The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 8: April - August 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Daily Mail is widely known as ‘the Fail’ because it prints a lot of unreliable gossip. The report it published wasn’t and isn’t gossip.

The statement about the Sussexes and racism isn’t my opinion. It was published in the report, and I didn’t emphasise the couple when I copied that para of the report in my post. I believe the Ashcroft report focuses on the Commonwealth countries in the Caribbean with regard to beliefs about racism in the RF.

Well I also live in one of the realms and I can tell you categorically that Canada is not wishing to ditch the monarchy any time soon. There are always rumblings but it will never happen. So, this so called conservative commentator really doesn't know what he is talking about. And, no one in my circle (which is not the majority of the country by any stretch of the imagination) believe anything the Sussexes say.

I live in one of the realms too and like yours Lori138, there are always rumblings from the usual quarters, but most people here aren't yet ready to go further than that. It is a huge undertaking. Lord Ashcroft's report puts it succinctly, "the majority of people said 'in an ideal world we wouldn't have the monarchy, but there are more important things for us to deal with'."

Most people here generally agree that this country will likely become a republic at some point, but it hasn't got anything to do with King Charles, as some commentators suggest, and has everything to do with timing, security and economics, among other things. The blather that people here want to ditch the monarchy because "we don't like that nasty adulterer Charles" is just that, ridiculous blather! :flowers:

ETA: and I dispute the suggestion in the excerpt that "The Sussexes are believed over the rest of the Royal Family...", because they clearly aren't.

Last edited:
The Daily Mail is widely known as ‘the Fail’ because it prints a lot of unreliable gossip. The report it published wasn’t and isn’t gossip.

The statement about the Sussexes and racism isn’t my opinion. It was published in the report, and I didn’t emphasise the couple when I copied that para of the report in my post. I believe the Ashcroft report focuses on the Commonwealth countries in the Caribbean with regard to beliefs about racism in the RF.
I will repeat for the last time, I didn’t say or suggest in any way that the quote I highlighted was your opinion. I already stated that I didn’t say it was your opinion. The Daily Mail isn’t widely known as the “Fail” apart from on this forum and yes at times, it’s not credible. I didn’t say that the report was gossip. I highlighted the quote because it mentioned the couple and I wanted to discuss it in this thread. I also did not say that YOU emphasised the couple. I simply quoted the post that you posted from another thread.

Posted by Curryong:

I make no apologies for supporting the Sussexes. Why should I? I’ve supported Harry since his teenage years. I am entitled to support whichever royal I choose, and will continue to do so. So long as members follow the rules of the forum (and I’ve been a member here since 2014) when posting, that is acceptable I think.

Whilst I respectfully disagree with your views on Harry and Meghan, I do 100% support your right to your own point of view. It's best to look at any topic from different points to get a well-balanced picture in my opinion.

I do hope Harry can make up with his family, but i can't see that happening any time soon. Same with Meghan and her father. To me, family is everything. My sister and i will be glued to the tv set on Coronation Day and I hope to see everyone there, including Harry, on their best behaviour towards each other, with respect. And there's no way he will be seated 10 rows back IMO. He will be where he should be, as son of the King, at the front. With Princess Anne possibly seated between the brothers.:whistling:

(snip) I just find the idea that some countries in the Commonwealth (some realms) want to ditch the monarchy because of the Sussexes as quite laughable, because for a long time there have been debates on membership and on the realms long before Meghan and Harry. The sentiments would probably felt still if Harry wasn’t married to Meghan.

I agree that the issues that have led to some people in the realms wanting to ditch the monarchy have been around for decades and their decision is unlikely to have been precipitated by issues relating to Meghan and Harry. However, this movement away from a monarchy to a republic is an ongoing process which has been evolving and gathering momentum slowly, step by step, and as time passes more things happen that serve to tip the balance in favour of the big decision. I am sure that some of the incidents that have occurred since Harry met Meghan have led people to think about the issues again in a new light and reframe their views and add items to their 'pro-republic list.

I will repeat for the last time, I didn’t say or suggest in any way that the quote I highlighted was your opinion. I already stated that I didn’t say it was your opinion. The Daily Mail isn’t widely known as the “Fail” apart from on this forum and yes at times, it’s not credible. I didn’t say that the report was gossip. I highlighted the quote because it mentioned the couple and I wanted to discuss it in this thread. I also did not say that YOU emphasised the couple. I simply quoted the post that you posted from another thread.

I respectfully disagree that the Daily Mail isn’t widely known in Britain as the Fail. When I returned to England for six months after I emigrated people I know in Windsor, Norfolk, Lincolnshire and around London often referred to it as such. And before I emigrated as well.

I respectfully disagree that the Daily Mail isn’t widely known in Britain as the Fail. When I returned to England for six months after I emigrated people I know in Windsor, Norfolk, Lincolnshire and around London often referred to it as such. And before I emigrated as well.

I’ve heard it called many things. Never the Fail. The Daily Hell is my favourite. i don’t why you seem to think people need reminding that a tabloid is less than reliable. Well we all know that. Also people may have called it that but time moves on. Newspapers are also no where as big as they used to be. 20 years ago they were so huge. Even 15. In other news Harry thinks every newspaper in Britain is a tabloid apart from the Telegraph. I happen to think that newspaper is highly objectionable on the political front in how it discusses the public sector and right wing politics. The mail is just the tabloid version of the Telegraph. I object to more than how it discusses people like Harry.

In what year was The Daily Mail first referred to as The Daily Fail?

Its only called the Fail by a few people who are bieng witty. I've never heard anyone refer to it as that.

I have only ever heard of it being referred to the Fail on here, and only when discussing Meghan and Harry. And with all due respect I live here all the time. Just because a few people around a certain area at one time referred it as that does not make it widely known.

Lets move on and not divert the thread yet again.

I’m watching the American cable news program, Morning Joe, and the host Joe Scarborough referred to Harry as the “Duke of
Oprah”
??????

When is the Duke of Sussex expected to arrive in the UK for the coronation?

I’m watching the American cable news program, Morning Joe, and the host Joe Scarborough referred to Harry as the “Duke of
Oprah”
������������

?

Incidentally I watched The Windsors Coronation Special the other night (a long-running comedy sitcom based on the RF on Channel 4 here in the UK).

In one scene, "Harry" and "Meghan" are at home in Montecito collecting eggs from their chickens before asking three servants to put some plates of food by the "statue of Oprah".

It's all very much one big parody, not just of H&M but of the whole family and quite amusing IMO.

Last edited:
Last edited:
No matter what Prince Harry does there are always people against him. We do not know the circumstances behind this private jet, if he is on it, and why he took it. Could be Charles initiated it. Less public to make more comments whether false or true. It would be nice if the coronation could go on with peace for the Nations sake. JMO

Reactions: Fem
Ms Julie, the point is Harry is being a hypocrite about the environment and sustainability issues, thats what brings about the criticism and contempt.

He is great about lecturing People on this subject of climate change and environmental damage thru "fossil fuels", while The Sussex's use Private Planes like a Taxi service. Generating a GIANT carbon footprint. He has talked about "a shared responsibility to the planet and each other" in Travalyst.

Eco friendly Travalyst, says in its website..... "Is led by Prince Harry, is a global initiative with the ambition to change the impact of travel, for good".

So its kinda funny, when you think of the hypocrisy.

Last edited:
Hypocrisy with regard to private planes, helicopters instead of trains etc etc isn’t restricted to Harry. Celebrities and other members of the RF are also fond of lecturing others about the environment but also leave their carbon footprint and therefore are just as hypocritical. Or more so. And many of those live closer to London than the West Coast of the US.

If this is true and Prince Harry would be in the third row, yikes! It must be said and noted that most working royals are quite BORING and most folks dont know who the hell they are.

Yikes ! It must be said that most working royals are indeed WORKING on a daily basis for the UK and the Commonwealth and that's not because they are not glamorous enough or scandalous enough to be remotely known by the average Joe across the Pond that they are irrelevant to the British Monarchy.

Last edited:

If this is true and Prince Harry would be in the third row, yikes! It must be said and noted that most working royals are quite BORING and most folks dont know who the hell they are.

He is lucky he is not locked out and banging on the door like Queen Caroline.

As for the working royals being boring, we might like boring if it means they are loyal to the crown and serve their country with dignity. The British know who the working royals are, I can appreciate that they might not be so well known abroad.

That would make a lot of sense. Given that Harry himself decided to no longer be actively take part in the workings of the royal family but just one of the many family members of the king who don't perform royal engagements, it would make complete sense to again place him among others in that same situation (just like they did for the late queen's jubilee). I wonder whether the DoE's children will truly be given first row. They are old enough to be seated with their cousins.

That would make a lot of sense. Given that Harry himself decided to no longer be actively take part in the workings of the royal family but just one of the many family members of the king who don't perform royal engagements, it would make complete sense to again place him among others in that same situation (just like they did for the late queen's jubilee). I wonder whether the DoE's children will truly be given first row. They are old enough to be seated with their cousins.

He's THE SON of the King. One of only two of his children.

He's THE SON of the King. One of only two of his children.

If he had behaved like that by being a dedicated, dutybound working royal in service of the crown, he would have been treated as such - and he would have been accompanied by his wife. I assume that the king's middle brother will be given a comparable treatment: that of a member of the family but no longer that of a working royal. Given the recent developments within the family, this seems the best way to go about the attendance of the various family members. What that will entail exactly tomorrow remains to be seen... but some distinction between the working royals and the other family members would make sense given how they've emphasized that over the last year(s).

Last edited:
When do we think we will see Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet make their first ever public appearance at a royal event

When do we think we will see Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet make their first ever public appearance at a royal event

That will be a long time as their parents have chosen to pursue a foreign and "private" life outside the Royal House and the royal family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom