Royals at the Paris 2024 Summer Olympics & Paralympics

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It will be HM King Frederik and Queen Mary who cut the ribbon when VisitDenmark formally opens the doors to a small piece of Denmark in Paris on 25 July in connection with the Olympics.
"We are very happy that the Royal Palace, with its participation, is helping to shed light on the story of Denmark, which the Danish Pavilion represents. Denmark is a small country with room for big ideas, and we would like to reflect that with the window to Denmark, we have tried to create," says CEO of VisitDenmark Katja Moesgaard.

One of Mary’s Tasmanian relatives is competing at the Olympics.

She says Mary and Frederik will be watching her from the poolside VIP area … “been in the works for months”, “had to be hush hush due to security concerns”.

The Olympic swimmer is NOT a relative of Mary - they don't even share a great-great-greatparent or so. One of her father's cousins happens to be married to one of Mary's cousins, that's all. So, no blood relationship whatsoever.

Frederik and Mary at the Danish Pavilion opening

Videos of Frederik and Mary's events today around the Danish Pavillion

Great way to promote Denmark!

"In the heart of Paris on the Avenue des Champs-Élysées, Their Majesties the King and Queen cut the cord of the Danish Pavilion today, which will promote Denmark in the French capital during the Olympic Games 🇩🇰🇫🇷
During the next 17 days, visitors from all over the world will have the opportunity to experience Danish design, food, health and sustainable solutions in a special exhibition and event area, which is arranged in the Danmarkshuset."

Princes Anne will not be attending the opening ceremony. She will instead watch it at Team GB House.

King Felipe and Queen Letizia offer a reception at the Spanish Embassy in Paris

Last edited:
It is nice to see Charlene at the Louvre this evening considering the fact that she rarely participates in these international events. She looks beautifull!!

Videos of Frederik and Mary's events today around the Danish Pavillion

Great videos! They look wonderful. Queen Mary with the perfect fashion nod to Danish colors. So chic! Cannot wait to see a the royals that are going to the Opening Ceremonies to support their country's athletes.

Another article with lovely photos

Photos IOC dinner at the Louvre:
King Willem-Alexander of Netherlands
King Frederik X and Queen Mary of Denmark
Prince Albert II and Princess Charlene of Monaco
Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa of Luxembourg
King Philippe and Queen Mathilde of Belgium
King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia of Spain

Message from Margareta, Custodian of the Crown and Prince Radu of Romania to the Romanian athletes participating in the Paris Olympic Games.

It is nice to see Charlene at the Louvre this evening considering the fact that she rarely participates in these international events. She looks beautifull!!
I'm not surprised at all, she attended all of the events at the London 2012 Olympics as well.

The Olympic swimmer is NOT a relative of Mary - they don't even share a great-great-greatparent or so. One of her father's cousins happens to be married to one of Mary's cousins, that's all. So, no blood relationship whatsoever.
It must be a Tasmanian thing Somebody … I am from Tasmania too … you’re family by blood and family by marriage.

I once worked for a year with someone who was related, and we didn’t realise until the older generation spoke up.

There are so few people in the State that many have multiple connections to others through those they are related to, marrying.

Ariarne alludes to this in the article, which made me smile. (The rest of Australia says we all have two heads … from in-breeding.)

I’ll have to keep an eye out on her Instagram, she may post some photos. Apparently her Mum is a bit nervous about meeting the Royals.

It must be a Tasmanian thing Somebody … I am from Tasmania too … you’re family by blood and family by marriage.

I once worked for a year with someone who was related, and we didn’t realise until the older generation spoke up.

There are so few people in the State that many have multiple connections to others through those they are related to, marrying.

Ariarne alludes to this in the article, which made me smile. (The rest of Australia says we all have two heads … from in-breeding.)

I’ll have to keep an eye out on her Instagram, she may post some photos. Apparently her Mum is a bit nervous about meeting the Royals.
I would say that her father's cousin is part of Mary's family (he married into that family). However, this man's cousin-once-removed is not related to Mary... I guess, that's why she acknowledged she is not truly a cousin but only in a 'roundabout way'. Nonetheless, if her father's cousin and Mary's cousin have children, the swimmer would share second cousins with Christian, Isabella, Vincent and Josephine - even though they themselves aren't cousins.

It seems that Queen Máxima forgets that between the jetsetting and the vacationing she actually is paid to represent the country. Queens Mathilde, Letizia and Mary are there, as is the princess of Monaco and even the Grand Duchess of Luxembourg.

If there is a pressing reason for her continued absences the court might better be open about it. Because at the moment it seems she simply had enough of it all and wants an early retirement.

Last edited:
If anything, Maxima is incredibly hard working. If she is not there, it means she has a very very good reason to not be. She was dealing with her sister's mental illness, her father declining health, many personal challenges including her own illnesses while still showing up and smiling and being energetic. She could have burnt out just like Princess Charlene did a few years ago and no one knew nor extended any kindness to her until it was publicly known and acknowledged by the court. Therefore, I would reserve judgment.

My guess is that she is spending time with her family (or she could be on holiday with her close friends from Argentina that they try to arrange once in awhile - which must be rather complicated with their various busy schedules). She will be at the Opening Ceremony tomorrow and stay for a few more days (as well as her eldest daughters).

Here's a nice group photo of King Philippe, Queen Mathilde, Grand Duke Henri, Grand Duchess Maria Teresa and the President of Portugal Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa taken yesterday evening (and some more photos of the Grand Ducal couple yesterday):

This morning, July 26, King Philippe and Queen Mathilde opened the Lotto Belgium House:

** gettyimages gallery ** rex gallery **

And King Felipe met the mayor of Paris, Anne Hidalgo, at the residence of the Spanish Embassy in Paris:

More photos and video:

Today, King Frederik X and Queen Mary visited the Danish athletes in the Olympic City.

Last edited:
The King of Spain with the Mayor of Paris at the Spanish Embassy in Paris.
PPE Agency

Queen Mary looks wonderful today and the colours are perfect for the Danish Team .
Mary come across as so natural and warm with a wonderful smile

If anything, Maxima is incredibly hard working. If she is not there, it means she has a very very good reason to not be. She was dealing with her sister's mental illness, her father declining health, many personal challenges including her own illnesses while still showing up and smiling and being energetic. She could have burnt out just like Princess Charlene did a few years ago and no one knew nor extended any kindness to her until it was publicly known and acknowledged by the court. Therefore, I would reserve judgment.
i didn't know she was dealing with illnesses of her own - what happened to her?

i am excited to see her at the ceremony. hope all is well.

Today, King Frederik X and Queen Mary visited the Danish athletes in the Olympic City.
Frederik and Mary had lunch with the Danish national women's handball team who already started their Olympics yesterday with a 27-19 win over Slovenia. It's the teams first qualification to the Olympics since 2012.

Back
Top Bottom