The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 6: Aug. 2021- Oct. 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you didn't quite understand the point. In a constitutional monarchy like the United Kingdom (or, for that matter, all other modern kingdoms in Europe), the Royal Family must abstain from expressing opinions on political/partisan issues, which is the case here (...)

The fact that a group of 5 people have taken it upon themselves to waive a whole country's constitutional right to abortion does not make a woman's right to bodily autonomy a political matter.

Billie Eilish spoke out about abortion rights at Glastonbury - which was a bit odd, as it's not really an issue in the UK. She's not really a campaigner either, except on vegetarianism. And we had all sorts of celebs putting their two pennorths in before the Brexit referendum and the Scottish independence referendum. I found it quite annoying - how does being a singer or an actor or a sports player give you the right to tell other people how to vote? - but my point is that it's not just Meghan.

Last edited:
He may be a British Prince. However, Harry is also a husband, a father and is residing in the US. His wife lost a baby through miscarriage before her last pregnancy an experience which is just as devastating for the father of the lost baby as it is for the mother. He is entitled to his view too.

Not to mention he also has an American daughter who will be directly affected. Frankly the more people are vocal against the overruling, the better IMHO.

She has a right to her opinion, of course.

Though I have little interest in hearing what a male British prince, of all people, thinks on the subject of the American law.

It is actually unfortunate that she is dragging Prince Harry into this debate. That puts him in a delicate position as a British prince, regardless of his personal opinions on the matter. I suppose many Americans are simply not familiar with the restrictions that apply to the Royal Family in the UK and the Commonwealth realms and, although Harry is no longer a working member of the Family and is living in another country, he is still associated with the family in people's minds.

The fact that a group of 5 people have taken it upon themselves to waive a whole country's constitutional right to abortion does not make a woman's right to bodily autonomy a political matter.

I am not weighing in on the Court's opinion, but, again, as far as I understand, there is no constitutional right to abortion in Denmark. There is a legal right to abortion on demand up to the 12th week only I think, which is regulated by law, and is therefore a political issue. And parental consent is required for minors.

I don't believe the Queen of Denmark or the Crown Princess have ever spoken publicly on changes to the abortion law that they would like to propose to the Danish Parliament (e.g. raising the term limit to 28 weeks, or scrapping parental consent for example). Those matters are left to the elected politicians.

In most countries actually, abortion is regulated by law, not by the constitution.

Last edited:
I think you didn't quite understand the point. In a constitutional monarchy like the United Kingdom (or, for that matter, all other modern kingdoms in Europe), the Royal Family is not responsible for government policy and must abstain from expressing opinions on political/partisan issues, which is the case here.

For example, it would be unthinkable and, indeed, perhaps even unconstitutional in the UK, for the Duchess of Sussex to campaiign publicly for a change in the law (as she is campaigning now for the ratification of the ERA in the US). The position most Britons would take is that, if she wanted to influence the legislative process, she should give up her royal status and stand as a candidate for member of Parliament. The Queen could, in private, express her opinion to the Prime Minister or other ministers on proposed legislation, but such opinions are always confidential and, in any case, once the government has made a decision on its legislative agenda, the Queen must accept it, except for most extreme circumstances. The last monarch for example to veto a legislative bill in Britain was Queen Anne in 1708 and, even then, she did so on the advice of her ministers, and not on her personal decision.

My take in this case, however, is that the Meghan is acting not as the Duchess of Sussex and a representative of the British Crown, but rather as the US citizen Rachel Meghan Markle, which is a legitimate constitutional right that she enjoys in the United States. That would become clearer though if she stopped using her British royal title in the US and did her lobbying activities under her "civilian" name. In my opinion, that would be the right thing to do to eliminate any controversy.

In any case, what that signals to me is that Meghan is "burning bridges" and making any comeback to royal life in the UK an even more remote possibility than it already was.

Thank you, I do understand the point. I guess, my point is, that part of the topic I just won't be commenting on. I already know what royals aren't supposed to do but this for me, this issue extends beyond that. And because I have those thoughts, it's a conversation I'd watch and take in people's views but I don't have anything personal to say on the matter. (Even though I sort of just did lol, I'm not going to respond to people who's talking about strictly that.)

But if someone gave their thoughts on the actual interview or just what is happening in the USA since the interview is related to that, that's where I'd most likely speak up and possibly add in my two cents.

Royals aren't supposed to comment on political issues. Abortion isn't really a political issue in the UK in that there's no partisan divide on it - individual politicians may oppose it, for religious or personal reasons, but every political party officially supports the right to abortion under the conditions set down by law. The same applies to other social issues such as divorce and same sex marriage - every party officially supports them, even if individual politicians may not.

It's a very contentious topic in the US, and for that reason it wouldn't be considered appropriate for a member of the British Royal Family to speak out about it. I take the point that Meghan's doing this in her position as an American citizen, but it's a very grey area.

I suppose even what is and isn't political is a grey area, because issues such as environmental protection require legislation. But I think the difference is that abortion in the US is a much more partisan issue than any social issues are in the UK.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 6: August 2021-

Not to mention he also has an American daughter who will be directly affected. Frankly the more people are vocal against the overruling, the better IMHO.

They live in California. The ruling doesn’t matter there. It’s a liberal state. Abortion is allowed. Considering where they live and their financial means- it’s difficult for me to think of people less directly affected by this ruling.

The ruling has remanded this issue to the states. Change- for the foreseeable future- will have to come on a state by state basis. Their state isn’t impacted.

For some people in the US - abortion is a religious/moral issue that is fairly partisan divided. I frankly don’t think the opinion of rich celebrities in California- and in this case including a foreign Prince- is likely to change how people, in say Texas, vote for the governor this year. And he is up for re- election. But that’s just my thoughts living in a state that is over all conservative, but more liberal in the urban areas.

Have I got this right? Apologies if this is going off topic - just want to make sure that I've got it straight in my head.

In England Scotland and Wales, the right to abortion, free of charge, is guaranteed by an Act of Parliament. The vast majority of people support this, although a small number of people who oppose it mainly for religious reasons.

In the US, the Roe vs Wade ruling was that there was a right to abortion under the 14th Amendment. However, the 14th Amendment was passed in order to guarantee civil rights for former slaves, and doesn't mention abortion as that was not an issue in the 1860s. So whether or not civil rights/the right to privacy extend to modern day civil rights such as abortion and same sex marriage is for the Supreme Court to decide, and it's changed its mind as the previous president stacked it with conservatives. It's therefore now an issue for individual states, and conservative states such as Mississippi have banned abortion.

A federal law can't be passed by Congress because it would need a 60/40 majority in the Senate, and there are more than 40 Republicans and they would probably all vote against it.

Is that right? Or, if I'm wrong, where am I going wrong?

They live in California. The ruling doesn’t matter there. It’s a liberal state. Abortion is allowed. Considering where they live and their financial means- it’s difficult for me to think of people less directly affected by this ruling.

The ruling has remanded this issue to the states. Change- for the foreseeable future- will have to come on a state by state basis. Their state isn’t impacted.

For some people in the US - abortion is a religious/moral issue that is fairly partisan divided. I frankly don’t think the opinion of rich celebrities in California- and in this case including a foreign Prince- is likely to change how people, in say Texas, vote for the governor this year. And he is up for re- election. But that’s just my thoughts living in a state that is over all conservative, but more liberal in the urban areas.

I agree Meghan's opinion won't make a difference in Texas and I STRONGLY agree with those who argue that as a member of the BRF she should either drop her title or keep quiet on this issue. But I also think it's important that the rest of us speak out on issues that don't directly affect us to show our support for those who are. Silence won't bring change. Following your logic we should all remain silent on the Taliban's treatment of women because it doesn't affect us and it won't change the political landscape in Afghanistan.

I agree Meghan's opinion won't make a difference in Texas and I STRONGLY agree with those who argue that as a member of the BRF she should either drop her title or keep quiet on this issue. But I also think it's important that the rest of us speak out on issues that don't directly affect us to show our support for those who are. Silence won't bring change. Following your logic we should all remain silent on the Taliban's treatment of women because it doesn't affect us and it won't change the political landscape in Afghanistan.

Fair point there. I wasn’t trying to argue that people should only speak out on issues that directly affect them.

My intent was to address the issues that:

it was mentioned the Sussexes are directly impacted by Roe. Not really from my perspective.

And second- that they were unlikely to change other state’s policy based on their opinion.

And I do agree on the title issue too.

On another note briefing from Prince Charles today talked about how wonderful it is to have the Sussexes at the Jubilee and how delighted he was to meet Lilibet. Seems to be the way they are playing it now. Publically be effusive about them and hopefully life will just toddle on. The Sussexes take offense easily so best to avoid.

Royals commenting on political matters is a moot point. This year alone we have seen active and working members of the BRF- condemn Russia for the war in the Ukraine, the January 6th riots in the US Capitol Building, and the immigration policy that sends asylum seekers to Rwanda.

If active and working members of the RF can comment on political issues, how much more so should Harry and Meghan who are not active and working members of the RF and who live in the country where these laws govern.

Oh and for whoever said that this law doesn't apply to the couple as they live in California has missed the point completely. Imagine being restricted on where you can live in a country because it determines your access to care.

As an American women's health care provider, I am appalled, worried, frightened, and fearful of the effect this will have on women across the country.

Royals commenting on political matters is a moot point. This year alone we have seen active and working members of the BRF- condemn Russia for the war in the Ukraine, the January 6th riots in the US Capitol Building, and the immigration policy that sends asylum seekers to Rwanda.

The point here is not so much "commenting on political matters", but rather actively campaigning/lobbying for a change in the law , or trying to influence the legislative process in a very specific way , rather than merely advocating general or abstract principles. I am referring here not to the abortion issue, but Meghan campaigning for the ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment for example.

Although I agree with some of the British posters here that there is a "gray area", I don't think that becoming an advocate for a particular piece of concrete legislation (as opposed to advocating general principles like "protecting the environment") would be acceptable for a royal in the UK. But, as I said before, I don't see any reason why Meghan should be prevented from doing that in the United States as a U.S. citizen. I just think she should not mix it with her royal status and do her lobbying under the name "Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex".

Harry and Meghan are not royal. And as such should not be viewed in the same context. It would be beyond inappropriate for a member of the BRF to comment on abortion in any country. Condemning a war in general terms is vastly different. But Harry and Meghan can say and comment on what they like. In fact in the UK press no one seems to care what she said. Post jubilee and the master class of that there seems to be a lack of interest in them. In fact the only think the media are interested in is the buried bullying report. In fact one newspaper today published an article entitled: It’s time to stop banging on about Meghan. It’s time to stop on all sides. It unimportant on all sides what she said.

Should they speak about it, as in are they qualified to be listened too, that is everyone’s own opinion. And it’s for the American people to decide on that because she is an American resident commenting on an American issue. But people have platforms because they are listened to. Will she continue to be listened to? I doubt it as she is essentially a bit of a dilettante and has no real qualifications or affiliations to discuss these things. I mean given the calibre of the other women in that piece. It’s a bit embarrassing. Should it stop her doing and saying what she wants as long as people listen? Probably not.

Last edited:
But people have platforms because they are listened to. Will she continue to be listened to?

Billie Eilish spoke about abortion rights at Glastonbury, and Coco Gauff spoke about abortion rights at Wimbledon. People listen to them because they're famous. I haven't got a problem with that, because they're expressing their views. I object to celebs telling me which way I should vote in a referendum or which political party I should vote for in an election, but that's not what's happening here. I haven't got a problem with Meghan Markle the actress expressing her views on any issue, but I'm a bit uneasy with the Duchess of Sussex expressing her views on what is a partisan political issue in the US.

Two direct descendants of King George III attending a 4th of July parade is curious to say the least !

And holding the Stars and Stripes! Although at least Archie isn't flaunting obnoxious 4th of July spirit wear.

