The Duchess of Sussex's Maternity Fashion: October 2018 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She looks beautiful in the white gown. Her bump has really popped.

However, both the red and the white dresses are too tight, so clearly her little one is growing faster than anticipated, and I am hoping so much that her clothes for the last week of the tour are more forgiving than these last few efforts have been. It has to be stressful for Meghan wondering every time she gets dressed if the selected outfit is going to fit........

She is going to be one of those ladies that gains weight all over not just in her stomach. If she were just gaining in her stomach she'd likely be able to wear her regular clothing for awhile.

LaRae

Meghan couldn't have known how fast she would start to show. Her clothes are tight not her fault. She has looked elegant through out the tour.
The designer of the white gown said he was told to add an extra seam allowance.

Meghan couldn't have known how fast she would start to show. Her clothes are tight not her fault. She has looked elegant through out the tour.
The designer of the white gown said he was told to add an extra seam allowance.

She clearly knew she was going to grow on this tour just by the fact that some of these dresses are at least 2 sizes up. She just didn’t know how fast the little munchkin wanted to grow.

(..)

Well, there's Samantha Cohen, the Aussie who used to work for the Queen, and who is on tour as an adviser and PA. I'm not sure that she'd be in charge of Meghan's clothing though.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainme...x/news-story/956e2b5e1b1eae560411e3131d531316

I doubt she's doing anything with Meghan's clothes except maybe advise on the formality of the clothing when necessary. She sits in on meetings with foreign politicians. She's got more serious things on her plate than if the Duchess missed a tag.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so I looked very closely at the tag that is hanging from Meghan's red dress and it isn't a price tag , it's the care of garment tag that is sewn against the inner seam on all the clothes we buy. It happens that as the wind blew it exposed it, nothing you could have thought to prevent because the tag would have been hidden indoors where she was dressing.

Can't decide which one is better, the red dress or the white gown, both are stunning. Okay at least I can forget the floral ruffles on yesterday now.?

Lol ....The red and white dresses are both beautiful. I can’t decide which one I like better either.

I don’t think we’ve seen her much in red, but she wears the color well.

She is going to be one of those ladies that gains weight all over not just in her stomach. If she were just gaining in her stomach she'd likely be able to wear her regular clothing for awhile.

LaRae

I don't see any change in her arms or legs yet, just her bust and torso. And she wears fairly fitted clothing so once your waist and bust expand, regular clothes do not work--I speak from experience.

Well, there's Samantha Cohen, the Aussie who used to work for the Queen, and who is on tour as an adviser and PA. I'm not sure that she'd be in charge of Meghan's clothing though.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainme...x/news-story/956e2b5e1b1eae560411e3131d531316

Just because Samantha is a woman doesn't mean she automatically should be in charge of Meghan's wardrobe. I think her duties are a lot higher profile than that. Did ELF take care of Harry's wardrobe when he was Harry's private secretary?

Last edited by a moderator:
Meghan looks stunnning in white. Simple and elegant with a little bling :flowers:

Great to see this new designer. Another example of supporting Commonwealth design talent. And prime example you don't have to wear a British label to support British fashion. The designer was educated in London, born in Ireland, and his fashion showcases the high level of talent in UK fashion industry. Another great example Meghan ipdiesbt have a limited vision, and realizes that you support the fashion world by more then simply wearing local labels.

No surprise even with all her commonwealth designers this tour people still find time to complain about foreign. Ever considered it's not her dresser who puts her in foreign design but Meghan who likes supporting a wide range?

I like the dark green dress, always loved that type of color myself. I must be one of the few who likes the sleeves, I think it adds a interesting design to the whole look. But I'm not sure it suits Meghan, it looks a bit weird on her. Love the gold accessories with the dress.

I really like the red dress. I like the embroidery, it gives a special touch to the dress. At first I was a bit surprised to see full sleeves, but they are chiffon and see-through, so I guess it won't be too hot to wear. But I must say that in some pictures (especially side pictures) that red belt on the stomach looks too painful, it looks too tight!

I'm not fond of the white dress, but it looks good on Meghan, I think white suits her well, she needs to wear more white clothes. But it also looks tight on her torso, and when I saw pictures of her sitting on that chair I wondered if she felt uncomfortable. I think she should wear a dress like the blue one in Fiji, 'cause that one seemed so comfortable and flowy.

The Duchess’s dress designers knew there was a bun in the oven-
https://people.com/royals/meghan-ma...cial-button-sharing&__twitter_impression=true

I am pretty sure all the designers who did her bespoke pieces knew as well. There are only one reason one would need an extra seam in a dress you MIGHT wear in the future. They just respected their client's privacy as one should especially if you want to continue that relationship.

Meghan loves her darks but I think it is pretty clear that the overload on them in the last weeks was due to her wanting to hide her growing baby bump. It wasn't noticeable to us but I am sure she felt like she was. And as we can see she is popping more and more everyday.

Now that she is comfortable and it is public she playing with other colors.

If they all knew it would have been nice if the seams were just a little larger, that's all I can say. Poor Meghan.

I like the dark green dress, always loved that type of color myself. I must be one of the few who likes the sleeves, I think it adds a interesting design to the whole look. But I'm not sure it suits Meghan, it looks a bit weird on her. Love the gold accessories with the dress.

I really like the red dress. I like the embroidery, it gives a special touch to the dress. At first I was a bit surprised to see full sleeves, but they are chiffon and see-through, so I guess it won't be too hot to wear. But I must say that in some pictures (especially side pictures) that red belt on the stomach looks too painful, it looks too tight!

I'm not fond of the white dress, but it looks good on Meghan, I think white suits her well, she needs to wear more white clothes. But it also looks tight on her torso, and when I saw pictures of her sitting on that chair I wondered if she felt uncomfortable. I think she should wear a dress like the blue one in Fiji, 'cause that one seemed so comfortable and flowy.

The sleeve on the green dress was odd because the dress itself is about two sizes too big, AND her bump is still pushing it up. That baby is not working with mom on when he/she is growing and how fast. :lol: I do think Meghan is quite uncomfortable in tighter dresses altogether at this point. But her bump just keeps growing and growing.

If they all knew it would have been nice if the seams were just a little larger, that's all I can say. Poor Meghan.

I don't think they were told. They just knew because as people in the business you know why someone like Meghan wants clothing let out. And to be fair they probably made it to what they requested. No way they could have predicted this much of a change. I doubt even Meghan thought her bump would be this drastic after a week.

Also I haven't felt they have been that bad. The only one I felt was truly tight was the green dress. The others just more form fitting. It worked well for this white dress, IMO.

I am pretty sure all the designers who did her bespoke pieces knew as well. There are only one reason one would need an extra seam in a dress you MIGHT wear in the future. They just respected their client's privacy as one should especially if you want to continue that relationship.

I think there only two bespoken pieces we know so far. The red and the white. I'm surprised she didn't get some bespoken from Jason Wu.

Yes, she is 'showing', but I do think there is a little exaggeration about how much she is 'showing'. Her correct posture is such that with her shoulders back, the bump projects forward as does her fuller bust. Yes her clothes seem a little tighter than her tiny, svelte figure usually appears but a sideways view reveals that the bump isn't as huge as some reports keep suggesting.

Said person does not have to be designated as a Dresser. Might be a Personal Assistant who, amongst other things, organises the clothing of the Duke and Duchess whilst on the tour.

Most travelling royals with a tour with this magnitude will have some support in this department, irrespective of what the said resource is designated.
I do remember reading that there are ten in their entourage. Besides private secretaries for each,mothered were several communications staff, one young man was digital. And I remember the hairdresser and a personal assistant whose duties weren’t explained. Too bad she doesn’t have a ladies maid/seamstress who could have let out the white dress s little.

I think there only two bespoken pieces we know so far. The red and the white. I'm surprised she didn't get some bespoken from Jason Wu.

Well we don't know that she didn't. We have 6 days left. These designers don't know she will wear them until she does. Even this designer was on IG shocked she picked him. So despite them buying it is no guarantee it will actually be seen. Also remember Jason Wu did that blue ruffle dress and was pretty coy when asked at the time about the pregnancy rumors.

Well we don't know that she didn't. We have 6 days left. These designers don't know she will wear them until she does. Even this designer was on IG shocked she picked him. So despite them buying it is no guarantee it will actually be seen. Also remember Jason Wu did that blue ruffle dress and was pretty coy when asked at the time about the pregnancy rumors.

What did he say at the time of the ruffle dress?

Could we change the subject slightly?

Everyone has had her/his say about Meghan’s changing body and the fit of her clothes. We ordinarily don’t remark on the weight or shape of a woman on these boards. I find Meghan to be extraordinarily gallant and dignified doing this tour under difficult conditions.

Can’t we just go back to discussing her clothes- pretty, plain, color, becoming or not? She doesn’t deserve a day-by-day analysis of her waist, her bust, her derrière.

My heart aches for her on this tour, knowing she must worry about how she looks every minute, and assuming she knows sharp-eyed people are critiquing her body.

Everyone has had her/his say about Meghan’s changing body and the fit of her clothes. We ordinarily don’t remark on the weight or shape of a woman on these boards. I find Meghan to be extraordinarily gallant and dignified doing this tour under difficult conditions.

Can’t we just go back to discussing her clothes- pretty, plain, color, becoming or not? She doesn’t deserve a day-by-day analysis of her waist, her bust, her derrière.

My heart aches for her on this tour, knowing she must worry about how she looks every minute, and assuming she knows sharp-eyed people are critiquing her body.

Excellent advice. I think she’s done pretty well with her changing body. I’m happy to go back to clothes critiquing only.

The green Jason Wu dress is not great. The material is stiff and bends at places you don´t want to see any bends.

The white Theia dress is really lovely. Very clean and classic, but with some details at the sleeves. I hope to see this one again some time in the future. As for the red Self Portrait dress? A good dress and red looks great on her. A shame about the tags flapping around. Could've been avoided if her senior aide was paying attention but here I was told that having someone like a senior aide with you, means that details like this go noticed before the cameras start clicking away.

I don't think people are critiquing her body-they are discussing the fit or lack thereof in the clothing she is wearing-a problem because of the length of the tour at a certain point in the pregnancy. Women's bodies do not all respond to pregnancy the same way, where and how you show and how your body changes is pretty individual.

Love the Green Jason Wu. That lovely shade of forest green looks so decadent on her. She does really well in jewel tones.

The ruby dress, I love, but it's so weird seeing her in something so RED, but I'm glad it wasn't long dress, and that it was cut to suit her.

That white evening gown is to die for, and I can't wait to see her in it again.

These three outfits are pieces that I hope to see again in the years to come, especially with some slight alterations post baby.

Oh, I really like this! Very crisp and the stripes make it fun, too. Love her hair!

Always love a stripe. Great outfit! The color of the heels is to die for.

I really like this too. The dress, its colours, hair, all fabulous, and the shoes are great as well.

Back
Top Bottom