"Spare" memoir by the Duke of Sussex (2023)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Charles gave them and Will money for the expenses of their engagements, which saved the tax payer a bit. Its true he did not HAVE to do this but it was a generous and tactful gesture towards the British tax payer.....

It seems Harry has admitted to a crime in the book at California sheriff's might be called in to investigate.
Apparently Harry and Meghan were allowed to take the miscarriage home with them and buried it in California. Taken any human remains is legal - burying human remains on private property not zoned as a cemetery is illegal.

Some of his claims are just bizarre. Charles and Camilla wanted Catherine to change her name to Katherine so that there wouldn't be three senior royals whose names all began with C?! What on earth?!

Last edited:
so if he felt Charles was doing this because it was part of the deal as a working royal, why did he expect Ch to go on supporting him when he was no longer a working royal?

That was my question too.

He himself mentioned financial independence on his Sussexroyal instagram plans, so what did he think “financial independence” meant? Asking your dad to secretly pass the cash under the counter situation? Ridiculous. Even having a wife who has had to work in the real world couldn’t give him an idea.
That's exactly what he meant. This topic was analyzed ad nauseam during the whole Sussex royal fail - they wanted to give up the money they received from the Sovereign Grand (around 5%) and didn't mention money from (then prince) King Charles (covered 95%).

Daily Mail source I'm afraid but here's more from the book about the wedding tiara:

The emerald one is probably the Greville bandeau that Eugenie wore - guesses for the others will appear on the jewellery board I expect.

As for the hairdressing appointment - you'd make that by liaising with Ms Kelly, not spring it on her one day out of the blue and expect the tiara to be instantly available.

What’s the story with the tiaras? I don’t understand.

So Meghan was just dutifully following HM's orders re: tiara? How... convenient.

Daily Mail source I'm afraid but here's more from the book about the wedding tiara:

The emerald one is probably the Greville bandeau that Eugenie wore - guesses for the others will appear on the jewellery board I expect.

As for the hairdressing appointment - you'd make that by liaising with Ms Kelly, not spring it on her one day out of the blue and expect the tiara to be instantly available.

I suspect the only reason they don't want to specify which the Tiara was because it's the one Eugenie had chosen. And Eugenie would pass off as the one who took Meghan's favorite Tiara. They probably don't want to make their relationship difficult with her and clarify the situation.

I read the story online - and it doesn't makes sense. Apparently they wanted to use the Spencer Tiara's (then why ask BP) when the Queen begged them not to it was changed to the another, Meghan's veil was even changed to match the tiara. But Angela Kelly didn't answer Harry message and then went she appeared treated them with distain. After they had spoken to a few people - all obstacles were cleared out - Harry notes that the Bureaucracy lifted as if had never been there and they were given the tiara. It is noted that there was never Queen involvement or that he never said "what Meghan wants, Meghann gets".
I still don't understand about wanting to wear the Spencer tiara - they have no right to it, and that has nothing to do with the Queen - it is Charles Spencer's. But he gives the impression that it is there waiting.

I read the story online - and it doesn't makes sense. Apparently they wanted to use the Spencer Tiara's (then why ask BP) when the Queen begged them not to it was changed to the another, Meghan's veil was even changed to match the tiara. But Angela Kelly didn't answer Harry message and then went she appeared treated them with distain. After they had spoken to a few people - all obstacles were cleared out - Harry notes that the Bureaucracy lifted as if had never been there and they were given the tiara. It is noted that there was never Queen involvement or that he never said "what Meghan wants, Meghann gets".
I still don't understand about wanting to wear the Spencer tiara - they have no right to it, and that has nothing to do with the Queen - it is Charles Spencer's. But he gives the impression that it is there waiting.

I just read that Harry’s sisters asked if Meghan wanted it…but it’s not theirs. The Queen offered ones. Which she did for her Wales and York grandchildren because there were no mothers to lend. Zara and Autumn both borrowed from Princess Anne’s collection.

I don’t think I believe it…sounds like everything else. A piece of conversation.

Some of his claims are just bizarre. Charles and Camilla wanted Catherine to change her name to Katherine so that there wouldm't be three senior royals whose names all began with C?! What on earth?!

Apparently the rationale was that too many senior royals whose names begin with 'C' would create complications in the design of royal monograms, or at least that is what is apparently argued in the book. I haven't seen the original text.

I think it's the first time we've heard that there was definitely an emerald tiara amongst the choices offered by HMQ. I think that's interesting because the story in the press was that Meghan wanted an emerald tiara but was told she couldn't have it as it had a dodgy history.

Apparently the rationale was that too many senior royals whose names begin with 'C' would create complications in the design of royal monograms, or at least that is what is apparently argued in the book. I haven't seen the original text.

So generations of George’s and Elizabeth and her mother with the same name, not to mention Queen Mary and Princess Margaret.

It seems Harry has admitted to a crime in the book at California sheriff's might be called in to investigate.
Apparently Harry and Meghan were allowed to take the miscarriage home with them and buried it in California. Taken any human remains is legal - burying human remains on private property not zoned as a cemetery is illegal.

Did Diana not help a friend once to do the same with het stillborn baby? Rosa Monckton was the name of the friend IIRC.

Did Diana not help a friend once to do the same with het stillborn baby? Rosa Monckton was the name of the friend IIRC.
It's not illegal here. The Romseys buried their daughter in the grounds of Broadlands.

I think it is made up - it talks of them taken the package and buying it under Bunyan trees. Which the internet tells me are only native to Florida - so unless this child was buried in Florida, a personal greenhouse or a Botanical Garden it doesn't make sense.
If it is in the book - police will get involve. Hospital is not allowed providing human remains and you are not allowed to just bury human remains.
I am told that there is a request about which hospital nurse provided Harry with the laughing gas - that person, if it is true - will also be charged.

I think it is made up - it talks of them taken the package and buying it under Bunyan trees. Which the internet tells me are only native to Florida - so unless this child was buried in Florida, a personal greenhouse or a Botanical Garden it doesn't make sense.
If it is in the book - police will get involve. Hospital is not allowed providing human remains and you are not allowed to just bury human remains.
I am told that there is a request about which hospital nurse provided Harry with the laughing gas - that person, if it is true - will also be charged.

Portland. I am sure she didn’t give to him. He was obviously partaking. Makes you high as a kite if used to excess. He shouldn’t have been using it.

Just because it’s native doesn’t mean that’s the only place it grows.

What laughing gas? Could you elaborate please?

Gas and air is commonly giving to women in labour in UK to manage pain. When you see labour in British films and them breathing in that’s it. It has nitrous oxide in it. He claims he was breathing it in while she was in labour. I’d kill him.

When King Edward VIII abdicated in 1936, he was cut off from the Civil List. Instead, he negotiated a deal with his brother, King George VI, to receive £25,000 a year ($1.4 million a year adjusted for inflation.)

Still, at the time of his death in 1972, the Duke of Windsor left behind a fortune worth nearly $2.5 million—$17.7 million today— plus a fourteen room 19th C mansion in the Bois de Boulogne (Paris).
But that’s what I said in summary, but the difference is that the DOW was a King, Harry isn’t anywhere close to being King to get a stipend or payoff. The Sussexes stopped receiving money from Charles sometime of June/July 2021 so why would they give any money? Plus the Duke of Windsor was renting his Paris townhouse at a very modest rent from the city unlike Harry whose Montecito home has a large mortgage on it.

Diana did, yes. The remains were buried in the garden at Kensington Palace, in the spring of 1994. Diana apparently told the security guards they were burying a pet. She also gave Rosa a key to the garden, which she still had as of 2017, when she was interviewed about the event.

That is really odd. :ermm: What about the number of royals whose names begin with "E": Elizabeth and the two Edwards? (Eugenie too but she's not a working royal.)

1) I think you mean banyan, not Bunyan - and various species of the tree are native to India (the national tree), most of South and East Asia, Oceania, Central America, most of South America, the Caribbean and Florida... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banyan

2) There are plenty of trees & plants which are native to one part of the world yet grow in other parts of the world after specimens are brought there. I don't think it's nonsensical that there are banyan trees on the grounds of their Montecito estate.

That's exactly what he meant. This topic was analyzed ad nauseam during the whole Sussex royal fail - they wanted to give up the money they received from the Sovereign Grand (around 5%) and didn't mention money from (then prince) King Charles (covered 95%).
Definitely. Perfectly said, they thought the 5 percent from the sovereign grant was so little and that they could get away with Charles paying them secretly under the counter so no one would notice. What they didn’t think carefully about was the Duchy money wasn’t just a free lunch, but tied to their position as working royals. They probably didn’t discuss with Charles prior to the Instagram plans either.

But that’s what I said in summary, but the difference is that the DOW was a King, Harry isn’t anywhere close to being King to get a stipend or payoff. The Sussexes stopped receiving money from Charles sometime of June/July 2021 so why would they give any money? Plus the Duke of Windsor was renting his Paris townhouse at a very modest rent from the city unlike Harry whose Montecito home has a large mortgage on it.

There is another difference. Sandringham and Balmoral were privately owned by the Duke of Windsor and not held in trust by the King in right of the Crown. They would not go automatically to George VI when he became King and it was reasonable that the Duke should receive compensation for transferring ownership of the private estates to his brother.

yep - understand. But still illegal - if it happened.

That is really odd. :ermm: What about the number of royals whose names begin with "E": Elizabeth and the two Edwards? (Eugenie too but she's not a working royal.)

I wonder if some of the anecdotes that Harry feels the need to 'reveal' are actually said jokingly by the other person.
If a C was a problem, William and Kate (Cate?) wouldn't have named their daughter Charlotte :flowers:

From a lot of the stuff that he's releasing to the world, Harry seems like a person who only understands humor when he is the one making the joke..

Honestly I think it is probably easier if they had the same letter since you don't really have to change much other then the style of the image.

I do wonder as someone above stuff that was said in a joking way or in jest Harry seems to take seriously.

I mean the amount of people currently in the family with the same letter in their first name is quite a few.

Last edited:

Apparently (but maybe we'll get the full context at some point)
- When Meghan was in labour (Archie's birth) Harry used some of the laughing gas (that was intended as 'painkiller' for her) himself to calm his nerves
- At Lily's birth he felt a lot calmer and helped deliver his daughter "When the doctor said it was a question of minutes, I told Meg the first thing I wanted was for the little baby to see my face. We knew it would be a girl. She agreed and pressed my hand"

It's no big deal to have a slug of the gas and air. At each of my children's births, my husband helped himself to the gas several times, which gave us both a fit of the giggles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom