Meghan Markle: Wedding Dress Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: Why would she have a detachable train though? I'm assuming she'll just have two dresses.

I think it depends on the wedding. Mostly there is a reception immediately after the wedding and then a more relaxed "party" in the evening. Think of Harry skipping the reception and driving back to London to pick up Meghan for the evening party/dance.

As to detachable trains . . . you bet ya booties there are. Here are photos of Victoria's gown and train and then her dancing at the reception with the dress dem-train hooked to her hand and her veil over her arm.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_L7JC05D4BC0/TB4-e6YPc2I/AAAAAAAAAOE/_Xot20LewkE/s1600/DressTrain.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/38/82/5c/38825cb8e4c2e5a3d8ca937d0ae32760.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/57/76/8c/...princesa-victoria-crown-princess-victoria.jpg

Such a pretty train in this video. :flowers: Something like this would be lovely. Understated and elegant. Will be so interesting to see what Meghan comes up with. I think we may be in for a significant surprise.

After seeing what Meghan wore at the Sandringham photo-op (camel coat with intriguingly different brown hat) I have a hunch she's going to be an outlier when it comes to fashion. A real iconoclast. I am flashing on Charlene of Monaco who is forging a very unique fashion persona. I am wondering whether Meghan goes a unique route, too. :cool: She could well do as the wife of the second son, not so?

Would it be possible for the dress to have a detachable train?

Last edited:
Well I certainly hope she does a better job than Charlene has.

LaRae

:previous: Well at least the blusher on her veil was fine enough to clearly see the antique diamond aigrettes/brooches holding her hair and veil as well as her beautiful makeup.

Would it be possible for the dress to have a detachable train?

Of course yes! Several royal brides got detachable trains e.g. Victoria and Charlene (may be not that popular among UK brides?), but I think lace trains are not that common, usually the train has the same material and design as their dress. I am not sure about transparent lace train, it's just not right to me and like a mosquito net is attached on your back :bang:.

Last edited:
:previous: I agree, that lace train looks like a mosquito net.

We don't know if any british brides had a detachable train as we usually don't see the reception. It would work well for the wedding breakfast, when Meghan wont likely have changed, in the evening she will likely have a second dress. But a skirt like Victoria's would be great thought.

The difference between Charlene and Victoria is that Charlene's fell from the shoulder and Victoria's was buttoned under her cummerbund style waist. It takes a certain degree of confidence to have a train from the shoulders and Charlene's was heavy and pulled her back. Queen Elizabeth wore a full court train of silk tulle attached at the shoulders of the dress. The dress itself barely had a chapel train and the veil dropped to floor length but looked like it was split because the star was the train itself.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/11/14/18/3679F05300000578-5080503-image-m-12_1510684969925.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017...ngham_Palace_last_summ-m-10_1510684888990.jpg

A train like that would be beyond wonderful!

Last edited:
I hope Meghan wouldn't use a train that similar with Victoria/Charlene (a decorated plain fabric) if she wants a detachable train. While I love Victoria and Charlene's dress so much, I just hate that huge gap between their train and skirt when they walk (even though I know it's unavoidable because of the length).

I hope she would go for something similar to the train of Alexandra Knatchbull, it may be not detachable but pretty clear that it's separated from her skirt (OT I quite like her dress). The train is integrated to her dress so well and has no gaps in between. (OT again, I actually think Kate's dress also has a separated but well integrated train, you can see there are few layers on the back of the skirt)

:previous: She is definitely one of my favourite brides. Her gown is so feminine and yet not fussy and it seems she used her tiara as a basis for the lace edged veil with tiny polka dots being the only whimsy. I also like the bridesmaids' gowns but the flower girls were a little OTT as well as being pink.

Pink flower girls' notwithstanding, there was nothing about the bride that I didn't like. The neckline, the tucked short sleeves, the seam down the front, the gorgeous shape of the skirt, great train and wonderful veil anchored by a tiara not too dissimilar to that of Princess Maxima.

I do like Alexandra's dress except for that seam across the bust.

LaRae

:previous: Strangely enough, I also liked that seam across the bust. I thought that and the vertical one down the centre created a point of reference for the dress and gave it a structured style missing from some gowns.

It's just an awkward placement IMO. It makes me think of cheap wedding dresses.

LaRae

What do you think of seed pearls being used on the wedding dress?

I love pearls and get tired of seeing dresses you need sunglasses for. Would love to see something understated with pears and embroidery.

LaRae

I love pearls and get tired of seeing dresses you need sunglasses for. Would love to see something understated with pears and embroidery.

LaRae

Whose wedding dress did you need sunglasses for?

An example of an understated gown with pearls and embroidery is the wedding dress of the former Miss Sonja Haraldsen when she married then-Crown Prince Harald of Norway.

I'm not usually fond of understated, but this one is an exception for me.

Last edited:
No one you would know...I'm speaking in general ...recent/current trends.

LaRae

No one you would know...I'm speaking in general ...recent/current trends.

LaRae

Ah, okay. But, if the speaking goes about "current trends" - can you provide a picture of a gown that makes you say that you need your sunglasses?
I would like to know whether I agree.

:previous: The first and third gowns seem more red carpet than wedding to me. The 2nd one is just ugly.

I don't like any of them.

LaRae

Haven't followed this discussion; is there a consensus on what the most likely designers are? I assume that a British designer is most likely and the few that I've checked out (don't really know who to check out) don't have dresses that I would 'work' for Meghan (as in not her style).

Something like this might work (although I wouldn't be surprised if the bottom half is more massive as in her engagement pictures.

Last edited:
Haven't followed this discussion; is there a consensus on what the most likely designers are? I assume that a British designer is most likely and the few that I've checked out (don't really know who to check out) don't have dresses that I would 'work' for Meghan (as in not her style).

Something like this might work (although I wouldn't be surprised if the bottom half is more massive as in her engagement pictures.

Not sure about a consensus ....British designer for sure. Nothing super flashy or revealing, everything that needs to be covered will be. Nothing super fitted from the waist down (she has to curtsey and you don't want anymore 'Pippa moments').

Most of us are thinking she will wear a veil and tiara.

I think she's going to wear an A Line or Modified A Line. I don't expect full lace or anything resembling Kate's dress. I would like to see a nice rich fabric with accent embroidery. Something elegant and classic.

LaRae

I actually like some of these. :D I think it's a choice: one either goes very simple, or ornate, and I could see making a choice for something elaborate. She would look very charming in something ornate, 'blinding'. ;)

I am thinking that her choice of engagement dress (for the formal snaps) might point to a more elaborate taste in the right circumstances. We have not seen her dress for a formal occasion. We don't know what kind of formal gowns she will gravitate towards as a royal. (How she dressed as an actress cannot be a definitive guide, I am starting to think).

Many are hoping Philippa Lepley might be chosen...

Phillipa Lepley | Homepage | Couture Wedding Dress Design

She has some nice dresses....just hard to figure out which one she'll go with.

A new designer or one who's done dresses she has already worn/styles she likes.

LaRae

I actually like some of these. :D I think it's a choice: one either goes very simple, or ornate, and I could see making a choice for something elaborate. She would look very charming in something ornate, 'blinding'. ;)

I am thinking that her choice of engagement dress (for the formal snaps) might point to a more elaborate taste in the right circumstances. We have not seen her dress for a formal occasion. We don't know what kind of formal gowns she will gravitate towards as a royal. (How she dressed as an actress cannot be a definitive guide, I am starting to think).

Ornate and blinding is often tacky IMO. Too much of something is not a good thing!

I do agree how she dressed before is not going to be a definitive guide which makes sense really, she was being paid to represent a brand or loaned dresses etc.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
Ornate and blinding is often tacky IMO. Too much of something is not a good thing!

I do agree how she dressed before is not going to be a definitive guide which makes sense really, she was being paid to represent a brand or loaned dresses etc.

LaRae

She'll probably tone down the full ornate, but I'm hoping for a reasonable amount. Some of the royal brides have just gone too plain with their dresses.

She'll probably tone down the full ornate, but I'm hoping for a reasonable amount. Some of the royal brides have just gone too plain with their dresses.

I do agree..don't want to see a Mette-Marit dress.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom