Queen Mary, Current Events Part 1: January 2024 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with you regarding Mary’s posture Chimene. It really struck me how good her posture is on the latest video, as she walked into the song thing.
But I’m afraid, and I hate upsetting the fans here, but as someone who has taken Ballroom and Latin dance lessons for years … and both American and International, (there are two versions across the world, quite different) … she and Frederik are atrocious dancers.
And I blame Frederik mostly for this, brought up knowing he would be watched whenever he took to a dance floor, not just his Wedding Waltz, and also that in dancing the man “leads” while the woman “follows” and the woman has no choice in what happens as a couple, she is not In any position to influence what happens on the floor.
The saving grace is they always seemed to smile and enjoy themselves, which makes up for a lot, but I would say from what I’ve seen, neither of them have taken a lesson in their lives.
If it’s any comfort, Charles was also bad despite the speed he had on the floor with Diana.
Sorry, hope no-one is upset with my view, but if you think they look good, well, I totally disagree, they haven’t been instructed in even the basics. Frederik must have hurt Mary’s back twisting her around the wrong way in some of those under-arms.
That’s very funny. I admit I’ve never paid much attention to their dancing. I will now! 😂 But someone could have taken dance lessons and still be a terrible dancer… I think at some point she learned some skills that were ingrained in her because it’s something I’ve noticed for as long as she’s been married.

That’s very funny. I admit I’ve never paid much attention to their dancing. I will now! 😂 But someone could have taken dance lessons and still be a terrible dancer… I think at some point she learned some skills that were ingrained in her because it’s something I’ve noticed for as long as she’s been married.
The only thing that matters is that in every video of them dancing they are having a great time with each other, enjoying it, laughing. And imo that's all that matters. They are fun to watch because of that!! No requirement exists that a royal must be Baryshnikov. I mean proof that has been recently evident with other royals.

Mary has some of the best posture of royal women, if not the best. Maybe her training as an equestrian since she was a little girl contributed to that.

I guess I paid attention over the years as it’s something personal to me Chimene, but I totally agree with you about Mary’s posture … high heels or flat shoes, indoors or out … she can’t be faulted, and looks great because of it. Maybe she made a personal effort knowing she would be scrutinised from all angles once in the public eye.
Also, Theresa Page would have helped her if needed, and as she, Mary, was reluctant to part with what was a large some of money in those days, I think Mary would have taken any instruction seriously.
The good thing about their dancing is Mary and Frederik have connection, not in the technical sense of forward poise which allows the push and pull energy between the partners, but in the eye contact and interaction.
Plus we only get to see them dance when they are dressed up and looking their best, which is all part of dancing.
I would say in their defence too, the music I‘ve seen them dance to is not helpful, there’s danceable music and then there is music which is very hard to find the rhythm and tempo to move well to.

Last edited:
Queen Mary has always had a graceful posture. I think it comes from a lifetime of working out with all her body. I have often noticed such a posture with people who have been doing calisthenics for years or yoga for that matter.
Most kind of sports focus on strength and speed while dancing, yoga or calisthenics is more about agility and control of the whole body and that shows.

Queen Mary has always had a graceful posture. I think it comes from a lifetime of working out with all her body. I have often noticed such a posture with people who have been doing calisthenics for years or yoga for that matter.
Most kind of sports focus on strength and speed while dancing, yoga or calisthenics is more about agility and control of the whole body and that shows.
That’s why I assumed dancing because it’s in her core and the way she holds her form. Anyway, my overall point was Queen Mary is brilliant!

Mary took posture classes while still in Australia as preparation for her potential future as member of the Danish royal house.
Yes Somebody … footage is still on the internet of pre-marriage Mary walking up and down a room, practising under the eye of her instructor.
(Teresa Page didn’t do all the instruction herself on each subject, though it was her business.)
A lot of attention was brought back to this aspect in Australia in January with the ascension to the throne of Mary and Frederik.
Ms Page was here and there on various shows about her most famous pupil and the newspapers ran new interviews.

For those less familiar with the story. Hello wrote an article about it as well in January (by someone who took the same 'Starmaker's course' Mary did): I tried Queen Mary’s $1195 Starmaker’s course and this is what I discovered - exclusive

One of the Australian articles: 'I was Queen Mary's "princess whisperer". This is what my job entails.'

Mary took the 8-week long course in February 2001 - so only a few months after she met and started dating Frederik: 'Princess whisperer' helped Mary Donaldson blossom into a future Queen

For those less familiar with the story. Hello wrote an article about it as well in January (by someone who took the same 'Starmaker's course' Mary did): I tried Queen Mary’s $1195 Starmaker’s course and this is what I discovered - exclusive

One of the Australian articles: 'I was Queen Mary's "princess whisperer". This is what my job entails.'

Mary took the 8-week long course in February 2001 - so only a few months after she met and started dating Frederik: 'Princess whisperer' helped Mary Donaldson blossom into a future Queen
Thanks Somebody … that “Hello” article was interesting, I missed it in January.
The thing about Mary’s fun and playful side was something I heard about from one of the Australian police motorcyclists once.
He told the group of us waiting for her to leave the Opera House that she had a good sense of humour, and will engage with us if we are loud and happy and call out to her in that manner.

Thank you for sharing this information! She wanted to be well prepared. She set herself up for success from the beginning and Denmark is seeing the benefits of that approach today.

I saw some videos from those articles and to me the posture and the walk in them was what we imagine princesses from past centuries walked like. Mary's current posture and walk look to me more like the result of years of personal work on her overall appearance

Thank you for sharing this information! She wanted to be well prepared. She set herself up for success from the beginning and Denmark is seeing the benefits of that approach today.
Absolutely. It is my firm impression that Queen Mary always try and prepare herself as much as she can, pretty much no matter what. That doesn't mean that she can't improvise or enjoy being spontaneous, I just believe that in a work setting at least she is more comfortable with being very well prepared.
That in contrast to King Frederik. While he does prepare himself with meetings and writing speeches. I think he is more the type who asks: What's on the agenda? Reads the schedule and background info through once and says: Yep, got it. - And just rolls along and take whatever it is in it's stride. And I think he is more comfortable with that.
After all King Frederik has a background where he would often have to adapt to sudden changes and improvise. I.e. the navy and special forces. And he probably knows from experience that there is always something in the royal roadshow that doesn't go according to plan and in that light he may be more laid back.

I saw some videos from those articles and to me the posture and the walk in them was what we imagine princesses from past centuries walked like. Mary's current posture and walk look to me more like the result of years of personal work on her overall appearance
I agree. Her bearing and posture didn't come from a course she attended. Event though she may have learned a thing or two on that course, I think she has been working on her bearing for years.
For example: You rarely see her slump when she is sitting down. She usually sit upright with a straight back. Beforehand schools for girls, and especially good schools, were very particular about teaching such an upright posture. And I have noticed that some, not many, have such such a posture.
Those of you who enjoyed The Big Bang Theory may have noticed Howard's wife Bernadette (I think it was) always sat up straight. I think Queen Mary may have trained herself in the same way.

Back
Top Bottom