The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 8: April - August 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chased is chased. They literally had to go from one car to a taxi. They didn't say high-speed chase. They said chase. They used accurate words -- I think it's the public that isn't taking their words for what they are but adding other meaning and context behind it.

They used strong, accurate words because they wanted to be intentional about what happened, why it wasn't okay and why they would hope for it not to happen again.

I guess so many of us are use to the statements from BP that tip-toe around everything, give little detail, use vague wording -- and apparently require no independent verification the way we require from Harry and Meghan.

I thought only British media was against them. Now, American media is lying about them too?

If you didn’t think of Diana immediately- indeed, if your head was not filled with images of that night- when you saw the Sussex statement, I venture to say you are in the vanishing to non existent minority. You don’t need to say someone’s name to invoke them.

I can hardly think anyone at all would possibly argue that statement did not invoke Diana.

I saw the CNN alert on my phone "Prince Harry and Meghan Markle involved in near-catastrophic car chase" and I immediately thought of Diana. No statement from anyone required.

Intentional and also possibly accurate. No need to sugarcoat what happened when it could have ended fatally and you want it to stop. So you go with near-catastrophic. The taxi driver said it was chaotic, he had never seen anything like it, and they were nervous and scared.

We’ll probably vary in what we consider “near catastrophic”. NYPD made it clear no arrests were made, I’ll assume not even tickets were handed out even, and I’m happy to be corrected if I’m wrong.

Unless their driver was drunk and actually evading paparazzi recklessly, or the photographers were chasing them with deadly weapons instead of cameras, they were not in any sort of danger. This was repeated by police, the cabbie, Backgrid. The last time a catastrophe involving paparazzi and a royal happened, the royal’s driver was drunk. There was responsibility on the side of the Sussexes’ security and driver to deescalate these situations, stay put and call 911, or as they seem to have done, stop by a precinct. How could it have ended fatally?

The statement from the Sussex mouthpiece was obviously deliberately worded for reasons most people who read even the slightest on the Sussex's know. As usual though, their hyperbole just opens them up for even more criticism and ridicule.

If you would be willing to believe the NYPD if they had confirmed the story and said the Sussexes and Doria were in danger last night, you might want to ask why you don't want to believe the NYPD (who has absolutely no skin in this game) when they say nothing life-threatening or that dramatic occurred.

Or as other people have said, why we did not get the breaking phone videos last night for something with such severity.

We’ll probably vary in what we consider “near catastrophic”. NYPD made it clear no arrests were made, I’ll assume not even tickets were handed out even, and I’m happy to be corrected if I’m wrong.

Unless their driver was drunk and actually evading paparazzi recklessly, or the photographers were chasing them with deadly weapons instead of cameras, they were not in any sort of danger. This was repeated by police, the cabbie, Backgrid. The last time a catastrophe involving paparazzi and a royal happened, the royal’s driver was drunk. There was responsibility on the side of the Sussexes’ security and driver to deescalate these situations, stay put and call 911, or as they seem to have done, stop by a precinct. How could it have ended fatally?

The sidewalks of New York are usually quite filled with people, even at 10pm. Any vehicle being driven on the sidewalks would present a clear danger to any and all pedestrians.

I think what’s interesting, beyond other sources not corroborating the story, is that this was after a public and publicized event- a gala where Meghan was an honoree. I am very sensitive to the idea that photographers shouldn’t show up to say, school drop off or someone’s doctor appointment, but I think it’s hard to argue against photographers photographing the entrance to public gala events, something that happens to all high-profile people and that is part of the bargain.

I think photographer behavior would have to be egregious enough that law enforcement agreed it was problematic for it to warrant a statement in such circumstances.

If you would be willing to believe the NYPD if they had confirmed the story and said the Sussexes and Doria were in danger last night, you might want to ask why you don't want to believe the NYPD (who has absolutely no skin in this game) when they say nothing life-threatening or that dramatic occurred.

Or as other people have said, why we did not get the breaking phone videos last night for something with such severity.

Hence the term "near-catastrophic" as opposed to "catastrophic". No accidents occurred. But they were reckless and irresponsible, as the NYC Mayor mentioned.

Last edited:
Wow, Epic fail by The Sussex's...

It seems here in the US, the reaction ....and the whole situation.....is being viewed as a STUNT.

What happened ????? The Sussex's intention to spin it, backfired.

Now they are again being questioned, mocked...... and laughed at.

Last edited:
I'm sure there's a lot left to be told about this incident. I wonder, for example, were any Netflix videographers with them, following them, filming them?

Wow, Epic fail on The Sussex's.

It seems here in the US, the reaction ....and the whole situation.....is being viewed as a STUNT.

What happened ????? The Sussex's intention to spin it, backfired.

Now they are again being questioned, mocked...... and laughed at.

Not by the NY Mayor they’re not. He called the paps ‘reckless and irresponsible.’

I am watching my local news stations and they certainly not mocking anyone. TMZ showing footage of the various paparazzis outside the police station. CBS and CNN both did quite serious segments reading all statements (Sussexes, Mayor, Backgrid) and they seem to agree something unnerving occurred but also acknowledged an investigation is going to take place.

No one has denied whatsoever that they weren't followed and the situation was out of control. What has been questioned was the "high speed chase" which actually was never claimed to occurred. They said they were relentlessly pursed which not even the paps deny. They just are saying "it wasn't life threatening"

I think there is a lot of confirmation bias going on. There have been a lot of different stories about what happened, and the details are still coming out. If you're inclined to believe TRH The Sussexes, you'll gravitate towards stories that state that the paparazzi were more aggressive than usual. If you're disinclined, then you'll gravitate towards stories that say that TRH The Sussexes were completely exaggerating the situation.

I think there is a lot of confirmation bias going on. There have been a lot of different stories about what happened, and the details are still coming out. If you're inclined to believe TRH The Sussexes, you'll gravitate towards stories that state that the paparazzi were more aggressive than usual. If you're disinclined, then you'll gravitate towards stories that say that TRH The Sussexes were completely exaggerating the situation.

Why wouldn’t we believe the Sussexes when nothing they have said have been disputed by NYPD, taxi driver, NYC Mayor?

“I think we have to be responsible. I thought that was a bit reckless and irresponsible.”

Indeed, as you can see (or listen to) he did not “call the paps” reckless and irresponsible. It would be hard to even construe his language that way- you would have to think “that” refers to a person, not an event. In fact, he was not talking about the paparazzi directly here and I took this to mean something else entirely, which is neither here nor there.

Certainly, anyone can argue they think he meant that- but you can’t argue he said it, any more than anyone else can argue that the Sussex spokesperson “said” something a great deal of people think she meant.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 8: Apr. 2023 -

“I think we have to be responsible. I thought that was a bit reckless and irresponsible.”

Indeed, as you can see (or listen to) he did not “call the paps” reckless and irresponsible. It would be hard to even construe his language that way- you would have to think “that” refers to a person, not an event. In fact, he was not talking about the paparazzi directly here and I took this to mean something else entirely, which is neither here nor there.

Certainly, anyone can argue they think he meant that- but you can’t argue he said it, any more than anyone else can argue that the Sussex spokesperson “said” something a great deal of people think she meant.

He was definitely talking about the paps and their behavior. He spoke of Princess Diana and how she died right before he said that. Additionally, he said two of NYPD cops could have been injured and bystanders.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you work for an organisation, you do not get to pick what you like all the time. As for mental health, he was doing Heads together with William and Kate long before he got married. you also don’t get to choose your own calendar and events. He had to coordinate with palace officials because no one does these things themselves, they obviously work with qualified staff to do and plan these things properly.

It seems that what Harry never understood was that it was not about him. It was about supporting the Monarch.

With his fixation on his mother (and her accident), his hatred towards press/paparazzi, not to mention his past confession on how triggered he is by camera's flash, it's possible that he genuinely felt threatened during the this 2-hour car chase. It's "his truth", probably fueled by his paranoia too. But after Jussie Smollett and Amber Heard, it's understandable if many, particularly Americans, are sceptical about "his truth". The story of The Boy Who Cried Wolf comes to mind.

Okay well here are the facts that hopefully we can agree on:

1. Harry, Meghan & Doria were followed & photographed by paps after the “Women of Vision “ Awards in NYC.

2. There were multiple paps traveling by car, bike, scooter. Blackgrid confirmed they had 4 freelancers following them, and there may have been more from other photo agencies. There are some videos of more many more than 4 paps following them. Blackgrid also confirmed they were covering their "trip to NYC" not just the event, which seems invasive.

3. Harry and Meghan were first in a blacked out SUV, then moved to a Taxi.

4. The paps following them made their transportation "challenging" (NYPD says this) as the couple did not want to lead them to the private residence where they were staying.

5. Harry and Meghan tried to get away from the paps and lose them. It took a while but they eventually did so apparently.

6. There were no injuries or collisions.

7. There have been no arrests.

8. The NYPD & Private Security were involved in the incident. It says something that NYPD were involved, this wasn't some innocent situation that was completely safe.

The paparazzi and the Prince - Actions have consequences!

Prince Harry has been seeking the spotlight with his interviews and books and publicity actions... And now he is right there, where he started - But without the regulated circumstances like in England with the English police on his side.

So, he is like this dude in the joke, who drives the Highway and there is a driver on the wrong lane reported over the radio - and he says to himself: One? Hundreds!

The paparazzi and the Prince - Actions have consequences!

Prince Harry has been seeking the spotlight with his interviews and books and publicity actions... And now he is right there, where he started - But without the regulated circumstances like in England with the English police on his side.

So, he is like this dude in the joke, who drives the Highway and there is a driver on the wrong lane reported over the radio - and he says to himself: One? Hundreds!

This has been a constant thing with the Sussexes -- boundaries with the media and press. They would argue, we share what we want because that's our work, leave us alone with everything else. That paps/media's "professional responsibility to cover newsworthy events and public figures" has limits to its extent into a private space or private lives. Like for example, paps have a right to take photos of public figures (Harry and Meghan) as they leave a public/ work event. But once they get in their car and leave, it would be an invasion of privacy to follow them and try to locate where they are staying. I tend to agree with Harry and Meghans take.

Well, i’m sure his PR people crafted a sensible statement but Harry wasn’t satisfied. HE NEEDS HELP. Like he can’t seem to stop. He lives in constant delusion. It’s not healthy and i feel sorry for Meghan that she has to deal with this man-child.

That's a bit unfair. His PR people undoubtedly wrote the statement to reflect whatever will support improving the Sussex's images. They apparently think "victim" and "sympathy" is the way to go.

This has been repeated several times on this thread, and is not true.

The full clip of the mayor’s remarks is available online.

I saw the mayor's comments, and I think it's debatable whether he was calling the paparazzi "reckless and irresponsible" or everyone involved in the incident "reckless and irresponsible."

If the NYPD felt that it was TRH The Sussexes' own actions were responsible for what happened to them, they would outright say so, or at least equivocate that they were investigating both sides. Neither the mayor of New York nor the NYPD alluded to, let along outright stated, that there was any wrongdoing on TRH The Sussexes' part, and neither party would have any incentive to lie for them. The several videos coming out have led to arguments about the severity of the incident, but nothing has been shown that even implies that TRH The Sussexes were acting irresponsibly.

It's textbook self promotion, sorry. What better topic than a paparazzi car chase to relate to some royal drama. So boring and predictable.

What is really sad about this incident is that the Sussexes have so damaged their credibility that the majority of members here and the mainstream media, while certainly sympathetic because of Princess Diana's tragic death, are defaulting to questioning the accuracy of their version of events. Gotta give credit to whomever at BP penned the line "recollections may vary" - it really has become the defining characteristic of Brand Sussex.

What is really sad about this incident is that the Sussexes have so damaged their credibility that the majority of members here and the mainstream media, while certainly sympathetic because of Princess Diana's tragic death, are defaulting to questioning the accuracy of their version of events. Gotta give credit to whomever at BP penned the line "recollections may vary" - it really has become the defining characteristic of Brand Sussex.

Good observation, I agree.

The taxi driver's comment - "I think that's all exaggerated and stuff like that."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom