Meghan Markle's Wedding Dress

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If she's going around making those kinds of comments she may not be dressing any of them in the future. Perhaps she doesn't care about royal patronage.

LaRae

It's a very odd comment from Emilia, and doesn't reflect well on her. There was nothing earth-shatteringly original in Meghan's dress when you look at the individual elements: other brides (even royal brides) have done ¾ length sleeves, portrait or bateau necklines, unornamented gowns, long veils, etc. What made Meghan's unique was the combination of all the elements and the woman herself, that's what created the magic. If Emilia can't see the difference between Meghan's gown and her own creation, then it might explain why she wasn't chosen to create the royal wedding gown in the first place.

This also makes me move her to the bottom of the list for Eugenie's gown.

LaRae

It's a very odd comment from Emilia, and doesn't reflect well on her. There was nothing earth-shatteringly original in Meghan's dress when you look at the individual elements: other brides (even royal brides) have done ¾ length sleeves, portrait or bateau necklines, unornamented gowns, long veils, etc. What made Meghan's unique was the combination of all the elements and the woman herself, that's what created the magic. If Emilia can't see the difference between Meghan's gown and her own creation, then it might explain why she wasn't chosen to create the royal wedding gown in the first place.

Not to mention, why does this even need to be said at all? There is literally no upside to saying this.

Probably many designers have something similar to Meghan's dress in their collections.
The two dresses are not identical, so I don't see the problem.

Criticizing a royal bride's dress and styling :ohmy: Sure fire way Emilia of getting a royal customer in the future. :ermm:

To be honest, after this hit the press I'm wondering if we'll continue to see even Kate in Emilia Wickstead. I know she's been a go-to for her for a long time but even if Kate and Meghan aren't exceptionally close it seems to me that this type of rude and unnecessary comment might require a bit of a show of unity.

Well, someone is feeling very catty. Sorry you were not the designer Emilia :argh:
I rarely find Emilia's pieces to be well done. Something always looks off with them. But I also feel the same about Stella but loved Meghan's evening gown from her lol.

Meghan's £200k gown was identical to one of mine, says designer | Daily Mail Online

I was literally just about to post this. Is Emilia Wickstead biting the hands that feed her? Kate and Sophie have worn her clothing, as well as Meghan here: http://madaboutmeghan.blogspot.com/2018/04/first-look-william-harry-and-meghan.html

Isn't she a favorite of the Royal family? WOW!!! It would surprise me if they wore her clothing again. It is one thing to speak about the fit of a gown (she is a designer) but to attack her hairstyle is another. However, this article is in the Daily Fail so I am a little skeptical of its accuracy.

Last edited:
Meghan's dress was stunning in its simplicity. The material was rich and of such amazing quality. The train added some body and drama. THE VEIL! Just swoon. The veil and tiara was perfect. Coupled with the dramatic stairs, the excellent sunlight and the gorgeous flower arch? It was a truly iconic sight!

A simple gown worked for a modern gal like Meghan. Plus, anything more ornate would have clashed with Chapel I think.

The sum of the different parts made this IMO an unforgettable royal look. It has left a big and lasting impression on me, and I was someone who was skeptical about what her choice would be. But I gasped when she came out of the car and started up the stairs.

So Emilia, your opinion is noted. But your sour grapes are showing. There is a lot of daylight between Meghan's gown and Emilia's...

I loved her gown too. I never noticed whether or not it "fit". I was just overwhelmed by its beauty.

Wow, I'm very surprised that a designer would publicly make such catty, unprofessional comments. It's one thing to critique the dress itself but to go on about Meghan's hair and how the dress looks like her design is simply foolish. I hope that was worth risking Meghan declining to wear her designs in the future.

To be honest, after this hit the press I'm wondering if we'll continue to see even Kate in Emilia Wickstead. I know she's been a go-to for her for a long time but even if Kate and Meghan aren't exceptionally close it seems to me that this type of rude and unnecessary comment might require a bit of a show of unity.

Agreed. Also, the tabloids will make something of it if Kate continues to wear this designer.

I think she will regret making those remarks, assuming they are accurate/true.

LaRae

Wow, I'm very surprised that a designer would publicly make such catty, unprofessional comments. It's one thing to critique the dress itself but to go on about Meghan's hair and how the dress looks like her design is simply foolish. I hope that was worth risking Meghan declining to wear her designs in the future.

Meghan's hair, wedding gown, the fit and any similarity to her own designs are truly none of the designer's business. Truly bizarre.

I'm also beginning to wonder if Emilia Wickstead would have been quite so outspoken if Meghan's wedding dress had been from a UK design house, as opposed to from a French design house with a British designer. I wouldn't be surprised if that decision rubbed some of the UK designers the wrong way.

Meghan's hair, wedding gown, the fit and any similarity to her own designs are truly none of the designer's business. Truly bizarre.

Yes. Very odd comments. And VERY stupid ones to make as a designer, who supposedly would like to have Meghan as their customer in the future.

Well, someone is feeling very catty. Sorry you were not the designer Emilia :argh:
I rarely find Emilia's pieces to be well done. Something always looks off with them. But I also feel the same about Stella but loved Meghan's evening gown from her lol.

Meghan's £200k gown was identical to one of mine, says designer | Daily Mail Online
There was nothing unique about Meghan's dress so I'm sure it looked like dozens of other dresses made by other designers, don't know why they all don't come out with their similar designs. I believe someone already pointed out the dress looked like some woman named Angela.

Last edited:
The designer's Twitter account appears to be down.

Who got Emilia Wickstead’s Twitter account suspended? Interesting.

Don't know. Maybe people were trolling her, and she got in their faces. Seems like she'd issue a press release, if the story's inaccurate.

Why would they suspend her twitter? And the comments on her Instagram account are terrible. I get that folks are upset about Emilia's comments, but attacking her looks and calling her all kinds of hateful names is really over the line.

Anyone that makes wedding dresses would have a style like Meghan’s. It is a very plain and common dress it’s the veil that’s makes it different to everyone else

You are all correct. She was a potential deep pockets customer. The gown was not that unusual or exciting. Why make a fuss, be smart.

I am very surprised by Emila’s public comments. That was uncalled for.

However, I am more surprised and shocked by the vicious and psycho comments made by those, fans of Meghan, who are coming after Emilia and her family on her personal Instagram account.

It is clear that there are so many individuals in this world that need psychiatric help. The comments I read towards Emilia are down right scary.

Truly sad.

There was nothing unique about Meghan's dress so I'm sure it looked like dozens of other dresses made by other designers, don't know why they all don't come out with their similar designs. I believe someone already pointed out the dress looked like some woman named Angela.

Angela of Lichtenstein. Until Meghan, the only person of African ancestry (she is Afro-Panamanian) to marry into a major European royal house. She has a batteau but just barely, no where near as wide as Meghan's, its more the simplicity and 3/4 sleeves. But there are other royal dresses with such traits.

I was literally just about to post this. Is Emilia Wickstead biting the hands that feed her? Kate and Sophie have worn her clothing, as well as Meghan here: http://madaboutmeghan.blogspot.com/2...nd-meghan.html

Isn't she a favorite of the Royal family? WOW!!! It would surprise me if they wore her clothing again. It is one thing to speak about the fit of a gown (she is a designer) but to attack her hairstyle is another. However, this article is in the Daily Fail so I am a little skeptical of its accuracy.

I'd be happy if she never wore Emilia again. That black outfit was my least favorite thing Meghan wore so far. The style was way too matronly for her, and the coat was boxy.

I am shocked that a businesswoman who depends on a certain clientele would publicly say anything like this. It sounds more like a disgruntled child but her children aren't old enough to write anything.
I can see her venting to a friend, but I'd be darn sure it couldn't go public.

ETA:

Did anyone actually see this on Emilia'a social media?

I went looking for the original source of this--Lainey Gossip says it was the Daily Mail. And it seems possible the original "reporter" is Sebastian Shakespeare who cites no source.

Last edited:
Poor Claire Wait Keller of Givenchy having a design made up that didn't fit royalty perfectly!
I would have expected so much more of a well known designer. Her design sense and abilities to produce for special customers will be questioned in the future.
Very sad indeed that on her great day, Meghan could not sparkle as she should have been allowed. I expect that it will be some time that she is not allowed to outshine the Heir to the Throne's wife ( Kate) or at least will be required to tone it down. No one however could take the smile from her face on the day. A dream for her has come true.
The veil...what can I say...it was simply beautiful and meaningful. Well done you young ladies sitting for hours inweaving and sewing the emblems of the entire commonwealth! Well done. I would love to see this up close.

Last edited:
Looking at Mary of Teck's wedding veil, there is nothing similar. Mary wore her mother's 'floating lace veil' which left her face uncovered in the ceremony.

https://www.theweddingsecret.co.uk/magazine/iconic-wedding-dresses-queen-mary/

Meghan's veil was new, and the design worked on by the designer of her dress.

https://people.com/royals/royal-wedding-meghan-markle-veil-commonwealth-connection/

Mary of Teck's wedding dress had the flowers of the different UK realms included in it. Maybe that is where the thought comes from??
It is from Mary of Teck's wedding dress which had the flowers that the thought came from. Countessmeout, Thank you for the correct information.

Poor Claire Wait Keller of Givenchy having a design made up that didn't fit royalty perfectly!
I would have expected so much more of a well known designer. Her design sense and abilities to produce for special customers will be questioned in the future.
Very sad indeed that on her great day, Meghan could not sparkle as she should have been allowed. I expect that it will be some time that she is not allowed to outshine the Heir to the Throne's wife ( Kate) or at least will be required to tone it down. No one however could take the smile from her face on the day. A dream for her has come true.
The veil...what can I say...it was simply beautiful and meaningful. Well done you young ladies sitting for hours inweaving and sewing the emblems of the entire commonwealth! Well done. I would love to see this up close.

I felt she sparkled quite well. She looked gorgeous and the dress has a timeless feel especially in the pictures. In my opinion it was a perfect choice.

It is a shame that the designer felt the need to make such crass comments (if true) but she has a right to her opinion. But I am also not surprised by the backlash either.

I had never heard of Emelia prior to this, but certainly have now. Maybe this was a way of getting attention and making er 'name' known?

I had never heard of Emelia prior to this, but certainly have now. Maybe this was a way of getting attention and making er 'name' known?

No. Emilia was quite well-known in the fashion world and the aristocratic/Jet-set/socialite circles prior to this drama.

Back
Top Bottom