Meghan Markle's Wedding Dress

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No. Emilia was quite well-known in the fashion world and the aristocratic/Jet-set/socialite circles prior to this drama.

She’s probably far better known across the ocean than US. She’s no Givenchy, that’s for sure.

I had never heard of Emelia prior to this, but certainly have now. Maybe this was a way of getting attention and making er 'name' known?

Emilia is quite popular in the upper crust circles in the UK. You see Kate and Sophie in her clothes. There were guests at the wedding in her clothes. Meghan's black dress and coat from Anzac day were Emilia. Pippa wore her to Charlotte's christening. As a North American, if I had no interest in british royalty/aristos, I likely would never have heard of her though. Not a huge name over here.

Gabriel Macht's wife Jacinda (Suits) wore Wickstead to the wedding. But Jacinda started her career in the UK (though Australian).

Emilia uses Jacinda at the wedding on her Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bi_J-A8lfgz/?taken-by=emiliawickstead

Last edited:
People that count? How does one become an ‘expert’ in style.

Style is subjective or threads like this wouldn’t exist. I’ve read many opinions and the comments are about 50-50.

Hi, I usually just lurk, but I'm weighing in to say that I totally agree with your post.

The cynic in me believes that many of those style 'experts', who won't go there and criticize her wedding dress choice/s, I am sure don't want to disparage Meghan's bridal dress in any way out of fear that she might not ever even consider any of them, respectively, for outfits in future. I certainly wouldn't hire a designer who had dissed my choice of wedding gowns! I don't mean ALL of them, but I am quite sure that SOME of them are holding back on what they REALLY think just to ensure that Meghan won't have any reason not to come knocking at their door one day for an outfit or two. Just saying.

I was very disappointed when Meghan stepped out of the car in that dress. My mom, as well as all the other women in my extended family pretty much didn't like it, thinking like me that it was a very plain, basic looking dress although it fits her slim build extremely well. I loved the veil! I just didn't love the dress, it didn't live up to the hype as far as I am concerned. Without the veil and that lovely tiara, imo, the dress would have faded out of view completely. But it's to Meghan's taste obviously and others here have expressed that they love it. To each their own. I've seen many wedding dresses with that similar silhouette over the years, it just seemed like same old same old to me. That being said, as she left the church it was stunning when her veil (again - that glorious veil!) billowed out behind her. It left quite the impression. I LOVED her evening (second reception?) party dress. Again, I've seen that same style before but it draped over her figure splendidly. She perhaps lost some weight and there was no time to give the first dress a 'final' fitting, or tuck or two here and there but it didn't fit as badly imo as some here appear to think. The second dress was slamming on her, it fit beautifully! Meghan does have great shoulders!

My mom and I are both rather shaking our heads at the price for such a basic looking dress! My mom was like, is the material made of solid gold or something? I told her probably something very like lol! I know the designer flew around the world (which I'm sure added to the cost...) trying to find the perfect blend of silks or something along those lines.

I was very pleased that Meghan asked for her state's flower to be incorporated into the veil along with that of the UK's and Commonwealth nations. Queen Elizabeth II did this long ago with both her wedding and Coronation gowns IIRC from bios about her that I've read.

Also want to add that the late Queen Mary of Teck had SPLENDID taste when it comes to tiaras! Her 1890s cameo was fitted beautifully by her jewelers into a tiara back in the day! Brava Queen Mary and the Royal Jewelers of her day!

Last edited:
This is Meghan's second marriage, so a bead and lace fest of a wedding gown would have been too much. The bateau neckline pushed the dress code a bit: no bare shoulders. It's also part of Meghan's style, simple lines but the devil is in the details. The details was the veil with her home state and Commonwealth flowers and Harry's great-great-grandmother's tiara. The Cartier earrings and bracelet topped it off nicely.

Here are some some gowns from celebrity weddings in 2017:
http://www.glamourmagazine.co.uk/gallery/celebrity-weddings

Quite a few of these wedding gowns would not have passed muster with the queen. Meghan had to send a message she is committed to working and serving the UK and the Commonwealth. Sexy wedding gown says I want to hold on to my Hollywood life.

Wickstead? She must have received online blowback for her comments about Meghan's look for her wedding to shut it down. But to the level of vicious? Not good.

Last edited:
:previous: I agree, the unacceptable behaviour of some was scary, but for most of us it was just . . . what! I still find it hard to believe that a professional woman should behave in such an unprofessional way.

To be in a snit about something is one thing, but to publicly lambast both the dress and the bride herself was very bitchy. But the words she used about Meghan were personal, dismissive and snobbish exposing a not a very pleasant person for all to see. Her unbelievable public tantrum has the potential to adversely affect her business and reputation which, in her line of work is no small consideration.

@Lady Sarah Chatto, I agree with your assessment on designers praising Meghan's dress. At this point it seems more like obligation to me, plus I'm sure they all have the same dress in their collection.

Just read what Emilia said and I agree with her, the fit wasn't good and her hair looked subpar. Its definitely an overreaction to throw hate at this woman for such basic criticisms.

Last edited:
:previous: I agree, the unacceptable behaviour of some was scary, but for most of us it was just . . . what! I still find it hard to believe that a professional woman should behave in such an unprofessional way.

To be in a snit about something is one thing, but to publicly lambast both the dress and the bride herself was very bitchy. But the words she used about Meghan were personal, dismissive and snobbish exposing a not a very pleasant person for all to see. Her unbelievable public tantrum has the potential to adversely affect her business and reputation which, in her line of work is no small consideration.

I still haven't seen a source other than the Daily Mail/Sebastian Shakespeare and he doesn't say where this information came from. I want more details--who did she say this to or write this to?

She’s probably far better known across the ocean than US. She’s no Givenchy, that’s for sure.

I have no doubt a majority of Americans specifically everyday housewives have never heard of Emilia nor her designs before this unfortunate incident. Sadly, it is clear that a majority of American housewives are too busy following unoriginal designs from Macy’s or dressing in tacky Athleisure clothing. :whistling:

With that being said, Givenchy has not been Givenchy since the late count, Hubert, officially retired in 1995.

I have no doubt a majority of Americans specifically everyday housewives have never heard of Emilia nor her designs before this unfortunate incident. Sadly, it is clear that a majority of American housewives are too busy following unoriginal designs from Macy’s or dressing in tacky Athleisure clothing. :whistling:

With that being said, Givenchy has not been Givenchy since the late count, Hubert, officially retired in 1995.

What does housewives or Macy's have to do with this? There are plenty of women in US that enjoys fashion, and doesn't see anything special with Emilia Wickstead. There is no need to insult a portion of population just because Emilia Wickstead isn't that well known.

This dress is actually quite reflective of the classic Givenchy and Audrey Hepburn style.

Not everyone enjoys following fashion. Nor can many/most middle class women afford to dress in even Emilia Wickstead. Many would not find it worth their time to follow designers they can't afford or justify spending $1500 or more on a dress that doesn't fit into their lifestyle.

@Lady Sarah Chatto, I agree with your assessment on designers praising Meghan's dress. At this point it seems more like obligation to me, plus I'm sure they all have the same dress in their collection.

Just read what Emilia said and I agree with her, the fit wasn't good and her hair looked subpar. Its definitely an overreaction to throw hate at this woman for such basic criticisms.

If she was you, just a normal every day person spurting opinions sure :lol:

But this is a designer, a designer who often dresses members of the BRF, who accused Meghan of wearing a cheap Knock off of her gown. Its sour grapes at best. You didn't hire me so I am going to bad mouth you to the public, and say accuse you of stealing my designs.:bang:

It looks like Emilia has found a niche dressing posh people in the UK. She is not popular here--I had never heard of her.

There is only one source so far, but if Emilia never said these things, you'd think she'd release a statement to that effect. Regardless of what you may think of a bride's wedding ensemble, it is quite rude to some out publicly to say so, especially when the bride is in-law to several of your high-profile clients. Not to mention the fact, the bride herself has also worn your designs!

:previous:I still want more attribution as to where and to whom this was supposedly said by Emilia Wickstead. I have read many articles about this--a number don't give any source, and the rest cite The Daily Mail as the source.

So now everyone is okay ruining a woman's business and life because of a Daily Mail fly by from Sebastian Shakespeare?

I am not comfortable with it, but if someone was trashing my reputation, I'd come out and say so. It's kind of weird that she hasn't yet.

What does housewives or Macy's have to do with this? There are plenty of women in US that enjoys fashion, and doesn't see anything special with Emilia Wickstead. There is no need to insult a portion of population just because Emilia Wickstead isn't that well known.

This dress is actually quite reflective of the classic Givenchy and Audrey Hepburn style.
:applauds: There is a lot of immature disdain for America and Americans on this forum. Having to insult a population who has done nothing to warrant it is sad.

If she was you, just a normal every day person spurting opinions sure [emoji38]

But this is a designer, a designer who often dresses members of the BRF, who accused Meghan of wearing a cheap Knock off of her gown. Its sour grapes at best. You didn't hire me so I am going to bad mouth you to the public, and say accuse you of stealing my designs.:bang:
Sour grapes or not there are those who agree with what she said. I commend any designer who doesn't praise Meghan's look out of obligation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sour grapes or not there are those who agree with what she said. I commend any designer who doesn't praise Meghan's look out of obligation.

She's not obligated to praise. However, going out of her way to trash a client that's worn her clothing is unprofessional. And I still haven't heard any commentator that said this is like that Emilia Wickstead gown like she claims there has been. So she's not right on her facts as well.

I am not comfortable with it, but if someone was trashing my reputation, I'd come out and say so. It's kind of weird that she hasn't yet.

Yes, it is odd that there has been no response. Maybe there are lawyers involved. I think I'd want lawyers if my business was going to suffer from a fake story or misrepresentation of something I said privately.

I find it hard to believe someone would say something so stupid in public, something that could harm the business they'd worked so hard to build.

I still haven't seen a source other than the Daily Mail/Sebastian Shakespeare and he doesn't say where this information came from. I want more details--who did she say this to or write this to?

Me too. If she said it, I wonder if she said it to someone in what she thought was a private conversation. It is odd that she has not issued any denials or apologies.

She didn't only trash Meghan's look, she went after another designer in saying, that the dress was a copy of hers (which even to an untrained eye is clearly untrue, the two dresses looked nothing alike).

She isn't obligated to praise her look, but her comments point a clear view why she wasn't chosen as the designer, even though she has a close working relationship with some of the royals.

I loved Meghan's dress. It was on over the top for a second time bride and it did not outshine a future Queen. For me she hit all the right notes.

Yea, I don't think the second marriage thing and whether to outshine Kate was on Meghan's mind when she picked the dress. Especially given she was wearing pure white and the dress was bigger than her dress for the first wedding. :lol: She had the look she wanted. She SHINED with the whole look while staying true to the unfussy style she likes.

One commentator I heard described it best. It was majestic and angelic at the same time.

She's not obligated to praise. However, going out of her way to trash a client that's worn her clothing is unprofessional. And I still haven't heard any commentator that said this is like that Emilia Wickstead gown like she claims there has been. So she's not right on her facts as well.
Meghan's dress looked like a hundred other dresses by a hundred other designers. You can walk into a dozen bridal shops and find it; its not groundbreaking that this lady says Meghan's dress looks like one of hers. There are similarities from the waist up and that's all. Emilia was right that the dress should have fit better and if the clothes she makes are usually as nice as I have recently seen then she will still have success as a designer because she is very talented. If you're going to talk crap at least be able to back it up.

And I hardly think Meghan cared about outshining Kate, if she did why would she choose a bigger and better tiara than Kate had? Meghan 's dress was all her own, plus if she cared about it being her second wedding why would she wear white? Meghan wore what she wanted and I think the only stipulations were the usual bridal dress codes.

Last edited:
Meghan's dress looked like a hundred other dresses by a hundred other designers. You can walk into a dozen bridal shops and find it; l

Not at Kleinfeld's:ROFLMAO: They seem to be mostly over the top embellished, strapless dresses with a few see through ones for good measure. I'm not sure they've ever shown a dress as simply elegant as Meghan's on that show.

She wasn't obliged to praise her. She wasn't obliged to say anything.

She is like the embarrassing aunt who you worry what she will say when she drinks too much.

When your business is selling to the royals and aristos, bad mouthing a royal bride is not very intelligent. She didn't have to like the dress, its accusing the bride of stealing her design, which really takes the icing.

If she had to open her mouth.....which she certainly didn't, she simply could have said it could fit better. And last I looked she was a clothing designer, her comments on hair were just more sour grape sniping. The bitter little twit taking a piss because she didn't get the job.

As for tiara....how would she Not choose something bigger then Kate???? Have you seen the halo??? There is no tiara smaller than the halo.

Last edited:
Meghan's dress looked like a hundred other dresses by a hundred other designers. You can walk into a dozen bridal shops and find it; its not groundbreaking that this lady says Meghan's dress looks like one of hers. There are similarities from the waist up and that's all. Emilia was right that the dress should have fit better and if the clothes she makes are usually as nice as I have recently seen then she will still have success as a designer because she is very talented. If you're going to talk crap at least be able to back it up.

I didn't think I was talking crap? Anyways, just because two dresses are simple, doesn't mean they are the same. The two dresses are made completely differently, and thus the fit will obviously be different. Emilia's dress had the seam around the circumference of the waist whereas Meghan's dress was held up by six seams going vertically. The structure of the dress was completely different. And simple dresses hasn't always been made completed fitted. Meghan made it clear that part of the reason she choose Clare Waight Keller was the laid back look. As previously mention, by using the material they did, it simply can't be tight. It's also a thicker material than the material I've seen, which gave it more of a structure on its own.

This was not Harry's first wedding, though, so Meghan I'm sure took that into account. Lots of designers probably had differing opinions of the dress. There is no upside to publicly trash Meghan's gown.

Nobody has to like it and just as our opinions vary greatly, so too every designer can critique another's work. Just as we are different, so too are designers and their opinions can be as diverse as possible'. However, there was a very ugly personal tenor to Ms Wicklstead's critique.

The designer didn't just claim that the gown was a rip off but that it was identical. It is not.

She sniped about the fit when unlike her gown, Megan's was not designed to fit where it touched.

Meghan's gown had no waist, whereas Wickstead's does.

Meghan's gown did not flare from the waist. Wickstead's does.

While there are limited options for different styles and designs for wedding gowns I believe that unless it is an identical copy you cannot claim ownership of the design. The way every type of silk or satin sits falls or moves is unique which is why there are so very, very many different types and colours But even a copy is different in the way the bride wears it because every woman is different.

Ms Wicksteads comments went past an objective critique of the gown. Personal comments about the way Meghan wore her hair were rudely stated and in the context of the comment was a critique of Meghan herself.

As to the truth of whether Ms Wickstead, in fact, made such a statement to Daily Mail's reporter, Sebastian Shakespeare, my imagination doesn't stretch far enough to believe said reporter created the story especially as it is now in so many other outlets, E Online, Elle, Global News, Independent, Cosmopolitan, The Sun, Express, In Style, The Cut, to name but a few. I am sure they did their due diligence prior to publishing as these comments are a little inflammatory and Mis Wickstead would be looking at a giant payday if they are wrong.

I wonder if Ms Wickstead gave any thought to the optics of the DoC wearing her designs after she allegedly accused her sister in law of design theft? [emoji30]

I had high hopes when I saw a glimpse of the upper part of the dress when Meghan was in the car, I thought this was going to be one of my favourite royal wedding dresses. When she stepped out of the car, I was a little disappointed. I like simple, but this was just too simple. Nothing that would make it stand out, no details that wow you. And the seams on the waistline and in the front part of the hem are too visible, they don't look good on such a plain dress. I really liked the upper part of the dress, the overall structure and the luxurious fabric!

The idea of the veil was lovely, but I don't think the result was that great. The veil was too long, they could have made the embroidered part wider so the veil would have been shorter. I cringed when it was dragged down the stone steps when they left the church. Poor hand embroidered flowers. That's one of the reasons you need a proper train with a long, embroidered veil, to protect the veil! Her hair was a bit of a mess and didn't go with the style of the dress. The tiara looked lovely on her, that was my favourite part!

Overall she looked beautiful and elegant, and the dress will certainly look nice enough even 50 years from now, it's a timeless design!

More attention could have been given to the gorgeous veil. To show case the embroidery, it needed to be flat. The page boys did a great job but a grown up or two could have adjusted the veil a few times during the wedding, including on the steps, when it was badly scrunched. Never-the-less the veil will be displayed somewhere in all it's glory and we shall be able to admire the detail.

I didn't think I was talking crap?

Not you Emilia. She was clearly "dissing" the dress which means she was talking crap. But some of her other designs are impressive so she has got the good to back up her arrogance. Though her version of the dress isn't any better than the one Meghan wore.
Maybe I defend Emilia because everything she said is what I have said.

@Minea and King of the Jungle, I agree with some of your opinions about the veil especially about it being too long. I think the length would have been fine if the train wasn't so short; they didn't match up well.
I would like to inquire what you mean that the embroidered part should have been wider. Also I have never been able to see the actual detail of the veil, I know it had the commonwealth flowers but I've never seen up close shots.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom