The Duchess of Sussex's Maternity Fashion: October 2018 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love the zing of that blue, Fijian national colour, and it really suits Meghan's colouring. The dress is plain but I like it, and the earrings are beautiful.

:previous: Okay I wish she would wear a proper hat because her preference for flat fascinators is IMO very unfascinating, but that's my problem. The dress strikes me as a very "Fiji in the afternoon keep the mozzies away" style. (I wonder if she wore hose as another mozzie barrier?) The saving grace was that the material in the skirt seems quite heavy and was fully lined and it moved like a dream.

I really like both the colour and cut of her evening gown and her hair looks wonderful.

Wow, no getting away from the fact that she is quite, quite pregnant!

http://meghansmirror.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Meghan-Markle-ROyal-Blue-cape-Dress-600x1007.jpg

Her stylist has known she was pregnant for minimum two months and could estimate what stage she would be in. Someone who is really good with fashion and clothes and is familiar with her client could design a wardrobe for a 3-4 month pregnant woman quickly and ahead of time. My mother did just that for me, made me several dressy and everyday things for the thick in the middle, slight pot belly stage. If you have expertise, it is easy.

Every woman’s pregnancy is different. I went from zero to fifty practically overnight, which no one can fully anticipate. But I had the advantage of being able to wear something unattractive or ill-fitting without a massive group of people commenting on my lack of style. And if I needed to, I could just stay home and sulk!

Meghan has to be in the public eye several times a day in several outfits. Not easy. And her shape has changed dramatically in just one week.

She is so tiny (or so folks say who have met her in real life) it's not surprising she doesn't have a lot of 'room' to absorb things. A shame it's not the 80's ...the smock was great for pregnant ladies!

LaRae

I really think blue (and all shades of it) is really her colour ! The long blue dress is one of the best I have seen ! Gorgeous !

That blue dress is very plain ...but the color is just gorgeous on Meghan. When she moves the dress is lovely.

LaRae

I like the idea of the white dress a lot more than I like the actual dress, which does not seem to fit well, especially in the shoulders. But it's appropriate, and she wears those creamy shades of white very, very well. The hat (it's not a fascinator, the base is too big) is lovely and suits her well.

But that blue dress! That is so beautiful on her! The color is divine, and the style is perfect for the weather, the stage of pregnancy, and the event. Meghan looks so spectacular in this vibrant a color, I hope she chooses to branch out into colors like this often.

That blue dress. Those earrings. That bump. She looks amazing.

Beautiful, Meghan!

Are we taking bets on when this blue is going to lead to boy speculations?:lol::lol:

WOOOOOOOOOW the blue cape dress! Love it.

Love the white dress too but not sure about the position of the hat.

After watching more footage of the white dress, I'm liking it quite a bit more. The way the skirt moves is very nice. The fit of the shoulders still bothers me, but the rest of it is really growing on me.

And, if possible, I love the blue gown even more than I did on first look. Whereas I always thought that the Stella McCartney cape dress looked as though it was swallowing her, this blue dress moves and flows over Meghan in the most alluring and flattering way. She doesn't look swallowed, she looks enhanced. I feel as though I could just fill up the comment box with exclamation points and that would about sum it up.

I love the crispness of the white dress. The hat is 'meh' to me, but she looks nice. I noticed in some pictures from the welcome ceremony that she looked a bit misty eyed. I hope everything is alright.

As for the blue evening dress, it's very lovely and she looks amazing in it. However, this would have been a nice time for some sort of brooch on the dress, but I guess the best accessory would be her smile and her baby.

After watching more footage of the white dress, I'm liking it quite a bit more. The way the skirt moves is very nice. The fit of the shoulders still bothers me, but the rest of it is really growing on me.

And, if possible, I love the blue gown even more than I did on first look. Whereas I always thought that the Stella McCartney cape dress looked as though it was swallowing her, this blue dress moves and flows over Meghan in the most alluring and flattering way. She doesn't look swallowed, she looks enhanced. I feel as though I could just fill up the comment box with exclamation points and that would about sum it up.

Completely agree on all points. And as much as I like that Stella McCartney dress, you can really tell that it was big on Meghan earlier on in the year if she is able to wear it now during her pregnancy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lovely shade of blue- and those earrings! Wow!

I love this dress. The shade of blue complements the color of the sea surrounding Fiji.

Woah, that blue dress shows that her belly has really, suddenly just popped in the span of this trip. As it does...I remember, in both of my pregnancies, having my midsection transform without warning from looking vaguely bloated one evening to round and pregnant-looking the next morning.

As someone who always finds logistics interesting, I have a lot of questions about how a wardrobe is prepared for a trip like this when there’s no way to predict when that belly change will occur. I honestly was skeptical of those folks who were saying she was 15 weeks along because of the choice of not-that-forgiving waistlines so far on the trip. Now that she has popped in a way that seems very consistent with the 15-week estimate, I’m wondering if they didn’t start off with those waistlines because they had clothes purchased before her pregnancy that they needed to get through first—maybe items initially intended for other events (or if at her 12 week scan, well into the planning for this, she was perhaps one of those women told by the doctor that she’s farther along than she realized...that happened to a few of my friends). Have they perhaps even had to reschedule things on the fly as she’s grown, pushing the more forgiving fits to later? I definitely get the feel from the fit of the white arrival dress that her belly and bust have become bigger than they anticipated would be the case when that dress was worn. For her sake, I hope they didn’t gamble too heavily on her staying slimmer longer than this pregnancy is actually going to allow.

Stunning blue dress. The gorgeous color and cape take simple design up a knotch. :flowers:

Love the earrings. As much as I love brooches I like the simplicity of her look.

The dress is Safiyaa London. Another British designer for her list

Last edited:
Ok, now that I've had a chance to look at the Stephen Jones hat from a different angle (not as she's looking down as she's walking off the plane, and I'm seeing the top of her head), I kinda like it. She looks quite adorable in that fascinator.

As for the blue evening dress, it's very lovely and she looks amazing in it. However, this would have been a nice time for some sort of brooch on the dress, but I guess the best accessory would be her smile and her baby.

YES it needs a brooch.

Every woman’s pregnancy is different. I went from zero to fifty practically overnight, which no one can fully anticipate. But I had the advantage of being able to wear something unattractive or ill-fitting without a massive group of people commenting on my lack of style. And if I needed to, I could just stay home and sulk!

Meghan has to be in the public eye several times a day in several outfits. Not easy. And her shape has changed dramatically in just one week.
I certainly understand every pregnancy and body shape is different and that Meghan has the challenge of appearing in public. However, there are experts, dressmakers, costume designers, who do this. It is obvious that a woman’s with her build, slim hipped, short waisted will show sooner no matter how the pregnancy is going than a woman with the opposite attributes. I am certainly not faulting Meghan, just the stylists lack of expertise in this department.
BUT what two fabulous dresses in Fiji . The white one has a gorgeous silhouette for her and a lovely full, lined skirt. The blue dress is a knockout. The cape is regal, and doesn’t overwhelm like the other cape dress.the silhouette is roomy. The whole look is very halstons 70s but with this gorgeous blue. Great earrings

Reminds me of something you would see on DVF too...that blue dress. Love to see Meghan wearing some of her stuff.

LaRae

I don't know. Straight down hair and chandelier earrings and a brooch? Hmmm. Let's pace ourselves. :lol:

Here’s Tom and Lorenzo, mentioning some of the things already said on this thread:

https://tomandlorenzo.com/2018/10/r...eeps-things-simple-in-zimmermann-and-safiyaa/

Plus: “Jesus, Harry. Button your jacket.”

Interesting comparison of the two couples’ approach to style and demeanor...

I will say, I did think that in the last couple of days about Harry's jacket. Particularly noticeable during IG Opening Ceremony. I gave him a pass for a great speech. But if there is one thing about clothes that bothers me is people not buttoning the top button on their suit when standing up.

But I disagree with them about the hair. Given how everyone else was dressed, I think that'd be too much. She's already wearing a long evening gown. The hair actually was the right touch. Now, if she had just brought her wedding bracelet.

It's a shame that dress is probably two sizes or more too big for her normally. I would love for that to be repeated several times more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, T+L, this has been a remarkably successful tour so far, and perhaps we Aussies, that have witnessed it, like a more down to earth approach than 'Obama-like smoothness', whatever that may mean.

Well, T+L, this has been a remarkably successful tour so far, and perhaps we Aussies, that have witnessed it, like a more down to earth approach than 'Obama-like smoothness', whatever that may mean.

I really like the approach they took for their tour. It was informal, and that's fine when they are in more relaxed clothing. I'm even ok with not buttoning a sports jacket or relaxed suit when he's not wearing a tie. But if you are going to go for a nice and more formal suit, button the top button.

Plus: “Jesus, Harry. Button your jacket.”

Interesting comparison of the two couples’ approach to style and demeanor...

Remind me William also kept his buttons unbuttoned in Scandinavia, too. Charles, please (re)teach your kids how to button their jackets in formal occasions:lol:.

Well, there would have been no hiding her pregnancy after photos of her in that blue evening gown hit the news. She has popped.
That gown is a beautiful color--and it is not navy, black or white!

Back
Top Bottom