The discussions have already begun and I honestly do not understand why he thinks this is smart choice to make. I have seen that according to Harry, he has stated that certain members of the royal household are part of those on the board of the security issues and they are the cause of Harry not getting his security. Regardless of whether those alleged members are on the board, I highly doubt that the decision made by them would be different or favorable to Harry in any way if they weren’t there.

This is all a huge mistake I feel. Let it lie Harry and move on. You will have protection when you stay at Windsor. It’s fine. What do you want? Government paid security for a couple of days a year. If that. Harry has made no attempt to visit his family or friends just because. He is unlikely to come back much. He would, in all likelihood, lost permanent protection as he grew older anyway. Known of his aunts and uncles have it.

Last edited:
The discussions have already begun and I honestly do not understand why he thinks this is smart choice to make. I have seen that according to Harry, he has stated that certain members of the royal household are part of those on the board of the security issues and they are the cause of Harry not getting his security. Regardless of whether those alleged members are on the board, I highly doubt that the decision made by them would be different or favorable to Harry in any way if they weren’t there.

He thinks everyone is guided by emotions and whims like he is. I think it’s beyond him to contemplate people just act in a professional manner. It’s all personal with him.

He thinks everyone is guided by emotions and whims like he is. I think it’s beyond him to contemplate people just act in a professional manner. It’s all personal with him.
Those lawyers will enjoy those hefty legal fees is all I will say because it’s getting ridiculous at this point. He has an overly important sense of self and he’s made it hard for people to take him seriously.

This is all a huge mistake I feel. Let it lie Harry and move on. You will have protection when you stay at Windsor. It’s fine. What do you want? Government paid security for a couple of days a year. If that. Harry has made no attempt to visit his family or friends just because. He is unlikely to come back much. He would, in all likelihood, lost permanent protection as he grew older anyway. Known of his aunts and uncles have it.
It mostly definitely is the most stupid legal fight of all the ones he’s made so far. He’s not only the suing the government, but he’s also the mail on Sunday or daily mail for the headline of “give me back my bodyguards”. He just takes things for granted and always expects someone to bail him out his sticky situations.

Those lawyers will enjoy those hefty legal fees is all I will say because it’s getting ridiculous at this point. He has an overly important sense of self and he’s made it hard for people to take him seriously.

It is what it is. I find it very sad but the world has bigger problems and Harry is wealthy and can live off being royal for years. He had a traumatic childhood in many ways, Diana’s death being just the tip, and he hasn’t managed to mature past that. Fire and brimstone.

It mostly definitely is the most stupid legal fight of all the ones he’s made so far. He’s not only the suing the government, but he’s also the mail on Sunday or daily mail for the headline of “give me back my bodyguards”. He just takes things for granted and always expects someone to bail him out his sticky situations.

What other life experience has he got. It was always the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is what it is. I find it very sad but the world has bigger problems and Harry is wealthy and can live off being royal for years. He had a traumatic childhood in many ways, Diana’s death being just the tip, and he hasn’t managed to mature past that. Fire and brimstone.
This person is a grown adult almost pushing 40 years old with two kids and he’s lucky to have a trust fund. All I will say is that let him take as much rope as he can till he sees sense at some point. Obviously it’s not easy to lose a parent, but I feel like he sometimes uses Diana as a crutch for his bad behavior, people have mostly given him a pass because of it, but now he’s gone too far.

What other life experience has he got. It was always the way.
It is quite sad, but ah well, life goes on and sooner or later, the inevitable will happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two direct descendants of King George III attending a 4th of July parade is curious to say the least !

George III has a number of American descendants so this probably isn't a first. But I suspect Harry holds the distinction of being the first HRH to do so and as you say it is very curious.

George III has a number of American descendants so this probably isn't a first. But I suspect Harry holds the distinction of being the first HRH to do so and as you say it is very curious.

Yes, but Archie and lLilibet must be the only ones who are also closely related to a current British sovereign.

Yes, but Archie and lLilibet must be the only ones who are also closely related to a current British sovereign.

Yes, you are correct. That's what I meant when I said Harry probably holds the distinction of being the first HRH to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom