Royals at the Paris 2024 Summer Olympics & Paralympics

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm so excited seeing royals at Olympic Games.
I wonder why the British royal family didn't send anyone to represent them. The presence of Anne is not enough, IMO. They could send, for example, Edward and Sophie.
And what happened to Swedish royals?
Leonor and Sofia absolutely rock. ❤

Leonor and Sofia represent their country so well 🌹 they bring the positive energy. 🇪🇸

Its a shame that there wasn't anyone from Sweden or Norway at the Opening Ceremony and no presence so far.
The Spanish ,Danish and Dutch RF are well represented and very visible as is the Princess Royal for the UK and we had the Belgians at the start of the games.
Grand Ducal Family and Princely Family of Monaco too.

Last edited:
I wonder why the British royal family didn't send anyone to represent them. The presence of Anne is not enough, IMO. They could send, for example, Edward and Sophie.

Leonor and Sofia represent their country so well 🌹 they bring the positive energy. 🇪🇸

I agree 100%. A younger generation brings energy and vitality. It is also great PR.
Paris to London is just a little over an hour by plane. I'm really hoping we'll see the Prince of Wales and the Edinburgh at some point doing what the Dutch, Danish, and Spanish did at these games.

Yesterday Princess Anne attended the mens hockey match - Team GB v Netherlands

Princess Anne met with Team GB archers this morning.

Personally, I think Anne is more than enough, as an IOC member, and former Olympian, herself who better to represent the British RF at the Olympics. Edward is 60 so hardly bringing youth if he were to attend. The BRF only has two "young" members - William and Catherine, who is out of action (and they are in their 40s) That means any one else "young" will be a non-working royals their in a private capacity anyway - e.g. Zara, Mike, Beatrice. Yes it would be lovely if any of them attended - likewise if W&C did attend but I hardly think it means Team GB or the UK is missing out personally, it just means the media are getting less glamorous pictures.

The reality is, all RFs have different dynamics - many of Europe's atm are just blessed to be somewhat younger sovereigns and some have had their children accompany them. Leonore and Sofia are the only true young ones who have gone independently of their parents and that is an amazing thing for them to do tbf. I just don't see what having Amalia and Alexia tagging along with their parents watching the sports adds more than having an IOC member knows about competing in the olympics both from personal experience and being an active member of the IOC who attends all the meetings ahead of the games. It makes for better pictures is all IMO so get betters media coverage but I know who I'd rather get my medal from.

In all honesty, given recent events in the UK I'd be amazed if we see any more royals at the Olympics before we see them visit Southport where multiple children have been stabbed. E.g. if the Wales are going to do anything in the next week I suspect it will be a visit there over a visit to the Olympics.

Last edited:
Luxembourg is proud of table tennis player Xia Lian:

And Queen Mary in Paris today:

The Princess Royal has just presented the GB women rowing team with a gold medal. ( An exciting, close finish) She was clearly enjoying engaging with all the athletes. I heard the commentator say something like the rowers had asked if she could present the medal, which I didn’t know was posdible

I think the Swedish and Norwegian royals attend the Winter Olympics regurlarly. Perhaps, they enjoy it more given their countries' customs and environment. But I read that the King and Queen of Sweden are coming to the Summer Olympics next week. CP Victoria will attend the Paralympics. Not sure about Norway, is there any announcement?

I think the Swedish and Norwegian royals attend the Winter Olympics regurlarly. Perhaps, they enjoy it more given their countries' customs and environment. But I read that the King and Queen of Sweden are coming to the Summer Olympics next week. CP Victoria will attend the Paralympics. Not sure about Norway, is there any announcement?
Yes The King and Queen of Sweden will attend on 5 - 11 August according to their official calendar… So it looks like they will be staying over the closing ceremony…

Crown Princess Victoria always attends the Paralympics (she is an honorary member of the International Paralympics Committee)

Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette Marit is expected in Paris on 6 - 11 August according to their official calendar.

Luxembourg is proud of table tennis player Xia Lian:

And Queen Mary in Paris today:

Queen Mary looks wonderful attending the dressage. Just click to expand this post to see all the BB articles with photos of Queen Mary in Paris.

I wonder why no Swedish royals at the opening. Hopefully also Victoria and Daniel will attended.
Right, Norwegian royals are missing too. Possibly Harald will not come due to health reasons but I would expect Haakon and Mette-Marit.

I also agree that the princess Royal is MORE than enough!
I like that Anne is at the Olympics. She very much belongs here, I think she still is on the Olympics Committee. I always admire her as the hardest working royal person. 👍
But at the same time I don’t think she’s enough.

I also agree that the princess Royal is MORE than enough!

I am not an avid follower of the Olympics - Football (soccer) is enough for me and even there I am not a real fanatic.

So, what sprung into my eye at the Olympics this year, is, that there are a lot of really prominent figures like Tom Cruise or Natalie Portman or Snoop Doggy Dog or Bill Gates present this time.

Seen this way - Is it good or bad to be not seen in Paris? I am not exactly sure! From what was reported, the opening ceremony was a bit dubious with the pervy Smurf and the giant bull and Queen Marie Antoinette's chopped off head...

But on the other hand it is the Olympic Games and the Princesses from Spain for example made a bella figura and were really like beams of sun light! I think, this was very favourably seen by the Spanish public.

But, as the Royals in question here are the British ones... - There was this unbelievably terrible killing of the little girls and cheering Royals would not come off good!

I wonder why no Swedish royals at the opening. Hopefully also Victoria and Daniel will attended.
Right, Norwegian royals are missing too. Possibly Harald will not come due to health reasons but I would expect Haakon and Mette-Marit.
The Swedish Royal Couple and Norwegian Crown Prince couple will be attending during week 2 of the games.

As you can see below, King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia's typically attend the end portion of the games. (Prince Carl Philip attended in 2006 and 2010 and 2012. Prince Daniel attended in 2012).

*In 2006, Queen Silvia stayed with her brother Jörg who was fighting cancer. He ended up dying on the 18th so the King flew back from Italy to be with the family.
YearLocationDates of OlympicsDates of Royal Couple's Attendance
2006Turin10-26 February17-18 February, 25-27 February (King only)*
2008Beijing8-24 Augustattended closing ceremony
2010Vancouver12 - 28 February19-28 February
2012London27 July - 12 August7-13 August
2014Sochi7 - 23 February13 Feb-16 February
2016Rio5-21 August15-21 August
2018Pyeongchang9-25 February17-25 February (King only)
2021Tokyo23 July - 8 AugustNo attendance due to Pandemic
2022Beijing4-20 FebruaryNo attendance due to Pandemic
2024Paris26-11 August5-11 August

*In 2006, Queen Silvia stayed with her brother Jörg who was fighting cancer. He ended up dying on the 18th so the King flew back from Italy to be with the family.

King Carl Gustaf and queen Silvia are on their summer holiday. They attended last Sunday July 28 the traditional Enthusiast Vehicle Exhibition at the Solliden Palace Park.
Obviously they prefer to attend the end of the Olympics, when athletics have started and the reigning Olympic champions Armand Duplantis (the biggest gold medal hope for Sweden) and Daniel Ståhl will compete.

Leonor and Sofia represent their country so well 🌹 they bring the positive energy. 🇪🇸In

In the times we are in, the Princess Royal IS enough.

Yesterday Princess Anne attended the mens hockey match - Team GB v Netherlands

Princess Anne met with Team GB archers this morning.

Personally, I think Anne is more than enough, as an IOC member, and former Olympian, herself who better to represent the British RF at the Olympics. Edward is 60 so hardly bringing youth if he were to attend. The BRF only has two "young" members - William and Catherine, who is out of action (and they are in their 40s) That means any one else "young" will be a non-working royals their in a private capacity anyway - e.g. Zara, Mike, Beatrice. Yes it would be lovely if any of them attended - likewise if W&C did attend but I hardly think it means Team GB or the UK is missing out personally, it just means the media are getting less glamorous pictures.

The reality is, all RFs have different dynamics - many of Europe's atm are just blessed to be somewhat younger sovereigns and some have had their children accompany them. Leonore and Sofia are the only true young ones who have gone independently of their parents and that is an amazing thing for them to do tbf. I just don't see what having Amalia and Alexia tagging along with their parents watching the sports adds more than having an IOC member knows about competing in the olympics both from personal experience and being an active member of the IOC who attends all the meetings ahead of the games. It makes for better pictures is all IMO so get betters media coverage but I know who I'd rather get my medal from.

In all honesty, given recent events in the UK I'd be amazed if we see any more royals at the Olympics before we see them visit Southport where multiple children have been stabbed. E.g. if the Wales are going to do anything in the next week I suspect it will be a visit there over a visit to the Olympics.

I agree that as a former Olympic Team member that Princess Anne is the best IOC representative of the BRF. She knows exactly how it feels to represent your nation at this level in a sports competition. I'm hoping that her daughter who is also a former Olympic Team member and silver medalist will one day take on this role as an IOC representative.

Queen Letizia attends the Women's Preliminary Round of the Water Polo

The Olympics have always been a very popular event among royals, some have participated in the Games and others sit on Olympic committees. Taking place in Paris, a country close to all European royals, the presence this year is much smaller compared to the London Games.

In the Olympic Games, athletes participate representing their countries and not just themselves, and it is also a good opportunity to support smaller sports that do not have much visibility.

Queen Letizia

JULY 31: Queen Mary of Denmark is seen in attendance on day five of the Olympic Games Paris 2024 at Paris La Defense Arena on July 31, 2024 in Nanterre, France

I think Monaco’s kids, Jacques and Gabriella are the youngest royals attending.

Any news about non-European royalty at the Olympics?

I agree that as a former Olympic Team member that Princess Anne is the best IOC representative of the BRF. She knows exactly how it feels to represent your nation at this level in a sports competition. I'm hoping that her daughter who is also a former Olympic Team member and silver medalist will one day take on this role as an IOC representative.
I am sure the IOC would welcome Zara as former Olympian and member of a royal family with open arms; they seem rather fond of royalty...

There is a long history of quite a few royals serving on the IOC.

Per Royal members of the International Olympic Committee - Royal News

here is a list of the currently active members. In order of seniority of their election:
  1. Princess Nora of Liechtenstein (elected in 1984)
  2. Albert II, Prince of Monaco (elected in 1985)
  3. The Princess Royal (elected in 1988)
  4. Henri, Grand Duke of Luxembourg (elected in 1998)
  5. The Emir of Qatar (elected in 2002)
  6. Prince Faisal bin Hussein (elected in 2010)
  7. Prince Jigyel Ugyen Wangchuck (elected in 2018)
  8. Princess Reema bint Bandar Al Saud (elected in 2020)
The following are honorary members of the IOC after having actively been IOC members:
1. King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands (elected in 1998)
2. King Frederik X of Denmark (elected in 2009)
3. Prince Nawaf Bin Faisal Bin Fahad Bin Abdulaziz Al Saud (elected in 2002),
4. Prince Tunku Imran (elected in 2006)

The Olympics have always been a very popular event among royals, some have participated in the Games and others sit on Olympic committees. Taking place in Paris, a country close to all European royals, the presence this year is much smaller compared to the London Games.
Are you sure? As far as I can tell the usual royals are attending. The main difference is that the UK royals are not attending on mass as it is not in their home country.

I can understand why the British king and queen are not here or the Wales not coming. But like I mentioned , they could have sent Edward & Sophie at least. Maybe more British royals would arrive later.

I can understand why the British king and queen are not here or the Wales not coming. But like I mentioned , they could have sent Edward & Sophie at least. Maybe more British royals would arrive later.
Why 'at least'? Anne has always been the representative as member of the IOC. The Edinburghs are sibling (with spouse) of the king just like Anne and Timothy are... Except for Luxembourg where it seems the whole family likes an Olympic outing (and many of them live in France/Paris), it is quite normal for only 1 couple (sometimes with children) to attend - in most royal families that would be the IOC-member among them (if they have one), which most often is either the monarch or the heir. If none of them is an IOC member, they typically have the heir come over (except for Sweden where the king himself likes to come).

Back
Top Bottom