The Duchess of Sussex's Maternity Fashion: October 2018 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This Oscar de la Renta gown is just beautiful. It really suits Meghan. I love the design and fabric but I hope we aren't back to blacks and other dark colours again now it's Australia.

More about tonight's gown.

http://madaboutmeghan.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
Now that total look is SERIOUSLY gorgeous. Nice to see her hair smooth and neat without bits hanging out.

The black and white Oscar de la Renta dress seems to be to be a serious flashback to the 50s era when gowns really had a romantic flair to them. I, though, have always loved tea length gowns more so than floor length. Just something about how they look in motion and highlight a woman's ankles. :D

I'm still a little iffy on the overskirt part being a different length. For some reason, that kind of throws the dress off balance for me.

ETA: Then again, looking at better quality pictures, the overskirt does direct the eye to the ankles which just happen to have the perfect shoes attached.

I'm going to call this the "free flight" dress. whole lot of birds. ?

Last edited:
This dress looks very much like the ones my sister and her friends wore in the late 50’s- always organza or nylon netting, always full-skirted, always strapless. All Meghan needs is a wrist corsage! She looks lovely.

Another wonderful dress ! By the way they'll have to hire another plane for all the fluffy toys they are given

That is an exquisite dress, and it looks magical on her. It looks like something Audrey Hepburn would wear!

The green/white stripe dress was lovely, and looked comfortable to wear. At first I thought it was black, but I was relieved to see close-up pictures and others with better light that showed dark green (thankfully). Love that the shoes match the green in the dress. Loveeee Meghan in a neat ponytail, she looks polished.

The bright blue dress afterwards has a very similar style to that of the green/white stripe dress. But that color is to die for, and she looks radiant in it. The shoes are a lovely addition and I like their design (at least they are different from her other shoes).

OH MY!!!! What beautiful gown that is!!! Huge clap for the designer! It looks absolutely stunning on Meghan, and its been a while since I saw a princessy-romantic gown. Very well done. Her hair looks nice and neat. She must love those shoes, not sure about comfortable, perhaps they are.

Last edited:
That´s gorgeous. They took inspiration from Alexander McQueen, the Peacock dress and it´s slightly less artisticly done, but it´s also more wearable.

Starting from 7:16

I'm torn on the Oscar de la Renta. I like the tulle and I like the contrast. I just hate birds, and this dress has a lot of them.:eek:

I don't think any of the outfits she has worn to date are "maternity" clothes. I think they are just regular clothes that are cut fuller in the bust and waist to allow for the changes. This seems to be a trend among a lot of high profile women these days. Kate and Amal Clooney are two that come to mind. They wore more non-maternity labels during their pregnancies than they did maternity labels. I seem to remember after one of Kate's pregnancies she wore more true maternity clothes (from labels that are strictly maternity clothes) after the baby was born than she did before. Personally, I don't understand this as it seems that clothes designed for a pregnant body would be a whole lot more comfortable than regular clothes cut big. Of course, I have never been pregnant so maybe I am missing something.
This all comes down to your clothing allowance! For the average pregnant woman, and yes we all know how women carry differently...there is a small time period, with the first baby, a month or two, where the baby hasn’t yet moved up and you can’t feel it but you look a little “fat”. Imagine the day after thanksgiving. We mere mortals make do with elastic waistband and looser tops. If you have unlimited money to spend, you could buy a whole “potbelly ish” wardrobe for this period, before you buy a whole full on maternity wardrobe, or make them or borrow them. By the end of the pregnancy most women are so sick of their maternity clothes

This gorgeous gown with the bird motif is just stunning on her. Her hair looked beautiful but I wish the style could have no obscured the bodice as much.

This all comes down to your clothing allowance! For the average pregnant woman, and yes we all know how women carry differently...there is a small time period, with the first baby, a month or two, where the baby hasn’t yet moved up and you can’t feel it but you look a little “fat”. Imagine the day after thanksgiving. We mere mortals make do with elastic waistband and looser tops. If you have unlimited money to spend, you could buy a whole “potbelly ish” wardrobe for this period, before you buy a whole full on maternity wardrobe, or make them or borrow them. By the end of the pregnancy most women are so sick of their maternity clothes

This gorgeous gown with the bird motif is just stunning on her. Her hair looked beautiful but I wish the style could have no obscured the bodice as much.

We also have to consider that a lot of these non-maternity label clothing have made adjustments to accommodate. However, that's not treatment that average women have. I mean, how many of us can go to Theia and ask them to be in an extra seam?:lol:

Bit late today but I absolutely loved the blue shoes <3 and the oscar de la renta dress. The shape of the striped dress was also very adorable but I didnt like the green of the stripes.
And I absolutey hated the ponytail. I love curls and waves and easy updos but can't stand sleek hairdos.

love the dress! my favorite so far together with the red one! She looks stunning!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DqY4EiSXQAAr0vu.jpg:large

IMHO this blue dress with the ponytail is Meghan's best "casual" day engagement outfit of all time. The color and shape are very flattering to her.

As for the OdLR gown, I love the look but I wonder if it was meant to be worn by a taller woman?

No...it's the 50's style. It fits her correctly.

LaRae

The dress is totally inadequate, by the act, by the price, by the body type of Meghan and for any princess in general or duchess.
It is transparent until the end of the legs.
It's just what someone who does not know about royalty, would think that this is a princess. It is very tacky. The worst I've ever seen him ... and I've seen horrible things.

That is an exquisite dress, and it looks magical on her. It looks like something Audrey Hepburn would wear!

Totally my first thought! And those heels are perfect with it. Just stunning.

OK. For me this is weird. I've never seen the movie "Rear Window" and I've seen very little fashion that was worn by Princess Grace of Monaco but for some reason, Meghan's Oscar de la Renta black and white dress sent me on a quest to find what it reminded me of. The person that first came to mind was Grace Kelly so I started there.

This is the dress Meghan's reminded me of in a way.

https://www.etsy.com/se-en/listing/257612785/plus-size-1950s-grace-kelly-dress-from?ref=related-1

Yes...definately Princess Grace/Audrey Hepburn type of dress (the OdLR).

LaRae

For me, her fashion since she left Australia has been absolutely perfection. Everything sh has worn has been lovely, even with some fit issues that IMO can't be helped with her body changing day to day on tour. I hope it continues now that she back in OZ. Hope we continue to see color too!

But that Oscar DL Renta? Otherworldly! Contrary to some saying it should be for a taller woman, I completely disagree. This length adds to the drama and romance on Meghan and its fits her lovely curves so well giving her more of a waist. Those shoes, among my faves of all her fashion choices, are the perfect fit and I am glad she is getting so much wear out of them. Can't wait to get my hands on a pair someday lol.

What really helps so much of what Meghan wears is her lovely posture. Her, Maxima, and Letizia just have such strong stances and it makes them look regal and royal.

As the tour has progressed, IMO Meghan has really shown a lot of grown fashion wise and comportment wise.

But that Oscar DL Renta? Otherworldly! Contrary to some saying it should be for a taller woman, I completely disagree. This length adds to the drama and romance on Meghan and its fits her lovely curves so well giving her more of a waist. Those shoes, among my faves of all her fashion choices, are the perfect fit and I am glad she is getting so much wear out of them. Can't wait to get my hands on a pair someday lol.

I agree about the length. Especially given that they are tulle at the end. It would've been too light on someone taller. Like you said, the length and contrast added drama and romance. I just wish it was something other than birds, but that's a personal issue.:lol:

Stunning dress. Just wow.

Back
Top Bottom