General News for Charles III and Queen Camilla, Part 1: September 2022-June 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And State banquet at the château de Versailles, not less ...

It will be a very busy few days for the king and queen consort from the 26th of March to the of 31st March .

The Irish media are reporting that King Charles III will make a visit to Ireland this summer after the US State Visit.

He has been visiting Ireland annually since the late Queen's State visit other than for the years he couldn't go due to covid. He loves the island (and both parts). He has stated his aim is to visit all of the counties of the Republic as well as the North. I am therefore not surprised that he intends on continuing that practice.

This year marks the 25th anniversary of the Good Friday Agreement hence the US State Visit and its expected that the King's first visit as Monarch will come in the Summer after the Coronation.

King Charles has sent a St. Patrick's Day message to the President of Ireland:

** Message **

He'll face left on coins because the late Queen faced right, and successive monarchs' heads alternate sides on coins. All monarchs face left on stamps. Why he's facing right on these particular stamps is a very good question. It's not because they're special stamps because the Queen always faced left on special stamps. I'll be very interested to hear if anyone knows the answer.

Regarding the stamps, I saw a gentleman on BBC World News explain that the monarch always faces towards the design on the stamp.

King Charles has sent a message to mark Bangladesh's Independence Day:

** Message **

I dislike it intensely! Charles's expression is awful - he looks like he's just had his favourite dog euthanised. The muddy, depressing background looks unfinished and his body position makes him look one-armed. Imagine having to look at that miserable portrait every day in your place of work! :eek:

I agree that the background is rather murky, and I don't care much for the choice of tie and pocket handkerchief, which I think adds to the muddy look of the portrait. I'm not sure about the expression, he does look a bit concerned, or pained. I wonder what the artist thought he was conveying?

The Daily Express is reporting that President Biden has accepted an invitation from King Charles III to pay a state visit to the United Kingdom later this year. The date is still to be determined.

I've been expecting that. The last three presidents also had state visits in the third years of their presidencies.

I agree that the background is rather murky, and I don't care much for the choice of tie and pocket handkerchief, which I think adds to the muddy look of the portrait. I'm not sure about the expression, he does look a bit concerned, or pained. I wonder what the artist thought he was conveying?

I thought the King looked like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders but then I read some background including
King Charles did not sit for the portrait. The artist, Alastair Barford, chose to study the King while he was at a global biodiversity event at Buckingham Palace on February 17.
How did the process of creating the portrait evolve? "At The Palace I was told I could take a few photographs of The King. A photographer who was present advised: 'In here, it’s better to ask forgiveness than permission.' So I ended up with several hundred photographs of The King, and a few sketches! The first step was to go through these. At this stage I hoped the idea would emerge. I also studied archival photographs of The King. The relationship between artist and subject can be intense — it’s unlike any other, and even when working at a distance, I felt involved with my subject. I came close to tears when looking through photographs of The King at his mother’s funeral. Developing this intimacy between artist and subject is an important part of my process.The King was wearing a suit rather than robes of State, so I wanted this to be a more personal, intimate portrait of the man. I wished to capture his warmth and sensitivity, the empathy that came across in his interactions with the people he met. It was important that I captured a sympathetic expression."

Another detail of the portrait includes a bracelet on King Charles' wrist, presented to him by the Amazon indigenous leader, Domingo Peas, at the Palace reception on February 17. The artist included the bracelet "to give the portrait context and authenticity, a symbol of The King’s advocacy on climate change and sustainability".

King Charles signals first explicit support for research into monarchy?s slavery ties | Slavery | The Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...port-for-research-into-monarchys-slavery-ties

King Charles has for the first time signalled his support for research into the British monarchy?s historical links with transatlantic slavery, after the emergence of a document showing his predecessor?s stake in a slave-trading company.

Buckingham Palace released the statement after it was contacted by the Guardian about the extensive history of successive British monarchs? involvement and investment in the enslavement of African people.

The Guardian has published a previously unseen document showing the 1689 transfer of ?1,000 of shares in the slave-trading Royal African Company to King William III, from Edward Colston, the company?s deputy governor.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...rt-research-royal-links-slave-trade-time.html

Last edited:
I don't think Charles could have done anything else, really. Researchers are beginning to take hard looks at the role the trading of human beings had in the accumulation of wealth by individuals and nations, and I don't know why the British royal family should be immune to those questions.

The Guardian has a political agenda & anything at all that it can use to smear the present day institution of the monarchy is grist to their mill. It’s very doubtful that The Guardian has any real interest in genuine & rigorous historical enquiry. History for them is just a means with which to scold the present.

And I would very surprised if there is actual proof that the present day wealth of the monarchy derives in any meaningful way from the slave trade. My understanding is that it is very much rooted in centuries old English landholdings & accumulated savings from the old Civil List.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom