Royals at the Paris 2024 Summer Olympics & Paralympics

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice to see all the royals celebrating and cheering there athletes. Where are the British royals?

The Olympics are incredible at bringing nations together, it is very good to see the royals support this event
I agree, wonderful to see the many royal families in Paris to support their Olympic teams. It makes it all the more special!

Nice to see all the royals celebrating and cheering there athletes. Where are the British royals?
Princess Anne and her husband of course are in Paris for the Olympics. Considering the British royals are stretched thin these days with either medical issues i.e. cancer recovery, raising young families or getting up there in years making travel to the Paris Olympics more challenging. It would be fun to see the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh or some of the adult Kent children etc make an appearance of support. It's early days.

I was hoping to see the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh doing what the other royal families have been doing. The recent royal garden party has shown that former Olympian Zara Tindall and the York princesses can be called on to assist. Hopefully we will see them.

I agree, wonderful to see the many royal families in Paris to support their Olympic teams. It makes it all the more special!

Princess Anne and her husband of course are in Paris for the Olympics. Considering the British royals are stretched thin these days with either medical issues i.e. cancer recovery, raising young families or getting up there in years making travel to the Paris Olympics more challenging. It would be fun to see the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh or some of the adult Kent children etc make an appearance of support. It's early days.
I was surprised that there wasn’t someone from the British Royal Family at the Opening Ceremony as the Princess Royal had made it known she wouldn’t be attending. I know Anne is a stalwart when it comes to supporting GB at the Olympics, but given there are so many events, in multiple locations, and with her current health, I hope there’s others in the Family who will be there to ‘pick up the baton’.

I was surprised that there wasn’t someone from the British Royal Family at the Opening Ceremony as the Princess Royal had made it known she wouldn’t be attending. I know Anne is a stalwart when it comes to supporting GB at the Olympics, but given there are so many events, in multiple locations, and with her current health, I hope there’s others in the Family who will be there to ‘pick up the baton’.
"The Princess Royal will not attend the Paris 2024 Olympics Opening Ceremony, despite currently being in the French capital. A Buckingham Palace spokesperson confirmed that Princess Anne, 73, will instead watch the ceremony from Team GB House alongside representatives from the British Olympic Association."
"It comes just weeks after the Princess was hospitalised with concussion and a minor head injury following a horse-related incident at her Gloucestershire home, Gatcombe Park, on 23 June. She spent five nights being treated at Southmead Hospital in Bristol before being discharged."

Yes, I am aware she was in Paris and of the reasons why she didn’t attend. My point is, because of the situation due to the medical issues, there was time for someone else to be in attendance.

Princess Leonor and Infanta Sofia at the Spain-Australia men's water polo match

Princess and Infanta Sofia accompanied by the Australian Minister of Sport and members of the Australian delegation

Princess of Asturias and Infanta Sofía greet members of the Spanish Olympic swimming team

Yes, I am aware she was in Paris and of the reasons why she didn’t attend. My point is, because of the situation due to the medical issues, there was time for someone else to be in attendance.
I think she was quite wise, the action happened all along the river, there was only a small part that the spectators saw live. The rest would have been on screens. Who would want to sit for 4 hours in the rain when you were watching a screen. Stay in the dry. I always knew Anne was a wise woman.

I agree. With rising temperatures for the second week forecast, she might have to be careful too.

Given her health issues of late and that she is technically (or was) on a 'phased return' to work, she made the best decision re the opening ceremony IMO.

I do wonder if we might not see some more royals come over at the games truly get under way, looking at the schedule I think its a day or two before theres a big bulk of medal opportunities for Team GB.

I can see Zara and Mike joining her at some point.

BTW- Anne has an engagement in Edinburgh on 5th Aug so not sure if she is hopping back just for that or not, maybe someone will come out to take the baton then?

Have we see the Swedish Royals in attendance? I thought I'd read the King & Queen were attending (as Victoria is attending the Paralympics) but don't seem to have seen them?

Have we see the Swedish Royals in attendance? I thought I'd read the King & Queen were attending (as Victoria is attending the Paralympics) but don't seem to have seen them?
The King and Queen will attend 5-11 August. They have an engagement in Sweden today.

...given there are so many events, in multiple locations, and with her current health, I hope there’s others in the Family who will be there to ‘pick up the baton’.
To be honest, I feel there are too many events, and too many obscure sports. The Olympics used to be something really special, but now not so much. JMO.

They really put those 2 girls to work ! I can't imagine having to be super enthusiastic during every and each of the Spanish teams games. Always in awe of the Spanish Royal Family !

And Sofia is still a minor in school! How many events does this make for them now? I’ve lost count.

(They are both athletic and I’m sure are having a great deal of fun.)

A strong Dutch support group during the mountain bike cross-country final :)

** anp gallery **
After the race they were able to comfort the Dutch rider who was expected to win a silver medal but ended up fourth due to a flat tire (just like the British rider at the time trial on the road yesterday).

It was expected that Leonor and Sofía would attend the badminton match, because Carlina Marín is the 2024 Princess of Asturias Award for Sports and Leonor will present her with the award in October.

The Spanish Royal Family has a great Olympic tradition, and several of its members have competed in the Olympic Games, so it is normal that Leonor and Sofia support the Games... being held in France, which is a neighboring country, is the best opportunity they will have, especially after they could not travel to Tokyo due to Covid or to Rio due to internal political issues.

It has been very difficult for them to make plans because they have other commitments in Mallorca. They will continue to take turns until the end, and we will see how they can adapt the schedule now because Queen Sofia was also expected to travel to Paris, but the death of Prince Michael may change those plans.

Princess of Asturias and Infanta Sofía with Carolina Marin

With Pau Gasol, basketball player and member of the IOC, and his wife

And Sofia is still a minor in school! How many events does this make for them now? I’ve lost count.

Yesterday they attended a tennis match (Nadal and Alcaraz dobles) and today the men's waterpolo match, women's field hockey match, greeted members of the swimming team and just now the women's badminton match.

I'm just glad Felipe and Letizia have so much confidence in the girls, they are enthusiastically representing Spain in Paris on their own. Felipe and Letizia have done a good job with them. :)

This Sunday, the Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg visited the Olympic Village where they greeted the Luxembourg athletes.
In the photos we can see the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess, Prince Guillaume and Princess Stephanie, Prince Felix with his children, Princess Alexandra (with her daughter on her lap;)) and Nicolas Bagory, Prince Louis and Prince Sebastien.

Today, the Princess of Asturias and Infanta Sofía attended the beach volleyball match between Spain and the Netherlands.

Prince Prince Charles, Duke of Castro, his wife Princess Camilla, Duchess of Castro and their daughters Princess Maria Carolina, Duchess of Calabria and Palermo and Princess Maria Chiara, Duchess of Noto and Capri, gathered a number of friends, including several members of royalty and nobility, at their home in Paris, to watch the opening ceremony of the 2024 Olympic Games.

Among the guests were Prince Philippos and Princess Nina of Greece, Jean-Christophe and Olympia Bonaparte, Prince and Princess Napoleon, among others.

Back
Top Bottom