cover the shoulders (not sure where neck and arms came into discussion). Some brides, even aristocratic, may not follow the older guidelines, but the British royal brides certainly do.

because a gown is not 'demure' doesn't make it 'celebrity'.

Indeed, but it does make it unsuitable to make solemn vows before God...

:previous: Perhaps I should have said elegant but modest rather than demure, with no thigh-high slits, daring decolletages and applique on illusion material with strategically placed lace or beading.

It is amazing that so many of them also eschew almost ubiquitous Nth American trend for strapless gowns. Also wearing a veil is still the overwhelming choice in Europe as opposed to Nth America although wearing a blusher is the exception rather than the rule in Europe.

On a personal note, I would not like to see Meghan wearing a blusher. Somehow it seems fake for a second wedding or a woman over 25. It's a very "innocent" tradition that can come across as jarring when paired with modern gowns

:previous: Perhaps I should have said elegant but modest rather than demure, with no thigh-high slits, daring decolletages and applique on illusion material with strategically placed lace or beading.

It is amazing that so many of them also eschew almost ubiquitous Nth American trend for strapless gowns. Also wearing a veil is still the overwhelming choice in Europe as opposed to Nth America although wearing a blusher is the exception rather than the rule in Europe.

On a personal note, I would not like to see Meghan wearing a blusher. Somehow it seems fake for a second wedding or a woman over 25. It's a very "innocent" tradition that can come across as jarring when paired with modern gowns

It's not really amazing when you consider that royal and aristocratic brides are almost certainly having their gowns custom made and the main reason for the Tyranny of the Strapless Wedding Gown is that it's much, much easier to design and modify than a dress that has sleeves. Given that most brides buying off the rack have a gown that comes in 2 sizes too big and then has to be altered for them, the bridal gown industry has made it easy on themselves to alter those dresses by mostly just offering strapless gowns.

Like Meghan, the brides you're talking about will have a one-of-a-kind gown (at least until the knockoffs), not anything that we can see on any website now. Since it's being made for them, and will start from a muslin rather than a mass-produced dress, they can have whatever they want. And strapless dresses are largely uncomfortable and not universally flattering, so it's not shocking that they're underrepresented among people who can afford to have a bespoke gown.

I'd love to see her in a sacque back style duchesse satin gown.

Indeed, but it does make it unsuitable to make solemn vows before God...

So unless you are covered from head to toe in a 'demure' look you are not appropriate for church :ermm:

By those standards Stephanie de lannoy's stunning gown would have been inappropriate for the catholic cathedral due to the low back. Certainly wouldn't be considered 'demure'.

You don't need to look like you belong in 'sound of music' to be appropriate.

I'd love to see her in a sacque back style duchesse satin gown.

I hope we just mean the train, and not the overall style of those dresses. The Watteau train (the post 18th century version) are beautiful.

The issue though is that when done proper, they look like a cape. A Watteau train is meant to start just below the shoulders. Though I am a huge fan of a cape style gown, it makes wearing a veil hard to do. It seems likely she would wear a veil.

https://www.sposamore.com/img/p/1/6/1/8/2/16182.jpg

https://www.jjshouse.com/A-Line-Pri...ffon-Wedding-Dress-With-Ruffle-002000573-g573

Not impossible, as Lady Charlotte Wellesley did. But I guess it helped that the material of the train was so drastically different then the veil, it was a contrast.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b4/7e/76/b47e7654cade3f8b918695a57f2ac8b5.jpg

But some so named Watteau trains start lower down, and could work with a veil.

Last edited:
It's likely that she'll have two gowns. I'm thinking a sheath for the reception and an A-line or modified for the ceremony.

I think so too...like Kate did (and I loved her second dress)...not sure about a sheath though if she plans to do some dancing. It's becoming more common in the U.S. too, changing into the party dress.

LaRae

Yes, two gowns definitely seem to be all the rage at many weddings. While at the reception every bride with a detachable train removes it and the veil is draped over the arm for the cutting of the cake and opening walz.

The break between the formal reception and the evening party is usually a chance for the bride to ditch the dress, veil and tiara for a more comfortable evening gown to dance the night away.

I loved Madeleine's appropriation of one of her mother's timeless gala gowns with spaghetti straps and a bodice covered in ivory pearl beading and romantic net and chiffon skirt. I did not however, like Catherine's gown. It seemed Sarah Burton was trying to revive cone bras. Now that is a look I will not forget.

I think so too...like Kate did (and I loved her second dress)...not sure about a sheath though if she plans to do some dancing. It's becoming more common in the U.S. too, changing into the party dress.

LaRae

A lot of sheath aren't that tight, so it's easier to dance in unlike a trumpet or mermaid.

Yeah true..some of them are looser, not fitted as close to the body.

LaRae

I hope we just mean the train, and not the overall style of those dresses. The Watteau train (the post 18th century version) are beautiful.

The issue though is that when done proper, they look like a cape. A Watteau train is meant to start just below the shoulders. Though I am a huge fan of a cape style gown, it makes wearing a veil hard to do. It seems likely she would wear a veil.

Not sure that I see Meghan wearing an elaborate train but I do like how it's styled in the second link. Adds a nice bit of flair.

I wouldn't want Meghan to wear a blusher, just because my personal preference is no blusher. I think they just look kind of silly, like the bride is too shy or something to let her face be bare at her own wedding. I'm not big on veils either, but it seems like the occasion warrants it.

The profile is okay..not crazy about the fabric.

LaRae

Milla Nova 2018 Wedding Dresses Collection | Wedding Forward

I can totally see Meghan in the first dress . I think this would be closest to her actual dress

I love gown styles like that first one. Perfectly regal - a tiara and veil would be such a simple royal statement.

Ugh I love that gown.

I do think we'd get complaints about it being too plain though - but I worry embellishment would ruin the simple lines of it.

But I do think it would need embellishment for Meghan... Miranda Kerr's gown was a similar silhouette - she added pearls or crystal embellishment all over if I remember correctly.

It's not really amazing when you consider that royal and aristocratic brides are almost certainly having their gowns custom made and the main reason for the Tyranny of the Strapless Wedding Gown is that it's much, much easier to design and modify than a dress that has sleeves. Given that most brides buying off the rack have a gown that comes in 2 sizes too big and then has to be altered for them, the bridal gown industry has made it easy on themselves to alter those dresses by mostly just offering strapless gowns.

Like Meghan, the brides you're talking about will have a one-of-a-kind gown (at least until the knockoffs), not anything that we can see on any website now. Since it's being made for them, and will start from a muslin rather than a mass-produced dress, they can have whatever they want. And strapless dresses are largely uncomfortable and not universally flattering, so it's not shocking that they're underrepresented among people who can afford to have a bespoke gown.

Please fashion gods, please don't let Meghan wear a strapless gown of any sort. If Kate did one thing right with her gown - it was that it had sleeves and that ended the tyranny of strapless gowns in bridal collections over the past few years.

Please please please let Meghan have real sleeves - not cap sleeves, not sleeves that are essentially glorified straps.

I don't wanna go back to the days where bridal designers almost exclusively carried strapless gowns.

I hate that somehow this trend became synonymous with American bridal culture.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom