State Visit from Iceland to Denmark: October 8-9, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blog Real

Imperial Majesty
City
Lisboa
Country
Portugal
In the wake of an invitation of Her Majesties the King and the Queen, the President of Iceland, His Excellency Halla Tomasdóttir, and his spouse, Mr. A. Björn Skúlason, will be a state visit to Denmark on 8 and 9 October 2024.

Last edited:
That's great! Another opportunity to strengthen the ties between the Nordic / Scandinavian countries. I've been to Iceland this summer - an experience I won't forget for the rest of my life. Breathtaking scenery and the nature is so wonderful. Having seen the pictures of the King and Queen's tour to Greenland I suspect the landscape might be very similar!

Look forward. Iceland was a worthy candidate (along with Finland) to be the first incoming state visit of the reign.

In the wake of an invitation of Her Majesties the King and the Queen, the President of Iceland, His Excellency Halla Tomasdóttir, and his spouse, Mr. A. Björn Skúlason, will be a state visit to Denmark on 8 and 9 October 2024.
For clarification: the current president is the second female president of Iceland, so it would be her spouse that is joining her.

Very exciting. First incoming State Visit for Frederik and Mary. And the close ties with Iceland can only grow.

An additional entry for the State Visit has been added for October 10th - The King and Queen bid farewell to the President of Iceland and her husband at Christian VII's Palace. Amalienborg, at 09.15.

Would be cool if CP Christian attend the State Banquet
As it has already been announced that he will be in Africa from early September, until christmas - i strongly doubt he will return to Denmark before that, unless there is a family emergency of some kind…

Here's a live link for the start of the state visit today, October 8:

** gettyimages gallery ** gtresnews gallery **

Queen Margrethe attended the welcome ceremony at Amalienborg as well:

The President of Iceland received the Order of the Elephant, her husband was decorated with the Grand Cross of the Order of the Dane.

They look very at ease with each other.
A live blog
another gallery

a nice detail with the court, new ties!

Some long history

Love the touch of the ties with the Monogram and the pins as well!

Great photos and videos so far of Day 1. Everyone looks fantatsic and like they are having a great time!

Here's a live link for the start of the state visit today, October 8:

** gettyimages gallery ** gtresnews gallery **

Queen Margrethe attended the welcome ceremony at Amalienborg as well:

The President of Iceland received the Order of the Elephant, her husband was decorated with the Grand Cross of the Order of the Dane.

Both King Frederik and Queen Mary have previously received the highest level of the Icelandic Order of the Falcon, the Grand Cross of the Order of the Falcon.

If you are wondering why there is a guardsman in a blue tunic among the guardsmen in the red gala tunic, it's because he is among the sentries who are being relieved.
After the changing of the guards at noon, the relieved watch march back to Rosenborg Castle, but the sentries remain at their posts until relieved. And that happens a little later.
The relieved sentries are then driven back to Rosenborg Castle in a mini-bus.

It's good QMII is so much on the mend that she could come to greet them at Amalienborg.
She didn't have to in any way, but surely she did so because of her affiliation to Iceland. She's very fond of the place and very well versed in Icelandic history and culture and not least their sagas. I'm sure that little gesture is much appreciated by the Icelanders.

Iceland to this day still maintains a close connection with DK, especially in regards to many Icelanders getting a higher education at universities in DK. And at least until recently, Danish was taught in Icelandic schools as a mandatory second language. Not sure if that's the case anymore though.

It's also a good practice run for the Icelandic First Couple, who can visit (and make mistakes) in a friendly environment.

A nice little video.
King Frederik receives the report of the officers in charge of the honor guard and then inspects the honor guard. Now the command has been transferred directly to the King.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did the president curtseyed to the King and Queen when she arrived? I thought the head of states did not curtsey/bow to each other.

She curtseyed when she arrived in the chalup and was officially welcomed in Dk, not in the evening.

She curtseyed when she arrived in the chalup and was officially welcomed in Dk, not in the evening.
Ah, we're talking about two different moments then!

Back
Top Bottom