"Spare" memoir by the Duke of Sussex (2023)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's an extract from the book where he's talking to a therapist who he rated well. This was at the beginning of 2017.
Well, the therapist was certainly correct on that account.

Here's an extract from the book where he's talking to a therapist who he rated well. This was at the beginning of 2017.

He’s still addicted to the press. Meghan seems to have similar problems.

Whatever advice the therapist gave him in dealing with this clearly didn’t take.

If my new boyfriend told me that I needed to curtsy to his grandma in a private gathering, I would think it was a joke. I’ve always thought the curtsy was something done in public.

And if you were dating any regular Joe Schmo that would be absolutely correct and make total sense. If you were dating a prince, one that you knew to be the son of the next king, I really can't imagine why being expected to curtsey would be so apparently unexpected. We've heard for years that this is something that is expected even in private at the first meeting of the day. A simple Google search would have made it clear that it was expected.

I read this on twitter and haven’t got the book itself yet but: is it true Tom Bowers wrote Doria was a drug dealer (and it’s true because she hasn’t sued it) and that Harry mentions this in the book??

Curbside, respectively disagree. if my new boyfriend was a Royal Prince and grandson of The Queen of England and I was a supposedly well educated Woman with a degree in International Relations I wouldn't be surprised at all to be expected to Curtsy.

Especially for a woman who loves her Princess Diary movies.

Last edited:
I read this on twitter and haven’t got the book itself yet but: is it true Tom Bowers wrote Doria was a drug dealer (and it’s true because she hasn’t sued it) and that Harry mentions this in the book??

This was mentioned in a news segment which has since been taken private/made no longer available so it is therefore not considered a trustworthy source according to our forum rules. We’ll be refraining from discussing those allegations unless they are reported in a credible manner.

Tom Bower did not write that in the book I read.

Meghan met the queen first.

If my new boyfriend told me that I needed to curtsy to his grandma in a private gathering, I would think it was a joke. I’ve always thought the curtsy was something done in public.

Curbside-Here's a little background on that particular protocol. The members of the Royal Family curtsy or bow to the monarch/consort the first time they see them that day even in private. If you ever see a royal family gathering where only one or two bow/curtsy that means that they hadn't seen the monarch/consort earlier in the day. Prince Harry shares about practicing how the family's children learn to do so in front of a statue of Queen Victoria at Balmoral. As we've seen at the late Queen's funeral, the Wales older children George and Charlotte were well acquainted with the expected protocol.

He’s still addicted to the press. Meghan seems to have similar problems.

Whatever advice the therapist gave him in dealing with this clearly didn’t take.

But MM said she doesn’t read her press:

“What’s so funny is I’m not trying to be cagey,” she says. “I don’t read any press. So I don’t know what’s confirmed. I will tell you Liz Garbus is incredible. Liz Garbus also worked on Pearl.” Meghan says she’s going to leave it to her publicist and Netflix to decide what can be shared. (Not much.)
The Cut interview

Must be a regional thing. When we lived in Connecticut (USA), for decades, people would refer to the grandmothers as 'Nana' followed by the first name. https://grammarhow.com/nana-grandma/

Connecticut native, born and bred and lifelong resident until 2 years ago. Everyone up here uses different terms for their grandparents depending on their ethnicities. In my family it was gramma and grampa. Neighbors were Nono and Nona. Cousins used nanny and papa, neighbors used meme and papy. ?

Was Colbert sympathetic to Harry or did he question him at all about throwing his family under the bus?

Colbert was sympathetic, even bringing up his own family tragedy in passing when framing a question for Harry.

Colbert did ask Harry if his family was "actively campaigning" against the book, and obviously Harry wanted to answer that in the affirmative.

I notice that ordinary commentators are beginning to pick Harry's claims apart.

Like him being at Eton when he was informed his great-grandmother died. It's proved without a doubt that he was in Verbier with his dad and brother.

That he got an X-box by his mother, despite the X-box only being available three years later.

Delusions may indeed vary, but it really doesn't help one's career as a professional whiner, if one is repeatedly caught in too many inconsistencies like that.

Like him being at Eton when he was informed his great-grandmother died. It's proved without a doubt that he was in Verbier with his dad and brother.

That he got an X-box by his mother, despite the X-box only being available three years later.

Delusions may indeed vary, but it really doesn't help one's career as a professional whiner, if one is repeatedly caught in too many inconsistencies like that.

It makes you wonder just what else Harry doesn’t remember correctly.

He couldn’t remember when Louise and James were born either.

Right? This is absolutely ridiculous and does not do Harold any favors on the recollections may vary side. When completely made up baloney passes as his memories, there is something wrong. And the fact the publishers/editors didn't notice isn't a glowing tribute to them either.

I doubt it very much. Harry seems to think he has the right to do it to others because it's been done to him.

I will say, however, that I find it sickening how much Burrell has exploited Diana for over two decades now, setting himself up as the expert on what she would think, what she would say and dropping snippets about her to anyone who'll pay him. If he'd done that about my mother, I'd be furious so I think William and Harry have every right to be (despite Harry breaching other people's privacy).

Im no fan of Burrell's but he has never said anything unkind about Diana, and he has the excuse of being a poor man, Harry is a millionaire...

And if you were dating any regular Joe Schmo that would be absolutely correct and make total sense. If you were dating a prince, one that you knew to be the son of the next king, I really can't imagine why being expected to curtsey would be so apparently unexpected. We've heard for years that this is something that is expected even in private at the first meeting of the day. A simple Google search would have made it clear that it was expected.

My point is, not coming from this culture of deference to a monarch, I’d find it weird that I would curtsy to someone in private.

"Spare" memoir by the Duke of Sussex (2023)

My point is, not coming from this culture of deference to a monarch, I’d find it weird that I would curtsy to someone in private.

I think if I were in her shoes I’d just expect the unexpected as a starting point.

It shouldn’t be hard to figure out there are just going to be HUGE differences between what she’s used to and this family.

And keeping my mouth shut about my shock would be a no brainer. It might not go down well.

Meghan met the queen first.

YOu would thnk it was a joke that you were expected to curtsy to the monarch who is head of your boyfriends family?

Welcome to the Forum! :flowers:

Re Spare and the USA media:
We just came back from the veterinarian's office, dropping off our 9-year-old cat for a minor tooth extraction and pick him up in 4 hours. While on the car, listening to the upstate NY local radio 103.3, the crazy morning show was discussing Spare! One of them commented how tragic was that Harry stated that as a child he believed his mother was still alive and hiding and the car crash was all planned as her way to escape and pretend she was dead.

The other two radio DJs stated how tragic was that a child would believe this and how that trauma could have affected him to this day.
That won't justify his recent actions as an adult but says a lot about his resentment towards anything involving his mother's life and the people around her.
so why was he complaining a while ago about the people in the crowd crying out and being sad that his mother had died. He was resentful of that apparently because she was
HIS mum and he did not want other people sharing his grief, but - he believed for 10 year after that she was not dead and was in hidiing?

A deviated spine. Matron Pat had scoliosis.

Congrats, Harry. You just helped favourite Cousin Eugenie make the point of how important helping people with scoliosis is.

If Eugenie hadn't had the help she needed, she might not have walked proudly with her scar revealed in her gorgeous dress when she was such a stunning bride. She might have been the next object of Harry's mockery. Matron Eugenie.

Somehow, I am not inclined to sing the sad song of Diana's sad little boy right now if I ever was.

But I guess Eugenie wouldn't mind if she won't write a book on how hurt she was.

Muhler;2522389 ----------- I don't like Harry. It's not a question of me not liking the man he has become said:
A lot of us are thinking that right now. He said during his interview with Colbert that the last few days have been "hurtful" for him but he doesn't realize how what he has done has hurt those he says he loves. The lack of self reflection is unbelievable.

I'd rather know how people feel about Harold slapping his body guard multiple times, and not giving a **** that he and Megan made their staff cry, than that unimportant tireseome bridesmaid dresses story.

That answer will be in two parts.

It is totally unacceptable to behave in a way and/or make demands of your employees that makes them break down. Period. End of discussion.
In most European countries such behavior would see the employer end up in court and/or with a strike on their hands.

As for the bodyguard, unfortunately I think such behavior is more common than we may think. So bodyguards in general and that also includes royal protection officers are no doubt trained for and prepared for their charge sometimes behaving like a brawling drunkard.
I guess the officer in question if he was hurt to any extent at all, would simply report it as a work-related injury.

- Having said that, once Harry sobered up, he should if he had any decency within him apologize unreservedly not only to the officer he hit but also to the rest of the team.
Keep in mind that this was not a rare occurrence vis a vis the officer remarking that he (Harry) was handful tonight.

I would feel deeply embarrassed if I had treated people, whom I entrusted my life, in such an appalling way.
However, like I said before, it's probably way more common than we think.

That answer will be in two parts.

It is totally unacceptable to behave in a way and/or make demands of your employees that makes them break down. Period. End of discussion.
In most European countries such behavior would see the employer end up in court and/or with a strike on their hands.

As for the bodyguard, unfortunately I think such behavior is more common than we may think. So bodyguards in general and that also includes royal protection officers are no doubt trained for and prepared for their charge sometimes behaving like a brawling drunkard.
I guess the officer in question if he was hurt to any extent at all, would simply report it as a work-related injury.

- Having said that, once Harry sobered up, he should if he had any decency within him apologize unreservedly not only to the officer he hit but also to the rest of the team.
Keep in mind that this was not a rare occurrence vis a vis the officer remarking that he (Harry) was handful tonight.

I would feel deeply embarrassed if I had treated people, whom I entrusted my life, in such an appalling way.
However, like I said before, it's probably way more common than we think.

Karma will find its way to this poor excuse of a man,a human..nah...none of it...what a failure this twolegged disaster is..

YOu would thnk it was a joke that you were expected to curtsy to the monarch who is head of your boyfriends family?

Yes. I’d be like, “Are you serious?” In any event, she appears to have shaken off the unexpected surprise and executed the curtsy correctly.

Do anti-Sussex supporters admit any tiny bit of wrongdoing on behalf of Charles, Camilla, William or Kate? I don’t believe so. Instead there has been a huge pile on of everything Harry and Meghan have said and done with the worst possible imputations put on it, always, from the time Harry was a child.

Nobody in the Palace or the family was ever to blame for anything but Harry, and (after she appeared) Meghan as well. Every member of the Royal Family was angelic, sweet and kind always, no coldness, no working against each other by different households, and the media were always so wonderfully adoring that Harry and Meghan never had anything to worry about ever! No digging away trying to find dirt there!
This is funny to me! You’re trying to justify Harry’s bad behavior to his family. You’re are trying to give a pass to a person who has openly admitted to being rude to his staff, physically abusive to a security staff, making fun of a disabled person, talking about his private parts (cringe).

No one believes the family is perfect, but why should the family be blamed for any of his stupidity? Or lack of sense? What seriously questionable thing did Kate do to Harry or Meghan? What did Camilla do? You are really grasping for straws here. It’s not about being anti-Sussex or pro-royal family, but about laying down the facts because the lies, innuendos, half-truths and embellishments are too many and Harry is playing a silly game.

Im no fan of Burrell's but he has never said anything unkind about Diana, and he has the excuse of being a poor man, Harry is a millionaire...

Whether he says anything unkind or not isn't as important as breaching her privacy for money. He's not a poor man. He worked for QE2 as well as Charles & Diana. He would have had lots of opportunities post-royal service to make a fortune as a celebrity butler without resorting to exploiting a dead woman for decades. I believe Diana's sons have every right to criticise Burrell, despite what Harry is doing currently.

A lot of us are thinking that right now. He said during his interview with Colbert that the last few days have been "hurtful" for him but he doesn't realize how what he has done has hurt those he says he loves. The lack of self reflection is unbelievable.

He acknowledges that he hasn’t talked to William and Charles in awhile.

I can well imagine he hasn’t if he’s truly this clueless. What would be the point? (That’s setting aside the obvious point that they all have to wonder what he’ll say to the press about what they said.)

Yes. I’d be like, “Are you serious?” In any event, she appears to have shaken off the unexpected surprise and executed the curtsy correctly.
The context was given, they were meeting his grandmother who is the Queen. Of course, he bows to her and Meghan would have known that if her husband had endeavored to properly tell her way before. If family members do it, why wouldn’t a future in law do so?

so why was he complaining a while ago about the people in the crowd crying out and being sad that his mother had died. He was resentful of that apparently because she was
HIS mum and he did not want other people sharing his grief, but - he believed for 10 year after that she was not dead and was in hidiing?

Actually, he was resentful because he himself couldn’t cry. Listening to the memoir it seems he was in denial about his mother’s passing, and engaged in magical thinking. I don’t think this is unusual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom