"Spare" memoir by the Duke of Sussex (2023)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, King Willem Alexander didn’t mind meeting Harry, having a long and amiable chat and with photos taken together at the last Invictus Games in the Netherlands, so if Harry is ‘damaged: other royals, even a King, don’t seem to mind.

Not to mention being received by Presidents in Africa last year while undertaking various projects like Parks and Wildlife and tourism.

Last edited:
Here is a quote from Newsweek, an American newsmagazine, a small part of an article below about how American opinion has changed about Harry since Spare has been released. The article is about how his attack on the RF has “backfired spectacularly.”

https://[I[/I]www.newsweek.com/prince-harry-attack-royal-family-backfired-spectacularly-book-spare-poll-1775062

”The royal reporting world was braced for Harry to throw hand grenades at his family, and certainly at the media, but what no one was ready for was how much focus would fall on his penis.

The reason was a segment in his book in which he described how he had applied Princess Diana's favored Elizabeth Arden lip cream to his frost-bitten "south pole," which was bizarre enough that some needed reassurance it was not fake.

Clips of Harry's audio book narration of this moment—complete with the detail that his mother's memory wafted back to him—went viral on social media, with one Twitter user describing it as a "Freudian nightmare." The prince may live to regret narrating the audio book himself.”I][/I]

Well sales of the Elizabeth Arden lip cream has gone up about 300% so a lot of customers are taking notice, and in a good humoured sort of way. I truly do not believe that this story will have a terrible long lasting effect, especially on younger people. Give it six months and then we’ll see.

Well sales of the Elizabeth Arden lip cream has gone up about 300% so a lot of customers are taking notice, and in a good humoured sort of way. I truly do not believe that this story will have a terrible long lasting effect, especially on younger people. Give it six months and then we’ll see.

Of course it has, and anything affordable would go the same route. That’s not disputable, everything royals use sells. I bought the lip gloss Kate uses and wasn’t keen to lend. I suspect those who bought the cream did so because Diana used it. I hope there are not that many frostnipped penises around.
It’s not about that. It’s about how low he’s going to go for his two suspected goals: making money (he doesn’t from this cream) and attacking his family.

Exactly!! Things have changed now!

As we have seen, they didn’t attend Obama’s big party or any White House correspondents dinner or any big events.

Harry and his wife are what Hollywood refer to “damaged goods” at this points!

More than anything they have proven they canttbe trusted. If you sell your family out for money, you will sell out celebrities you don't know.

Royalist in NC Newsweek writing about the fallout surprised me. They are quite reputable. But Katie Courics editorial was amazing. She called out The Duo and journalist for not doing their jobs.

@Ghost There are stories floating around that make it appear The Duo is not happy that the RF aren't responding to their attacks. I suspect he will go much lower to try and get his way. But there are people comparing their stories and putting together the discrepancies. Has anyone who read the book heard that the story of how they met has changed? I wanted Tom Bowers book, but it's not in my library. ��

Last edited:
Of course it has, and anything affordable would go the same route. That’s not disputable, everything royals use sells. I bought the lip gloss Kate uses and wasn’t keen to lend. I suspect those who bought the cream did so because Diana used it. I hope there are not that many frostnipped penises around.
It’s not about that. It’s about how low he’s going to go for his two suspected goals: making money (he doesn’t from this cream) and attacking his family.

ugh, i would have said that the mention of the cream in that weird context would be enough to put women off from using it.

More than anything they have proven they canttbe trusted. If you sell your family out for money, you will sell out celebrities you don't know.
I think they'll have superficial friendships wiht celebs who know what the game is about, and that they are not to be trusted very far. but their own family, and people like politicans will be much more wary of them because they dont know what to expect or what private convesations or texts will be kept and used when it suits them

Well, King Willem Alexander didn’t mind meeting Harry, having a long and amiable chat and with photos taken together at the last Invictus Games in the Netherlands, so if Harry is ‘damaged: other royals, even a King, don’t seem to mind.

Not to mention being received by Presidents in Africa last year while undertaking various projects like Parks and Wildlife and tourism.

that was before the Tell all.. and people may be seen with him in public at times. but it does not mean that they'll trust them very far.

that was before the Tell all.. and people may be seen with him in public at times. but it does not mean that they'll trust them very far.

Yes, but it was after the Oprah interview and the Apple series. British newspapers were trumpeting for a week that none of the Dutch royals would deign to be seen with Harry and there was King W-A perfectly relaxed and fine about it.

Yes, but it was after the Oprah interview and the Apple series. British newspapers were trumpeting for a week that none of the Dutch royals would deign to be seen with Harry and there was King W-A perfectly relaxed and fine about it.

I still question how close people will want to be with them as they have shown they will divulge private conversations and text messages.

There is a difference between photo opportunities or public duty and becoming close friends.

The Invictus games were in the Netherlands , of course the King or at least a high ranking royal was going to attend and be friendly and amicable.

I still question how close people will want to be with them as they have shown they will divulge private conversations and text messages.

There is a difference between photo opportunities or public duty and becoming close friends.

The Invictus games were in the Netherlands , of course the King or at least a high ranking royal was going to attend and be friendly and amicable.
And, again, Invictus is a cooperation between ministeries of defence. It’s at government level, not charity level. As much as Harry has been indulged in Netherland (and Dusseldorf), it’s because invictus is a cooperation between governments. We’ll see how much he’s going to be able to stay with Invictus after his horrific chess pieces comment.

I can definitely see some being cautious because Harry disclosed information about his own family, but I think that sharing that he did partook of illegal hallucinogenics at a well-known actress' home may have repercussions in terms of social access. I am not saying that all doors are closed, but I think it will give some pause.

I can definitely see some being cautious because Harry disclosed information about his own family, but I think that sharing that he did partook of illegal hallucinogenics at a well-known actress' home may have repercussions in terms of social access. I am not saying that all doors are closed, but I think it will give some pause.

Yes Im rather shocked by that. Not saying that everyone who takes drugs is bad, but I thought that Courtenay C was someone with a settled life and a child and Im shocked that she had illegal hallucinogenics in her fridge.. but if its true, I think it is very unpleasant of Harry to put something like that in his book. Why? There was no reason for it surely? If he wanted to say that he was doing drugs, he could just say it without involving friends and letting the world know what they were doing.
so if He can do that so casually, just rattle on about a friend and reveal the secrets of her life so easily, I really cant see politiicans or even royals wanting to talk to him much. THey may meet him at public events, they may have a polite conversation but I think they will be wary of what they say to him

I agree. I definitely wouldn't want to be in the company of people who were known for documenting the words and actions of those around them in order to repeat those incidents to a global audience in exchange for money. It's different if the people concerned have given permission but we know that many of the events in 'Spare' are exposed without any thought or respect for those involved. I can imagine people giving Harry and Meghan a wide berth at any events they attend, for fear of their encounter being repeated in an unflattering or even spiteful manner.

I am sure that Courtenay cox didnt expect Harry to chatteron about her having magic mushrooms in her fridge.

Royalist in NC Newsweek writing about the fallout surprised me. They are quite reputable. But Katie Courics editorial was amazing. She called out The Duo and journalist for not doing their jobs.

@ghost There are stories floating around that make it appear The Duo is not happy that the RF aren't responding to their attacks. I suspect he will go much lower to try and get his way. But there are people comparing their stories and putting together the discrepancies. Has anyone who read the book heard that the story of how they met has changed? I wanted Tom Bowers book, but it's not in my library. ��
Thanks for letting us know about the article on Katie Couric’s site! Here is one about what the media should be asking Harry.

https://katiecouric.com/culture/what-the-media-should-ask-prince-harry/

And here is another where Katie has three different journalists weighing in:
https://katiecouric.com/culture/opinion/prince-harry-spare-memoir-reactions-reviews/

I particularly liked the first article as the writer lists all the questions a “Barbara Walter’s style interviewer” should have asked. It is a great summary of most of the inconsistencies and things we’ve been discussing.:flowers:

After what CC went through with her ex-husband, I don't think she (or her friends, she has a lot of powerful friends) would appreciate having her possession of illegal substances in the home where her child lives being broadcast to the world. I don't think there's a chance she gave her okay for that to be included.

That's the kind of oversharing that gets people in trouble. If her ex wanted to make a big deal about it he could question her fitness as a mother. You just don't share things like that. As someone else said, there's no reason for it. Harry was just trying to make himself look "cool" at the expense of others. The crowd (Hollywood elite) that he and Meghan are trying to run with won't put up with it, discretion is very important even if you're not royalty.

And I also don't think it was any kind of signal of confidence that WA met with Harry during Invictus. It's what royals do, it would have caused a scene if they hadn't met. I doubt seriously they spent much if any private time together.

After what CC went through with her ex-husband, I don't think she (or her friends, she has a lot of powerful friends) would appreciate having her possession of illegal substances in the home where her child lives being broadcast to the world. I don't think there's a chance she gave her okay for that to be included.

That's the kind of oversharing that gets people in trouble. If her ex wanted to make a big deal about it he could question her fitness as a mother. You just don't share things like that. As someone else said, there's no reason for it. Harry was just trying to make himself look "cool" at the expense of others. The crowd (Hollywood elite) that he and Meghan are trying to run with won't put up with it, discretion is very important even if you're not royalty.

And I also don't think it was any kind of signal of confidence that WA met with Harry during Invictus. It's what royals do, it would have caused a scene if they hadn't met. I doubt seriously they spent much if any private time together.
You are right about his not understanding discretion. Perhaps because the palace obviously covered up for him so many times, he hasn’t had to think about consequences. Well, no one can clean up the consequences of this dumpster fire of oversharing:nonono:

Thanks for letting us know about the article on Katie Couric’s site! Here is one about what the media should be asking Harry.

https://katiecouric.com/culture/what-the-media-should-ask-prince-harry/

And here is another where Katie has three different journalists weighing in:

https://katiecouric.com/culture/opinion/prince-harry-spare-memoir-reactions-reviews/

I particularly liked the first article as the writer lists all the questions a “Barbara Walter’s style interviewer” should have asked. It is a great summary of most of the inconsistencies and things we’ve been discussing.:flowers:

These are both excellent reads.

Those are EXACTLY the kinds of questions both Harry and Meghan should be asked.

I particularly liked this part- Harry seems to be trying to have the last word- at any cost. Indeed. So does Meghan.

Has anyone read J Moehringer's biography on Andre Agassi, that he received so much praise for ? I read somewhere that it was basically the gold standard for biographies.

But this Harry book ? To me it doesn't enhance Harry's image. I think it was supposed to enlighten us "from the Prince he was born to the Man he has become".

Salacious tales about losing his virginity in a field, while comparing himself to a stallion ? Name dropping a famous actress in recounting " tripping " illegal drugs in her home where he talked to a toilet ? Why ? Why mention THAT or her at all ? Sounds like some a 13 year old would do ? Its bragging to seem cool. Not a good look Harry. Doesn't he realize OR care that She will care be asked about it on the talk show circuit ?

Same as the Freudian elements to applying the Elizabeth Arden "cream" on his private parts and his Mother "being in the room".
But I found the worst to be his blase comments about The Taliban and removing them as "chess pieces" off the board to be the most problematic. That could come back to haunt him.....or others.

His fearless recounting of private conversations and actions, not caring who gets hurt, his unending grievances against his Family AND the general bitterness of the Book just struck Me as so juvenile.

He sees his wife as magical ? And Seals recognize it too ? His mother's hair in a box beside his bed aids in the pregnancy of his first Child. How did these nutty observations make it in ?

Harry wants to be viewed as a figure of importance, dignity and gravitas. In Humanitarian ventures, especially in Mental Health and disabled Veteran issues.
To Me the Book shredded that.

All in all, I don't think the author had much liking or respect for Harry.

Last edited:
Has anyone read J Moehringer's biography on Andre Agassi, that he received so much praise for ? I read somewhere that it was basically the gold standard for biographies.

But this Harry book ? To me it doesn't enhance Harry's image. I think it was supposed to enlighten us "from the Prince he was born to the Man he has become".

Salacious tales about losing his virginity in a field, while comparing himself to a stallion ? Name dropping a famous actress in recounting " tripping " illegal drugs in her home where he talked to a toilet ? Why ? Why mention THAT or her at all ? Sounds like some a 13 year old would do ? Its bragging to seem cool. Not a good look Harry. Doesn't he realize OR care that She will care be asked about it on the talk show circuit ?

Same as the Freudian elements to applying the Elizabeth Arden "cream" on his private parts and his Mother "being in the room".
But I found the worst to be his blase comments about The Taliban and removing them as "chess pieces" off the board to be the most problematic. That could come back to haunt him.....or others.

His fearless recounting of private conversations and actions, not caring who gets hurt, his unending grievances against his Family AND the general bitterness of the Book just struck Me as so juvenile.

He sees his wife as magical ? And Seals recognize it too ? His mother's hair in a box beside his bed aids in the pregnancy of his first Child. How did these nutty observations make it in ?

Harry wants to be viewed as a figure of importance, dignity and gravitas. In Humanitarian ventures, especially in Mental Health and disabled Veteran issues.
To Me the Book shredded that.

All in all, I don't think the author had much liking or respect for Harry.
You know, Granada, I’ve wondered about this too. The ghostwriter (I can’t remember how to spell his name) was highly praised for the Agassi book (gold standard) and the new movie with Ben Affleck about the writer’s childhood based on his book is also getting good reviews.

So I’m wondering too if the ghostwriter had to fulfill his contract - and who knows, he might have advised Harry against some of these juvenile details- but the ghostwriter didn’t have much respect for Harry.

I know the publisher wanted “dirt” for the kind of money they paid him and they only care about the $$$ not his reputation. But he could have still provided this without all the TMI details. However, his bitterness and jealousy are so apparent, I don’t see how the ghostwriter could have taken that out. I am waiting for Harry to blame the ghostwriter and/or publisher.:whistling:

Y

I know the publisher wanted “dirt” for the kind of money they paid him and they only care about the $$$ not his reputation. But he could have still provided this without all the TMI details. However, his bitterness and jealousy are so apparent, I don’t see how the ghostwriter could have taken that out. I am waiting for Harry to blame the ghostwriter and/or publisher.:whistling:

Ive never worked with a ghostwriter, but I suspect they dont have much say in what is written . If the person they are writing for gives TMI or sounds really stupid or nasty, the writer is stuck with that, unless the person being written for is willing to cooperate and modify the writing. I would guess that the publishers, as you say want a book that is full of dirt and scandal and they dont really care provided the book sells and attracts notice.

I'm not sure that it did Andre Agassi much good to admit that he took drugs whilst on the professional tennis tour, and IIRC he lied about a medical exemption. The book might be good, but it didn't do much for Agassi's reputation. Scandal sells!

I'm not sure that it did Andre Agassi much good to admit that he took drugs whilst on the professional tennis tour, and IIRC he lied about a medical exemption. The book might be good, but it didn't do much for Agassi's reputation. Scandal sells!

I thibk a lot that did for Agassi was that he married Steffi Graf. I meannin fairness no-one was going to think badly of him for long.

well if these things are true, and he wrote an autobiography they may well be things he had to admit to, or someone else would have brought them up. everyone has some things that they did wrong and iwthin reason it is probalby best to admit to them and try and spin them the best way you can.

An old review that I'm not sure if it made it here, but it's enjoyable: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-64223264

So who will be most upset about all these revelations in his book?

Netflix mostly. They paid a prince's ransom for six hours of TV waffle and the smug contents of an Instagram feed, whereas the book crackles like a burning log with something bizarre on almost every page.

Plenty of the book will get people irritated too, particularly its self-absorption. He talks about a row over people parking near his palace accommodation with more detail than you'd expect from a small war.

That's an interesting point. Are Netflix going to be narked that he kept all his "revelations" - if you can call a spanked backside and a frozen "todger" "revelations" - for the book?

Wonder if Meghan is putting a bit of distance between herlsef and this book because of all the embarrassing sex stuff.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom