General News for Charles III and Queen Camilla, Part 1: September 2022-June 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that the Guardian's slant is undeniably republican, but my general point was that since these questions are being asked, Charles has little choice but to at least appear open to them. It's a low stakes thing for him, since it doesn't require any kind of further response, and the research is going to take place anyway. And I suspect that will be as far as it all goes, unless much closer ties than stock shares from over 300 years ago shows up.

The history of the Royal Africa Company is well known so it will be interesting to see if anything new turns up. Both the National Trust & the Church of England have done some very good work in examing links between the slave trade & various strands of English society.

Have similar historical studies taken place in other countries that were involved in slavery. I am thinking in particular of the southern states of the USA. I would be interested in any feedback from other posters although that is probably slightly off topic for this thread so apologies, I appreciate the mods may wish to remove. I am just wondering if this is aimed at the BRF or if there is a general historical investigation round the world.

I am not surprised about these findings. King William III was a Dutch Stadhouder with a lot of influence on the Chambers, which were very much involved with normal trade as well as slavetrade.

Have similar historical studies taken place in other countries that were involved in slavery. I am thinking in particular of the southern states of the USA. I would be interested in any feedback from other posters although that is probably slightly off topic for this thread so apologies, I appreciate the mods may wish to remove. I am just wondering if this is aimed at the BRF or if there is a general historical investigation round the world.

It's not just aimed at the Royal Family. Several Oxford and Cambridge colleges have investigated their alleged historic links to slavery, and the National Trust has spent a lot of money on investigating alleged links to slavery of the families who owned the stately homes which it looks after. There's a certain amount of controversy over the amount of money being spent on it all, but it's not just aimed at the Royal Family.

I am not surprised about these findings. King William III was a Dutch Stadhouder with a lot of influence on the Chambers, which were very much involved with normal trade as well as slavetrade.

But King Charles III is not a descendant of King William III and most of the present private wealth of the BRF is tied to assets acquired in the 19th century when the slave trade had already been outlawed in the British Empire.

I don't think it hurts HM The King or the BRF to acknowledge The Guardian's investigation. If it's accurate that the majority of the BRF's wealth comes from sources other than the Transatlantic Slave Trade, then the report would exonerate them in that regard. Even if it doesn't, it's not there's going to be a successful campaign for reparations against BRF or anything like it.

It's not just aimed at the Royal Family. Several Oxford and Cambridge colleges have investigated their alleged historic links to slavery, and the National Trust has spent a lot of money on investigating alleged links to slavery of the families who owned the stately homes which it looks after. There's a certain amount of controversy over the amount of money being spent on it all, but it's not just aimed at the Royal Family.

Thank you for that info Alison, I was also thinking about other countries, we were among the first to abolish but what about the U.S.A.

This is a thread for general news about Charles and Camilla, so let's not get too far off topic, which discussions about how other countries are handling the issue of reparations for slavery certainly is.

King Charles and Queen Camilla attended Sunday church service at Crathie Kirk Church today, April 16:

** dm article **

It has been suggested on Twitter that the King and Queen will visit Ireland on a state visit in June. No confirmation from BP just yet.

College of Arms newsletter

At Buckingham Palace on 21 February, His Majesty The King granted arms to Her Majesty Queen Camilla by Warrant. This is the first grant of arms made by His Majesty. The arms granted are:

Arms: Within the Garter Our Royal Arms impaling the Arms of Shand surmounted by Our Crown

Supporters: To the dexter A Lion Guardant Or Crowned proper and to the sinister A Boar Azure armed and unguled Or langued Gules and gorged with a Coronet composed of Crosses formy and Fleurs-de-lys attached thereto a Chain reflexed over the back and ending in a Ring all Or

These arms replace those previously granted by Queen Elizabeth II to the then Duchess of Cornwall on 14 July 2005.

These arms are as expected (and as seen on the coronation invitation).

I do wonder how much longer it will take for a batch of personal standards to be made up. In Germany her car was still using the generic one with the ermine border.

Last edited:
:previous: I'm puzzled by why a fresh grant of arms was required. Under the British laws of arms, the wife of an armigerous man is automatically entitled to bear the arms of her husband. Likewise, a woman who marries a man of superior rank automatically assumes the rank of her husband under British common law, so it stands to reason that Camilla should have been entitled to surmount her arms with the royal crown once her husband ascended the throne. There is no change to her supporters.

I think there are restrictions around the use of the royal arms, such that it's never automatic and a grant by the monarch is required for any use of them. It's why princesses by marriage don't have their own standards using their marital arms; unlike everyone else, they need to be separately granted permission to fly a banner of their arms, and that's only granted to queens consort and blood royals.

It has been suggested on Twitter that the King and Queen will visit Ireland on a state visit in June. No confirmation from BP just yet.

Yes that was mentioned here on one of last Sunday mornings radio chat shows and that there has been a flurry of communication between the British Embassy in Dublin and Buckingham Palace over the past few weeks.

Also to note the Taoiseach (PM) Leo Varadkar and Presient Michael D Higgins have been invited to the Coronation,I'm not sure if the Presidents wife or Taoiseach partner have been invited.

A State Visit to Ireland wouldn't be a surprise as Charles and Camilla have been regularly visiting the Republic since Elizabeth II's State Visit. Often Charles would go to the republic alone and Camilla join him for their visit to Northern Ireland but she has also joined him in the republic.

He has said he wants to visit every county in the republic and he has a few to go yet.

I remember my visit, in 2017, when we went to the place when Lord Mountbatten was assassinated and there is a lovely plague there commemorating the visit by Charles and Camilla and our guide told us how the locals loved having them there.

I'm not sure if it will be a State Visit or just an Official Visit as details are rather sketchy but all previous visits by Charles and Camilla and also by William and Kate were very warmly received in the Irish Republic.

Quite the casual couple. The King and Queen were spotted checking out a new restaurant in Ballater today. Some of the chatter on twitter says they do this often -- can anyone confirm? I cant seem to remember the King going to a restaurant that wasn't related to an event, much like his mother (aside from very few times). Anyway -- more of this, please! I think it's fantastic seeing the Queen in her jeans!

Nice to see them having a less formal visit and what a beautiful day in Ballater :previous:

One thing for King Charles, he is always well-dressed, even when casual. I've never seen him looking shabby, even at the beach...

I think it's probably because his mother virtually never got to go to a restaurant that they do this.

It also makes sense to go out in such a small place like Ballater versus London which would likely be a security nightmare.

Quite the casual couple. The King and Queen were spotted checking out a new restaurant in Ballater today. Some of the chatter on twitter says they do this often -- can anyone confirm? I cant seem to remember the King going to a restaurant that wasn't related to an event, much like his mother (aside from very few times). Anyway -- more of this, please! I think it's fantastic seeing the Queen in her jeans!

Do we know if the King & Queen ate at the restaurant, or merely visited it?

As far as I recall, the restaurant is to be opened yet, so they only had a look at it without eating.

From the article : “I hope that he will use some of the wealth that the royal family accumulated from the slave trade to better the lives of people in the Caribbean and in Britain who are descendants of the enslaved,”

It is very telling that people with an agenda insist on repeating something as if it were incontrovertible. At this point it’s a slur with very little historical credibility.

The republican supporting Guardian has been running a series called 'Cost of the Crown', digging up a lot of financial information, which has been interesting IMO but this latest article is scraping the barrel. Many of us are appalled to learn that some of our own ancestors were slave owners, so I think it's low to try and taint Charles by association. However, I did enjoy reading that some of Charles's ancestors had common surnames such as Tucker, Smith and Fish! https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...rles-owned-slave-plantations-documents-reveal

The republican supporting Guardian has been running a series called 'Cost of the Crown', digging up a lot of financial information, which has been interesting IMO but this latest article is scraping the barrel. Many of us are appalled to learn that some of our own ancestors were slave owners, so I think it's low to try and taint Charles by association. However, I did enjoy reading that some of Charles's ancestors had common surnames such as Tucker, Smith and Fish! https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...rles-owned-slave-plantations-documents-reveal

Yes, I've been seeing that online and comparisons being made with the budgets of other European Royal Houses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom