Meghan Markle: Wedding Dress Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am almost 100 percent sure we are not going to see Meghan in a strapless dress.

The embellishments could be very simple. A jeweled belt (diamonds etc)..a super brooch. It doesn't have to be bedazzled. Something like satin edging/banding can elevate a dress. Delicate embroidery (I don't think she's going to wear a heavy material) done very well could be a nice accent.

LaRae

https://www.facebook.com/bridalsbyl...31066050541/10159939276005542/?type=3&theater

LOVE the skirt.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
Given Meghan's outfit to Endeavor Funds, I think we are going to be surprised with what she comes up with. Although, I don't know how as we've gone through lots of options here.

If there's a dress we haven't seen (style-wise) I cannot imagine that it exists!! lol

I don't think she is going to do anything shocking or that surprising for a wedding dress. That's not the time to do it.

LaRae

:previous: I meant surprising as in people aren't expecting it. What we've seen from Meghan up til this point is that she will dress appropriate for the occasion, but she will also incorporate her individuality into it. I thought the McQueen suits was whole unexpected by most, and she looked like a badass in it.

Ah gotcha. I didn't expect her to wear a suit. I figured she would wear a skirt/dress or possibly dress pants. So the tux thing was a little surprising I guess? She looked great in it..but well dying for some more color or bling!

She's worn several styles when 'at work' and we've not really seen that many pics of her dressing up formal outside of work related events. Not sure which way she will jump on the big day....lace, big, elegant, closer to the body etc.

LaRae

Ah gotcha. I didn't expect her to wear a suit. I figured she would wear a skirt/dress or possibly dress pants. So the tux thing was a little surprising I guess? She looked great in it..but well dying for some more color or bling!

She's worn several styles when 'at work' and we've not really seen that many pics of her dressing up formal outside of work related events. Not sure which way she will jump on the big day....lace, big, elegant, closer to the body etc.

Right, it will be so interesting to discover Meghan's choice of wedding dress on her big day. I sincerely hope she breaks the habit of incessantly fiddling with her hair on her wedding day. ;) I suppose her hands will be kept busy holding the flowers.

Possibly perusing through gives a hint of Meghan's fashion and styling preferences/ tastes for cues as to what direction she might go in for her most important dress on the biggest day of her life. Obviously, her upcoming second wedding is much more significant and high profile.

Here is a very elegant wedding dress that's unusual in its moderately sleek smooth styling. I love the angular sloping neckline detail and long sleeves with ribbing at the wrists. I think it would look good on Meghan, but I'd love to see a photo in color as opposed to b&w:
https://www.pronovias.com/ca/wedding-dress-flared-long-raigal-61017

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: That Pronovias dress has been quite popular with many posters here. Been posted every few pages since start of thread :flowers: Most recently by Pranter about two pages back.

Looking back at past fashions she very rarely wears any pattern or design. She usually sticks to very structural looks without embellishment. The rare look had a little embroidery, one full dress which was brocade not lace. Gives me serious hope we wont get another 'lace' wedding dress.

Please fashion gods, please don't let Meghan wear a strapless gown of any sort. If Kate did one thing right with her gown - it was that it had sleeves and that ended the tyranny of strapless gowns in bridal collections over the past few years.

Please please please let Meghan have real sleeves - not cap sleeves, not sleeves that are essentially glorified straps.

I don't wanna go back to the days where bridal designers almost exclusively carried strapless gowns.

I hate that somehow this trend became synonymous with American bridal culture.

It wont be strapless. Simple reason....her shoulders have to be covered.

There is nothing wrong with capped sleeves. They aren't glorified straps IMO. And to be quite honest one of the only ways to have sleeves in warmer months unless you do lace sleeves. Full sleeves, even 3/4 sleeves in any material other then lace, gets warm in hotter months. Sophie did, so not out of question, but found her sleeves sloppy looking.

I'd rather cap sleeves then Meghan in another 'lace royal wedding dress'

Is this ‘her shoulders have to be covered’ a British rule?

Can she go off the shoulder like Charlene of Monaco, Victoria of Sweden, Claire of Belgium, Anita of the Netherlands, Mary of Denmark or Cristina of Spain?

Is this ‘her shoulders have to be covered’ a British rule?

Can she go off the shoulder like Charlene of Monaco, Victoria of Sweden, Claire of Belgium, Anita of the Netherlands, Mary of Denmark or Cristina of Spain?

Tradition in the Anglican church, the shoulders are meant to be covered. More modern weddings, many brides don't. But the BRF continues to follow the old tradition. Don't expect Meghan to be breaking this tradition.

I, too, think her dress will be structured, classic and minimalist with a small amount of embellishment. I can't see her doing the whole lace thing. It's too fussy for Meghan's usual style and reminiscent of Kate, IMO. With a simpler look, the focus can be on the quality of fabrics used (silk, brocade etc.) and the cut and skill of the dressmaker.

I do hope she goes for a striking, embroidered veil though. It would elevate the entire look and keep it from being too simple.

:previous: If it wasn't for the fact it is see-through it would be an amazing and suitably stunning gown for a second wedding. The historic style of the gown is very flattering and if the just lengthen the cape to make it a Watteau train it would look amazing (with added chiffon underskirts of course. Can you imagine that gown with a tiara?

Last edited:
I would love to see Meghan in something like this:
https://catchingtearsinrain.tumblr..../georgeshobeika-golden-dreams-georges-hobeika
I love the flowing cape/train design.

I'm wondering if she'll go this route (not the see-through aspect, of course ? ). Her first wedding gown had some splash on it, and her engagement dress had splash on it. I think we may well see simplicity in the dress' 'architecture' but with splash to suit the venue. :flowers: Meghan has an interesting eye for design.

:previous: If it wasn't for the fact it is see-through it would be an amazing and suitably stunning gown for a second wedding. The historic style of the gown is very flattering and if the just lengthen the cape to make it a Watteau train it would look amazing (with added chiffon underskirts of course. Can you imagine that gown with a tiara?

Yes I could.....in a Disney movie :ermm:

Sorry as lovely as a dress as it is, it screams 'princess bride' and not in the 'royal wedding' sense. But in the 'I always wanted to be Cinderella' wedding. Beyond that, all the adornment, it seems quite fussy considering Meghan's style we have seen so far.

Darn it, it seems my sartorial sarcasm is losing its subtlety!
Apologies, I am a little fatigued and I hope this is a temporary affliction.

Er...no I don't want to see that dress. It's a costume.

LaRae

I liked the skirt on the Nicole Spose gown very much and I could see Meghan wearing something like that. However, I fail to envision a suitable top for no other reason that we have not seen a lot of Meghan's evening wear and don't know what she likes.

Catherine's gown was classic Catherine in that it had the deep, narrow V that had become her trademark back then, but with Meghan . . . nope, we haven't got her 'style' stuck in our heads yet. Then again, who would have thought that Zara would go with a duster ruffle and a blusher veil?

I loved the Provonias "RAIGAL" but, on second thoughts, perhaps not. It clings to the form in such a way that Meghan would have to wear spanx from under the bust to below the knees and that would be fine for a wedding, but not the long formal photos, the formal Reception where she would be required to sit for a relatively long period of time and forget the wedding waltz.

She had input into the wedding dress she wore in Suits and she tried this one on:
https://firenewsfeed.com/image/aHR0...td2VkZGluZy1kcmVzcy5qcGc/c3RyaXA9YWxsJnc9Njc1

I liked the skirt on the Nicole Spose gown very much and I could see Meghan wearing something like that. However, I fail to envision a suitable top for no other reason that we have not seen a lot of Meghan's evening wear and don't know what she likes.

Catherine's gown was classic Catherine in that it had the deep, narrow V that had become her trademark back then, but with Meghan . . . nope, we haven't got her 'style' stuck in our heads yet. Then again, who would have thought that Zara would go with a duster ruffle and a blusher veil?

I loved the Provonias "RAIGAL" but, on second thoughts, perhaps not. It clings to the form in such a way that Meghan would have to wear spanx from under the bust to below the knees and that would be fine for a wedding, but not the long formal photos, the formal Reception where she would be required to sit for a relatively long period of time and forget the wedding waltz.

She had input into the wedding dress she wore in Suits and she tried this one on:

https://firenewsfeed.com/image/aHR0...td2VkZGluZy1kcmVzcy5qcGc/c3RyaXA9YWxsJnc9Njc1

Wow! She looks absolutely gorgeous in that dress.

She is likely to look gorgeous in anything she wears.

laRae

It's lovely. Very soft, and has the upper portion she favored for her first wedding gown. :flowers: Even down to the silver bit of splash at the waist. Of course, for this wedding the upper part would have to have all the modesty elements people here seem to think are 'required'. (I'm not 100% convinced of there being 'requirements' but I'm willing to go along. ;) )

Maybe we have a hint here? She was thinking for her character, but this one seems akin to her 'wedding style'. ;)

Last edited:
That looks like playing princess awful no frills please

Well according to this article from ABC, Meghan has chosen her gown designer and is now trying out designs... and she's requested something elegant and simple.

Meghan Markle has chosen wedding dress designer, has fitting at Kensington Palace: Source - ABC News

I'm hoping for a batteau neckline, cinched waist and modified a-line princess skirt in a substantial weight fabric (but not too hot). Just something that won't cling to her.

It's tough - because it's a spring wedding so it will likely not be that cool outside... probably 70s and possibly hotter.

I do not think she will wear a sheath or column gown... I think it's going to be a fuller skirt than that (have you seen the steps leading into the chapel? No way she's going to navigate that in a sheath skirt).

probably 70s and possibly hotter.

I doubt that, given the Windsor 'average' for May is 55f, and the Chapel is entirely of [cool] stone. It does have large Windows, but is well ventilated and the stone vaulted roof is high. Even on the hottest Day, and full of people I doubt it'd reach 70 in May outside OR in.

Well according to this article from ABC, Meghan has chosen her gown designer and is now trying out designs... and she's requested something elegant and simple.

Meghan Markle has chosen wedding dress designer, has fitting at Kensington Palace: Source - ABC News

I'm hoping for a batteau neckline, cinched waist and modified a-line princess skirt in a substantial weight fabric (but not too hot). Just something that won't cling to her.

It's tough - because it's a spring wedding so it will likely not be that cool outside... probably 70s and possibly hotter.

I do not think she will wear a sheath or column gown... I think it's going to be a fuller skirt than that (have you seen the steps leading into the chapel? No way she's going to navigate that in a sheath skirt).

IMO she chose her designer some time ago or at least had it narrowed down to a couple...afterall she and Harry knew this was coming for awhile now.

I agree she will not wear a sheath or a fitted skirt. Between the steps and the curtesy she's going to want room to move freely. Can you imagine doing those steps in a fitted skirt! :eek:

Some designs require a heavier material (like that really nice Pronovias that's been posted here) to look right and she'll be in that dress at least 3 or 4 hours before she can change.

I hope we get to see a photo of the second dress at the evening party.

LaRae

I doubt that, given the Windsor 'average' for May is 55f, and the Chapel is entirely of [cool] stone. It does have large Windows, but is well ventilated and the stone vaulted roof is high. Even on the hottest Day, and full of people I doubt it'd reach 70 in May outside OR in.

Oh - thanks for that! Well that's better then... so she can wear sleeves of some sort and not cap sleeves either (I hate those).

I still think she's going to do something more architectural (not over the top though) rather than rely on lace or heavy beading or embroidery for drama.

She might use her veil to add sparkle, embroidery, lace, etc... I could see her with an extremely dramatic veil and a simpler, more architecturally interesting gown.

Maybe pearl embellishment in a modern way? I've seen pearls used in an ombre effect (starts off dense and then gets lighter and more sparse)...

Just a little over 3 months now to go...!

She would great in a diamond/pearl necklace! Diana had several nice pieces that she could wear...or perhaps something from Harry as a bridal gift.

LaRae

^The Prince of Wales gave Harry's mother a Diamond Heart Shaped necklace after the birth of either William or Harry [I think William]. It hasn't been seen since Diana's divorce, and the Duchess of Cambridge hasn't worn it.

It would be 'just the ticket'..[can't find a pic, sadly].

Lovely..Charles has some great taste in jewelry! That would look very nice on Meghan.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom