Danish State Visit to Norway: May 14 - 15, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iceflower

Administrator
Site Team
Country
Germany

This is the thread dedicated to the introductory state visit of King Frederik X and Queen Mary of Denmark to Norway.

It will take place from May 14 to May 15, 2024, the Danish court announced today.

When The King and The Queen travel on Their Majesties’ first official state visit to Sweden at the beginning of May, it will, at the same time, kick off a major tour around the Northern region. After the visit to Sweden, a state visit to Norway follows, after which The King and The Queen will visit the Faroe Islands and Greenland in June and July.

The first state visits will provide the occasion for the new King and Queen to meet with the sovereigns in Sweden and Norway, and they will thus mark the close relations between the Nordic monarchies.

** kongehuset: The King and The Queen to visit Sweden, Norway, The Faroe Islands and Greenland **

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs!

· Only pictures you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· No more than 20% of the text of an article can be posted, along with a link to the original article.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles.
· We expect our members to treat each other and the royals and persons in these threads with respect.
· Opinions should be backed up by reference to published reports.
· Off topic and empty posts will be deleted without notice.
· Please be careful not to write in capital letters.

:flowers: Happy Posting! :flowers:

Last edited:
Will Ingrid Alexandra and Sverre Magnus attend the State Visit?

Statement from the Royal House of Norway:
At the invitation of Their Majesties King Harald and Queen Sonja, Their Majesties King Frederik and Queen Mary will visit Norway on 14 and 15 May 2024.

The visit is the Danish royal couple's first to Norway after the change of throne and marks the close relations between Denmark and Norway.

The royal ship Dannebrog will be the residence of the Danish royal couple during their visit. The program is still being planned and more information about the program will be announced at a later date.
https://www.kongehuset.no/artikkel.html?tid=225223&sek=112472

Will Ingrid Alexandra and Sverre Magnus attend the State Visit?

I don’t think so as Ingrid is in the military and Magnus has his studies… It will most likely be King Harald, Queen Sonja, Crown Prince Haakon, Crown Princess Mette-Marit, Princess Märtha Louise, and if her health permits Princess Astrid

I don’t think so as Ingrid is in the military and Magnus has his studies… It will most likely be King Harald, Queen Sonja, Crown Prince Haakon, Crown Princess Mette-Marit, Princess Märtha Louise, and if her health permits Princess Astrid

Will Märtha Louise participate without her fiancé?

Will Märtha Louise participate without her fiancé?

She did so during the dutch state visit so i suppose she will this time too.

She is a Knight of the Order of the Elephant since QMII’s state visit in 1992 so i’m sure she will be there.

But she's not royal working anymore?

The scandinavian royals are very very close so i’m pretty sure that doesn’t matter in this case

Last edited:

She was only there for that because she's friends with W-A and Maxima.

....although she has known Fred even longer than that, so, yeah, who knows.

I hope to see everyone there, but not Shaman Durek.

Also hope that Crown Princess Mette-Marit upgrade some of her jewels. But likely not gonna happen. Anyways the relation between the Norwegian and Danish royal families are very close. So this will be fun to follow. And probably broadcasted alot in NRK.

Wasn't that before her full withdrawal from official duties in November 2022?

Yes it was on 9-11 November 2021.

But the scandinavian royal families are very very close to each other so i fully expect everyone who is geographically available to attend the banquets and eventual return receptions.

Looking forward to the State Visit. The King Frederik and Queen Mary will celebrate their 20th anniversary in Norway.

When Ingrid has finnished her recruit period which she will in March/april she has the right to 20 days free during the year of service which can usually be taken when you want as long as it fits the service plan you have. The red days (national day on May 17) is also usually a day of in the military so one could hope she would be there when the King is her godfather, but all in all not likely considering she did not even show up for Nobel which was in the weekend and she was living in Oslo

Sverre Magnus even less likely considering he is then Russ and working on final exams.

I have given up hope they will ever take out the Queen Maud diamond tiara, probably Mette-Marit will wear her tiny bandau. With the exception of Victorias wedding when she out blinged her self, she had never considered royal visits or big paty an occasion to bring out the bling, just look at the coronation….

I have given up hope they will ever take out the Queen Maud diamond tiara, probably Mette-Marit will wear her tiny bandau. With the exception of Victorias wedding when she out blinged her self, she had never considered royal visits or big paty an occasion to bring out the bling, just look at the coronation….

I don’t think Mette-Marit likes big jewellery…. Everyone can’t be a Maxima who probably sleeps in the house diamonds :lol:

But i do wish she would wear the Pearl Tiara in the smaller version more often, when Queen Sonja is wearing her other tiaras…

Unfortunately the coronation did not allow for big Jewels we don't know in what she would have appeared would it have been a white tie Event.

I don’t think Mette-Marit likes big jewellery…. Everyone can’t be a Maxima who probably sleeps in the house diamonds :lol:

But i do wish she would wear the Pearl Tiara in the smaller version more often, when Queen Sonja is wearing her other tiaras…

but then please in a proper way and not like at the Wedding in 2010 when the tiara looked like a mess

but then please in a proper way and not like at the Wedding in 2010 when the tiara looked like a mess

I never understood why she wore it like that… The tiara looked like someone had dropped it on the pavement and they didn’t have time to fix it

It'll be nice if King Frederick and Queen Mary go to Norway by the royal yacht.

She was only there for that because she's friends with W-A and Maxima.

....although she has known Fred even longer than that, so, yeah, who knows.
After she ceased to be a member of the Royal House in 2002, Märtha hasn't participated in state visits from republics. She has, however, attended the gala dinners during state visits from European monarchies, i.e. the state visits from Spain in 2006, Luxembourg in 2011, and the Netherlands in 2010 and 2021.
She has also attended the gala dinners during the official visits from Sweden in 2005 and the UK in 2012 and 2018.

But that was before her full withdrawal from official duties in 2022, so a bit unsure whether she will be invited to attend this time.

"Denmark's royal couple on a state visit to Norway 14–15 May​

At the invitation of Their Majesties King Harald and Queen Sonja, Their Majesties King Frederik and Queen Mary will visit Norway on 14 and 15 May 2024. The visit is the Danish royal couple's first visit to Norway and confirms the close relations and the close neighborly relationship between Denmark and Norway.

Press release from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs:​

The official program starts in Oslo on Tuesday 14 May with a welcome ceremony at Honnørbryggen, a wreath-laying ceremony at Akershus Fortress and a meeting with Storting President Masud Gharahkhani. The Danish royal couple will also visit Oslo Science City and MiNaLab. There they will meet researchers and representatives of Danish and Norwegian business. The day ends with a gala dinner at the Royal Palace hosted by King Harald and Queen Sonja.
On Wednesday 15 May, Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Støre will host the government's lunch for Denmark's royal couple at Akershus Castle. In addition, King Frederik and Queen Mary will visit Østmarka in collaboration with the Norwegian Tourist Association (DNT) and take part in a city walk by Oslo's waterfront. The state visit ends with a return reception on the royal ship Dannebrog on Wednesday evening.
The program is being planned and changes may occur."

Glad to see a little bit more on the program.

The program so far seems a little less dense than that in Sweden - which makes sense given that the king of Norway reduced his workload because of health issues. Although, of course, Haakon could accompany Frederik and Mary on parts of the state visit (with Mette Marit if she is feeling well).

"Denmark's royal couple on a state visit to Norway 14–15 May​

At the invitation of Their Majesties King Harald and Queen Sonja, Their Majesties King Frederik and Queen Mary will visit Norway on 14 and 15 May 2024. The visit is the Danish royal couple's first visit to Norway and confirms the close relations and the close neighborly relationship between Denmark and Norway.

Press release from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs:​

The official program starts in Oslo on Tuesday 14 May with a welcome ceremony at Honnørbryggen, a wreath-laying ceremony at Akershus Fortress and a meeting with Storting President Masud Gharahkhani. The Danish royal couple will also visit Oslo Science City and MiNaLab. There they will meet researchers and representatives of Danish and Norwegian business. The day ends with a gala dinner at the Royal Palace hosted by King Harald and Queen Sonja.
On Wednesday 15 May, Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Støre will host the government's lunch for Denmark's royal couple at Akershus Castle. In addition, King Frederik and Queen Mary will visit Østmarka in collaboration with the Norwegian Tourist Association (DNT) and take part in a city walk by Oslo's waterfront. The state visit ends with a return reception on the royal ship Dannebrog on Wednesday evening.
The program is being planned and changes may occur."

Glad to see a little bit more on the program.
Thanks! Nice to get some initial details for the state visit to Norway. I am sure that as it gets closer, the full program will be published. Lovely that the return event will take place on the royal yacht (Same as for Sweden).

That's one of the advantages of having a royal yacht. No need to book a hotel and security is pretty good and less complicated.
Which is one of the reasons I hope for the BRF to get a new one.

I suppose there are worse places to spend your 20th wedding anniversary than Norway. LOL. I hope Mary pulls out the big guns for that state dinner. All the bling!

Looking forward to the Danish -Norwegian State Visit next week!

I am also looking forward to the state visit, but:
The NRF was best in social media and communication before. Now they are not very good. All the publicity in Sweden, made by the two royal courts of Sweden and Denmark, and SVT broadcasting, I do hope there will be any of it here as well. But the Norwegian royal court are always "late to the party", adressing the official calendar / programme too late to not make enough fuzz about their state visits. Maybe this has something to do with our King and Queen that are very old now and not following up modern times...

Jewellery for the state visit: I do not hope Queen Mary show up in her wedding tiara and earrings for the state banquet (which is their 20th anniversary), that will be boring. And Crown Princess Mette-Marit need to upgrade...

My last "negative" comment is the fact that the Danish royals had a return reception with suit only in Sweden. Very disappointing. Even the Dutch royals have at least black tie for this type of event.

The Danish Royal Family website has posted the program for the State Visit

thanks Izzie.
I took the liberty to copy and paste here

Tuesday 14 May
Welcome ceremony at Honnørbryggen at 11.00

AM The King and Queen arrive sailing in a chalup from the Royal Ship Dannebrog to Honnørbryggen in Oslo, accompanied by HRH Crown Prince Haakon of Norway and HRH Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway. Upon disembarkation, the Royal Couple are received by HRH King Harald V and Queen Sonja of Norway.
On arrival at Honnøbryggen, the Danish and Norwegian national anthems will be played. The King and Crown Prince Haakon will subsequently inspect the guard of honour. Before leaving for the Royal Palace, the King of Norway presents the Norwegian delegation, and the Royal Couple greets Danish compatriots in Norway and Norwegian schoolchildren.
In extension of the Honnørbryggen lies the Vippetangen. It was precisely on Vippetangen that King Haakon VII of Norway - born Prince Carl of Denmark - went ashore in November 1905 as king of Norway, which had broken the union with Sweden earlier that year. The new royal family was sailed to Oslo by the then royal ship Dannebrog.
During World War II, King Haakon and his family had to leave Norway. When they returned home in June 1945, it was precisely at Honnøbryggen that they disembarked.

Arrival at the Royal Palace at 11.25
The royal couple, the royal couple of Norway and the crown prince couple of Norway arrive at the Royal Palace.
In Den lille festsal, the Royal Couple, the King and Queen of Norway and the Crown Prince Couple of Norway will greet the delegations from Denmark and Norway. Afterwards, there will be a presentation of gifts in the White Salon.

Wreath laying at the National Monument for the victims of the war 1940-1945 Kl. 12.30
The King inspects a company of honor from HM The King's Guard, accompanied by the Crown Prince of Norway and the Commander, before a wreath is laid at the National Monument.
The National Monument for the Victims of the War 1940-1945 is a monument in memory of Norwegian fallen during the Second World War. The monument was designed by sculptor Gunnar T. Janson and was erected on the 25th anniversary of Norway's liberation on 8 May 1970. The dedication was presided over by King Harald, then Crown Prince Harald.

Courtesy visit to the President of the Storting at 12.50
The royal couple are received by Storting President Masud Gharahkhani in the Storting. The Storting is Norway's parliament with 169 members. The parliament building was completed in 1866 and is today among Norway's most distinctive buildings.
During the visit to the Storting, the royal couple will be accompanied by the Minister for the Environment, the Minister for Education and Research and the Minister for Digitization and Equality.

Lunch at Kongsgården at 13.45
The royal couple arrive at the Royal Palace, where the King and Queen of Norway are hosting a lunch with the participation of Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit.
Bygdø Kongsgård has been at the disposal of the Norwegian royal family almost continuously since the year 1305, when Håkon 5. Magnusson gave the property to his wife Queen Eufemia. Since 1905, Kongsgården has been the summer residence of the sitting monarch.

Visit to Oslo Science City and MiNaLab at 16.15
The royal couple and crown prince couple of Norway participate in a visit to Oslo Science City, where the focus will be on research into microchips, the potential of quantum technology and the cooperation between Norway and Denmark on the green transition. The visit begins with a tour of the laboratory MiNaLab, after which the King and Queen and the Crown Prince attend the closing seminar and the signing of a cooperation agreement on quantum technology between the University of Oslo and the Niels Bohr Institute.
Oslo Science City is Norway's first innovation district, where researchers, students and startups collaborate in areas such as health, climate and digitalisation.
The Micro- and Nanotechnology Laboratory (MiNaLab) is part of Oslo University and an open laboratory that can be used by students, researchers, industry and start-ups.
During the visit, the royal couple will be accompanied by the Minister for the Environment and the Minister for Digitization and Equality.

Gala table at the Royal Palace at 20.00
The royal couple participates in a gala dinner at the Royal Palace hosted by Norway's royal couple.

Wednesday 15 May
Visit to Østmarka National Park at 10.00

Together with the Crown Prince Couple of Norway, the Royal Couple start the day with a walk in Østmarka Nasjonalpark. Here, young 'natural talents' and guides from the Norwegian Tourist Association will present the scenic and urban national park, which is a gathering place for children and young people in particular. The park is also an example of how nature and biodiversity can be protected, while creating outdoor life for the city's citizens.
Østmarka is a nature reserve east of Oslo that covers approximately 256 square kilometers. Particularly characteristic are the bedrock formations created between 200 and 1,500 million years ago. In winter it is possible to ski in the area, while in summer it is hiking, cycling routes and swimming that attract the citizens.

Meeting with Norwegian Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Støre at 12.20
Norwegian Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Støre receives the Royal Couple in the Chief of Defense's residence.
The royal couple is accompanied during the visit by the Minister for the Environment and the Minister for Digitization and Equality.

The government's lunch at Akershus Castle at 13.00
The royal couple participates together with Norway's royal couple in the Norwegian government's official lunch at Akershus Castle. Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Støre hosts the lunch with guests from official Norway. Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Støre begins the lunch with a speech, after which the King gives a speech.
Akershus Castle dates from the Middle Ages, and it was here that Margrethe 1. lived as Norwegian queen when she was a child and young adult. Christian IV rebuilt the castle during his time as king, but today it has largely been restored to its original appearance.
Akershus is strategically located on Akersnæs and has never been taken by force by a foreign army. Today, the area remains military, and the daily guard is carried out by HM the King's Guard.

Architecture walk at the harbor front in Oslo Kl. 15.30
The Royal Couple, Queen Sonja and the Crown Prince Couple of Norway take part in an architecture walk along the waterfront in Oslo. Mayor of Oslo Anne Lindboe and chief curator Christian Pagh from the Oslo Architecture Triennale will present one of Oslo's new, central urban spaces, which has a Danish imprint within sustainable urban development and community architecture.
During the architecture walk, examples will be presented of how joint Danish-Norwegian solutions are helping to draw nature, water and people back into the center of Oslo. Along the way, stops will also be made at the Munch Museum and the Opera House.

Return event on the Royal Ship Dannebrog at 19.00
The royal couple will in the evening host a return event on the Royal Ship Dannebrog in honor of the Royal Couple of Norway.

I am also looking forward to the state visit, but:
The NRF was best in social media and communication before. Now they are not very good. All the publicity in Sweden, made by the two royal courts of Sweden and Denmark, and SVT broadcasting, I do hope there will be any of it here as well. But the Norwegian royal court are always "late to the party", adressing the official calendar / programme too late to not make enough fuzz about their state visits. Maybe this has something to do with our King and Queen that are very old now and not following up modern times...

Yes, they are constantly late to the party, and seldom do they post a video. Atleast they managed a group photo for the Moldovian visit so I guess they will manage for the danish visit as well.

And also… the NRF is looking a bit like a old peoples home at the moment, the King on crutches looking tired, Astrid in a Wheel chair (what a trooper she is), and Sonja, as sporty as she is and not with one grey hair yet(a mystery) does not give them a very young vibe to put it mildly…I hope, but I guess in vain, they will get their trump card, princess Ingrid down from Troms for this visit, its a just a couple of days before national day which they probably have free anyway…the press loves her and uses her picture as often as they can even without the article beeing about her, that would give the visit an extra interest in the press atleast and the King is her godfather…(though in her bio on kongehuset.no he is still crown prince whilst Felipe is upgraded to King H.K.H. Prinsesse Ingrid Alexandra )

And talking about her, she had finnished her recruit period, the military finally told us after alot of questions when she was home when the King was sick, why not release some photos and tell us what kind of service position she has now…I mean very easy, but they can’t manage…

Interview with the danish ambassador before the visit

Atleast Durek is in the US, selling himself for meet and greets for may 17😌

Last edited:
Well let's hope the DRF gets on the ball with posting about the visit on their social media. They have a YouTube channel they need to start using way more than they have.

Maybe because this is a first state visit from the Danish royals and given the close ties they have the NRF social media will step it up.

Most of the visit is with the CP couple. And I agree that maybe adding Princess Ingrid Alexandra to the state dinner and arrival if schedule permits would garner attention as it being her first such event.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom