Meghan Markle: Wedding Dress Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey who is Charles s walking down the aisle?

Alexandra Knatchbull. She is the daughter of Norton Knatchbull (now Earl Mountbatten of Burma). Norton and Charles are close friends (as well as of course related) and Norton serves as once of Prince William's godfathers. Alexandra was Diana's goddaughter. Her father was present at the wedding. There was some question whether it was due to ill health, or still bad feelings over him running off with a mistress for a while, which led her to ask Charles instead.

Last edited:
Which newspapers don't have an agenda? I think I missed them and would love to see a media outlet that was not biased against Meghan.

I haven’t seen a lot biased against her
Because they don’t rave about her daily doesn’t mean they are biased. If anything I see more the other way.

I haven’t seen a lot biased against her
Because they don’t rave about her daily doesn’t mean they are biased. If anything I see more the other way.

I think overall she has been mostly praised though the Mail and Mirror have had their moments were they are outlandish. But they are called out for it like when they praised Kate for hugging kids and then bashed Meghan for doing the same thing literally a day later. That stuff doesn't go unnoticed. But it is all for clicks. Meghan is the hot new thing so everyone and everything will be compared to her. It will die down eventually.

When did she say that? She said that for this wedding? Somehow I am doubting she would go for the slinky look at this wedding. :cool:

Carolyn Bessette wedding dress | The Enchanted Manor

In looking at the Carolyn Besset Kennedy wedding dress I came across Caroline Kennedy Schlossberg's wedding gown and it really stands the test of time imo. Interesting gown. :flowers: Best of both worlds: fitted and poofy.

http://theenchantedmanor.com//wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Caroline-and-Ed-at-the-church-1.jpg
That dress is ugly as sin

That dress is ugly as sin.

:lol: Well, it's a sin I would commit. ;) It looks comfy. Something close fitting I always find comfortable (if made of the right material) and with the decorations it makes it less obviously slinky, and then there is the poofy bottom to swish around with. I think it nicely takes in both elements. I particularly like the uniquely fitted/designed top.

What about that dress was slinky :ohmy: I guess comparing it to a nun's habit perhaps. :D

What about that dress was slinky :ohmy: I guess comparing it to a nun's habit perhaps. :D

Carolyn Besset Kennedy's wedding dress was about as slinky as they come. :huh: That you think a nun would be wearing such, good grief. We come from different worlds, methinks. You're punking me!

It looks like a nightgown.

LaRae

Carolyn Besset Kennedy's wedding dress was about as slinky as they come. :huh: That you think a nun would be wearing such, good grief. We come from different worlds, methinks. You're punking me!

I thought Xenia was referring to Carolyn Kennedy Schloshberg's dress.

And I assumed you did as well, from the decorations hiding the slinky, and poofy bottom comments. Nothing puffy or decorated about Carolyn Besset's.

Last edited:
I thought Xenia was referring to Carolyn Kennedy Schloshberg's dress.

And I assumed you did as well, from the decorations hiding the slinky, and poofy bottom comments. Nothing puffy or decorated about Carolyn Besset's.

I get you don't like the Kennedy-Schloshberg dress, but allow others the dignity of their opinions even when they are not your own. :ermm: Just sayin'.

Slinky as in 'form-fitting'. The Kennedy-Schloshberg dress has a form fitting top (like a slinky dress) and a poofy bottom (like many would like to see). My point stands: the Kennedy-Schloshberg dress has the elements from both, with the top's decorations minimizing the slinky effect (it would have) because it is form fitting. Without those decorations the top would definitely be in the category of slinky. JMO. Leave it at that.

I get you don't like the Kennedy-Schloshberg dress, but allow others the dignity of their opinions even when they are not your own. :ermm: Just sayin'.

Slinky as in 'form-fitting'. The Kennedy-Schloshberg dress has a form fitting top (like a slinky dress) and a poofy bottom (like many would like to see). My point stands: the Kennedy-Schloshberg dress has the elements from both, with the top's decorations minimizing the slinky effect (it would have) because it is form fitting. Without those decorations the top would definitely be in the category of slinky. JMO. Leave it at that.

For the love of :bang: I never said you couldn't have an opinion. I asked you how a cupcake dress is slinky. Thank you for answering :flowers::flowers::flowers:

Usually slinky refers to something might out of delicate (like silk) material close fitting like a nighty or lingeray. So yes I was confused at the use of the word to describe an 80's t-shirt top wedding dress. Thanks for clarifying.

BTW do you read your own posts? Honest question. As I am so confused. :ermm:

My comment to your first post about the dress being slinky was

What about that dress was slinky I guess comparing it to a nun's habit perhaps.

And you responded

Carolyn Besset Kennedy's wedding dress was about as slinky as they come. That you think a nun would be wearing such, good grief. We come from different worlds, methinks. You're punking me!

Now, suddenly, your comment was actually referring to Schloshberg's dress. I am sorry but how is anyone supposed to know which dress you are talking to when you don't even know?

Agreed, Besset's looks like a nighty in a way, and does fit the 'slinky' description.

Carolyn Besset Kennedy's dress she wore to marry JFK Jr. was beautiful and indeed slinky. That is a timeless dress IMO because you can't discern which decade she got married in. That was a pretty dress, I also believe she got married in the evening.
Carolyn Kennedy (JFK Jr's sister) had a dress that doesn't fit the slinky description imo but that doesn't mean we have to argue over it. I am a fan of "cupcake dresses" but her's just isn't my thing; and I like the description of it as a 80s t shirt top dress.
BTW, her mother's wedding dress was exquisite.

:previous: To each their own. Personally I think Caroline Kennedy's wedding dress definitely looks like a long length t-shirt with fluttery bits and serious poofy elements from the skirt.

Carolyn Bisset's wedding gown looks like a silk negligee missing it's Peignoir. I'm just hoping there isn't any lingerie swanning up the aisle at St Georges Chapel.:previous:

Carolyn's dress doesn't stand the test of time to me, but it's not as horrible as say Diana's dress, or Fergie's. Those are absolutely hideous. Iconic, but still hideous and wouldn't even touch it if I got money for it.

Caroline's dress however, is as timeless as they come. Though the fabric is kind of outdated to me. Nobody with a less than perfect physique looks good in silk.

Now the favorite is said to be Stewart Parvin.

I wasn't that keen on Zara's dress, though he would be a very safe choice, I suppose.

I don't know if I hated Zara's dress so much because of the design or because it fit badly....I think a little of each. :ermm:

But from the neck up she was a dream.

I agree with MARG...Caroline Kennedy's dress was not my favorite, even though I have never seen her so radiant before or since. The fit was as perfect as could be. But it was Carolina Herrera doing the honors after all.

The late Carolyn Bessette was a more successful bride but very few women could wear that gown....and her shoes were all wrong IMO.

XeniaCasiraghi...Jacqueline Kennedy reportedly hated the gown she wore to marry then-
Sen. Jack Kennedy (her mother chose it!)but I think she was one of the most exquisite, timeless brides ever....take away that big round eyesore on the skirt and it would have been the perfect bridal gown.

Last edited:
Carolyn's dress doesn't stand the test of time to me, but it's not as horrible as say Diana's dress, or Fergie's. Those are absolutely hideous. Iconic, but still hideous and wouldn't even touch it if I got money for it.

Caroline's dress however, is as timeless as they come. Though the fabric is kind of outdated to me. Nobody with a less than perfect physique looks good in silk.

I suspect, given the comments, that you have switched the names. ;)

The names are Carolyn Bessett Kennedy. She is in the (genuinely) slinky (figure hugging) silk gown, that has a look of lingerie.

Caroline Kennedy Schlossberg is the one in the fitted upper and poofy lower part. Funny how tastes and opinions differ: this dress to me is timeless. One sees this style endlessly: fitted top to hips and then a swirl out. See it all the time. Timeless. With tons of variations, of course, but the style is rampant.

https://www.modaoperandi.com/alex-perry-bridal-fw18/tatum-embellished-gown

I could see Meghan wearing this. Is not that big , it's flashy enough for a royal wedding but without being fussy.

This is glamorous enough for a royal wedding without being fussy. Alex Perry makes alot of great clothes that I think Meghan can wear on engagements too.

No, not straps with her arms and chest completely exposed. I doubt it. Perhaps something with an interesting neckline and short sleeves, but I don't think skimpy straps or sleeveless plunging neckline for a royal bride.

Pronovias is out considering Spanish. But looking at the designs doesn't hurt. Meghan wont be taking a design that a designer already has out there. She will work with them. Pronovias has great examples of the simpler streamline gowns she has spoken of.

I think as long as she chooses a British designer, people aren't going to complain if she chooses a newer designer. Hopefully she chooses a designer who specializes in the style she wants. Yes, they will make a custom gown for her, but if you want a structural gown, you pick a designer who has talent in that area. This is a gown that you need to be the best quality, millions will see.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-9ub9wq47...0/pronovias-2015-wedding-dresses-KAIDEN_A.jpg

http://www.tillymintweddings.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/orville-1.jpg

http://www.gillianmillion.com/rw_co...anne-neville-beaded-cherish-wedding-dress.jpg

http://chicvintagebrides.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Jenny-Packham-Fall-20131.jpg

Wow, I love the first and third gowns linked above. I especially like the back detail on the third offering. For a sleek, structured look with simple but elegant lines, the first look is dynamite with class. The second look is a little bit too sleek and fitted for my taste. The third is closer to more traditional styling but with edgy details and clean lines for the silhouette. Also very nice uniquely styled cap sleeves.

The fourth selection is very interesting, but it's almost a flapper look, or bohemian styling, which I'd be surprised to see Meghan wear.

Last edited:
+1000 This collection is fabulous! Meghan has said that her wedding dress goal would be Caroline Besset Kennedy. I haven't really seen a British designer that leans in that direction until now. I really like the Pronovias collection but I think she'll go with a British designer. Suzanne Neville is my new fave.

I'll credit a commenter on Go Fug Yourself for suggesting this Pronovias dress. I love this style for Meghan. I really like the neckline and the rounded back. Dress feels romantic, elegant and sexy which aligns w/ the engagement photo vibe. Don't think Meghan will do as much lace and beading as Kate. Though I really liked Kate's dress too.

https://www.pronovias.com/ca/wedding-dress-flared-long-raigal-61017

This is one of the ones that was posted earlier in the thread and this still remains one of my favorites I've seen in this thread.

After reading so many pages, the thing I get stuck on now is the silhouette of the dress or should I say shape or lack of there of, idk the right term but with these types of dresses that kind of mold to your body in a way, I feel like comparisons to Pippa's dress at Kate's wedding would happen.

It is so hard looking at dresses and I don't even have to choose.

Pronovias won't be chosen but he definitely has designs that match what Meghan said about her style, I even found a wedding dress similar to her engagement dress, so if I post more his dresses are the examples I'll use.

Not a huge Philippa Lepley fan but I certainly wouldn't rule her out for Meghan. She has a number of looks I could see Meghan wearing.

https://www.hitched.co.uk/wedding-dresses/phillipa-lepley/clarabeau-anna-lace-drape.htm

This one, for example, has a Carolyn Bessette Kennedy feel to it, if Meghan still wanted to go for a similar look. It doesn't wow me but I like the way the lace looks and it's pretty and elegant enough, I think. (And it would need sleeves obviously.)

I don't think she's going to wear anything that fitted though.

LaRae

Me either! When Meghan said she liked a slim fitting wedding dress she never thought that she would be marrying a British prince in St. George's Chapel at Windsor Castle with a worldwide audience of millions.
She's going to have to change her idea of a wedding dress to fit with the circumstances and occasion.

Last edited:
I think she will too. The gown needs to fit the venue and meet the unspoken modesty guidelines. There are are some nice dresses out there with a similar profile but not as fitted to the body...they've been posted here already.

Besides she's had the beach wedding with the simple dress. Now she can have almost any dress she could ever imagine. We'll see if her inner princess comes out!

LaRae

https://www.pronovias.com/ca/wedding-dress-flared-long-raigal-61017

Lovely dress, a few adjustments and it would be amazing for her.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom