Wedding of Leonie of Waldburg and Caspar count Matuschka, June 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hereditarytitles

Courtier
City
cologne
Country
Germany
More photos and articles:

https://www.bunte.de/royals/royals-weltweit/oesterreichischer-adel/leonie-von-waldburg-zeil-hohenems-caspar-matuschka-feiern-traumhochzeit.html

Adlige Traumhochzeit: Ururur-Enkelin von Kaiserin Sisi frisch vermählt

Gräfin Leonie von Waldburg-Zeil-Hohenems: Sissi-Nachfahrin sagt im Spitzenkleid "Ja"

Among the featured royal guests, for now, we know were King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima of the Netherlands with Crown Princess Amalia, Hereditary Princess Sophie of Liechtenstein and her daughter Princess Marie Caroline.

ETA: Also Hereditary Prince Alois of Liechtenstein was present:

Niederländisches Königspaar in Hohenems

Last edited:
Today, King Willem-Alexander, Queen Máxima and the Princess of Orange attended a wedding in Austria.
The bride is Countess Leonie von Waldburg-Zeil-Hohenems, of whom Willem-Alexander is best man. The groom is Count Caspar Matuschka.

Today, King Willem-Alexander, Queen Máxima and the Princess of Orange attended a wedding in Austria.
The bride is Countess Leonie von Waldburg-Zeil-Hohenems, of whom Willem-Alexander is best man. The groom is Count Caspar Matuschka.

I was there and saw them walking like all the other guests there to the Church.

Were any of the Habsburgs there? Or Liechtenstein?
From Liechtenstein Alois and Sophie with Marie Caroline. And Max and Angela. From the Habsburgs Simeon and Maria. But many others like Duke Wilhelm of Württemberg with his mother Msrie, Margrave and Margravine of Baden, Fürstin Mathilde of Waldburg-Zeil with a daughter and many German nobles from that Area

From Liechtenstein Alois and Sophie with Marie Caroline. And Max and Angela. From the Habsburgs Simeon and Maria. But many others like Duke Wilhelm of Württemberg with his mother Msrie, Margrave and Margravine of Baden, Fürstin Mathilde of Waldburg-Zeil with a daughter and many German nobles from that Area
IIRC Archduchess Marie, née Pss of the Two Sicilies was the godmother of Css Leonie. And Willem/Alexander was indeed the godfather. Nice that they are there. The bride looked lovely. A surprisingly large turn-out of the Gotha btw.

A video:

Apparently the friendship between the families is due to the skiing holidays. Palast Hohenhems not far away from Lech, where the Dutch RF has their skiing holidays since the 1950s.

Last edited:
The House of Waldburg-Zeil is quite rich, I read, billionaires. 10 000 ha or 100 square kilometers or almost 25 000 acres in agricultural land alone and several castles. Plus private hospitals and so on...

The family has only daughters and the oldest one will inherit.

The bride here in this wedding is - as I read - the second oldest.

The House of Waldburg-Zeil is quite rich, I read, billionaires. 10 000 ha or 100 square kilometers or almost 25 000 acres in agricultural land alone and several castles. Plus private hospitals and so on...

The family has only daughters and the oldest one will inherit.

The bride here in this wedding is - as I read - the second oldest.
That is the Family of Waldburg zu Zeil and Trauchburg, where the present Fürst is married to Duchess Mathilde of Württemberg. This is a junior branch of that Family. However they have in common that in both cases the present head has only daughters.

That is the Family of Waldburg zu Zeil and Trauchburg, where the present Fürst is married to Duchess Mathilde of Württemberg. This is a junior branch of that Family. However they have in common that in both cases the present head has only daughters.
Well, that is good for Count Matuschka, because his family is not rich. Years ago I knew Count Karl Matuschka, because we worked at the same public radio/tv station. He must be in his late Eighties now. He was quite normal, never wanted to be called "Count". His brother Erwein was in the wine producing business and sadly took his own life. I would like to know in what relation the groom is to the older members, but cannot find any information about this family online.

Ah, this is how I mixed the main branch up with the junior one probably - both have only daughters! What are the odds?

Thank you, Stefan, for the further information!

But the junior branch is obviously rich too - They still own several castles.
Waldburg-Zeil-Hohenems – Wikipedia

Well, that is good for Count Matuschka, because his family is not rich. Years ago I knew Count Karl Matuschka, because we worked at the same public radio/tv station. He must be in his late Eighties now. He was quite normal, never wanted to be called "Count". His brother Erwein was in the wine producing business and sadly took his own life. I would like to know in what relation the groom is to the older members, but cannot find any information about this family online.
The bride belongs to the Hohenems line of the Waldburg family. Whilst, the family isn’t poor as the brides father bought out his family members of a share of family property, the Hohenems branch aren’t as wealthy as the senior Waldburg-Zeil branch.

The bride belongs to the Hohenems line of the Waldburg family. Whilst, the family isn’t poor as the brides father bought out his family members of a share of family property, the Hohenems branch aren’t as wealthy as the senior Waldburg-Zeil branch.
Thanks for the info, other members explained that too. My question was about the groom's family, the Matuschka-Greiffenclau family which we do not know much about. At least I found out, which is interesting, that Erwein Count of Matuschka Greiffenclau, who is an uncle or great uncle of the groom, was married to Sophie von Waldburg Zeil-Trautburg. They divorced in 1983 and had no children.
Even if that is long ago, there has already been a connection to that family. I often wonder how it happens that nobility are often still marrying nobility. There must be some secret code or maybe they have circles, events, or whatever to arrange for their offspring to meet.

Thanks for the info, other members explained that too. My question was about the groom's family, the Matuschka-Greiffenclau family which we do not know much about. At least I found out, which is interesting, that Erwein Count of Matuschka Greiffenclau, who is an uncle or great uncle of the groom, was married to Sophie von Waldburg Zeil-Trautburg. They divorced in 1983 and had no children.
Even if that is long ago, there has already been a connection to that family. I often wonder how it happens that nobility are often still marrying nobility. There must be some secret code or maybe they have circles, events, or whatever to arrange for their offspring to meet.
As far as i know the Matuschka Family is quiet numerous and there are several branches. No Idea to which the groom belongs. His older brother Vincent is engaged to Countess Hemma of Khevenhüller-Metsch. Her mother is a daughter of the late Fürst Albrecht zu Castell-Castell.

Last edited:
I guess that is the problem with that family finding out the different branches. You mentioned the older brother Vincent, and the groom himself I couldn't place them anywhere. The only thing I found out about the family of Karl Graf von Matuschka-Greiffenclau because I knew him is: His family branch was well known in Germany because his younger brother, Erwein, Castel Vollrads, who when he went bankrupt took his life. He has two daughters, but not much is known about them. Karl Matuschkas second son is very successful and bought a small castle in Switzerland, which he is managing quite well. There have been big family feuds about Castle Vollrads and the suicide etc. Those other Matuschkas are keeping a low profile, and as there are no big fortunes in that family, nobody knows much about them.

Some go to the same schools as other nobles, some are introduced via friends or family, some meet at workplace etc. some might meet up a church group (especially Catholic nobles), some meet at hunting parties, balls.

I have traced the link between the two brothers you mention and the groom at this wedding. It is very distant, as their common ancestor is Count Joseph von Matuschka (1764-1829), who married Baroness Ernestine von Strachwitz und Gross-Zauche (1765-1811) in 1785.

Karl-Philip (1937) -> Richard (1893) --> Rudolf (1847) -> Hugo (1822) -> Gustav (1793) -> Joseph (1764)

Caspar (1994) -> Wilhelm (1963) ->Victor (1932) -> Michael (1888) -> Emanuel (1855) -> Victor (1824) -> Victor (1789) -> Joseph (1764)

By my reckoning, that makes Count Karl-Philip and Count Caspar fourth cousins, twice removed.

This page provides 95% of the information, but has not been updated to include Wilhelm's children with Maria Luisa von Voss (Vincent and Caspar) - that info comes from this site instead.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
An interesting article from Marlene Koenig about the wedding:

scroll down, under the many wonderful photos Marlene writes that Count Franz Clemens seems to having a disagreement with other relatives, including the head of the family Count Erich ánd the Prince of Waldburg and Wolfegg ánd with his own brother Stephan Georg. the disagreement seems twofold: Franz Clemens wantss to have the Hohenhems family listed as a seperate family in the Gothaisches Genealogisches Handbuch and not as a side branch of the Waldburg-Zeil family. And he wants his eldest daughter Tatjana instated as his heiress.

For that reason his brother and wife did not attend the wedding (their children did), neither did count Erich (his wife and one of his daughters did) and the Prince of Wolfegg only attended the wedding ceremony but not the reception.

Last edited:
The bride looks absolutely beautiful! Everything looked perfect and her bouquet was divine!

I recall at Tatjana's wedding it was announced that she would be keeping her name and all possible issue from their marriage would have  her surname. I remember thinking that to be very odd. I guess it makes sense now.
The King of the Netherlands is no stranger to title disputes. However, he should really talk some sense into his best friend!

Last edited:
I have traced the link between the two brothers you mention and the groom at this wedding. It is very distant, as their common ancestor is Count Joseph von Matuschka (1764-1829), who married Baroness Ernestine von Strachwitz und Gross-Zauche (1765-1811) in 1785.

Karl-Philip (1937) -> Richard (1893) --> Rudolf (1847) -> Hugo (1822) -> Gustav (1793) -> Joseph (1764)

Caspar (1994) -> Wilhelm (1963) ->Victor (1932) -> Michael (1888) -> Emanuel (1855) -> Victor (1824) -> Victor (1789) -> Joseph (1764)

By my reckoning, that makes Count Karl-Philip and Count Caspar fourth cousins, twice removed.

This page provides 95% of the information, but has not been updated to include Wilhelm's children with Maria Luisa von Voss (Vincent and Caspar) - that info comes from this site instead.

I hope this helps.
:flowers: Thank you very much for your research! It helps a lot and the link is interesting for me. With that information I'm not surprised that Karl Matuschka's children didn't attend the wedding, the realtionship is really very distant.

I recall at Tatjana's wedding it was announced that she would be keeping her name and all possible issue from their marriage would have  her surname. I remember thinking that to be very odd. I guess it makes sense now.
The King of the Netherlands is no stranger to title disputes. However, he should really talk some sense into his best friend!

I suppose titles do not officially exist in Austria. But to get recognised by the GGHA will be complicated-not happening. Not that it is a novelty, we have seen other families such as the Anhalts, the Castro´s, the Prince of Venice, the Saxony´s etc. trying to bend the old succession rules as well. And I am sure more will follow in the case of the head of the family having daughters and no sons. And it is natural for parents to prefer the inheritance going to their direct descendants over a nephew I suppose.

I am not aware of any title disputes in the Dutch RF? Other perhaps thaan the Duke of Parma and his Carlist claim.

I hope this helps.
Thanks for that. There are even 2 more brothers of Count Caspar. Count Ludwig and Konrad as posted on the Nobiliana forum.

I suppose titles do not officially exist in Austria. But to get recognised by the GGHA will be complicated-not happening. Not that it is a novelty, we have seen other families such as the Anhalts, the Castro´s, the Prince of Venice, the Saxony´s etc. trying to bend the old succession rules as well. And I am sure more will follow in the case of the head of the family having daughters and no sons. And it is natural for parents to prefer the inheritance going to their direct descendants over a nephew I suppose.

I am not aware of any title disputes in the Dutch RF? Other perhaps thaan the Duke of Parma and his Carlist claim.
As far as i know it similar to like in Germany but that there is only for example Waldburg-Zeil-Hohenems in the surname as the use of Graf/Gräfin and von is forbidden. And of course as it are only names now it is quiet easy. The daughter simply does not take her huisbands name and the children get their mothers name.
Acutally this is not really a Junior branch with an own Head of the Family but a junior branch of the Waldburg-Zeil-Trauchburg branch. I think the Issue is more who will take over the Palace in Hohenems. A few years ago there was a Programm on the SWR where the Count said they would like to have their oldest daughter take it over and she also said in it that she is interested.

The bride looked radiant and the church was a beautiful setting for the Wedding!

Back
Top Bottom