"Spare" memoir by the Duke of Sussex (2023)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He brought Chelsy in? For real?

What's his excuse for this? Surely it can't be evil Chelsy leaking stories to the press?

If so, he's even more spiteful and vengeful than I thought. Chelsy didn't want him, so he'll let the whole world know that the Queen didn't like her. (I suppose she doted on beautiful, intelligent Meghan, though. She might have leaked the stories how she adored Megs herself because she couldn't not adore her.)

Honestly, I doubt Chelsy's reluctance to enter the RF was the only reason she didn't want to marry him. A part of it - a rather big part of it - would be that she spent enough time with him to know the real him.

He brought Chelsy in? For real?

What's his excuse for this? Surely it can't be evil Chelsy leaking stories to the press?

If so, he's even more spiteful and vengeful than I thought. Chelsy didn't want him, so he'll let the whole world know that the Queen didn't like her. (I suppose she doted on beautiful, intelligent Meghan, though. She might have leaked the stories how she adored Megs herself because she couldn't not adore her.)

Honestly, I doubt Chelsy's reluctance to enter the RF was the only reason she didn't want to marry him. A part of it - a rather big part of it - would be that she spent enough time with him to know the real him.

Well if he could leave the family for Meghan why did he not leave it for Chelsea if he loved her that much.

Well if he could leave the family for Meghan why did he not leave it for Chelsea if he loved her that much.
He was quick to say he wasn't sure Chelsy was "the one", as far as I can see. So he wouldn't be the only one dumped.

Anyway, it's hard to leave one's family for someone if this someone doesn't want you, I think. And Harry seems keen on showing why, exactly, Chelsy might not have been eager to became Chelsy Mountbatten-Windsor.

She wouldn't have needed to watch enviously Catherine's accommodations, that's for sure.

Instead we'd be told this was more of Meghan's demanding, diva behavior. We'd hear constant repeats of "what Meghan wants, Meghan gets" and how this is proof she thinks everything is about her. We'd hear people aghast she doesn't know her place, that she ruined things for the bride by trying to control the wedding. Heck, some corners might call it evidence of her being a bully, saying she tried to bully the poor bride into changing her designs.

Now, I agree with Curbside here, Kate probably overstepped her bounds by pushing the issue and realized it, hence the apology. That doesn't make her a bad person, because frankly we all do it. She made a mistake and corrected it by apologizing. It's even fine if you don't believe the Sussex's account of the situation. Personally, I think it rings true, but if you don't then agree to disagree. What frustrates me is knowing that there is a double standard here, that if someone relayed the same story about Meghan being dissatisfied with Lili's dress there would be very different framing.

But Catherine doesn't have a demanding diva reputation or bullying allegations. If she did, those would be used against her, too.

Reputation gets made through a person's own behavior and generally, multiple instances, not just one occasion. Andrew committed social seppuku not by one incredibly tone-deaf interview but by everything people knew and had heard before that.

As people have said — and many of them will tell you themselves — a lot more people here used to excuse the Sussexes before years of the same behavior, not rumors.

"Spare" memoir by the Duke of Sussex (2023)

I’m reading that Harry wrote that Charles still carries a childhood teddy bear around due to past trauma (bullying- I think). This is so wrong. And not his story to tell. Period.

On a much much more minor note- he whines about the smaller size of his bedroom at Balmoral- because he’s just the Spare. Lots of whining about being the spare. The book appears aptly titled.

Talks about how William no longer looks like their mother due to losing his hair. With what appears to be a nasty tone.

Talks about the private meeting HE asked for after Philip died- and is now talking about it.

What is wrong with him?

https://archive.ph/2023.01.05-21110...ntly-enraged-William-merely-existing-has.html

Last edited:
Because he believes his family were feeding disparaging stories about him and his wife to the media before he left. I'm not in any camp here but that's why he said he did it and I don't think either side are wholly innocent in this saga.

Perhaps things were being fed to the media, but NOTHING as personal as the brothers' penises.

I need to go to bed I cannot cope with this any longer. I understand people wish to defend his actions and his reasons but he is a contradiction of everything he has ever said he was.
Night night God Bless, I hope Harry can sleep easy.

I'm sorry, but can we all acknowledge that if Meghan had acted the way she claims Kate acted the corners arguing Kate was in the right to argue about the dresses to protect the royal children from bad press about their outfits and "save" the wedding from the bride making it look "sloppy" would not be made.

If, hypothetically, a similarly sized and televised wedding happened for a member of the royal family that involved Lili (I know no royals who get media coverage are of the right age to be wed, but imagine) and a report leaked that Meghan got into an argument with the bride about Lili's attire (possibly leaving the bride in tears), would people say Meghan was trying to make sure Lili was looking her best or defend her right to "save" the wedding from bad tailoring? I doubt it.

Instead we'd be told this was more of Meghan's demanding, diva behavior. We'd hear constant repeats of "what Meghan wants, Meghan gets" and how this is proof she thinks everything is about her. We'd hear people aghast she doesn't know her place, that she ruined things for the bride by trying to control the wedding. Heck, some corners might call it evidence of her being a bully, saying she tried to bully the poor bride into changing her designs.

Now, I agree with Curbside here, Kate probably overstepped her bounds by pushing the issue and realized it, hence the apology. That doesn't make her a bad person, because frankly we all do it. She made a mistake and corrected it by apologizing. It's even fine if you don't believe the Sussex's account of the situation. Personally, I think it rings true, but if you don't then agree to disagree. What frustrates me is knowing that there is a double standard here, that if someone relayed the same story about Meghan being dissatisfied with Lili's dress there would be very different framing.
I don’t believe that if the roles were reversed that people would blame Meghan. But to be fair, Meghan was new to royal life and didn’t really know anyone and her interactions with most of her staff were out of line and rude so it doesn’t matter if the roles were reversed. The point was that rudeness from anyone is not an excuse. How did Kate overstep bounds? Her child was part of the young bridesmaids so of course she will be concerned about the clothes (anyone would royal or not). What is the double standard? I think it was more about the way Meghan responded than some mysterious bias. The reverse scenario you are giving doesn’t matter because it didn’t happen and given the the fact that they aren’t close to the core working royals, I don’t see any chance of Meghan’s daughter being part of a bridal party of an important royal and the extended members will hardly be noticed by the time Lili would be old enough to be part of a bridal party. You are trying to justify the unjustifiable

I’m reading that Harry wrote that Charles still carries a childhood teddy bear around due to past trauma (bullying- I think). This is so wrong. And not his story to tell. Period.

On a much much more minor note- he whines about the smaller size of his bedroom at Balmoral- because he’s just the Spare. Lots of whining about being the spare. The book appears aptly titled.

Talks about how William no longer looks like their mother due to losing his hair. With what appears to be a nasty tone.

Talks about the private meeting HE asked for after Philip died- and is now talking about it.

What is wrong with him?

https://archive.ph/2023.01.05-21110...ntly-enraged-William-merely-existing-has.html
I saw this and I’m just thinking, look who’s talking, you literally have bald patches in your hair and don’t have long till you have little hair on your head like a Friar or monk so please look in the mirror before talking. This part is the weird obsession with Diana, he does realize they have the same mother, right? So childish and stupid. Plus William is a man, why would he be obsessed with looking like his mum? She obviously gave birth to two sons not to two girls, so what’s all this?

Talking about Charles carrying a teddy, please. What’s more embarrassing is you revealing your first sexual ex escapade with a woman probably close in age to your mum if she was alive when you were 17. He definitely had mummy issues then and still has it now, and has a new mummy now (Meghan).

And Camilla taking your “former bedroom at Clarence House”. Please what a child. Grow up. He was never going to live there forever and his kids won’t ever live there even if he was a working royal so what is the issue. This man has two young children and bills to pay and he’s bothered about an old bedroom when he got to live in a new property before and after marriage.:ermm: This is low budget. Plus the Balmoral issue, he doesn’t live there full time and wouldn’t be living there full time so.....

But Catherine doesn't have a demanding diva reputation or bullying allegations. If she did, those would be used against her, too.

Reputation gets made through a person's own behavior and generally, multiple instances, not just one occasion. Andrew committed social seppuku not by one incredibly tone-deaf interview but by everything people knew and had heard before that.

As people have said — and many of them will tell you themselves — a lot more people here used to excuse the Sussexes before years of the same behavior, not rumors.
You couldn’t have said it better. So perfect and to the point. What’s not to get that Kate hasn’t been labeled a diva ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Harry also discusses when he found out Meghan was pregnant.

He revealed that he fell asleep while his wife was taking the tests. When he woke up, the Bench author had placed the wands on the nightstand next to the “blue box with my mother’s hair.”

