State Visit from the President of the United States: June 3-5, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PM Theresa May - her outfit today is her best outfit of this tour.

Last edited:
Let's end the Meghan discussion in this thread.

She is on maternity leave.
The president has not said anything new about her.

There is really no need to continue to obsessively focus on her for 31 pages long.

Please move on...

Last edited:
How can Trump say he never met Prince Harry? I thought they had lunch together before this Piers Morgan interview?

Thanks for clearing it up. That's indeed what I was talking about. Why are there no longer return dinners but Guildhall banquets instead?

There are no Guildhall banquets either,not anymore,not in a long long time.

State Visit by the President of the United States: June 3-5, 2019

There was a Guildhall Banquet in 2017 for Felipe and Letizia, one for China in 2015 as well.

There was a Banquet at the Guildhall in 2015 during the Chinese State Visit.

There was a Banquet at the Guildhall in 2017 during the Spanish State Visit.

Ronald Reagan came to Britain on a “State” visit, June 7-9, 1982. This is Listed on the U.S. State Department’s website by the Office of the Historian.
He addressed Parliament.
Other websites call it an “official” visit-it was at Windsor. Very odd.

It’s confusing. Britain claims only 3 State visits from USA: President George W Bush,President Obama,and President Trump. I think the rest were official visits.

The Queen and Prince of Wales bid farewell to the US President and 1st Lady as they leave for Ireland.

Queen Elizabeth and the Prince of Wales with US President Trump and other politicians and heads of state at the 75th Anniversary of D-Day in Portsmouth today, June 5:

** rex gallery ** gettyimages gallery **

** dm article: Trump joins the Queen, Theresa May, Merkel and Macron to honour D-Day veterans, 75 years after the Allies stormed ..**

The Brits put on quite a show today in Portsmouth . I finally had time to watch the ceremony and I was truly moved. In fact, I must confess I could not hold the tears at times.

I was also glad Mrs Merkel attended the celebration. After all, the Normandy landings paved the way not only for the liberation of France and the Benelux countries, but also, let us not forget, for the ultimate liberation of Germany itself from the Nazi regime. In a way, Germany’s defeat was the foundation for the freedom and prosperity that Germans enjoy today.

The Queen and Prince of Wales bid farewell to the US President and 1st Lady as they leave for Ireland.

I can picture the Queen now arriving back at BP: shoes off, feet up and a large Gin & Dubonnet.

Last edited:
I can picture the Queen now arriving back at BP: shoes off, feet up and a large Gin & Dubonnet.

The D-Day celebration must be very personal to her. After all, as she said in her short speech, that is her generation and she is a WW2 veteran too, one of the last living members of the “great generation” ( as the Americans say) among prominent world figures.

I am glad she also remembered her father in her remarks ,, which was also a very personal touch.

The D-Day celebration must be very personal to her. After all, as she said in her short speech, that is her generation and she is a WW2 veteran too, one of the last living members of the “great generation” ( as the Americans say) among prominent world figures.

I am glad she also remembered her father in her remarks ,, which was also a very personal touch.

Indeed, today would be very poignant & personal as well as highly significant as head of state. The Queen is one of the last people who spans both roles so she's incredibly special to us.

It's poignant & personal for me too, as it is for many people with close relatives who took an active part in the Normandy landings. My father's brother was killed on D-Day as he ran up Sword Beach with his comrades in The Gordon Highlanders. He was 26. RIP :britflag: :scotflag:

In my age group there's no one I know who didn't have a family member involved in WW2 and many were at D-Day. The survivors are of such an age now that we aren't going to have them around much longer.

LaRae

"Kate" is just as incorrect as "Duchess Kate", I´ve never heard Pr. William referring to his wife as Kate. She might be called Kate by some friends, perhaps also by her parents - but this was mainly a fabrication of the tabloids when it became known that she was dated by William. From then on it was Kate here and kate there...
People outside the UK hardly know titles like "The Duchess of Cambridge/Sussex". Just as the average person not interested in royal issues knows who "The Duke of Sussex would be. But when you talk about "Duchess Kate" or "Prince Harry" to others not familiar with royalty they know instantly who you are talking about.
I don´t like that either, but I gather it will remain that way as long as the media refer to them, especially Cath. and Meghan, that way.

In the Dutch and Belgian weekly programs "Blauw bloed" and "Place Royale" they consequently say "Hertogin Catherine". Her husband remains "Prins William". Like they say "Hertogin Camilla" but still say "Prins Charles". Weird enough Charlène is usually Charlène indeed. I seldom hear or see the phrase "prinses Charlène" while "prinses Gracia" or "prinses Caroline" are normal expressions.

But luckily never "Kate Middleton" or "Camilla Parker-Bowles" as I still see in some US media, which drives me crazy.

Even in the German "Bunte" refers to them as Herzogin Kate, Herzogin Camilla, Herzogin Meghan.
The correct titles are too long to type all the time. And that's probably the reason papers still use their maiden names.

It is easier with other European Royal Houses because they're all princesses, eg Princess Sofia, Princess Marie, Princess Laurentien, Princess Mabel. You hardly see the papers reverting to their maiden names.

Apologies if someone has already responded to you but I did wonder if it was Steven Mnuchin's wife Louise Linton??

You are right it is Louse Linton, Steven Mnuchin's wife.

I didn't think the Royals would stop to shake hands with other guests while they are in that formation. I thought at that stage everything is so choreographed.
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/06/05/01/14380040-7105511-image-m-24_1559693975975.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
On balance I think it went off remarkably well, despite the prognostications of disaster from both sides of 'the pond'..Fewer gaffes and much smaller demonstrations than anyone had predicted, and both guests and hosts very gratified by it. All in all expectations seem to have been exceeded...

Last edited:
State Visit by the President of the United States: June 3-5, 2019

Melania looked stunning today. I had wished she’d worn a British designer though or even an American one. I think this visit, optics wise could have been a lot worse and I really think it was a good visit.

I just wish we hadn't had things like this.

Trump's now flown to the ROI briefly before going to France in the morning, the air miles...

Last edited:
Melania looked stunning today. I had wished she’d worn a British designer though or even an American one. I think this visit, optics wise could have been a lot worse and I really think it was a good visit.

It was indeed a good one. Really enjoyed it !

Well it looks like Prince Charles took full advantage of his time with Donald Trump!

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...-prince-charles-us-is-clean-on-climate-change

God Bless the Prince of Wales! Also, goes to prove there's no such thing as a free lunch, or free tag-a-longs at a State Dinner.

And, God Bless your uncle and his sacrifice for helping us all to be free. A local man here who died recently, was one of the drivers of the "duck boats", most of which sunk before they reached the shores. He miraculously survived but never spoke of that day when he lost so, so many of his comrades. God Bless them all.

The Brits put on quite a show today in Portsmouth . I finally had time to watch the ceremony and I was truly moved. In fact, I must confess I could not hold the tears at times.

I was also glad Mrs Merkel attended the celebration. After all, the Normandy landings paved the way not only for the liberation of France and the Benelux countries, but also, let us not forget, for the ultimate liberation of Germany itself from the Nazi regime. In a way, Germany’s defeat was the foundation for the freedom and prosperity that Germans enjoy today.
I am looking forward to seeing the clips. I am glad you mentioned the German liberation from a horrific dictatorship. Reminds us of the other dictatorships all around the world today and that Tianenman Square happened 25 years ago but it now erased from their history books.

Last edited by a moderator:
I apologize if this has been answered but what were the medals Prince Charles wore today at the D-Day commemoration? Especially the one around his neck?

Thanks.

I apologize if this has been answered but what were the medals Prince Charles wore today at the D-Day commemoration? Especially the one around his neck?

Thanks.

The order around his neck is the Order of Merit https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_Merit

His other medals are what I call attendance medals - Queen's coronation medal, Jubliee medals etc. Medals are struck to commemorate significant events - like the various jubilees. All the male members of the Queen's family (and Princess Anne) seem to be awarded them and they are usually awarded to members of the armed services, police, royal household.

I'm not sure about the other female members of the family because we don't usually see them in uniform and it seems to be only the men who wear their medals with civvies.

Back
Top Bottom