Princess Märtha Louise & Durek Verrett: News & Information 2019 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The police are getting ready for the wedding
On Thursday there was a heavy police presence in Geiranger in connection with the planning of this summer's big princess wedding.
A police helicopter landed on a field near Union, and in the car park outside the hotel there were a number of police vehicles.
- The police are on inspection today as part of the planning, confirms Chief of Staff Kenneth Sætre in the Møre and Romsdal police district to TV 2.

The police in Møre and Romsdal are providing large crews for the princess wedding. They ask for extra money to cover the costs.
Oslo Police District sends four police motorcycles to the wedding weekend. Local police fear traffic chaos, and believe that motorbikes are important for emergency preparedness in order to arrive quickly if something unexpected happens.
The plan is for Nasjonale Bistandsressurser to help with a helicopter for monitoring from the air, and personnel and dogs from the bomb squad. The police district has also asked the Coast Guard for assistance.
The police have applied for airspace restrictions from Friday 30 August at 06.00 until the night of Monday 2 September for the center of Geiranger in order to control helicopter, small aircraft and drone activity over the area. The Norwegian Civil Aviation Authority approves the application and creates the restricted area as requested.

Video of Märtha Louise and Durek's interview at the Elle Norway event at this article.
Märtha Louise said also that it was the press that had invented the boycott.
- I have said that I will not comment more on articles and the like, that is what we are not supposed to do. I have never said that I will boycott the press or not talk to them, said Märtha. It was you (the press) who came up with the boycott...

Last edited:
Boycott the press? - Nah, that would have meant suffocating themselves.

There is a much used saying in Danish, which roughly translates to: You take a stand until you change your mind. (Man har et standpunkt til man tager et nyt.)
I have no idea what that saying suddenly popped up in my mind. - Must be the weather...

The police in Møre and Romsdal are providing large crews for the princess wedding. They ask for extra money to cover the costs.
Oslo Police District sends four police motorcycles to the wedding weekend. Local police fear traffic chaos, and believe that motorbikes are important for emergency preparedness in order to arrive quickly if something unexpected happens.
The plan is for Nasjonale Bistandsressurser to help with a helicopter for monitoring from the air, and personnel and dogs from the bomb squad. The police district has also asked the Coast Guard for assistance.
The police have applied for airspace restrictions from Friday 30 August at 06.00 until the night of Monday 2 September for the center of Geiranger in order to control helicopter, small aircraft and drone activity over the area. The Norwegian Civil Aviation Authority approves the application and creates the restricted area as requested.

Would this be the first time in Norway's history that a privately-paid family or social event (whether for the royal family or another prominent family) has required this degree of publicly-funded security?

Märtha Louise and Durek arrived yesterday to Geiranger. Today the couple was at Hotel Union, where the upcoming wedding will take place.
Are you looking forward to the wedding? asks Dagbladet Durek when they met him at the reception of Hotel Union in Geiranger.
- Of course, I'm gonna marry the woman of my dreams.
In a closed room on the first floor of the traditional hotel, built in 1891, the bride and groom and several others were gathered around a meeting table. They smile and laugh as they go through papers.
A TV team was present for large parts of the meeting.

Nettavisen's royal house expert Tove Taalesen:
Märtha and Durek's royal wedding is a three day celebration. And the guests apparently have to pay for both travel and accommodation themselves. Is it really reasonable to expect the invited guests to spend tens of thousands of crowns to celebrate love?
We don't know much. But we know some things. At the "get to know each other" party, guests must dress "sexy and cool". It isn't typical for a Norwegian wedding, and it will be exciting if it means bare stomach, deep necklines, open shirts or lacquer and leather, I have no idea what this dress code means.
If rumors are to be believed, the guests have been emphatically asked not to wear white, all black, all pink and all types of gold dresses at the actual wedding party. And it has to be a ball gown. Not all people have ball gowns hanging in their closets, so this will also be expensive for the guests.

VG has contacted the royal houses in Sweden and Denmark, who will not comment on anything in connection with the Märtha and Durek wedding.
- It will be complete chaos. I think it will be a miserable business, because it will be destroyed by chaos, say Kjetil Sørensen and his son Haakon Theim Sørensen, who run a souvenir shop in the center of Geiranger, 100 meters below Hotel Union.
They state that there are around 150 parking spaces in the area in total, and around 40 tourist buses that regularly drive through Geiranger - a village that normally has just over 200 inhabitants.

This coming Monday, the bride and groom are inviting their inner circle to the launch of their specially made wedding drink.
"In collaboration with Oslo Håndverksdestilleri and Fentimans, Märtha Louise and Durek Verrett have the pleasure of inviting you to the launch of their specially made wedding drink", is written in the invitation.
They will present their own unique gin which they have made especially for the wedding in Geiranger.

Last edited:
On Monday, the bride and groom invited to a closed launch of their gin, the specially made wedding drink.
Most of the press in attendance were not allowed to enter the actual launch.
The gin, named "OHD Pink Gin", went on sale at Vinmonopolet in May. It contains 40 % alcohol, and costs almost NOK 500 for a 75 centiliter bottle.
Nettavisen's royal expert Tove Taalesen says she understands very well what Märtha Louise and Durek do, because they are commercial, after all, they have to make their money by selling products.
She doesn't believe that the royal family is particularly excited about the collaboration, and recalls that the King has previously stated that he doesn't want to be associated with commercial products.
- We know that the brands that the princess and Durek have, the King has been very clear that he shouldn't be associated with any of that. And the fact that it will be released at Vinmonopolet makes it a commercial product. And what will always stick with the princess, is that she is the daughter of the King and whatever she does is linked to him anyway.

Durek has declared that he is a big fan of popular rapper Adrian Sellevoll, and he has also shared Adrian's music to his close to half a million followers. Adrian has told that he and Durek are friends.
Adrian was invited to the gin launch and spoke with the press.
- I was invited to the wedding, but then I was taken off the list. They had to have more space for other "royals".
So you were un-invited to the wedding?
- Yes. But I also have the release of my debut album that weekend, so it is quite ok.

Durek has declared that he is a big fan of popular rapper Adrian Sellevoll, and he has also shared Adrian's music to his close to half a million followers. Adrian has told that he and Durek are friends.
- I was invited to the wedding, but then I was taken off the list. They had to have more space for other "royals".
- Yes. But I also have the release of my debut album that weekend, so it is quite ok.

Assuming that Mr. Sellevoll is giving an accurate description of the situation, that is a gracious reaction on his part, as many would probably feel hurt to be invited, accept and then be disinvited to a friend's wedding to "have more space for other 'royals'".

It also raises the question of why more would-be guests were invited than the chosen space could accommodate (I doubt that those "other royals" who Adrian Sellevoll was booted for are wedding-crashing without an invitation) or why the facility was prioritized over the guests (if it was discovered partway through that its gathering space was too small for the invitees, more diplomatic solutions could have been to find a larger facility, to set up viewing screens in another building nearby for the less close friends...).

In November 2022, Märtha Louise and Durek were given rules on how they could use the princess title. It became clear that the princess can no longer use the title in connection with commercial activity.
Märtha Louise and Durek presented a specially made gin. "The gin was made for the wedding of Princess Märtha Louise and Durek Verrett", the producer wrote on its website.
By Wednesday evening, the princess title in this sentence had been removed.
According to Se og Hør the same text is also on the label of the bottle. Se og Hør contacted the royal house, and questioned the use of the princess's title on the label of a spirit sold commercially at Vinmonopolet.
Märtha Louise's manager Carina Scheele Carlsen confirms to VG on Thursday that action has been taken.
- Unfortunately, there was a mistake, and therefore the title has now been removed from the website, and it will be removed in the next batch also on the bottles.
The bride and groom have stated that they receive no profit from the sale of the drink.

IMO there have been to many mistakes when it comes to using the Princess title commercially. I have always liked Märtha Louise, and been supporting in what she has been doing, but now I get a bit fed up with the whole thing. How difficult can it be to separate the Princess role? Sometimes I wonder if these 'mistakes' it's been doing delibertely...

Assuming that Mr. Sellevoll is giving an accurate description of the situation, that is a gracious reaction on his part, as many would probably feel hurt to be invited, accept and then be disinvited to a friend's wedding to "have more space for other 'royals'".

It also raises the question of why more would-be guests were invited than the chosen space could accommodate (I doubt that those "other royals" who Adrian Sellevoll was booted for are wedding-crashing without an invitation) or why the facility was prioritized over the guests (if it was discovered partway through that its gathering space was too small for the invitees, more diplomatic solutions could have been to find a larger facility, to set up viewing screens in another building nearby for the less close friends...).
It was very graceful of him indeed. - Almost to the point of relief...

Uninviting guests is IMO very poor form.
It should be fairly straightforward, especially with ML and her shaman's background and life-experience. You decide how many guests you are able to afford, and then decide who to invite and when you know how many accept, then you book tables, rooms and so on.
It's not rocket science and both of them have been married before.

If you for whatever reason decide to invite additional guests you eat the bill, too bad.
Univiting guests is a great way to unfriend people as well.

At least Sellvoll now know where he stands in regards to ML and her Durek. Very low.

I find it almost unbelievable that they can't see it themselves.

They also missed a good PR opportunity here. They could have invited the press to taste the gin and given an informal brief interview at the same time.
The interest is there and the press is going to write about them anyway, so had they invested a little time and money in giving the press a lump of meat, it might have turned out to be beneficial.

- I sure hope they can afford the wedding, because the press will write about it if there are problems with the bills or some kind of discount is "negotiated"...

IMO there have been to many mistakes when it comes to using the Princess title commercially. I have always liked Märtha Louise, and been supporting in what she has been doing, but now I get a bit fed up with the whole thing. How difficult can it be to separate the Princess role? Sometimes I wonder if these 'mistakes' it's been doing delibertely...
I’ve always liked her too, but I can’t deal with the bad judgment, especially for a middle aged mother. I can’t really tell if her decision making is the result of being coddled, gullibility or what? It’s especially odd to expose your children to someone like him after they have suffered from their father’s fragile mental state. That guy is a dangerous demagogue.

Well, once again it beggars believe as to why a Princess, who was raised to be polite and has spent her whole life around events that her family has invited people to, would act like this...
It's incredibly unpolite to disinvite someone. If the invited royals were unable to confirm their attendance that far in advance, Märtha Louise should have planned for their attendance, even if it wasn't certain.

I think the bills will be paid one way or another. It would be way too embarassing for the King to leave a Norwegian hotel or other Norwegian businesses unpaid by his daughter...

Last edited:
She keeps making these "mistakes", using her princess title for commercial purposes, and no consequences. The NRF, the king, does nothing.
So it will continue. Princess of Norway for sale.
The introducton of a special "gin" just recently which they promote, is surprising me. i cannot find the link, but I read somewhere that there are very strict laws in Norway when it comes to alcolhol,. Why are they promoting such a strong kind of alcohol in Norway and before their wedding? Need of money? I cannot find another reason for that, they must be desperate and have lost all understanding of decent behavior in public.
They are public persons, because of Märtha, but she doesn't care, sorry to say.

The introducton of a special "gin" just recently which they promote, is surprising me. i cannot find the link, but I read somewhere that there are very strict laws in Norway when it comes to alcolhol,. Why are they promoting such a strong kind of alcohol in Norway and before their wedding? Need of money? I cannot find another reason for that, they must be desperate and have lost all understanding of decent behavior in public.
They are public persons, because of Märtha, but she doesn't care, sorry to say.
They don't make any money on the gin according to ML

The launch of the gin made for Märtha Louise and Durek's wedding may also be illegal. It is not legal for industry players to "initiate, influence or finance" mention of alcohol.
- Generally speaking, a press launch is considered to initiate press coverage, which would normally be seen as a breach of the advertising ban, says the Directorate of Health's divisional director Linda Granlund to NRK.
Yesterday Vinmonopolet stopped the sale of the gin, because it may be in breach of the ban on alcohol advertising.
This was confirmed by senior communications advisor at Vinmonopolet Kristine Sanne to NRK.
- We have been made aware that the label has been changed since it was registered with the ordering committee. When this item was entered, it had a different label than it has now. It may be in breach of the ban on alcohol advertising.

A new gin made for Märtha Louise and Durek's wedding will now be subject to supervision by the Directorate of Health, reports Aftenposten. Divisional director Linda Granlund informs that Aftenposten that they will send an inquiry to the manufacturer OHD during the day today to get more clarity on the matter.

Last edited:
On Monday, the bride and groom invited to a closed launch of their gin, the specially made wedding drink.
Most of the press in attendance were not allowed to enter the actual launch.
The gin, named "OHD Pink Gin", went on sale at Vinmonopolet in May. It contains 40 % alcohol, and costs almost NOK 500 for a 75 centiliter bottle.
Nettavisen's royal expert Tove Taalesen says she understands very well what Märtha Louise and Durek do, because they are commercial, after all, they have to make their money by selling products.
She doesn't believe that the royal family is particularly excited about the collaboration, and recalls that the King has previously stated that he doesn't want to be associated with commercial products.
- We know that the brands that the princess and Durek have, the King has been very clear that he shouldn't be associated with any of that. And the fact that it will be released at Vinmonopolet makes it a commercial product. And what will always stick with the princess, is that she is the daughter of the King and whatever she does is linked to him anyway.

Omg! This is just so so bad. How can you invite someone to your wedding, and then un-invite them? Jeez..I agree now, this wedding will be a complete chaos...

Had my mother introduced me for such a man after my father died - i wouldn’t have thought twice before distancing myself from both…

It’s beyond me that a 53 year old woman is so unable to see how embarrasing all this mess is… She behaves more like she is an obstinate 15,3 years old…

Princess or not - it’s not like everyone doesn’t know that she is the daughter and eldest child of the King and Queen… Everything she says and everything she does will for as long as she lives be linked to them wether she is ”Princess Märtha Louise” or ”Mrs Märtha Louise Verrett”

Sometimes i wonder how The King secretly must feeling having a daughter who claims that she can talk to his late mother… Crown Princess Märtha also died under very traumatic circumstances and left King Harald motherless already at 17… Both Harald and Astrid have talked about how it affected them and how much of an open wound it feels like… If i had a daughter who claimed such things for me, i would probably go crazy…

Sometimes i wonder how The King secretly must feeling having a daughter who claims that she can talk to his late mother… Crown Princess Märtha also died under very traumatic circumstances and left King Harald motherless already at 17… Both Harald and Astrid have talked about how it affected them and how much of an open wound it feels like… If i had a daughter who claimed such things for me, i would probably go crazy…
I wouldn't blame ML too much for this one, particularly. She is named after her grandmother and perhaps has always felt the connection there, and CP Märtha does live on through her, and we know Harald loves her very, very much, partly with some of the love he still has for his mother (and ML genuinely loves him, too. Maybe she's trying to help him deal with the hurt). Everybody deals with the past in their own way.

Now if it was someone like Verrett who claimed such a thing, that's different and more automatically negative.

Until now, Märtha Louise's manager Carina Scheele Carlsen has taken care of the communication, something she will do until Simon Eriksen Valvik takes over closer to the wedding day.
A press release confirms that Durek Verrett's former PR manager is engaged as press and communications officer for the operational execution of the wedding and will be the contact point and spokesperson for the press.
Parish priest Margit Lovise Holte will marry Princess Märtha Louise and Durek Verrett in Geiranger on 31 August, after the Norwegian Church's wedding liturgy.

Until now, Märtha Louise's manager Carina Scheele Carlsen has taken care of the communication, something she will do until Simon Eriksen Valvik takes over closer to the wedding day.
A press release confirms that Durek Verrett's former PR manager is engaged as press and communications officer for the operational execution of the wedding and will be the contact point and spokesperson for the press.
Parish priest Margit Lovise Holte will marry Princess Märtha Louise and Durek Verrett in Geiranger on 31 August, after the Norwegian Church's wedding liturgy.

It is interesting that it will be a Church of Norway wedding after all. In this case I wonder why the couple chose to hold the ceremony in a hotel rather than a church/cathedral as usual. As Hans-Rickard shared previously, the Church of Norway does conduct some weddings at venues other than church buildings, but it is not the norm and requires advance permission from the church.

The norwegian version has another option that doesn’t seem to be listed at the english version. It basically indicates that it is possible to hold wedding services outside or at other places, but that it must be requested and approved by the local parish in advance.

Utendørs eller andre steder i Norge

Dersom dere ønsker å gifte dere utendørs, kontakter dere presten i området der dere ønsker å ha vielsen. Det er viktig at stedet er godt tilrettelagt for vielse. Noen vigselssteder må godkjennes internt i kirken på forhånd, så det er lurt å være ute i god tid.

wich in english means

Outdoors or at other places in Norway

If you want to get married outdoors, you contact the priest in the area where you want to have the wedding ceremony. It is important that the place is well prepared for the wedding. Some wedding venues must be approved by the Church in advance, so it's a good idea to book well in advance.

Slik planlegger dere en personlig seremoni til deres bryllupsdag

Also interesting to know that Simon Eriksen Valvik will return to the job after publicly discussing the difficulties he was having in April.

Simon Valvik, Durek's former manager in Norway, says about his job that it was very difficult when a case about Durek was to be published in Norway and a journalist wanted a response, it had to be translated so that Durek understood it, the context of the case also had to be explained to Durek, especially if it involved expert sources Durek was not aware of beforehand. And the nine-hour time difference between Norway and Los Angeles was challenging. When the media wanted to come out quickly with the case, Valvik didn't have a chance to answer. Valvik says it was also challenging to be a spokesperson as consideration had to be given to the people around Durek, including the royal family and Märtha Louise and her children. You have to take in the complexity surrounding every statement he has made on behalf of Durek. On one side you have the Palace and the royal family, Durek and his family on the other. Also Märtha and her daughters.

What a mess!

Guests being uninvited at short notice and now using the wedding to promote a gin with MLs "princess" title accidentally included...which itself turns out might be illegal.

There always seems to be drama around these two.

Back
Top Bottom