The duke felt his late mother, Princess Diana, beside him in that moment. “Let’s see what Mummy can do with this situation,” he wrote, before seeing that the tests were bright blue. “I thought: Thank you, Mummy.” (Harry’s blue box is one of a few things that he keeps on his nightstand.)

Source

What an odd story. Though the book may provide more of a context this part leaves so many questions. How long do these tests take? And isn't it supposed to be exiting? How could anybody fall asleep in such a situation? As I am not a great believer in mediums and ghosts the other part is odd to me too, but I understand that some people will feel they have different experiences with these kind of things.

What an odd story. Though the book may provide more of a context this part leaves so many questions. How long do these tests take? And isn't it supposed to be exiting? How could anybody fall asleep in such a situation?

They take just a few minutes. Now that you mention it, that's a detail I'll have to look for when I read the book, because it doesn't make sense.

Talking about Charles carrying a teddy, please. What’s more embarrassing is you revealing your first sexual ex escapade with a woman probably close in age to your mum if she was alive when you were 17. He definitely had mummy issues then and still has it now, and has a new mummy now (Meghan).

I don't think that a young man who keeps a box of his deceased mother's hair on his nightstand is in any position to talk about comfort toys.

HRHHermione said:
They take just a few minutes. Now that you mention it, that's a detail I'll have to look for when I read the book, because it doesn't make sense.

Not at all. And wouldn't you wake up your partner for news like this?

Anyway, not the most bizarre story of the day. At some parts it felt more like reading the Onion than an actual report.

Some news articles got confirmed. The Balmoral drama for example - which I never believed until now. And the same for tiara-gate. Lacey was right that Meghan had initially chosen Empress Maria Feodorovna's emerald tiara, which was later withdrawn due to its connection to 'scandal'. A pity as I would have loved to see it.

The new interviews are going to be interesting, now the reporters will have all these new details to ask about - including his private parts. The pre-recorded ones may feel like a bit of a let down. Now everything is already out in the open it may feel a bit like serving the mustard after the dinner.

Last edited:
Somebody needs to stage an intervention for Harry , he's clearly unwell .

I think maybe that that is why he hates the family. Looks like they were trying. First rule when you go to AA for family members…let go. Don’t t rescue. Don’t enable.

Lacey was right that Meghan had initially chosen Empress Maria Feodorovna's emerald tiara, which was later withdrawn due to its connection to 'scandal'. A pity as I would have loved to see it.

Wait..what? Which tiara is this? Are you talking about the one with the bows? Because I thought that one had been lost.

Not at all. And wouldn't you wake up your partner for news like this?

Anyway, not the most bizarre story of the day. At some parts it felt more like reading the Union than an actual report.

Some news articles got confirmed. The Balmoral drama for example - which I never believed until now. And the same for tiara-gate. Lacey was right that Meghan had initially chosen Empress Maria Feodorovna's emerald tiara, which was later withdrawn due to its connection to 'scandal'. A pity as I would have loved to see it.

The new interviews are going to be interesting, now the reporters will have all these new details to ask about - including his private parts.

I also didn't believe the Balmoral drama. Nor did I believe rumors that Meghan had considered wearing the Spencer tiara, but that's included as well- that the Queen begged them to use her personal collection instead of Diana's tiara. (I supposed they could have wanted the lover's knot, but that was already being used by Catherine)

No reporter could ever have hoped for this many scoops.

Last edited:
Wait..what? Which tiara is this? Are you talking about the one with the bows? Because I thought that one had been lost.

I thought Pagesix was talking about the sapphire bandeau, which I love. I had assumed that -if there was to be any truth in the story- Lacey must have been wrong in identifying it as an emerald tiara (as I have just done) and it was in fact Empress Marie's bandeau that was not available. But apparently there is another tiara with emeralds.

AT least that is what pagesix is talking about, while quoting the book: https://pagesix.com/2023/01/05/prince-harry-talks-meghan-markles-wedding-tiara-drama-in-spare/

HRHHermione said:
I also didn't believe the Balmoral drama. Nor did I believe rumors that Meghan had considered wearing the Spencer tiara, but that's included as well- that the Queen begged them to use her personal collection instead of Diana's tiara. (I supposed they could have wanted the lover's knot, but that was already being used by Catherine)

I missed the part about the Spencer tiara and the Lovers Knot completely.

As for Balmoral: apart from the discussion with his father he also confirms that he got to know the news by the press. Something that leaked at the time and that seemed so detailed that I thought it must be false too.

He apparently also reveals the words that he whispered to her after he arrived to Balmoral and she had already died.

Last edited:
The new interviews are going to be interesting, now the reporters will have all these new details to ask about - including his private parts. The pre-recorded ones may feel like a bit of a let down. Now everything is already out in the open it may feel a bit like serving the mustard after the dinner.

You bring up an interesting point, did Anderson Cooper actually interview Harry without reading the book first? If he did, he's going to look like an idiot not asking about all these stories. I wonder if 60 Minutes will pull the segment.

Has no one made the "spare us these details" pun today? Because if not, I will.

I don’t believe that if the roles were reversed that people would blame Meghan. But to be fair, Meghan was new to royal life and didn’t really know anyone and her interactions with most of her staff were out of line and rude so it doesn’t matter if the roles were reversed. The point was that rudeness from anyone is not an excuse. How did Kate overstep bounds? Her child was part of the young bridesmaids so of course she will be concerned about the clothes (anyone would royal or not). What is the double standard? I think it was more about the way Meghan responded than some mysterious bias. The reverse scenario you are giving doesn’t matter because it didn’t happen and given the the fact that they aren’t close to the core working royals, I don’t see any chance of Meghan’s daughter being part of a bridal party of an important royal and the extended members will hardly be noticed by the time Lili would be old enough to be part of a bridal party. You are trying to justify the unjustifiable

Kate overstepped by going back and forth over the issue of the BM dresses. Once Meghan said she wasn’t going to have the dresses remade, at that point, Catherine needed to stop pushing it. This was a few days before the wedding, and I’m just glad Catherine eventually decided that it wasn’t a hill worth dying on.

I don't think that a young man who keeps a box of his deceased mother's hair on his nightstand is in any position to talk about comfort toys.
If he thought he was embarrassing his father, he couldn’t be more wrong. And how weird to be keeping bits of his dead mum’s hair and people now dislike when Victorians would have lockets with hairs in the pendant and bracelets made of hair. So it seems, Harry is a one of a kind. It’s not a therapist he’s been seeing but a medium! It makes sense

I missed the part about the Spencer tiara and the Lovers Knot completely.

It's in the first paragraph and easy to miss: In his forthcoming memoir, “Spare,” Prince Harry wrote that while he and Markle were “touched” by the idea of the duchess donning one of Princess Diana’s tiaras on the big day, Queen Elizabeth II begged them to select something from her private collection of jewelry at Buckingham Palace instead.

Those are the only two they could have meant as they're the only tiaras she ever wore.

Kate overstepped by going back and forth over the issue of the BM dresses. Once Meghan said she wasn’t going to have the dresses remade, at that point, Catherine needed to stop pushing it. This was a few days before the wedding, and I’m just glad Catherine eventually decided that it wasn’t a hill worth dying on.
I’m not going back and forth over this. You can have your opinion (whatever that means) all you want. Plus this revelation doesn’t improve Meghan’s image in any way.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO the couple will keep going, this has been the pattern from the very beginning, continual drip feeding to keep themselves relevant.
The unsaid threats about what they could reveal, via their 'friends'.
It smacks of frustration on his part that he is not getting what he wants so he is going down this road
I am not sure what they want from the family, maybe money, maybe the HIHO.
Each interview/ article/ programme drops a little titbit, not enough to cause a reaction from BP but it is obviously what they want.
There will be family secrets that Harry knows and BP do not want out in the public domain, he is letting them know he could and would reveal all, if he has not already done so in this book.
He is bound to talk about his mother, he has never stopped since he left the family.

It is the irony that he has harped on for years about stuff going out that shouldn't have and now he is the carrier of the tales. I do think he will regret this in the long run.

It is all so sad.
I wonder if someone else he respects (and of course I don’t know who that may be) could help him see that he needs to put an end to this. A therapist he used to see? One of Diana’s sisters? Someone like Zara or Peter? I just don’t know but perhaps someone besides his wife has his ear.

No reporter could ever have hoped for this many scoops.
Well Harold (his government name) has provided us all the tea in one sitting. This is the beginning of the end for the Markles of Montecito.

The Crown is probably thinking shoot we should have done the real stuff it is better then our fiction

Well Harold (his government name) has provided us all the tea in one sitting. This is the beginning of the end for the Markles of Montecito.
Here is the scary thought... what if this is only the tip of the iceberg? So far, it doesn't sound like he's gone after his grandparents too hard. Imagine a follow-up memoir...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom