Meghan Markle: Wedding Dress Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^The Prince of Wales gave Harry's mother a Diamond Heart Shaped necklace after the birth of either William or Harry [I think William]. It hasn't been seen since Diana's divorce, and the Duchess of Cambridge hasn't worn it.

It would be 'just the ticket'..[can't find a pic, sadly].

It was William. More here:
https://royalwatcherblog.com/2017/08/16/princess-dianas-heart-shaped-diamond-necklace/

Can’t say I’m a fan, and I can totally understand why Kate hasn’t worn it.

I rather like it, though I would love to see a close-up.

There's a pretty good look at it in the link I posted above.

LaRae

It 'has everything' IMHO.. multiple, deep family associations, a romantic motif, as well as being in Yellow Gold [Ms Markle's preferred Gold].

Last edited:
She could certainly pull it off. There is a lot of Diana's jewelry we've not seen..now that Harry's getting married I hope we start seeing more of it.

LaRae

IMO she chose her designer some time ago or at least had it narrowed down to a couple...afterall she and Harry knew this was coming for awhile now.

I agree she will not wear a sheath or a fitted skirt. Between the steps and the curtesy she's going to want room to move freely. Can you imagine doing those steps in a fitted skirt! :eek:

Some designs require a heavier material (like that really nice Pronovias that's been posted here) to look right and she'll be in that dress at least 3 or 4 hours before she can change.

I hope we get to see a photo of the second dress at the evening party.

LaRae

I can't imagine anyone navigating those steps with a slim skirt - you'd have to waddle up the stairs, lol.

And I hope we get a pic of her second dress too!

She could certainly pull it off. There is a lot of Diana's jewelry we've not seen..now that Harry's getting married I hope we start seeing more of it.

LaRae

I'd rather see that after the wedding. I feel like it's a bit too dainty and might get lost in the grandeur of a wedding gown, with veil, etc...

As for pearls - I meant pearl embellishment on the gown or veil.

Wedding dress designer

Ladbrokes has Erdem at 2/1

Roland Mouret at 3/1

Jenny Packham at 4/1

Last edited:
After the terrible dresses we saw in Sweden/Norway I am praying it is NOT Erdem.

Haven't heard of Mouret ....and has Meghan worn Packham before?

LaRae

Quick look at Mouret and Packham wedding dresses....not a fan.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick look at Mouret and Packham wedding dresses....not a fan.

LaRae

I think Meghan has a connection to Mouret - he's dressed her in the past and they are friends I think? So I could see him doing something for her... but I'm concerned it would be slightly too severe?

He doesn't really do embellishment. The ONLY one I could see having some promise is this one: https://www.rolandmouret.com/whitecollection/ella

But I think it's too plain - although I love the detail at the tip of the shoulder... that is very thoughtful - but the skirt would need to be a princess a-line gown and I don't think the zipper would be right. I'd also widen the neckline just a bit. But the fabric is nice.

Like I said - Mouret's gowns are typically very severe with a few architectural nips and tucks of fabric, but severe straight skirts and slim silhouettes. It's very modern but perhaps TOO modern.

Jenny Packham definitely does embellishment, but her designs are typically shapeless, or more like the slip dress variety, with embellishment.

Last edited:
Last edited:
That Mouret dress is worse than Mette-Marit's...it actually makes hers look better! I do like the shoulder detail but it's so blah..it doesn't say bride at all!

I know folks don't like to hear it because Kate used them but I think McQueen could be amazing for her.

That is a very pretty dress Opisi ..I like the shape.

LaRae

I haven't seen anything I like better, so far than the Ramona K. and the Pronovias dress.

LaRae

I haven't seen anything I like better, so far than the Ramona K. and the Pronovias dress.

LaRae

I still love this one too - just needs embellishment on the shoulders - maybe pearls and beading?

http://millanova.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Josephine1-889x1333.jpg

Or maybe not with that gorgeous sleeve detail... Maybe it could have some tone on tone beading on the train in a regal crest design? Similar to what Melissa Rivers did on the back of her gown (she had embroidery, crystals and beading that was based on the family crest of her future husband)?

That kind of embellishment could be very pretty... You could even do a very, very dramatic watteau train attached at the shoulders - with beading and embroidery on that with a fantastic veil too.

Last edited:
Gorgeous! Very much like the Pronovias! That sleeve detail is just lovely...now imagine more detail on the dress, embroidery with a silk thread in a slightly different shade..a gold..just enough to catch the light.

LaRae

Oh goodness, please not Erdem. Although to be fair, Erdem does have lovely pieces, Kate just gravitates toward the ugliest.

I have a feeling it will be Erdem. I would love to be surprised and have it be Westwood. I have a feeling Westwood will be Eugenie though. I have mentioned my love of R&R, but after the engagement dress fiasco, I doubt they will be it.

Gorgeous! Very much like the Pronovias! That sleeve detail is just lovely...now imagine more detail on the dress, embroidery with a silk thread in a slightly different shade..a gold..just enough to catch the light.

LaRae

Yep!! That's what I was thinking too!!! And not delicate embroidery either - something large scale, but done in a very pale gold so it only catches the light and looks almost tone on tone...

I am really obsessed with this dress... it's very similar in shape to Miranda Kerr's gown, but less severe because it's not stiff silk taffeta/dupioni or whatever stiff silk her gown was made of.

Miranda's stiff gown: https://assets.vogue.com/photos/596...w_1320,c_limit/Miranda-Kerr-Evan-Wedding.jpeg

I also don't like the neckline of this gown - way too prim... it would have looked better as a batteau neckline like the one we're talking about for Meghan...

Oh goodness, please not Erdem. Although to be fair, Erdem does have lovely pieces, Kate just gravitates toward the ugliest.

I have a feeling it will be Erdem. I would love to be surprised and have it be Westwood. I have a feeling Westwood will be Eugenie though. I have mentioned my love of R&R, but after the engagement dress fiasco, I doubt they will be it.

It could still be R&R - but given that Meghan said she wants simple and elegant, I think that might be a waste.

I realllly hope she chooses a strong silhouette and then adds just a touch of embellishment - or a lot but completely tone on tone so it reads as very little - and a standout veil with her tiara.

She is going to wear a tiara, right?

Fashion Maven do you follow the York girls?

Zaira I hope not...if any of Meghan's people are watching..NO Erdem!!!

LaRae

Yep!! That's what I was thinking too!!! And not delicate embroidery either - something large scale, but done in a very pale gold so it only catches the light and looks almost tone on tone...

I am really obsessed with this dress... it's very similar in shape to Miranda Kerr's gown, but less severe because it's not stiff silk taffeta/dupioni or whatever stiff silk her gown was made of.

Miranda's stiff gown: https://assets.vogue.com/photos/596...w_1320,c_limit/Miranda-Kerr-Evan-Wedding.jpeg

I also don't like the neckline of this gown - way too prim... it would have looked better as a batteau neckline like the one we're talking about for Meghan...

Not at all a fan of Miranda's gown except the shape (minus the neckline).

I wish I could find an example of the embroidery...but I think we are on the same page!

I hope she wears a tiara...I think she will!

LaRae

I still love this one too - just needs embellishment on the shoulders - maybe pearls and beading?

http://millanova.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Josephine1-889x1333.jpg

Or maybe not with that gorgeous sleeve detail... Maybe it could have some tone on tone beading on the train in a regal crest design? Similar to what Melissa Rivers did on the back of her gown (she had embroidery, crystals and beading that was based on the family crest of her future husband)?

That kind of embellishment could be very pretty... You could even do a very, very dramatic Watteau train attached at the shoulders - with beading and embroidery on that with a fantastic veil too.
Now that's what I call a STATEMENT GOWN and you are right, the sleeve detail is gorgeous and a Watteau train would be perfect (now if only we could pinch Liz's).

If someone really felt they had to gild the lily, so to speak, forget pearls. Catherine's skirt had gorgeous embroidery and pearl beading that was mostly lost in a sea of white in the daylight and in church. There are very few photos that do it justice.

But to be honest, that gown stands on its own merit. It's every strong and vibrant woman from Katherine Hepburn onward saying "go on, say something, I dare you"!

Alexander McQueen already messed up one royal dress. Besides the last thing Meghan needs is another reason for the media to compare her to Kate forever. Many many amazing designers in the UK, no need to sue the same as Kate.

Roland Mouret I am not sure why he is high bids. He is a French designer :ermm:

I like Diana's heart necklace but if any DIL wears it, it should be Kate. Yes it has a lot of family history....but for William. It was a gift for his birth. Be odd to see it on Harry's wife. Should be for Kate or Charlotte one day.

A sheath dress is not skin tight. One can walk up stairs without waddling :lol:

Must say I love the beautiful arm detail on this recent simple dress.

Oh, we're not worried about having room so she doesn't have to waddle. It's the curtseys to HM at the start of the recessions. ?

From what I have seen her wearing I wouldnt be surprised if she wore trousers.

Wearing trousers to work is not even comparable to what you wear on a wedding day in a royal chapel in front of millions ....it is 2018, women have been wearing trousers for 70 or 80 years now.

LaRae

Any wagers she won't wear white, ivory or cream?

She would look great in a blush color but I would be surprised if she wears anything but a shade of white/cream/ivory etc.

LaRae

One thing about wearing a fuller skirt too is that it easily hides those shaking and knocking knees of nervousness. I'm sure she's going to pull off both the processional up the stairs and curtsying to the Queen with grace but its got to be a very nervous time as she concentrates on getting it all right. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom