The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 10: August 2024 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No one owes her an apology! She loses staff for a reason and the reason is her insistence that things be done HER way.
@Emmily You know I was just being sarcastic? ;)
The whole line of having her underling run to her and apologize for what was her own doing was my closing joke/commentary. I do agree with you 100%!

I am a bit confused now, it does not take much I know, so she can still sell products under the name, American Riviera Orchard but she cannot trade mark it.....So why can she not just go ahead and sell the products or do they have to be made in the area or the fruit grown there, or could she just use abbreviations and call the business ARO>
The way I was reading things she couldn't use the name at all.
As I undertsand it, she can still products under the ARO name, but then so can Walmart and Temu and whoever else would like to. She would not be able to protect r the curate the brand they way she may like to.

@Emmily You know I was just being sarcastic? ;)
The whole line of having her underling run to her and apologize for what was her own doing was my closing joke/commentary. I do agree with you 100%!
Ok, my apology then! I misunderstood your comment, Toledo.

As I undertsand it, she can still products under the ARO name, but then so can Walmart and Temu and whoever else would like to. She would not be able to protect r the curate the brand they way she may like to.
She / ARO would have to sign an agreement before those stores/ sites could sell the products.

Others can produce their own products with the same name, that look like hers, but are of inferior quality.. i imagine that will be a problem if she really wants to make money of her brand

I think that would go into counterfeit territory or lawsuit for unauthorized use. Personally I don’t think any legitimate big name store would open that can of worms.

I am not a lawyer so I am going to bow out of this conversation now.

I wonder about the accuracy of the report regarding the use of place names. Visit Santa Barbara, the tourism board for the area, has already trademarked "The American Riviera," as shown by the ® in their marketing material. (Their logo shows it at the bottom of this page: Santa Barbara, CA | Hotels, Restaurants, Events & Activities)

Other companies use place descriptors in their trademarked names all the time. Many companies have name like "Empire State Movers" or "Gold Coast Realty" or "Inland Empire Ford." (I'm making those up, but I'd bet something similar actually exists!)

I don't know about US law, but there's a big difference in British law between a registered company name and a trademark. You can register a company under pretty much any name, unless it's the exact name of an existing company, offensive, or comes under certain restricted categories (e.g. you have to get permission to use medical terms such as pharmacy, dentist or optician). A trademark is a logo/symbol/short word or phrase, which no-one else can use.

You could register a company as American Riviera Orchard, but there'd be nothing to stop someone else registering a company called American Riviera Orchard (Scotland), or American Riviera Orchard (Jam) or American Riviera Orchard (South West). But you wouldn't be able to trademark it.

Yes I suspect there is nothing to stop her going ahead without the trademark but it just opens the brand up to copycats and supermarket knock offs. You only have to look here in the UK at how often discount supermarket Aldi put out near perfect cheaper copies of major brand's items to see how damaging it can be - especially when you are creating a brand like American Riviera Orchard seems to be - niche, luxury, reassuringly expensive etc.
This is where Meghan's prominence becomes a bit of an issue - most retailers wouldn't be fussed about copying a new low scale brand but Meghan's fame brings it much more attention making it more worthwhile to do so, even more concerningly at a time when ARO hasn't had time to build up a loyal customer base.

I wonder about the accuracy of the report regarding the use of place names. Visit Santa Barbara, the tourism board for the area, has already trademarked "The American Riviera," as shown by the ® in their marketing material. (Their logo shows it at the bottom of this page: Santa Barbara, CA | Hotels, Restaurants, Events & Activities)

Other companies use place descriptors in their trademarked names all the time. Many companies have name like "Empire State Movers" or "Gold Coast Realty" or "Inland Empire Ford." (I'm making those up, but I'd bet something similar actually exists!)
@kalnel Thanks for that find! 🏆

Did you noticed the secondary pages on your link not only take us to the Montecito subpage but even directly to Meghan and Harry mentioned by name and then linked to another subpage called Montecito for Royalty! The page also uses one of their old pictures:

...Starting in the 1880s, movers and shakers from around the world vacationed in Santa Barbara. The fantastic climate hooked more than a few, and they decided to plant some roots. Today, Montecito harbors many a celeb, from Oprah Winfrey and Julia Louis-Dreyfus to Prince Harry and Megan Markle. However, celebrity isn’t celebrated as much as it’s merely sensed, and famous residents and regular townsfolk shop, dine, and hobnob together on Coast Village Road and the Upper Village. When cruising Montecito’s social and retail districts or tree-shaded lanes, do what the locals do: hang out on a sunny restaurant patio, read the paper, and don’t make a fuss if you see a famous face...

When you go to the subpage that has their old picture you get this:

The royals have officially landed! The Santa Barbara South Coast, Montecito specifically, was crowned the location of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s new home. Joining the ranks of Hollywood royalty who call Santa Barbara home (or second home), among their esteemed new neighbors are some of the biggest names in show business. Think Oprah Winfrey, Jeff Bridges, Julia Louis Dreyfus, Brad Pitt, Rob Lowe, Gwyneth Paltrow, and many more actors, filmmakers and TV producers.
Now here's what bothers me a bit, considering the big fuzz Harry and Meghan make about security in the UK, persecution from paparazzies, and the 'I'm the victim in every situation' storyline, how did they allow the group behind the website to advertise them, picture and all, and their location?

How did we miss this piece of the look-at-me puzzle? The answer seems to be located on that last page listed on the top banner to the right side called Members that states Montecito is a place for celebrities doing business, I bolded the core of the message to see it without the flowery new age wording used for bait:

Whether you represent a lodging property, attraction, restaurant, retail shop or visitor service, being a member of Visit Santa Barbara unlocks opportunities for increased business. Your membership provides a distinctive chance to synergize with other businesses in the Santa Barbara South Coast, amplifying your influence and expanding your reach into broader markets.

All this time I had the impression Montecito was a very private community they selected to be away from what they ran from in the UK. Now, this website that uses them for promotion makes the picture a bit clearer to us, it's just a business networking club passing for a town.

That does solve a problem for Meghan, maybe she can install that factory on her grounds to produce physical products as long as the bus full of staffers don't stare at Oprah mowing her lawn on the way to the American Riviera Orchard factory. :cool:

She can go forward using the name American Riviera Orchard and sell her products under that name. She just can't trademark it. I am sure her attorneys knew it would be a stretch but why not try.
i am really not sure how one would pour their heart and soul in a business that sells products, do a logo, build a social media following, etc... only to not trademark their chosen name - and have anyone and their dog producing products that look similar. it seems like a page out of 'business 101' to me. they are clearly not getting sufficient advice, or are not diligent in seeking it, or, even worse, seek it then ignore it thinking they know best. this isn't the first time something flops for H&M so we are getting used to their unprofessional/careless way of doing things.

I think Muriel's point was that if she doesn't have the trademark. Any shop could start their own product line using the exact same name and there is nothing she can do against it.
I think this happened almost as soon as she "launched" ARO, didn't it? I recall someone immediately created a shopfront on one of the socials (Instagram?) and started selling ARO-branded something or other.

I think this happened almost as soon as she "launched" ARO, didn't it? I recall someone immediately created a shopfront on one of the socials (Instagram?) and started selling ARO-branded something or other.

It was a store on Shopify, which is still open, and has some rather strange content :)

@kalnel Thanks for that find! 🏆

Did you noticed the secondary pages on your link not only take us to the Montecito subpage but even directly to Meghan and Harry mentioned by name and then linked to another subpage called Montecito for Royalty! The page also uses one of their old pictures:

...Starting in the 1880s, movers and shakers from around the world vacationed in Santa Barbara. The fantastic climate hooked more than a few, and they decided to plant some roots. Today, Montecito harbors many a celeb, from Oprah Winfrey and Julia Louis-Dreyfus to Prince Harry and Megan Markle. However, celebrity isn’t celebrated as much as it’s merely sensed, and famous residents and regular townsfolk shop, dine, and hobnob together on Coast Village Road and the Upper Village. When cruising Montecito’s social and retail districts or tree-shaded lanes, do what the locals do: hang out on a sunny restaurant patio, read the paper, and don’t make a fuss if you see a famous face...

When you go to the subpage that has their old picture you get this:

The royals have officially landed! The Santa Barbara South Coast, Montecito specifically, was crowned the location of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s new home. Joining the ranks of Hollywood royalty who call Santa Barbara home (or second home), among their esteemed new neighbors are some of the biggest names in show business. Think Oprah Winfrey, Jeff Bridges, Julia Louis Dreyfus, Brad Pitt, Rob Lowe, Gwyneth Paltrow, and many more actors, filmmakers and TV producers.
Now here's what bothers me a bit, considering the big fuzz Harry and Meghan make about security in the UK, persecution from paparazzies, and the 'I'm the victim in every situation' storyline, how did they allow the group behind the website to advertise them, picture and all, and their location?

How did we miss this piece of the look-at-me puzzle? The answer seems to be located on that last page listed on the top banner to the right side called Members that states Montecito is a place for celebrities doing business, I bolded the core of the message to see it without the flowery new age wording used for bait:

Whether you represent a lodging property, attraction, restaurant, retail shop or visitor service, being a member of Visit Santa Barbara unlocks opportunities for increased business. Your membership provides a distinctive chance to synergize with other businesses in the Santa Barbara South Coast, amplifying your influence and expanding your reach into broader markets.

All this time I had the impression Montecito was a very private community they selected to be away from what they ran from in the UK. Now, this website that uses them for promotion makes the picture a bit clearer to us, it's just a business networking club passing for a town.

That does solve a problem for Meghan, maybe she can install that factory on her grounds to produce physical products as long as the bus full of staffers don't stare at Oprah mowing her lawn on the way to the American Riviera Orchard factory. :cool:
I hadn't noticed it, but it made laugh -- they have Meghan's name spelled wrong in the link. And, in the section about the polo club in Montecito, they mention that William and Kate were there in 2011. I guess Harry is doomed to a life of second place, even in Montecito!

It's also interesting to note that Montecito has its own charity, Direct Relief, a "humanitarian aid organization that’s active in all 50 states and more than 80 countries, with a mission to improve the health and lives of people affected by poverty or emergencies."

Sort of makes Archewell redundant...

As far as the use of their photos and mention of their names, they are public figures, so that's how it goes.

Prince Harry and Matt Damon set to address this year's Clinton Global Initiative annual meeting

Harry is set to address the Clinton conference in New York later this month.

Prince Harry, actor Matt Damon, and World Central Kitchen founder Jose Andres are set to speak at the 2024 Clinton Global Initiative annual meeting in New York on Sept. 23 and 24, the Clinton Foundation announced Thursday
Now THIS is impressive:
“Water.org co-founder and Oscar winner Damon is expected to discuss the status of the $1 billion plan he announced in 2022 to give 100 million people in Africa, Asia and Latin America lasting access to water and sanitation.”

Looks like Harry is getting a few speaking gigs for organizations that want high profile names as speakers. He is going to speak about two Archewell initiatives. So, at least his name is ensuring attention, hopefully those initiatives truly materialize and have the intended positive impact.

The Clinton Global Initiative yearly confabs during UN week are about "convening." Matching up generous donors and patrons with causes deemed worthy by the Clinton apparatus. It's a good theme, but in the past had some questionable participants. Let's hope for Harry's sake there is good screening of donors.

Prince Andrew did this kind of thing on a smaller scale with Pitch at Palace. He had success there for a while.

Last edited:
Looks like Harry is getting a few speaking gigs for organizations that want high profile names as speakers. He is going to speak about two Archewell initiatives. So, at least his name is ensuring attention, hopefully those initiatives truly materialize and have the intended positive impact.

Let's hope we see results beyond the words, so far seems all we get are key phrases out of a modern social media dictionary like hope, empowerment and representation. I'm still waiting to see something more independent coming out of them.

Last edited:
Matt Damon has been successfully raising money since 2008 through:
Matt Damon: Co-founder | Water.org
In 2008, during an annual Clinton Global Initiative meeting in New York, Matt met Gary White, an engineer from Kansas City who had gained an international reputation as a water and sanitation expert. Realizing the global impact they could have together, Matt and Gary's organizations came together to create Water.org in 2009. They have an amazing historical track record of actually providing water and sanitation. They've now reached more than 68 million people, 9.7 million in the past year alone.

World Central Kitchen In 2010, Chef José Andrés, ready to use his culinary knowledge and talent to help, headed to Haiti following a devastating earthquake. Cooking alongside displaced families in a camp, he was guided on the proper way to cook black beans the way Haitians like to eat them: mashed and sieved into a creamy sauce. It wasn’t just about feeding people in need—it was about listening, learning, and cooking side by side with the people impacted by the crisis. This is the real meaning of comfort food, and it’s the core value that José, along with his wife Patricia, used at the center of founding World Central Kitchen. WCK goes all over the world, currently they lost several workers in Gaza due to the bombing.

These are serious people successfully committed to supporting people at risk throughout the world. Prince Harry is now being grouped with the global heavy hitters which from what we have seen so far they are not...yet. Let's hope he is successful in getting some programs off the ground.

The Clinton Global Initiative is
more than a conference — it’s a catalyst for change. "Since 2005, we’ve helped set the annual international development agenda and have proven that the biggest global challenges can be solved through community, collaboration."

WCK and chef Jose Andres is already well known to Harry and Meghan. They donated to World Central Kitchens in both the Ukraine and Haiti. Meghan contributed a cake recipe to that organisation’s official cookbook. So they don’t need any introduction.
Andrés has also teamed up since 2020 with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex through his World Central Kitchen project, which provides food relief in crisis zones around the world, including building a community relief centre in India during the Covid crisis.

World Central Kitchen (WCK) previously described its work with their Archewell non-profit foundation as an 'ongoing philanthropic partnership'. Archewell also highlighted their 'shared mission to support 'more compassionate, strong and healthy communities'.

So glad to hear Harry and Meghan and Archewell have partnered with WCK. Chef José Andrés is a well known, amazing hands on philanthropist. The Sussexes can learn a lot from WCK.

It shows with water.org and WCK , both established over a number of years, that these organisations do not spring up and become successful overnight, there is a great deal of time, work, effort and of course fund raising goes in to the process.

So glad to hear Harry and Meghan and Archewell have partnered with WCK. Chef José Andrés is a well known, amazing hands on philanthropist. The Sussexes can learn a lot from WCK.
Where are you reading that they are 'partnering' with WCK? My understanding that they just happen to be featured at the same event. I don't read anything about partnering.

According to the article, they do intend to work with the WHO (and others) in the area of 'ending violence against children'; it will be interesting to see in what shape or form that will be.

Where are you reading that they are 'partnering' with WCK? My understanding that they just happen to be featured at the same event. I don't read anything about partnering.

According to the article, they do intend to work with the WHO (and others) in the area of 'ending violence against children'; it will be interesting to see in what shape or form that will be.

From what we have seen so far, the shape or form that will be their contribution is always photo ops, collaborations in the sense someone else's group does the work while the Sussex pose for the reporters. It seems all advertising a brand related to non-profit charities to divert that attention received into the brand they are working on to produce personal revenue for their very expensive lifestyle.

Meanwhile back in Colombia...
The effect of that visit is causing ripples on the elected government still:

Harry and Meghan Markle's trip cost the Colombian government 53,298 euros
Excerpt

"...The data has been made public after the request to the Government of María Fernanda Cabal, opposition senator and opponent of the current Vice President Francia Márquez, to know the public expenses related to the visit of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. After knowing the figures of the cost of that trip, Cabal has published and denounced them on her X account, under the hashtag Derroche Real: "It turned out that since Francia Márquez was fascinated by a Netflix series with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, she brought them to Colombia at the expense of taxpayers..."

The numbers above seem lower than the original numbers we found online from another politician but here's the breakdown

Translated from Spanish by Google:
"# DerrocheReal In these tables, Francia Márquez's team shows the expenses they made with the Colombians' money during the Dukes' 7-day visit to Colombia.
Total daily expenses equivalent to $34,892,186, for a total of $244,245,305."

Note: Derroche Real means Royal Squandering

In summary, it all started with a Vice President so enthusiastic with a TV series she invited the stars over, on a quasi-royal tour, and sent the tab with the bill to be covered by public funds. At this point I won't be surprised if her opponents ask for her Netflix account to be shut down before the new season of shows starts in September. :unsure::sneaky:

Last edited:

I don't know if partnering is the right word but Harry and Meghan / Archewell have been working with Jose Andrés / World Central Kitchen for a few years. IMO it has been one of their worthier endeavors.

ETA:

Back
Top Bottom