Meghan Markle: Wedding Dress Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who said she's going to choose an over the top dress?

Many posters have been suggesting dresses that I would definitely call over the top.

But I also don't think she's going to go for a gown similar to her first dress.

I didn’t say she would wear a dress like her first wedding dress. I actually suggested Maxima’s dress as an example of a simple dress.

I didn’t say she would wear a dress like her first wedding dress. I actually suggested Maxima’s dress as an example of a simple dress.

Maxima's dress isn't nearly as simple as the one Osipi suggested, which is what I would consider way too plain and simple for a wedding at St. George's. Either way, my point was that I don't think her first wedding necessarily tells us anything about what she may wear for this wedding, as again, this is a completely different relationship and wedding. She may not go for over the top but she probably won't go for simple either, although what one considers over the top or simple certainly varies.

I doubt Meghan would go for it, but as no other royal brides have, I'd love to see her try something with a contrasting colour. I don't mean a different colour to white/ivory/cream, but a dress in one of those colours with a bright coloured piping or border, eg round the neckline, cuffs or whatever. Maybe a colour to match the attendants. You sometimes see brides with Scottish heritage wear ivory gowns with a bit of tartan. That's kind of how I mean. That way she could get away with a classic or plain design and it'd be different. Just an idea anyway. (I did a similar thing as I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, except instead of a bright colour my embellishment was silver on a white dress).

I suggest the contrast color be purple, in honor of her alma mater. :lol:

Mette-Marit's is actually really stunning in motion. Especially when walking the stairs it was like a waterfall. When the fabric is good and it's designed with true craftmanship, a dress doesn't need a ton of bling, lace or other applications to make it stand out.

Yes lovely in motion but it still needs something. Doesn't have to be a ton of bling or lace etc. It needed accent.

LaRae

Full disclosure: MM and I attended the same university, though a decade or so apart. When my dad asked if I had heard about the engagement, I said, "She went to Northwestern, and I think that says it all." :lol:

A long sleeved gown is a regal look that I hope Meghan will wear. I would be amazed she she wore something like Miranda Kerr's wedding gown

https://assets.vogue.com/photos/596ce3a30dd87233493669f1/master/pass/Miranda-Kerr-Evan-Wedding.jpeg

That gown was simply stunning.

I loved Miranda Kerr’s gown when I first saw it. Very regal. I think the shape and silhouette are perfect.

I even like the pretty embellishment - wish I could see it up close.

I do think the fabric is a bit heavy and you know she was hot in it because it’s a heavy unforgiving silk shantung/taffeta. It does look luxurious though.

I would love a similar gown like this but mixed up with a faux sheer beaded back for interest. And definitely using a different overall fabric - a lighter silk but still a substantive one. And maybe with a bit more give.

Stunning gown though.

I have a feeling plain and conservative will be exactly what Meghan chooses.

I also have a feeling that many people are projecting their own princess dreams and their desire for a fashion forward dress on Meghan’s dress and will end up very disappointed with the actual dress. I remember how everyone was convinced Sofia’s dress was going to be something spectacular and we got exactly the opposite. Or how everyone expected simple from Stephanie and she turned up in THAT dress.

I hope I’m wrong, but I just can’t see a 36-year-old woman choosing an over the top dress for her second wedding. I mean, she went simple and plain for her first wedding dress, never seen anyone then go all frilly and princessy the second time around. I think we might see something like Maxima’s dress, just in summer fabric.

I’m actually hoping for a clean cut gown like the shape of Miranda’s gown or other royal gowns with clean simple princess cuts. I’d like some embellishment to bring the gown to life and to give it a regal glamour.

Meghan already gave me the Elie-Saab-like gown by Ralph&Russo in her engagement gown so my fluffy princess dreams were fulfilled in that gown.

So now I think we will get a very clean cut gown in a regal shape with some tasteful embellishment. I still think the cut will be a princess cut but I don’t see all over embellishment unless it’s tone on tone and nearly invisible unless you are up close.

Whatever we get I do believe I will love it. Meghan won’t let me down.

I suggest the contrast color be purple, in honor of her alma mater. :lol:

I have rarely seen a dress with contrasting color that doesn't look too costumey sorry to say.

I would love to see her pick something other then white like champagne. I think she would look gorgeous in another shade.

No, you won't. The takeaway for me was she likes simple, sleek, figure conscious design and perhaps she also favors a simple silk fabric w/o much embellishment like lace...Idk. Just reporting what Lara Spencer quoted from an interview MM gave a few years ago.

I still think we are going to get something with clean lines, but remaining romantic. Meghan isn't big on the harshness some structural dresses can have. However, it won't be plain and some modification will have to be made. I'm sure Meghan didn't picture herself getting married at St. George's Chapel with 800 guests while the wedding being televised around the world. It'll still be true to her style, but it'll be modified appropriately to reflect her new role and the wedding.

There are many whites a woman can wear for her wedding other than stark white. She needs to go with a color that complements her skin.

Tbh ivory is the colour most brides wear in the UK. That has been the case since at least when I started my part time job in bridal wear back in 2000. Some wear white but ivory is much more popular.

I myself wore ivory. I think it's flattering to a wider range of skin colors and styles.

Last edited:
There are many whites a woman can wear for her wedding other than stark white. She needs to go with a color that complements her skin.
I was privileged to go wedding dress shopping with one of my nieces. She was atypical English rose with skin so fair and hair so blonde it was almost white. Wearing pure ice white was deemed likely to wash her out and make her look palid.
She saw an ivory gown that looked beautiful but they only had ice white in her size. So, she tried it on for size, fit and style and if it looked good they could get it in in ivory.
She came out of the dressing room looking like a fairy tale princess. The white gave her complexion a gorgeous rose blush, her hair looked the colour of pale honey and her eyes looked an amazing blue.
In short, everything we and the wedding planner thought would be wrong was right.
So I don't have any wedding absolutes any more except for a preference for up do.
Tbh ivory is the colour most brides wear in the UK. That has been the case since at least when I started my part time job in bridal wear back in 2000. Some wear white but ivory is much more popular.

I follow a historical clothing page on FB and there was a gorgeous Italian dress that popped up today...

https://www.facebook.com/historical...UtYvL0OX2QIQYu0dbu6jzweJmLNDyorMCw1DvBNZ2aqhg

Look for the 1906 evening gown by Rosa Genoni

So I got to thinking...historic dress styles that could be worn with modern twist to them. It's old and historic setting at St Georges so something more retro (way before the 70's) could work!

LaRae

BTW my mum got married in 1962 and wore a long sleeved dress with lacey sleeves, which unusually was not long but 1950s dress length. Just below the knee. Although I don't see Meghan going for anything other than full length.

I have seen modern dresses with elements of 'renaissance' ...specifically the ones where the train starts at the shoulders and goes back. I find that quite elegant.

My sister is into all the renaissance re-enactment groups.

LaRae

I have seen modern dresses with elements of 'renaissance' ...specifically the ones where the train starts at the shoulders and goes back. I find that quite elegant.

My sister is into all the renaissance re-enactment groups.

LaRae

OT but it's funny how renaissance fayres are much bigger news in the USA than in the UK.

I guess what Meghan is having to take into account is the huge size of St George's. I know it isn't big by Westminster Abbey standards, but 800 is still huge compared to most churches. She is lucky to have such a lovely medieval building to marry in.

Yeah I've never been to one...but she's done them for years and years.

Yes whatever Meghan wears has to fill that space and look appropriate for it and the occasion. That designer will be sweating bullets!

LaRae

Lots of elements pop up over the decades, reworked and modernized ...lots of options for Meghan!

LaRae

I am so excited for this wedding. Is a bride allowed to wear off-the-shoulder in this church? (I recall some talk during Kate/William engagement about rules for the Abbey, i.e. no off-the-shoulder, no bare arms/legs. I wasn't sure if similar rules apply St George's, Windsor).

She's going to be covered...not going to see bare shoulders/arms, even if it's a sheer material there will be something there. That's more of a Traditional BRF thing than a CoE thing now days.

LaRae

Last edited:
Getty needs to find some better suggestions.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom