Queen Mary of Denmark Jewels 1: 14 Jan 2024 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Even though the necklace is my favorite piece of the emerald parure, I am not too bothered by it not being highlighted to its fullest, presumably Queen Mary will wear it again on another occasion and showcase it better.

I don't know if this discussion is taken place in another thread, but what is the backstory on the FX's Ordensportrættet / Portrait Order, are the jewels in the order new jewels or were they taken from a previous order, if so my guess would be Queen Ingrid?

Even though the necklace is my favorite piece of the emerald parure, I am not too bothered by it not being highlighted to its fullest, presumably Queen Mary will wear it again on another occasion and showcase it better.

I don't know if this discussion is taken place in another thread, but what is the backstory on the FX's Ordensportrættet / Portrait Order, are the jewels in the order new jewels or were they taken from a previous order, if so my guess would be Queen Ingrid?
Below is an excerpt from the DRF website post addressing the New Family Order and the diamond frame Queen Mary is wearing.

On her chest, Her Majesty wears a brilliant miniature portrait of the King in a bow of the Order of the Dannebrog ribbon. For generations, it has been a tradition for female members of the royal family to wear the regent's miniature portrait. Thus, during her time as Crown Princess, The Queen wore a portrait of Queen Margrethe.

In connection with the change of throne, The Queen has received a miniature portrait of the King. The portrait was made by the British artist Tom Mulliner and inserted into a frame of gold with brilliants. The frame was originally designed for Empress Amelie of Brazil. As the Empress was childless, the frame passed to the Empress's sister, Queen Josefina of Sweden. Later, the frame passed to Queen Josefina's granddaughter, the later Queen Lovisa of Denmark, and she was thus the first Danish queen to wear a portrait of the Danish regent in this special frame. Later, Queen Alexandrine and Queen Ingrid wore the frame during their husbands' reigns, and from 1972 until the change of throne in January 2024, Queen Margrethe wore the frame with a portrait of her father, Frederik 9.

But then the other young Queen who has full Parures avaible to use is Máxima. Mathilde has only 2 necklaces which she has used with her biggest tiara for important State visits.
Letizia theoretically should have access to several demi-parures and also diamond rivières which she could match with her tiaras, but she chooses a minimalist approach .

Below is an excerpt from the DRF website post addressing the New Family Order and the diamond frame Queen Mary is wearing.

On her chest, Her Majesty wears a brilliant miniature portrait of the King in a bow of the Order of the Dannebrog ribbon. For generations, it has been a tradition for female members of the royal family to wear the regent's miniature portrait. Thus, during her time as Crown Princess, The Queen wore a portrait of Queen Margrethe.

In connection with the change of throne, The Queen has received a miniature portrait of the King. The portrait was made by the British artist Tom Mulliner and inserted into a frame of gold with brilliants. The frame was originally designed for Empress Amelie of Brazil. As the Empress was childless, the frame passed to the Empress's sister, Queen Josefina of Sweden. Later, the frame passed to Queen Josefina's granddaughter, the later Queen Lovisa of Denmark, and she was thus the first Danish queen to wear a portrait of the Danish regent in this special frame. Later, Queen Alexandrine and Queen Ingrid wore the frame during their husbands' reigns, and from 1972 until the change of throne in January 2024, Queen Margrethe wore the frame with a portrait of her father, Frederik 9.
OK, I thought that both Margrethe and Ingrid wore the Frederik IX portrait in the "special frame" and that there was more than one "special frame". Either I was mistaken and the picture of Ingrid was before her husband's death, or maybe Margrethe and Ingrid shared Frederik IX's Portrait Order in the "special frame".

Unfortunately the color (and the print) of the Queen's gown and the lack of proper lighting obscure the emeralds.

Since the emerald parure is never worn outside Denmark, we won't see it unfortunately either in the upcoming outgoing state visits in May, so we will have to wait a while for a better picture.
I see your point now, the set should be worn with a lower cut top, like the previous three queens, or a solid top with a contrasting shade or color. It just blends into the dress the details on it disappear.

I wonder what jewels Mary will wear tonight. I'm going to go out on a limb and say the sapphires.

I wonder what jewels Mary will wear tonight. I'm going to go out on a limb and say the sapphires.
They remain with Queen Margrethe so they are no Option.
After thinking over it i think it would make more sense to wear they rubies. From the married Pearl Parure only the tiara came via Sweden but it was there for such a short time that it was never worn by a swedish Queen. The rubies however all came from Sweden and have belonged to 2 swedish Queens.

The sapphires aren't available for Mary to wear. Those are Margrethe's personal jewels, so they stay with her. I'd like to see her wear the pearls for her first state visit as Queen, but she'll probably wear the rubies.

I love the sapphires I wonder if Margarethe would give Mary access to them during her lifetime.

I love the sapphires I wonder if Margarethe would give Mary access to them during her lifetime.
The Danish RF tend not to share jewellery, so I think it unlikely that Mary will get to wear the sapphires during Margarethe's lifetime.

You are correct. She is wearing the ruby parure. And not the complete!
So maybe (I am lucky) and she will debut the pearl poire tiara in Oslo next week :D

I won't lie and say I'm not a little disappointed she's not hauling out the big guns for her first state visit, but I also kind of suspected she'd wear the rubies in Sweden considering that's where they originated from.

Frederik and Mary's 20th anniversary is the gala dinner for the Norwegian state visit, so let's hope we get the pearls in a couple of weeks!

You are correct. She is wearing the ruby parure. And not the complete!
So maybe (I am lucky) and she will debut the pearl poire tiara in Oslo next week :D
Thats correct, she is wearing the tiara, the smaller version of the necklace and earrings.

Last edited:
I won't lie and say I'm not a little disappointed she's not hauling out the big guns for her first state visit, but I also kind of suspected she'd wear the rubies in Sweden considering that's where they originated from.

Frederik and Mary's 20th anniversary is the gala dinner for the Norwegian state visit, so let's hope we get the pearls in a couple of weeks!

But actually the rubies are also a big gun. It is only that she had them already since her marriage

I love the rubies but I am disappointed not to have seen her wear something different.
Perhaps she is wearing some different jewellery at the return dinner tmrw night.

I am not disappointed because her ruby set is nicer in my humble opinion than the Pearl Poire parure, even though Queen Mary is not wearing the full set tonight.

We should not forget either that Queen Ingrid wore the rubies frequently as queen consort, so it is not really a downgrade.

Agree
And the historic significance to Queen Ingrid, Frederik's beloved grandmother cannot be overlooked.
She is wearing, from what I can see, the tiara (obviously), the earrings and necklace (in modified form). The brooch is attached to her order sash, the bracelet and possibly the ring as well. I had gone back and forth as to what she would wear jewelry wise, but there should have been no doubt that Mary would wear the ruby set in Sweden at her first state banquet as Queen. This set is so connected to Sweden with a long history and so intrinsically connected to Queen Ingrid that it really is a no brainer.

I think we also have to remember that just because Mary is Queen now, does not mean that all of sudden she is going to raid the coffers and throw on all the bling. IMO, she has always been very selective with the jewelry she wears and how she wears it. And also, the ruby set is a big gun as some say. Not only in the bling factor but the historical aspect of the jewels. The family order frame she now wears also has connection to Brazil via Empress Amelie and it coming to Sweden. I think she looks amazing!!

I admire Queen Mary´s restraint in not using the other jewels available to her right away. A disappointment for us perhaps but we will have to patient a little while longer. The Pearl Poiré tiara also has ties to Sweden as it was inherited by Queen Louisa of Sweden & Norway, née Pss of the Netherlands and by her daughter the Queen Louise of Denmark née Pss of Sweden. Later they were of course also worn by Queen Ingrid though for a shorter period. Still, the magnificent rubies are always a sight to behold and have the strongest link to Sweden. It is unsure Queen Louisa of Sweden ever wore the pearls as she passed away only three month after the death of her mother, Louise of Prussia.

Last edited:
I no hope that we will get to see the pearl tiara in Norway. would fit as it belonged to the mother of King Haskon VII. and King Christian X. But colourwise the rubies would better fit the norwegian sash

If the emerald green gown she wore in her and Frederik's official portraits had a top similar to this dress, the necklace would have stood out better. That illusion netting looks so lovely on her. She's worn dresses with that kind of top before.

Wow.. that´s disappointing! First state visit and even a royal one and Qu Mary is NOT wearing one of tiaras only to be worn by the current Queen of Denmark....!

The Ruby Parure was worn by Queen Ingrid when she was queen, both before and after her husband's death. It's not meant for Crown Princesses only. They're Frederik's property, as his grandmother willed them to him, and he gave them to Mary to wear. So, they're as much the queen's jewels as anything else Mary has access to now.

Back
Top Bottom