The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 8: April - August 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a lot of reaching in here to make them worse than they are. And that's coming from me, someone who doesn't like them at all. They can go out to dinner within 72 hours after something being released by the Royal Family without it being a response or to compete with the Palace. It's absolutely ridiculous to think otherwise.
Again, I can't stand them but I'm not making the worst out of every teensy little thing they do.

Last edited:
I don't like them either, but I don't see that it's a big deal that they went out to a restaurant.

If they had wanted to complete with that, they should have done something bigger and more elaborate. [emoji38]
An anouncement for a new podcast of something of the sort, not a few pictures of them going in and out of a restaurant.

Seriously. If blurry pictures of them walking somehow “competes” with officially planned videos of the royals…

That’s a different problem.

Seriously. If blurry pictures of them walking somehow “competes” with officially planned videos of the royals…

That’s a different problem.

It doesn't. The "competition" is at a whole different level, so, if the Sussexes want tro play this game, they will lose.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 8: Apr. 2023 -

There's a lot of reaching in here to make them worse than they are. And that's coming from me, someone who doesn't like them at all. They can go out to dinner within 72 hours after something being released by the Royal Family without it being a response or to compete with the Palace. It's absolutely ridiculous to think otherwise.
Again, I can't stand them but I'm not making the worst out of every teensy little thing they do.

IA. The hiking photos last weekend- I rather think those were planned due to the coronation. Not that anything was ever going to compete with the coronation. But it showed Meghan seemingly having a nice afternoon with friends. And so much was made out of her not going.

These? Not so much. The BRF often have something going on. I don’t really think this was a response to them. My main question is why it would appear to me that they wanted to be seen going to eat sushi. IDK how this works, but I presume the press wasn’t just hanging out at a sushi place hoping someone interesting would show up. And- assuming they did want the pics- I’d have picked a better outfit than Meghan’s. Though her fashion sense and mine often varies.

I don’t get the why of it, but I don’t really think these pics were about competition with the BRF.

Last edited:
The bigger question is why TRH The Sussexes going to dinner was apparently noteworthy enough for the Daily Mail to write an entire article about it in the first place?

What competition? They went to dinner. People looking for reasons to be upset it seems.

Harry and Meghan have a life. They are allowed to live it regardless of other royals being outside too.

Last edited:
With the new details about Diaz and Paltrow I lost any doubt that it was a PR move.

There are a ton of celebrities that use Backgrid. And plenty of paps who go to restaurants in LA where celebrities go to dinner, after being called by staff working there.

https://archewell.com/news/mental-health-awareness-month/

In recognition of Mental Health Awareness Month, Prince Harry and Meghan, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex recently visited with a local youth group, AHA! Santa Barbara, to learn firsthand about this generation’s experiences with social media and societal pressures, and how it affects their mental well-being. The couple engaged with these amazing youth in candid conversation, working to find solutions together.

During this hour-long session, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex spoke with teens ages 14-18 about the opportunities social media can provide for connection and community, as well as the ways in which it also raises issues of insecurity, peer-pressure, and potential for self-harm, among other risks.

Last edited by a moderator:

In recognition of Mental Health Awareness Month, Prince Harry and Meghan, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex recently visited with a local youth group, AHA! Santa Barbara, to learn firsthand about this generation’s experiences with social media and societal pressures, and how it affects their mental well-being. The couple engaged with these amazing youth in candid conversation, working to find solutions together.

During this hour-long session, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex spoke with teens ages 14-18 about the opportunities social media can provide for connection and community, as well as the ways in which it also raises issues of insecurity, peer-pressure, and potential for self-harm, among other risks.

They could have been doing this sort of thing with deserving people here in the UK as part of the RF; but that clearly wasn't in their game plan. They walked out on our RF and us, the British people, to make lots of money and live like celebrities. Fate had brought them together and given them the perfect opportunity to get what they both wanted.

I'd have more time for this sort of thing per se if they'd done it minus all the attacks on the Royal Family. Now I just see two ex royals trying to stay important and setting up their own "court" in Montecito. I question the motives. I question how much they really care. I don't think they care about anything unless it furthers their public profile, their "brand". And it's a bit rich banging on about mental health when they've shown so little consideration for the mental health of other people.

Sorry to be so sceptical, but that's how it looks to me. Now the coronation's over, they want to be seen as relevant and as "good people", but what about all the mud-slinging beforehand?

As for them going out to dinner, I really couldn't care less if they eat in a sushi restaurant or the Ivy or McDonalds; they can churn out all the "good works" over there as much as they like, but they are no longer relevant or important here in the UK, where it really matters.

Last edited:
And I find it incredibly silly that some people are criticising a married couple for going out to dinner with others and representing it as some sort of a PR move.

Now we have established how silly we all find each other, perhaps we can move on from insulting each other and from engaging in this extremely tedious and childish tid-for-tad game that has been going on between a small set of members for years.

Move on...

Last edited:
Can I just clarify my original statement that started it? if not I will delete.

Ok, to clarify I don’t really care if they want to set up pap shots or not. It’s not a big deal it was just a comment. At this point it’s the least harmful of their behaviours. Hell, I hope they enjoy it. That said I do think it is highly likely this was staged and the timing is not a coincidence.

Harry and Meghan presumably leave their house often but they only ever get “paparazzi-ed” by Blackgrid if there’s a big BRF event either just happening or just happened (not necessarily the hour it happens or anything) despite they themselves having publicity/interest via their own projects at other times. No one is saying they can’t go out to dinner with friends or hiking with friends or wherever. But they go for months without being seen sometimes so clearly they can be private when they want to be. But Meghan just happens to be papped coronation weekend or they get papped going out to dinner within 24 hours of an event where it was predictable there would be BRF support, even if they didn't know any details?

They were papped going *in* to the restaurant, not out so the photographer was called by someone who knew where they were going beforehand ie their staff. It’s unlikely that Cameron Diaz for example called to tell them and they could book under a false name for privacy.

The details were given to Page Six, an outlet the Sussexes have used before to get their POV across and announce projects. Plus things like the Archie photos from Louis's birthday which are still up and they have never sued and in California there are now strict rules about taking photos of children.

If it was just once that it happened, then it’s nothing but it fits a pattern.

Again my original comment didn’t make it a big deal, just an observation and I like I said I hope they get some joy out of it because it’s pretty harmless and actually funny. simply predictable. But obviously no one has to agree with me.

Anyway, with the mental health visit, it could be good, as long as they use it productively. And Harry doesn't use it to promote his corporate coaching app and campaign against social media.

I'd have more time for this sort of thing per se if they'd done it minus all the attacks on the Royal Family. Now I just see two ex royals trying to stay important and setting up their own "court" in Montecito. I question the motives. I question how much they really care. I don't think they care about anything unless it furthers their public profile, their "brand". And it's a bit rich banging on about mental health when they've shown so little consideration for the mental health of other people.

Harry's own quotes definitely don't help here, what with wanting to "monetize kindness" and complaining about meeting ordinary people as a working royal. I would like to think they care but I'm pretty cynical. About them and other celebrities and yes, some royals don't always have good "game faces" about this but they are representing something bigger than themselves.

I also truly wish they would find effective therapists themselves but that's another conversation.

Last edited:
If HRH The Duchess of Sussex was having a meeting with Gwyneth Paltrow (and not them just being two people at the same restaurant), I wonder if she's restarting The Tig, and is asking the latter for advice/endorsement as the creator of goop.

I find this sort of thing quite questionable. It’s the operational operandi of the royals and works for them because their name brings attention.

This seems like a visit and conversation. Is anything coming form it? Is it feeding into Harry’s role with better up…as in to take advice forward? Is their any media surrounding it ? Pictures?

Because otherwise it seems shallow and pointless.

Edit: saw pictures.

So they bring their own photographer now. Do they try to get them in the media?

I mean the British media will bite because obsessed…one day they won’t. Do the American media.

I just think the business plan is flawed here.

They would have been better served to get behind an established charity.

Last edited:
I find this sort of thing quite questionable. It’s the operational operandi of the royals and works for them because their name brings attention.

This seems like a visit and conversation. Is anything coming form it? Is it feeding into Harry’s role with better up…as in to take advice forward? Is their any media surrounding it ? Pictures?

Because otherwise it seems shallow and pointless.

Edit: saw pictures.

So they bring their own photographer now. Do they try to get them in the media?

I mean the British media will bite because obsessed…one day they won’t. Do the American media.

I just think the business plan is flawed here.

They would have been better served to get behind an established charity.

It looks like it may be fact-finding/brainstorming for a future idea. These two comments from the Archewell post stand out:

"These important perspectives and experiences help us understand how mental wellness intersects with the online world, and what it means to promote digital wellness in a digital age."

"[The Archewell Foundation is] regularly meeting with young people, parents, and professionals to understand the challenges they may be facing while working together to drive towards long-term solutions on- and offline."

It looks like it may be fact-finding/brainstorming for a future idea. These two comments from the Archewell post stand out:

"These important perspectives and experiences help us understand how mental wellness intersects with the online world, and what it means to promote digital wellness in a digital age."

"[The Archewell Foundation is] regularly meeting with young people, parents, and professionals to understand the challenges they may be facing while working together to drive towards long-term solutions on- and offline."

That's nothing new. Harry has been on a tear about social media for years, specifically the mean comments. But they also use it to their advantage and let people like Scobie bully kids (their nephews and nieces) when they have a direct line to him and could have shut it down. If they want to say social media is detrimental to teen development in general then they are well behind the curve also.

I really would like them to find a productive niche that satisfies their need to be considered "global celebrity/royal philanthropists" and also actually contributes productively whilst not basing their entire lives on bashing the BRF. For their sake as well as Harry's family's.

Not holding my breath that this will be anything more than the latest press release though. They've "partnered" with other charities and foundations in the past like the lefkofsky foundation to help teen which went no where.

If they do ever come up with a long term plan or goal for Archewell then great, but I don't think this is it. It's fulfilling the checkbox of "Mental Health awareness month" so far at least. My work does the same thing.

That's nothing new. Harry has been on a tear about social media for years, specifically the mean comments. But they also use it to their advantage and let people like Scobie bully kids (their nephews and nieces) when they have a direct line to him and could have shut it down. If they want to say social media is detrimental to teen development in general then they are well behind the curve also.

I really would like them to find a productive niche that satisfies their need to be considered "global celebrity/royal philanthropists" and also actually contributes productively whilst not basing their entire lives on bashing the BRF. For their sake as well as Harry's family's.

Not holding my breath that this will be anything more than the latest press release though. They've "partnered" with other charities and foundations in the past like the lefkofsky foundation to help teen which went no where.

If they do ever come up with a long term plan or goal for Archewell then great, but I don't think this is it. It's fulfilling the checkbox of "Mental Health awareness month" so far at least. My work does the same thing.

I agree.

It all seems surface but seemingly in line with the life they want. So whatever.

Princes Trust. DOE Award have changed lives. Maybe Kate’s initiative will who knows. I don’t see anything tangible here.

And interestingly this hasn’t gotten picked up by the Uk media. Part of me feels the coronation is the beginning of the end of their obsession. Not before time. Not that they won’t be all over the court case like a rash.

And interestingly this hasn’t gotten picked up by the Uk media. Part of me feels the coronation is the beginning of the end of their obsession. Not before time. Not that they won’t be all over the court case like a rash.

Let's hope so.

Interestingly the BBC that was providing live updates on the hacking trial last week didn't do so yesterday and I didn't see it mentioned in their headlines. Sky News however seem to have picked up the baton, so here is a live feed from Sky News covering both yesterday's and today's proceedings, so readers can catch up on yesterday in one go (as I did). Giving evidence yesterday were a former Mirror journalist, and one Omid Scobie. Two former journalists are giving evidence today.

https://news.sky.com/story/prince-h...idence-at-prince-harry-hacking-trial-12881275

Last edited:

Good for them! This is solid "hitting the ground" work. Let's hope the insight and knowledge acquired will be used to do something productive and beneficial down the road.

I have to actually laugh at the thought of Harry positioning himself as a voice of credibility on mental health issues. Especially with impressionable Youth.
It strains credulity. Actually promoting controversial drug use as therapy, detailing his still over dependence on booze and weed. I see zero evidence of insight or knowledge, let alone accepting personal responsibilty or reflecting on emotional growth.

And now Harry is being invited to be a trustworthy champion of Mental health issues and challenges with vulnerable teens, is just laughable to me. When he, inspite of years of being involved in "Heads Together" mental health Initiative with William and Kate, claimed he had NO IDEA how to help his supposedly suicidal wife.

Meghan, just took the easy way out, and absurdly blamed The Palace "HR Dept" for not helping her. When they couldn't. And She knew it.

His Book screams OUT LOUD how immature, vengeful and unbalanced he still is. But, to the Organization that invited him, AHA Santa Barbara, it didn't matter. Their Titles are their ticket in. Nothing else.

I'm guessing next months Trial appearances for Harry in his continuing quest against The Media AND The Family-Firm in the UK will be electric. Fireworks galore.
A real make or break opportunity for Harry.

Last edited:
I don't think struggling with your own mental health disqualifies you from amplifying the voices of others.

I don't think struggling with your own mental health disqualifies you from amplifying the voices of others.

Struggling with your own mental health does not necessarily mean pursuing so-called solutions that should not be recommended to struggling teenagers, like using cannabis or asking the wrong agency for help.

Struggling with your own mental health does not necessarily mean pursuing so-called solutions that should not be recommended to struggling teenagers, like using cannabis or asking the wrong agency for help.

We do not know what was discussed at this meeting between Harry and the kids. There is no factual basis for this criticism.

While Harry discussed his own drug use in his book, where is the evidence of him recommending this to struggling teenagers?

[.....]

Last edited by a moderator:
We do not know what was discussed at this meeting between Harry and the kids. There is no factual basis for this criticism.

While Harry discussed his own drug use in his book, where is the evidence of him recommending this to struggling teenagers?

[.....]

Before this gets completely thrown off-topic again, I never said Harry and Meghan were recommending teenagers should do as they have done; I said the solutions they have publicized for themselves thus far should not be recommended to struggling teenagers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom