Meghan Markle: Wedding Dress Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think very well done embroidery as accent could be stunning.

LaRae

Something simple/elegant like this (biggest pic, on left)...add detailing. Could be stunning.

LaRae

Is the one on the left even embroidery?? Looks like a jeweled belt.

Honestly I like it as it is, without added embroidery or detailing, just wider straps for her shoulders. Too much embroidery can be like lace, making it far more fussy then needed.

Yes it's a jeweled belt...I'm talking about a simple dress and ADDING embroidery as accent.

LaRae

That would depend on the shade of the dress...but nothing in a great contrast (like blue or whatever).

LaRae

I do think that Meghan will be pretty much covered. However, I do remember seeing pics of Peter & Autumn's wedding. The bridal party including his sister were totally bare shoulders. Autumn had the same type of gown, but she wore a Little lace jacket. total see through, but a little lace jacket all the same.

It is not to say that Meghan would where a Strapless gown. But, it has been done in that chapel to go strapless. Maybe, because Peter P & down in the pecking order they had more le-way. Hell, Zara even had major tan lines going on. I thought that they all looked amazing.

It is one of the most beautiful gowns I have seen. However, all that lace and crystal embroidery weighed a ton and she really had to work at pulling it along.

One thing to take into account is that Meghan is petite and could quite easily end up swamped by her gown. While strapless gowns are frowned on for a royal bride, off the shoulder like Victoria's or wide boatnecked like the one showed earlier are quite acceptable.
I would be stunned if she wore a gown like HGD Stephanie's wedding gown:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/36/05/3a/36053ad11971047aaef63d751e2115be.jpg

That gown was simply amazing and divine.

Is the one on the left even embroidery?? Looks like a jeweled belt.

Honestly I like it as it is, without added embroidery or detailing, just wider straps for her shoulders. Too much embroidery can be like lace, making it far more fussy then needed.

Her arms don't have to be covered, Zara is proof of that. Simply her shoulders.

Why? How is she comparable to Anne or Camilla, other then second wedding?

Anne and Camilla were older women, both with semi grown or grown kids. Often when married older in life, even if first marriage, you avoid the more formal gowns and veils.

Anne had a church wedding, but it was a very small affair. Camilla had a civil ceremony. A veil and full gown at a registry office??? Even if she was younger, or first wedding, or both, it would have been over kill.

Both women had the huge church wedding. They both had the huge gowns and veils and trains the first time around. The reason many second time brides forego this kind of thing, is because they have already done it.

Meghan married on a beach and had none of this. She is not being married in a small private ceremony like Anne. She isn't being married in a registry office like Camilla. She is being married in a grand chapel (would be considered a cathedral if not part of the estate). All of this will obviously be taken into account.

It is one of the most beautiful gowns I have seen. However, all that lace and crystal embroidery weighed a ton and she really had to work at pulling it along.

One thing to take into account is that Meghan is petite and could quite easily end up swamped by her gown. While strapless gowns are frowned on for a royal bride, off the shoulder like Victoria's or wide boatnecked like the one showed earlier are quite acceptable.
She’s not that short, certainly wouldn’t be considered petite by normal standards. It’s just Harry and the Cambridges are taller than average.

In other words, nothing that high heels won't fix?

She's around 5'7 IIRC. I think she can pull off a big dress just fine. I just would be surprised to see her in a dress like Stephanie or a dress covered in lace. It doesn't seem to be her style.

I expect her to wear some sort of A-Line/modified A-Line though. That gives her a lot of styles to choose from.

LaRae

I know it has been reported that Meghan is 5'7' but from looking at her with Harry in pictures I'm thinking that is a bit of an exaggeration.
And she does have a slight build, a big dress could overwhelm her unless proportioned perfectly.

Last edited:
I think she's probably around 5'6 in thinking about them at the IV events (regular shoes) and the height difference. I'm 5'5 and the DH is 6'2 ..which is in the range of both of them give an inch or two.

LaRae

In other words, nothing that high heels won't fix?

Yup. Especially depending on how she wants to style her hair. She has long hair and a lot of it, so that helps as well.

In this day and age, I hardly think strapless is that controversial. A little jacket, bolero or shrug could be added for the church service and removed for the reception. I bet Countess Sophie's dress had spaghetti straps under the outer coat part. Pity we never got to see it. Or Camila's. (Although strapless has gone a little out of fashion now compared to the noughties).

(I have kind of kept up an interest in bridal fashion since my days working in bridal wear). My dress for our vow renewal is a one-shoulder dress, like the kind beloved of Meghan's late MIL Princess Diana. That's another style that could be topped with a jacket like Autumn Phillips.

Wraps are nice to cover the shoulders too. I had strapless for our church blessing with a matching wrap. However as we were already married (it took place 18 months after the wedding), I wore a tiara but no veil. I think a wrap or stole with veil might be too fussy unfortunately.

I know Meghan will probably go with BRF tradition and wear a tiara, but I would love to see her with diamanté or pearls scattered in her hair in an updo. It can look quite stunning. As can lots of tiny flowers. On the hair care products promo she did which somebody posted, the duchess-to-be looked wow-some with her hair up.

In this day and age, I hardly think strapless is that controversial. A little jacket, bolero or shrug could be added for the church service and removed for the reception. I bet Countess Sophie's dress had spaghetti straps under the outer coat part. Pity we never got to see it. Or Camila's. (Although strapless has gone a little out of fashion now compared to the noughties).

(I have kind of kept up an interest in bridal fashion since my days working in bridal wear). My dress for our vow renewal is a one-shoulder dress, like the kind beloved of Meghan's late MIL Princess Diana. That's another style that could be topped with a jacket like Autumn Phillips.

Wraps are nice to cover the shoulders too. I had strapless for our church blessing with a matching wrap. However as we were already married (it took place 18 months after the wedding), I wore a tiara but no veil. I think a wrap or stole with veil might be too fussy unfortunately.

I know Meghan will probably go with BRF tradition and wear a tiara, but I would love to see her with diamanté or pearls scattered in her hair in an updo. It can look quite stunning. As can lots of tiny flowers. On the hair care products promo she did which somebody posted, the duchess-to-be looked wow-some with her hair up.

I think the royal ladies don't do the bolero thing mainly because they have two wedding dresses, and the church dress won't be worn for the reception. It's certainly ok to have the second dress as strapless as it won't be in a church. That's more of a church rule than royal family rule, I think.

As for her hair, depending what she does it with it, she can have a tiara and scatter small flower or pearls in the back as well. I think that'd look gorgeous, in fact.

I generally don't comment as I get it wrong!
IMO I could see her in a shape similar to that of Queen Letizia (not the neckline though) and probably avoiding lace as much as possible to avoid the inevitable comparisons with Kate but then again I could be completely wrong ;)

Everything she wears will be compared to Kate...so I wouldn't let that stop me (if I was her) because Kate wore X.

LaRae

Meghan is 5'7", but somehow she looks way shorter and tinier than Kate. Kate is statuesque, but Meghan seems kind of wee.

Kate is 5'9 with long/lean straight torso. Meghan is lean too but has a shorter torso with longer legs and she has more hips, so you get the more curvy look, which probably breaks up the longer outline.

LaRae

I know it has been reported that Meghan is 5'7' but from looking at her with Harry in pictures I'm thinking that is a bit of an exaggeration.
And she does have a slight build, a big dress could overwhelm her unless proportioned perfectly.

I think she's actually that height, but she is slight, so she seems smaller than she is. I cannot think of why any woman would inflate her height.

Kate is 5'9 with long/lean straight torso. Meghan is lean too but has a shorter torso with longer legs and she has more hips, so you get the more curvy look, which probably breaks up the longer outline.

LaRae
Good point. Kate has no hips to speak of, and the leaner you are, the taller you appear.

I think she's actually that height, but she is slight, so she seems smaller than she is. I cannot think of why any woman would inflate her height.
It is something actors and actresses often do. I think her publicity info was the original source.

What different types of material can the bridal veil be made of?

Nylon, Silk, Silk blend, Net, Chiffon, Organza etc.

LaRae

One thing we all need to factor in is shape! Not being mean or anything, but Catherine has a good body for modelling, relatively tall and slim. Meghan, although not that much shorter (5'9" vs 5'7" ?), looks a lot shorter and is a lot curvier.

I found this incredible photo of Maya Buskila's wedding dress supposedly "identical" to Grace Kelly's:
Buskila . . . . . . insisted on the accuracy of the details that would be identical like the jewel to the head, the hairstyle, the length of the shawl, the veil, the volume of the dress, the lace and the colour of the cloth.

The designer of the dresses of the great bride, Danny Mizrahi, was in charge of the dress design and meticulous work value, which included the use of vintage fabrics, which were waiting for him in the storeroom, as if for Buskila's wedding.
Grace had an "hourglass figure" very small waist and proportionately larger bust and hips. By comparison, Maya has very little shape at all. Even knowing that I wasn't prepared for just how much a different body shape can make a gown. Saying this gown does not suit Maya is understating the situation.

http://www.nrg.co.il/images/archive/465x349/1/335/271.jpg
vs
http://www.nrg.co.il/images/archive/465x349/1/335/323.jpg

I think this illustrates why both Catherine's and now Meghan's bridal gown are going to be very different. They have totally different personalities and have totally different body shapes. Columnists waxed lyrical about Catherine's gown being a copy of Grace's and I never could see it except they both had lace, silk, satin, etc. just like practically every wedding dress.

Now I am going to be looking at photos of shapely women wearing wedding gowns rather than fashion house models.

Would it be possible for the dress to have a detachable train?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom