Other Danish Royal and Noble Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it would look lovely on Elisabeth of Belgium and she could certainly make use of a second, but there's probably some etiquette against one RF acquiring another RF's tiara through financial means? (Queen Mary has been gone for many decades, after all.)

Well I guess this solves the mystery. What a shame. Although the CP couple have bought from auctions before so it's not entirely implausible. I had no idea the tiara had a turquoise form, its quite charming, and would make a good addition. The bracelet is quite attractive and would also make a good addition. Although, sugarloaf emeralds on a bracelet seems a bit precarious, I would certainly end up smashing them.

I think it would look lovely on Elisabeth of Belgium and she could certainly make use of a second, but there's probably some etiquette against one RF acquiring another RF's tiara through financial means? (Queen Mary has been gone for many decades, after all.)

Well Elisabeth of Belgium is a descendant of King Frederik VII and Queen Lovisa of Denmark, who bought the tiara for Princess Thyra. They were her 3x great-grandparents. Tiaras (mostly Queen Lovisa's or Swedish tiaras) have travel through the Scandinavian families over time, I would think they would be ok with "family" buying it.

I wish the DRF would at LEAST buy the bracelet that the Rosenburgs put up for sale. The DRF barely have any of Queen Alexandrine's jewelry. I think they only have her sapphires.

Well Elisabeth of Belgium is a descendant of King Frederik VII and Queen Lovisa of Denmark, who bought the tiara for Princess Thyra. They were her 3x great-grandparents. Tiaras (mostly Queen Lovisa's or Swedish tiaras) have travel through the Scandinavian families over time, I would think they would be ok with "family" buying it.

You're right. Thank you for making some very good points that hadn't even occurred to me, especially as I just assumed the Princess Thyra was the one who became Duchess of Cumberland, not her niece.

Unfortunately, Elisabeth will almost certainly not get it either. I hope the buyer does appreciate the history.

It is indeed not likely that it will be bought at the auction. It wil be too public and people will know the price. The tiara will be lost.

I agree, it is unlikely to be bought by the mainline in such a public auction.

The estimated price is between 600.000 and 800.000 Danish Crowns (80.000-105.000 Euros). Not something most of us could miss, but one imagines that the RF could have chipped together that amount if they had wanted to.

A big element of the suggested price is for the provenance of the jewellery. I wouldn't expect a reigning royal family to ever pay for provenance, they provide the provenance.

I wish the DRF would at LEAST buy the bracelet that the Rosenburgs put up for sale. The DRF barely have any of Queen Alexandrine's jewelry. I think they only have her sapphires.

The pieces who went to King Frederik IX. have gone mainly out of the main line like her big sautoir which was split in 2 and given to Queen Anne-Marie and Princess Benedikte. Then her drop tiara went to Countess Alexandra and a big ruby bow brooch was given by Queen Ingrid to Princess Alexia and so on.

I’m sure the family can send a representative to bid on their behalf because auctions for high profile items do that.

I’m sure the family can send a representative to bid on their behalf because auctions for high profile items do that.
It would stiill be known for how much they bought it as the selling price is usually known.

The royal women need to stop bequeathing important jewellery to junior children because it is pathetic for these pieces to leave the monarchy and to no longer enhance the monarchy.

The royal women need to stop bequeathing important jewellery to junior children because it is pathetic for these pieces to leave the monarchy and to no longer enhance the monarchy.

While I think it's a pity that the important jewellery being sold and leave the RF, to me it just doesn't make sense to not let the younger children inherit them. It's not only a royal jewellery, but also a family jewellery. Oldest child, middle child ir youngest child, they all have the equal rights to inherit them. It's good that if they keep it in the main line, but nothing's wrong if they pass it to a younger child. As long as it is not a crown jewels or belonged to the foundation they can bequeath it to whoever they want. It's an unfortunate situation but nobody shall be blamed.

To be honest the tiara now be auctioned has never been in the Main line as it was acquired or made for a younger Daughter of King Frederik VIII.

Princess Thyra's sapphire tiara will be auctioned by Bruun Rasmussen. The tiara was owned by Pss Elisabeth of Denmark.

https://bruun-rasmussen.dk/m/lots/4036F5ABDB39?

What a great pity that the RF did not find a way to keep it. I had hoped the Pss might have left the tiara to Prince Christian or ideally to the Crown Princess.

An art deco emerald & diamond bracelet will also be auctioned.

https://bruun-rasmussen.dk/m/lots/50A79A4AEE5E?

Courtesy: Stig at the RJWMB
What a shame ,I too hoped that the historic jewels of the late Princess would return to the main line!
https://www.thecourtjeweller.com/20...irloom-tiara-heads-to-auction.html#more-43711

A Billed Bladet article says they asked count Ingolf, countess Sussie and one of their nieces Camilla about the auction and they said that neither of them is the seller.

Bruun Rasmussen for both tiara and bracelet says this about the provenance:
"... Princess Elisabeth (1935-2018). Thence by descendants of King Frederik VIII and Queen Lovisa of Denmark until today."

So does it mean that the seller is one the other two nieces, Josephine or Feodora?

I am costumer at Bruun Rasmussen Auction House. I will look in live on December 1st at 4.45 pm.
Countess Ann Dorte tiara was sold 2.000.000 DKK its estimation Price. A Dane bought it.

I am costumer at Bruun Rasmussen Auction House. I will look in live on December 1st at 4.45 pm.
Countess Ann Dorte tiara was sold 2.000.000 DKK its estimation Price. A Dane bought it.

A few posts back, I believe it was you who mentioned CP Mary buying a tiara via auction at Bruun....was this the Edwardian necklace tiara from a few years ago or is there an inkling that she's purchased another one recently.

My hope would be that Mary could acquire this Sapphire tiara with the interchangeable turquoise stones. It would return to the DRF more main line and Mary really could use an additional and bigger tiara to her collection. Plus she could assemble a turquoise parure with the additional turquoise she has.

A few posts back, I believe it was you who mentioned CP Mary buying a tiara via auction at Bruun....was this the Edwardian necklace tiara from a few years ago or is there an inkling that she's purchased another one recently.

As far as I am aware, Mary bought the Edwardian tiara for around €10,000 a few years back, and has not acquired any more since.

My hope would be that Mary could acquire this Sapphire tiara with the interchangeable turquoise stones. It would return to the DRF more main line and Mary really could use an additional and bigger tiara to her collection. Plus she could assemble a turquoise parure with the additional turquoise she has.

It would have been great if Princess Thyra's tiara could have returned to the main line of the DRF. It would versatality to the range, and create a married parure of sapphire and diamond jewellery.

However, I do not expect to see Mary as being the buyer of the tiara at auction. A lot of the price paid for the tiara is for it provenance. Mary does not need to pay for that provenance, her use of jewellery provides provenance!

Found a picture of the extended Danish Royal Family in gala jewels for, I think, Christian X jubilee in 1937. While it includes a lot of familiar tiaras and jewels there are a few that I don't recognize https://kgl-fotosamling.kongernessa...4278/viewmode=infoview/qsr=prinsesse ingeborg

starting at the bottom left

GD Alexandra of Mecklenburg-Schwerin - recently sold Faberge tiara
CP Ingrid - Ruby Parure currently worn by CP Mary
Queen Alexandrine - Fringe tiara currently worn by Count Inglof's wife Susie
Princess Ingeborg of Sweden - Leutchenburg Emerald Parure now in Norway
Princess Helena - tiara made from Queen Desiree's Ears of Wheat which has been broken up
Princess Dagmar, Mrs. Castenskiold - ?, looks a bit makeshift
Princess Caroline-Mathilde - Q Alexandrine's Russian Sapphire Tiara, recently sold
Princess Thyra - a little blurry but I think Q Josephine's Diamond Tiara, now in Norway
Princess Feodora - unknown star tiara
Countess Mathilde, Princess Aage - ?
Princess Margaret of Bourbon-Parma - ?
Princess Viggo - reworked Princess Marie Opal Tiara, last worn by Countess Ruth
Princes Margarethe - Princess Marie's Floral Loop Tiara, sold

And sadly the Lobkowicz Tiara was sold off in 2018 :previous:

And sadly the Lobkowicz Tiara was sold off in 2018 :previous:
Not sad at all, but a very happy ending. Thanks to Prince Charles Henri Lobkowicz seeing the Royal Watcher's post about the auction he decided to bid on the tiara and bought it back.

Not sad at all, but a very happy ending. Thanks to Prince Charles Henri Lobkowicz seeing the Royal Watcher's post about the auction he decided to bid on the tiara and bought it back.

So a happy ending :flowers:

But who is going to wear this tiara? Afaik, Prince Charles is nearing sixty and umarried, no children, no nieces and nephews, no first cousins on the Lobkowitz side of the family. And the only cousins on the Bourbon-Parma side are the Dutch branch. And didn't Prince Charles support his uncle Prince Sixte in his rant against the supposedly unequal marriage of Prince Carlo? (Though I'm not sure I remember the last bit correctly.)

But who is going to wear this tiara? Afaik, Prince Charles is nearing sixty and umarried, no children, no nieces and nephews, no first cousins on the Lobkowitz side of the family. And the only cousins on the Bourbon-Parma side are the Dutch branch. And didn't Prince Charles support his uncle Prince Sixte in his rant against the supposedly unequal marriage of Prince Carlo? (Though I'm not sure I remember the last bit correctly.)

His mother and sister are still alive to the best of my knowledge?

Who knows? Maybe he wears it himself while doing the laundry.

His mother and sister are still alive to the best of my knowledge?
His mother, Princess Marie-Françoise, is 94 years old and his sister, Princess Marie Gabrielle, is a member of the Order of the Little Sisters of the Poor.

Do you know if this is the star tiara originally owned by Queen Louisa of Denmark https://www.gogmsite.net/the-bustle...louise-of-de/color-queen-louise-of-denma.html
I have seen other portraits of Queen Louisa from this photo session, and the stars are six-pointed. The central stones doesn't look like rubies though, they remind me more of turquoise. But the central stones might be interchangeable. So, my guess is that they are the same, but I don't really know.

His mother, Princess Marie-Françoise, is 94 years old and his sister, Princess Marie Gabrielle, is a member of the Order of the Little Sisters of the Poor.

Marie Gabrielle most defiantly won't need a tiara in the Poor Clares Order ...silly me :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom