Meghan Markle: Wedding Dress Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing with a cape is it's a spring/summer-ish time so it'd have to be a light material type....and she doesn't want to be costume-y.

LaRae

Many of the capes are the same material as the dresses, so light enough for spring summer. Certainly would be lighter then full sleeves on a dress, unless she went lace sleeves like Kate did.

But wouldn't work with a veil. Might be a way of escaping the 'veil for a second wedding'.

She could do the drape (where it starts and the shoulder and flows behind, slightly Medieval)...that would be very elegant too and worn without a veil unless it's a very short blusher type.

LaRae

Daily Mail is reporting the Palace requested a sketch from an Israeli brand Inbal Dror. If Meghan chooses a non British designer for her wedding dress it will cause a stir. But I like it, Meghan would be showing she will not be copying Kate.

I think she will go sleeves. I can't wait. I am sure it will be breathtaking. I want that moment like it was with William and Harry when he was like "Just wait until you see her."

Many of the capes are the same material as the dresses, so light enough for spring summer. Certainly would be lighter then full sleeves on a dress, unless she went lace sleeves like Kate did.

But wouldn't work with a veil. Might be a way of escaping the 'veil for a second wedding'.

Pretty sure there will be a veil. I think people are pass the no this or that for second wedding thing.

And I still think it’d be a British designer or a designer with strong British connection. There are plenty of British designers she can choose without anyone saying she’s copying Kate.

Last edited:
They have helpfully pasted Meghan’s face on various models. And most of the dresses are wildly inappropriate!

Will THIS be Meghan's wedding dress designer? | Daily Mail Online

I was just coming to post a link to this article. I'm thinking it's crap for a couple of reasons...1) I feel almost certain she'll choose a British designer, especially since it seems she was very careful to choose all British designers (even down to handbag!) for her Nottingham engagement; and 2) I can't imagine they would end up going with a designer who - upon request of sketches (if true) - immediately runs to the press to brag about it!! I am sure she wants someone who can be confidential!

Oh, and most importantly, 3) it's the DailyMail! Purveyor of lies and gossip.

My guess is this designer just wants some free publicity by leading people to believe they are in the running for the next royal wedding.

Daily Mail is reporting the Palace requested a sketch from an Israeli brand Inbal Dror. If Meghan chooses a non British designer for her wedding dress it will cause a stir. But I like it, Meghan would be showing she will not be copying Kate.

I wouldn't consider much of anything reliable that comes from the DM. No way is Meghan using a Israeli based designer ...and she doesn't have to use a non-Brit designer to prove she's not copying Kate.

LaRae

I can see Meghan wearing some of the dresses in DM article. Especially the tight bare shoulders designs. She and Harry seem determined to be nonconformists and a risqué wedding gown would reflect this.

I actually love the Elie Saab in the article.

And given that Catherine's gown had a v-neck and cone boobs (I hated that part of the gown), Meghan wouldn't be going too out of current royal trends to have a scalloped neck :)

I can see Meghan wearing some of the dresses in DM article. Especially the tight bare shoulders designs. She and Harry seem determined to be nonconformists and a risqué wedding gown would reflect this.

Meghan has dressed appropriately for every royal related events so far. There is no reason to believe she would break this type of rules at her own wedding. I’m not sure how they’ve been nonconformists. All rules are made by the Queen, she doesn’t seem to have any issues with, so they are conforming just fine.

Btw, isn’t the no bare shoulder more of a Church rule?

The wedding is going to reflect the couples ‘personalities’ so I can definitely see Meghan in something tight and revealing although it will probably be a British designer.

The wedding is going to reflect the couples ‘personalities’ so I can definitely see Meghan in something tight and revealing although it will probably be a British designer.

I think it will be a "sexy" dress but will still be classy and a tad modest.

Nothing to date indicates she will do anything like this. So far they have been conforming to the traditional BRF norms. Any interviews etc she's done prior to Harry haven't had any indication of this type of dress either.

There's no way she's going to wear something risque to a wedding in a Church in front of the Queen and everyone else.

LaRae

Their engagement was only announced last month. I don’t see how you can say they been conforming to traditional BRF norms.

I think Meghan is going to want to do things her way and Harry will follow. It will be up to The Queen and Charles to reign them in.

Their engagement was only announced last month. I don’t see how you can say they been conforming to traditional BRF norms.

I think Meghan is going to want to do things her way and Harry will follow. It will be up to The Queen and Charles to reign them in.

Are you kidding? They've been conforming (she has particularly) since they started seriously dating! She shut down her social media ended her arrangement with the clothing company and left her job etc. She's avoided media and not a peep of anything until the (planned) magazine article and the I.G. events.

She's done everything you would expect to see from a future BRF bride/family member. The engagement clothing/accessories, the interview, the first public event (clothing/accessories) etc.

This is not someone who is going to risk offending the family or those in her soon to be adopted country.

Not to mention this 'risque' look is not her personal style. Nothing on her previous red carpet days or work related public events have shown her dressing or acting in that manner.

LaRae

Last edited:

Okay, based on your statement here, if we have no evidence to show that she’s been conforming because the engagement was just announced last month, what evidence do you have to say she isn’t conforming based on the fact that the engagement was just announced last month?

Looking back at the last year, there have been some steps to show that Harry and Meghan aren’t doing things as William and Kate did (his statement when the relationship went public, her VF article), but also every sign that they’re acting with the support of his family (backed up by statements from his family, who have all praised Meghan), and a lot to indicate that Meghan is willing to fall within line of the BRF traditions (she started giving up aspects of her career well before the engagement, is retiring from acting, is embarking on getting her citizenship and joining the CoE, is even giving up her charity work in favour of starting with all new, non-political, British charities).

I get that you don’t like her (you’ve openly said as much), and I respect that that is your opinion, but I don’t get what it is she’s done other than being an American actress to deserve some of the accusations you’ve thrown at her.

I’ve seen plenty of Meghan’s red carpet outfits that I would describe as risqué.

There’s no point in her trying to pretend she’s an English rose. I think her wedding dress will reflect her personality.

Admittedly I’m not a fan of Meghan’s style in general.

Let's be honest. In effect the wedding will be the first event where Meghan is officially royal. And her wedding dress will reflect that.

She is in a place of worship, under the Queen's authority; the Queen is present and millions will be watching. Watching very closely will be the British public, members of the other realms and the Commonwealth, all wondering about their new princess.

The last thing they will want is to see a celebrity wedding - they want pomp and circumstance and it is to be Royal. And I think that's what Meghan will want as well. Rite of passage into royal life.

So no dress that shows off the body too much, no cleavage, and shoulders covered.

And this is a wedding that will be archived, with photographs used for many, many years to come. Its history and I think she knows that.

I’ve seen plenty of Meghan’s red carpet outfits that I would describe as risqué.

There’s no point in her trying to pretend she’s an English rose. I think her wedding dress will reflect her personality.

Admittedly I’m not a fan of Meghan’s style in general.

Risqué? You must be really, really conservative. She's worn some short skirts and shown a little (very little) cleavage. Nothing shocking or noteworthy. And they were worn for a different job in a different venue at a different time of her life.

Last edited:
Risqué? You must be really, really conservative. She's worn some short skirts and shown a little (very little) cleavage. Nothing shocking or noteworthy.

But risque for a royal.

I am generally a conservative person and I've seen a number of pics of Meghan in her dresses/outfits during red carpet type settings. ...trying to think of one I would consider risque.

Really nothing more 'shocking' than we saw Kate in prior to her marriage.

LaRae

But risque for a royal.

But she wasn't a royal at the time.

She hasn't done a red carpet in well over a year, and the last time she wore a risque-for-a-royal outfit was before she met Harry. And she's avoided anything risque for a royal since meeting Harry.

I don't think we can really make any judgements about her future style based on her pre-Harry days.

ETA: I've gone back and looked at her red carpet style. With the exception of one dress that she appears to have been wearing as a favour to a friend (that terrible Misha Noono silver thing) she seems to follow a standard rule: if it's short, it's got a high neckline and (usually) long sleeves. If it's strapless/sleeveless/lower cut, it's below the knee. I can't find a single instance of a low cut, short, and sleeveless dress (i.e., "showing a lot of skin").

And I can't find a single dress that's inappropriately tight or that she's spilling out of.

Many are certainly "hollywood" rather than "duchess-y" but several of them would be completely appropriate for evening engagements.

Last edited:
But risque for a royal.

True, but she wasn't a royal then so it wasn't risqué.

Most adults have enough professional sense to understand you dress for the occasion. And for the profession. The occasion is a royal wedding in an Anglican church, you dress appropriately. The occasion is a royal event where you are representing the queen, you dress appropriately. Not that some royal women, even at official events, haven't worn quite short skirts.

She was a celebrity back then. And it was her job to showcase herself, and the designers she was wearing.

I hardly call wearing revealing clothes as a personality. But it might be something more fun, but within the parameters. Just because it has to cover enough skin, doesn’t mean it has to be boring.

Anyways, if there is one thing we know about Meghan Markle is that she dresses appropriately for occasion. We won’t have to worry about that.

Last edited:
Let's get back to talking about wedding dresses please. If you wish to discuss the clothes Meghan wore on the red carpet, take it to the fashion thread.

Last edited:
I'm sure she will wear a British designer.

Last edited by a moderator:
ME too! If she wears a non-Brit design it will be on her party dress for the reception/evening events.

LaRae

If she was going to wear a non-Brit it would be American or Canadian. Not some random Israeli designer who leaked it to the papers.:ermm:

I agree, if she wears a foreign designer it will be the evening look though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom