Marius Borg Høiby News & Current Events Part 1: December 2023 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not his childhood home, he lives at the Crown Prince Couple's Skaugum estate
Wasn't it stated that he went to that school, that is why I assumed it was his childhood home.

My main question, or what I am trying to confirm my understanding, is that he was contacted by authorities, the pick up point at the school was agreed to, and from there Marius was taken into custody and then spent 30 hours in a drunk tank.

Yes im confused whether he was in the “drunk tank” then rearrested or fled home to Skagum then was arrested and kept for 30hrs

Could be.
The times I've been to the ER, or brought my children to the ER, I've never been asked for permission and the entries from doctors treating us went straight into the medical records. Which I can of course also access online myself. Mrs. Muhler, who has a leadership function within the care sector, can also access the medical records of her clients. Usually in regards to medication or treatments after an injury and so on. In DK at least this is based on trust. And it happens at times that a healthcare worker, social worker and what not is caught looking at such records without reason. Or attempting to look at the records of people who are classified, which set off all the alarmbells, because all logins are registered. That's ground for termination.
Anyway, in the case of an emergency, like Marius (perhaps) being brought into the ER in a state of psychosis or he appears to be under the influence of something, I'd say the doctors would be interested in knowing ASAP whether he has a medical history and is under medication and what kind of medication or if he has some other ailments that could affect his health if not taken into consideration. In the case of Marius, I'm pretty confident that such records are classified so that only people with a certain classification can access them.
Having worked in hospitals in the US all medical records are classified. Only direct care healthcare workers have access to a patient's medical records. There is however a special classification where the patient's name is blocked referred to as "no known information" and given a code name in the hospital. It's difficult to know how Norway processes a patient's medical records but I would assume similar.

Yes im confused whether he was in the “drunk tank” then rearrested or fled home to Skagum then was arrested and kept for 30hrs
I believe he left the woman’s apartment and went home. Then the woman called the police and they contacted him to be arrested and they arranged the meeting spot from there. Then he spent the 30 hours in the drunk tank.

Despite the bits of info given out I don't think we really know exactly how any of this transpired or even the circumstances surrounding Marius's arrest near his home on the Skagum Estate. Since we haven't heard from Marius's attorney or Marius himself I don't think we know despite what's in the news.

Having worked in hospitals in the US all medical records are classified. Only direct care healthcare workers have access to a patient's medical records. There is however a special classification where the patient's name is blocked referred to as "no known information" and given a code name in the hospital. It's difficult to know how Norway processes a patient's medical records but I would assume similar.
That's pretty much the case here as well. All personal information is classified and only to be accessed on a need to know bases by relevant people. A social worker can't access my medical records, a doctor can't access my tax information and the police can't access any of it without a court order, or my permission. - I believe that's standard in all of EU.

GDPR rules mean staff should only have access to relevant and necessary information for the purposes they need. So your tax accountant doesn’t need access to your health records so shouldn’t have access to them. Likewise only relevant staff who actually need your personal medical information should be able to access it- eg your doctor not just any random doctor elsewhere. We saw this when the hospital the Princess of Wales was at reported staff who weren’t on her direct medical team had tried to access her records. This is a breach of GDPR rules as they didn’t need the info so the hospital could have faced a huge fine.

At VG:
According to VG's information, the police were notified by a friend of the victim.
The charge against Borg Høiby was extended on Wednesday to also apply to damage. VG is aware that the police are now investigating several episodes where he allegedly committed damage.
These are therefore different episodes than the one that has been known from before.
(..)

Last edited by a moderator:
There is something mildly depressing about how Marius has his extremely high-powered lawyer (he is entitled to a defense, after all; it just happens to be the best the NRF’s money can buy) which I am really not begrudging him — it’s just that the woman involved needs to receive services from legal aid.

No one was willing or interested in taking her case pro bono?

Taking a case against a member of the NRF, he is still listed as being part of the royal family, I can see why many would stay away.

There is something mildly depressing about how Marius has his extremely high-powered lawyer (he is entitled to a defense, after all; it just happens to be the best the NRF’s money can buy) which I am really not begrudging him — it’s just that the woman involved needs to receive services from legal aid.

No one was willing or interested in taking her case pro bono?

Maybe it is actually a pro bono case? Because the Nettavisen article above refers to the woman's lawyer as both legal aid and a star lawyer...

If Marius has much better legal representation that his victim cannot afford, he might benefit but the NRF's reputation would not...

Last edited:
It's getting worse all the time, if this is true
Two independent, secure sources, who both wish to remain anonymous due to the sensitivity of the case, tell Se og Hør that Marius Borg Høiby in the time between the incident in the woman's apartment on the night of Sunday - and until he was arrested on Sunday afternoon - has made several threats against the woman he has a relationship with. On the phone, he allegedly threatened to set fire to and burn the girl's clothes and belongings.
Of course the lawyers don't comment.

It's getting worse all the time, if this is true
Two independent, secure sources, who both wish to remain anonymous due to the sensitivity of the case, tell Se og Hør that Marius Borg Høiby in the time between the incident in the woman's apartment on the night of Sunday - and until he was arrested on Sunday afternoon - has made several threats against the woman he has a relationship with. On the phone, he allegedly threatened to set fire to and burn the girl's clothes and belongings.
Of course the lawyers don't comment.
May or may not be Se og Hør’s usually-extensively verified content :rolleyes: , but the paper is still birdcage liner.

This is a very serious news story, not royal gossip. Why aren’t they taking this to the real journalists?

Maybe it is actually a pro bono case? Because the Nettavisen article above refers to the woman's lawyer as both legal aid and a star lawyer...

If Marius has much better legal representation that his victim cannot afford, he might benefit but the NRF's reputation would not...

Mette-Yvonne Larsen is one of the best and most high profil lawyers in Norway, she is often on the victims side in the most high profil court cases in Norway including against Ander Behring Breivik after the terror attacks.

The womans legal aid is payed for by the state. Høibys lawyer is not a media star lawyer like Larsen is.

The womans legal aid is payed for by the state.
Why is the state paying for this? Not everyone is entitled to one of the nation’s best lawyers at government expense, right?

May or may not be Se og Hør’s usually-extensively verified content :rolleyes: , but the paper is still birdcage liner.

This is a very serious news story, not royal gossip. Why aren’t they taking this to the real journalists?
Se og Hør having their 'best days' with this tragic case. I dispise this rag magazine so much.

Why is the state paying for this? Not everyone is entitled to one of the nation’s best lawyers at government expense, right?
In neighbouring Sweden everyone accused of committing a crime is entitled to free public defence from a lawyer who is either appointed to you or chosen by you. You are free to choose any lawyer, including high-profile ones, who will take on your case if possible.
This is one of the foundations of our legal system to ensure equal legal representation for all citizens.

From what I've read the system in Norway works somewhat the same.

Some lawyers develop a niche in high profile victims’ cases the same way that others focus on high profile defendants.

If the alleged victim’s lawyer felt the case coincided with her area of legal expertise, and her comfort level/preference for high profile cases, she may have agreed to take it on either pro bono or at the usual legal aid rate (which could be significantly less than what she usually bills).

Its usually the court that decided which victims should get free legal aid, but the police can also request it, like they have here. It is free and you can decide yourself what lawyer you want if they are willing to take the job. If you are not satisfied you can change lawyer. In this case I would think the police considers it necessary because of the public interest. This is not case that the press would write about unless one of the parts are famous and not usually where the courts grants free legal aid.
In this case it is rather clear that she needs it, the press was calling her and asking her for comments. Now the press calls her lawyer instead as it should be.

Taking a case against a member of the NRF, he is still listed as being part of the royal family, I can see why many would stay away.
And I can see why others would leap at it.
In neighbouring Sweden everyone accused of committing a crime is entitled to free public defence from a lawyer who is either appointed to you or chosen by you. You are free to choose any lawyer, including high-profile ones, who will take on your case if possible.
This is one of the foundations of our legal system to ensure equal legal representation for all citizens.

From what I've read the system in Norway works somewhat the same.
It’s not Marius’s lawyer who is working for free (unless I’m mistaken) but the (likely will-be) plaintiff’s. @Annine gave a good explanation why.

The state also covers the cost for the one who is charged in certainly cases but as I read it probably not in this one yet.
Demand for a free lawyer

The state usually covers the costs of your lawyer if you are in custody, when the trial is heard in the courts (the main hearing), and in cases where the sentence follows a confession case and the punishment can be an unconditional prison term of more than 6 months.

When do you not have a claim that the state covers the legal fees?

Many people may be surprised that you are not initially entitled to a free lawyer when the case is being investigated, unless you are in custody. This means that the state does not cover the legal costs of police interrogations.

In cases involving blood alcohol levels, as a rule, you will not be entitled to the state covering the costs of a lawyer, regardless of whether there is a possible sentence of unconditional imprisonment for more than 6 months. You are also not entitled to cover legal fees in cases of drink-driving, or if you have driven without a driving licence.

When the case is heard in court because you have not adopted a preliminary injunction (a fine), the state will not cover the costs of a lawyer. The same applies if the case dealt with in the courts concerns confiscation.

More or less the same system in the US. Everyone is entitled to legal representation and if you can’t afford it you will be assigned a Public Defender. Of course any lawyer can take your case probono if they want to for their reputation, fame, etc.

I believe he left the woman’s apartment and went home. Then the woman called the police and they contacted him to be arrested and they arranged the meeting spot from there. Then he spent the 30 hours in the drunk tank.
The apartment is from marius. Bought when he was with nora

And I can see why others would leap at it.

It’s not Marius’s lawyer who is working for free (unless I’m mistaken) but the (likely will-be) plaintiff’s. @Annine gave a good explanation why.
I did meant the victim of the crime as well but forgot to add it (😂🤷🏻‍♂️) but both parties are entitled (in Sweden) to a free lawyer. If they're convicted they can be charged with the cost for the legal defense of both parties.

According to what TV 2 knows, there are recordings of one or more phone calls in which Marius Borg Høiby called the woman who now has the status of offended in the criminal case against him.
In the conversations, Høiby is said to have acted and formulated himself in a way that is described as "aggressive".
The recordings could become key evidence if the police choose to press charges against Høiby.
Therefore, TV 2 identifies Marius Borg Høiby
As a general rule, the press does not identify people at such an early stage in a criminal case. TV 2 chooses to identify because of Borg Høiby's position in society, combined with the seriousness of the charge.
Marius Borg Høiby is the son of Crown Princess Mette-Marit, the stepson of Norway's next king and the half-brother of the country's next queen. He is therefore part of the extended royal family, even though he is not part of the royal house.

According to what TV 2 knows, there are recordings of one or more phone calls in which Marius Borg Høiby called the woman who now has the status of offended in the criminal case against him.
In the conversations, Høiby is said to have acted and formulated himself in a way that is described as "aggressive".
The recordings could become key evidence if the police choose to press charges against Høiby.
Therefore, TV 2 identifies Marius Borg Høiby
As a general rule, the press does not identify people at such an early stage in a criminal case. TV 2 chooses to identify because of Borg Høiby's position in society, combined with the seriousness of the charge.
Marius Borg Høiby is the son of Crown Princess Mette-Marit, the stepson of Norway's next king and the half-brother of the country's next queen. He is therefore part of the extended royal family, even though he is not part of the royal house.

Three more details that are worth noting.
The damage in the apartment should, considering the level of destruction, be considered amounting to thousands of NKR = at least a couple of thousand or so $ or €. (I base that on the wording in the article.)
The knife was planted in the wall of the bedroom.

The police patrol arriving on the scene did on their initiative a case and that includes obtaining an arrest-order (warrant? Not 100 % sure of the technical term in English.) for Marius. In other words the police officers themselves considered the incident so serious that it should be investigated right away and Marius charged no matter what the victim may have felt at the time or later.
Also, if I understand the article right, the woman was undergoing treatment for her injury(ies) when the police arrived. I imagine an ambulance was called.

-----

- So if the TV 2 article is correct, and considering TV 2, I believe it is. Then the woman, who must understandably have been in shock, called a friend after Marius left. One or more friends arrived and as the woman had visible head injuries in the back of her head (blood?) they called an ambulance and presumably also alerted the police. The ambulance arrived first. When the police officers arrived they assessed the damage, spoke briefly to the victim, presumably also the paramedics and decided to make a case on the spot.

Last edited:
Everyone looks fantastic. It would have been nice if someone from the Royal Family attended the gala in honor of His Majesty's jubilee.

Back
Top Bottom