Royals at Wimbledon 2008 - 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
100% agree - there are good reasons indeed why William didn't attend the world cup final and why Catherine isn't attending the women's final - but still its been noticed there is (likely unintentional) a male bias in the sporting events they attend - its actually more a William issue than Catherine IMO but still, fair to comment on.

In terms of. Wimbledon I do wonder how much comes from the organisers themselves - I'd love if Catherine used her considerable profile and media interest to shine a spot light on, say the wheelchair games, the wheelchair final for example. But the mens final is Wimbledon's set piece game that they place much importance on - I suspect they quite like Catherine turning up to their set piece, jewel in the crown, game and feel its where they'd prefer Catherine to be seen over other finals and other games. Its like Catherine bringing George and Charlotte into the royal box with her - no other children are allowed, even as guests of royals, but Wimbledon wasn't going to say no to George and Charlotte coming and gaining alot of media attention with them.

The tournament has had to pay out hundreds of thousands of pounds in compensation to ticket holders who have, due to rain, been able to view less than 2 hours of play in a day, so I'm sure they are happy their royal patron will be there on the final day so but a royal gloss over it all. I do wonder sometimes if the needs and desires of the organisation doesn't sometimes trump over what the royals might like to actually do, or certainly doesn't push them to go beyond the "norm".

I thought the Duchess of Gloucester would have presented as was widely speculated- she is President of the Lawn Tennis Association so has a connection, but seems not.
I wonder if that was Wimbledon’s decision or from the Royal Household, I mean it would be unfair to expect he Duchess to be on standby just in case Catherine couldn’t attend, diaries are planned months in advance as well or she may well not want to be seen as Catherine’s stand in, which is fair enough as well IMO.

Perhaps sometimes they are on standby but also she's been a working Royal for over 50 years supporting her husband, MIL and Monarch and for her and the family it was a shock on two fronts as unexpected and due to bereavement. This was probably very hard on the family. Up to that point she could have expected just to go to the usual large family gatherings and be more anonymous as Royal Dukes younger brothers were planned to be.

Considering that women's matches are usually shorter that men's matches, I think it would have actually been better to attend today. It would have been less exposure to heat. But of course we do not know what makes a difference in her case, regarding the days, from a medical point of view.
When she attends, she usually attends for the doubles finals as well as the singles. So while the women's (single) is usually shorter than the men's, today was also the men's doubles final and the women's double final. That would have been 3 matches . It would have been difficult to only attend the first match and skip the other two, since playing in those doubles finals today were a Brit (Patten), 2 Aussies, 1 Canadian, and 1 New Zealander. It was realm galore at the doubles finals today. And I'm not surprised she didn't have the energy for 8 hours of outdoor tennis viewing.

When she attends, she usually attends for the doubles finals as well as the singles. So while the women's (single) is usually shorter than the men's, today was also the men's doubles final and the women's double final. That would have been 3 matches . It would have been difficult to only attend the first match and skip the other two, since playing in those doubles finals today were a Brit (Patten), 2 Aussies, 1 Canadian, and 1 New Zealander. It was realm galore at the doubles finals today. And I'm not surprised she didn't have the energy for 8 hours of outdoor tennis viewing.
No, she actually chooses the match that she wants to attend and shows up at that hour. Sometimes the original schedule can change a little(you can not predict with certainty the exact duration of a match) so she may end up beeing on the court for some part of other match than the original. But she does not attend all matches in the same day.

Catherine's chosen to go to what she's able to do this year and we get to see her at Wimbledon when she could probably have very easily gone to nothing. Does it really advance the cause of women when an ill woman who may very well be struggling is criticized for making a decision overwhelmingly to please others?

No, she actually chooses the match that she wants to attend and shows up at that hour. Sometimes the original schedule can change a little(you can not predict with certainty the exact duration of a match) so she may end up beeing on the court for some part of other match than the original. But she does not attend all matches in the same day.
I've watched in past years her watching multiple matches per day. When I'm watching the women's single final and then watching the doubles' finals they'll pan to the royal box, and often she is at the doubles' finals as well. She'll go back stage to congratulate the winner of the previous match, then she'll return to the box to watch the doubles match in progress. She's also a doubles fan. For example, when Catherine, Meghan and Pippa attended the women's final together, Meghan left after Serena lost, but Catherine and Pippa stayed for the doubles finals.

Like I said there was a Brit, 2 Aussies, a Canadian, and a New Zealander playing today in the doubles. As a tennis fan, it would have been very difficult for her to leave without watching that. Less pressure with tomorrow, since if she's tired after the men's match, there is no realm country in the Mixed Doubles Final afterwards.

Catherine's chosen to go to what she's able to do this year and we get to see her at Wimbledon when she could probably have very easily gone to nothing. Does it really advance the cause of women when an ill woman who may very well be struggling is criticized for making a decision overwhelmingly to please others?
I do not think anyone would blame her for not showing up. Her health is the most important thing and she should prioritise that above any appearance. But if she makes a choice for an appearance that choice will be discussed.

I've watched in past years her watching multiple matches per day. When I'm watching the women's single final and then watching the doubles' finals they'll pan to the royal box, and often she is at the doubles' finals as well. She'll go back stage to congratulate the winner of the previous match, then she'll return to the box to watch the doubles match in progress. She's also a doubles fan. For example, when Catherine, Meghan and Pippa attended the women's final together, Meghan left after Serena lost, but Catherine and Pippa stayed for the doubles finals.

Like I said there was a Brit, 2 Aussies, a Canadian, and a New Zealander playing today in the doubles. As a tennis fan, it would have been very difficult for her to leave without watching that. Less pressure with tomorrow, since if she's tired after the men's match, there is no realm country in the Mixed Doubles Final afterwards.
We will have to agree to disagree on this. We have different oppinions and that is fine. I respect your take on this!

I think some of you are stretching to find a reason to be outraged. Catherine attending the Men's Final and not the Women's Final isn't a slap to anyone's face, nor is it misogynistic, anti-woman, or whatever else. Maybe she just doesn't want to go to both. Not everything has a secret agenda behind it.

Considering that women's matches are usually shorter that men's matches, I think it would have actually been better to attend today. It would have been less exposure to heat. But of course we do not know what makes a difference in her case, regarding the days, from a medical point of view.
This is the Great British Summer. We don't do heat! It's rained throughout most of Wimbledon, although thankfully the forecast for today is for it to be dry. Whatever medical issues there may be, heat will definitely not be one of them!

It is only this forum that is raising the issue about men or women’s matches, or about who attends what.
People who are interested in the RF are just delighted she feels well enough to attend today, nobody is nit picking what day or what match.
Nor inferring that the Duchess of Gloucester does not want to be Catherine’s stand in.
It is a tennis match, there will be others, by all means criticise when somebody is in full health but not when they are ill.

[.....]

To return to the subject of Wimbledon, it was expected that the Duchess of Gloucester would present the trophies if Catherine was unable to attend. However, I understand that Debbie Jevans, the chairwoman of the All England Club, will present the ladies' singles trophy to either Jasmine Paolini or Barbora Krejcikova. That's a bit of a shame, IMHO. No offence to Debbie Jevans, but it's not quite the same as having the trophy presented by royalty.
This is one of the problems with Charles' plan for a "slimmed-down RF." It's fine while everyone who is left if functioning, but if something happens and people are not able to attend events, some back-up is needed!

The BBC are just showing pictures of Kate and Charlotte arriving. No sign of George, so is he in Berlin? So pleased to see Kate there.

Pippa with them too. She got a standing ovation when she came.in. Everyone surely recognising what she has been through. I wonder how much this is influenced by Charlotte who clearly was crushing on Carlos last year. I do feel they don't give enough attention to the women's in general to be honest. Never brought the kids. William never went.

Last edited:
This was the first Championships in living memory not attended by the Duke of Kent. I hope he is well nevertheless.

Thankfully the Michaels can be counted on to fly the Kent flag in the Royal Box.

Otherwise the royal attendance this year has been lacklustre. Should the Royal Box be renamed ’the VIP Box’?

This was the first Championships in living memory not attended by the Duke of Kent. I hope he is well nevertheless.

Thankfully the Michaels can be counted on to fly the Kent flag in the Royal Box.

Otherwise the royal attendance this year has been lacklustre. Should the Royal Box be renamed ’the VIP Box’?
I agree, there have been fewer appearances. In some cases royals have been spotted outside the royal box. Presumably, because they wanted to watch a match scheduled on another court. However, the appearance of Charlotte, and George last year, indicate the future is bright for the next generation of royal watchers.

There've been plenty of royal appearances. Camilla, Beatrice and Edo, Zara and Mike, Peter and Harriet, the Michaels, Lady Helen and one of her daughters, the Earl of Snowdon, and Freddie Windsor and Sophie Winkleman have all been there, as well as Catherine and Charlotte.

I'm not sure if there are any pictures online yet, but the BBC's shown us pictures of Catherine and Charlotte talking to Carlitos (what a lot of Cs!) after the match.

Some nice pictures of Charlotte with her Auntie Pippa on the Mail website.

Aliso H’s right. And you forgot Lady Rose and George Gilman and the Earl and Countess of St Andrews with their daughter Lady Amelia attending!

Back
Top Bottom