Meghan Markle's Wedding Dress

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did not like the wedding dress - but it is typical of someone older and who is marrying for the 2nd time around

Hmmm, that’s an interesting perspective. Because if we are talking about what’s appropriate for second marriage in the old time, she went completely opposite. :lol: And some did try to make remarks about what she shouldn’t wear based on that when the dress was speculated. Or are you talking about another standard?

Hmmm, that’s an interesting perspective. Because if we are talking about what’s appropriate for second marriage in the old time, she went completely opposite. :lol: And some did try to make remarks about what she shouldn’t wear based on that when the dress was speculated. Or are you talking about another standard?

Yes, the very long veil and white dress do not say second wedding or older bride if you are using older standards or ideas.
Camilla's outfit to marry Charles at the guildhall was more typical of the 2nd wedding, older bride stereotype.
ETA-although Camilla's outfit was white.

Last edited:
That's because the press don't know who Angela is! They can barely tell Beatrice and Eugenie apart, let alone a Princess from Liechtenstein.

I loved Meghan's whole wedding outfit; the dress needed the veil and the veil needed the dress to be complete. And that tiara needed to be worn again; what a stunner! Much better to see it now that those old black and white photos of Queen Mary. I thought Meghan's dress very suitable to becoming a Royal; not a hint of Hollywood. Even the earrings and bracelet were Royal-looking, just great (though I myself am a fan of dangly earrings rather than studs). And Prince Harry and Meghan looked so happy. I hope it continues forever. And the official wedding photo was just so well-composed and lovely. I watched over 8 hours of TV on Saturday and it all held my interest.

THIS. The gown without the veil and tiara was very ordinary. The spectacular veil "finished" the look and put it over the top, just as a bridal veil is supposed to do.

Well. I fully admit that I've been very, very critical of almost all of what we've seen from Meghan fashion-wise up to this point. But, credit where it's due, I was absolutely floored in the absolute best possible way with both of her wedding day looks. She was absolutely spot-on for both looks and she was stunning.

Her actual wedding dress/veil/tiara combo could not have been more perfect and her evening look was fabulous.

Here's to hoping that this glorious fashion streak continues for the new Duchess of Sussex!

The Duchess of Sussex's wedding attire was absolutely sublime! I agree with Moonmaiden and others who said that the dress had to have the veil and vice versa. The veil and tiara were meant to stand out and the dress was more subtle but very elegant. The Duchess knows the meaning of "less is more"! ?

I feel exactly the same way, soapstar. I was all set to be impressed, I envisioned her in something edgy and trend setting. Some elements were amazing (the veil and tiara), but overall it was just very meh imo. I much preferred the evening dress, that was more along the lines of the look I pictured her in.

The "evening dress" was exactly that. Fine as that. Totally inappropriate as a wedding dress for a royal bride, though.

I have to agree. The evening wedding gown was right on to express her individuality, her style and actually it was more a design suitable for a evening party or gala than to be an actual wedding gown.

After a couple of days musing over the entire look Meghan presented in her wedding dress, I've come to realize that the overall picture of what she expressed as she glided down the aisle towards Harry was, if I had to pin a label on it, one of humility. She wasn't dressed in a "look at me" kind of way but rather a picture of simplicity that stated "I have come to give myself to you" and mirrored the wedding vows she took. For this to actually have more meaning, I think that's why she included wearing the blusher. That way, not only did the tiara remain kind of "hidden", but the first person that actually looked at her face straight on was Harry. His face said it all.

It might sound pretty fanciful and romanticizing things but some things don't hit you until you think about them for a while. :D

I have to agree. The evening wedding gown was right on to express her individuality, her style and actually it was more a design suitable for a evening party or gala than to be an actual wedding gown.

After a couple of days musing over the entire look Meghan presented in her wedding dress, I've come to realize that the overall picture of what she expressed as she glided down the aisle towards Harry was, if I had to pin a label on it, one of humility. She wasn't dressed in a "look at me" kind of way but rather a picture of simplicity that stated "I have come to give myself to you" and mirrored the wedding vows she took. For this to actually have more meaning, I think that's why she included wearing the blusher. That way, not only did the tiara remain kind of "hidden", but the first person that actually looked at her face straight on was Harry. His face said it all.

It might sound pretty fanciful and romanticizing things but some things don't hit you until you think about them for a while. :D

Yep, the evening dress is probably closer to what she would have worn if she was marrying a normal Harry Windsor instead of HRH Prince Henry of Wales, while the church dress was a mix of her style and royal sensibilities.

I personally loved the wedding dress, tiara and the whole outfit. I loved the simplicity and elegance of it all.

Italian commentators remarked the choice of white dress as quite inappropriate for a divorced, 36 years old woman, as white is the color for a young virgin, as well as the loose fit of the dress which looked awkward on her belly and would have needed a last minute fitting - and I would expect that from Gyvenchy, honestly ;):flowers:

The dress is so boring, there is nothing special in it, nothing of person Meghan in it. And the veil is absolutely way too long, although it is beautiful. It never looks good when the veil is longer than the train.

Loved the dress and the veil but I agree that they didn't match well. If she was going to have a lovely big cathedral veil it needed a train that was at least almost as long but she didn't so the overall look was just odd IMO.

A long train would of ruined the gorgeous effect of the 16 foot veil.

LaRae

Loved the dress and the veil but I agree that they didn't match well. If she was going to have a lovely big cathedral veil it needed a train that was at least almost as long but she didn't so the overall look was just odd IMO.

Queen Elizabeth's veil was very long also, much longer than her dress.

Meghan's veil would not have been so ethereal if the train of the dress had been under it. And the dress would have been incredibly heavy with a really long train.

You know, I understand the objections being raised, because anger over colonialism is still a hot topic in many of the former British colonies. But I also think that it was a lovely and well meant gesture on Meghan's part, and that's worth remembering, too.
First I want to say I also am no fan of veils being so much longer than the train, maybe a little bit longer but not as much as Meghan had it. But the symbolism she had sewn into the veil was a wonderful and beautiful gesture.

The way I look at it is that you can't separate the dress from the veil. And that's why they display the veil with the dress at exhibitions. The veil is part of the dress. Especially when the veil is the a showstopper like that. I'd shutter to think what it would look like to pair it with an normally impressive dress. It was quite classic and the way it came together at the bottom was quite marvelous. I will always have that image of Meghan walking up the West Steps and you can see the outline of her dress under that veil. It was simply breathtaking. It'd be really nice for a bride that doesn't get a veil quite like that to add some embroidery and beading onto the dress though. BUT I'M SO GLAD THERE IS NO LACE! :lol:

See it's easy for me to separate the two because I feel the dress should be able to stand on it's own. For me the dress was just so blah. IMO, the veil should not be doing all of the work...it should act as an accessory and compliment the dress. If you need the veil to make the dress, then the dress isn't that impressive.

Some of my favorite royal gowns are lace, so I wouldn't have been put off if she had worn it. But I had a feeling she wasn't going to go that route. Her style isn't very fussy, so I expected her wedding dress to be a little more modern and structured.

First I want to say I also am no fan of veils being so much longer than the train, maybe a little bit longer but not as much as Meghan had it. But the symbolism she had sewn into the veil was a wonderful and beautiful gesture.

Yes I agree, the veil can get away with being longer than the train but in this case the huge veil and MUCH shorter train looked like two separate entities and I don't think it worked which was a shame.

See it's easy for me to separate the two because I feel the dress should be able to stand on it's own. For me the dress was just so blah. IMO, the veil should not be doing all of the work...it should act as an accessory and compliment the dress. If you need the veil to make the dress, then the dress isn't that impressive.

Some of my favorite royal gowns are lace, so I wouldn't have been put off if she had worn it. But I had a feeling she wasn't going to go that route. Her style isn't very fussy, so I expected her wedding dress to be a little more modern and structured.

I'm laced out after the last few years in general. Wedding dress or otherwise. :lol:

Honestly, I wish more brides would consider the whole look overall. Most veils I see are more just kinda there so something is. I haven't seen much special. And I don't think it is the veil doing all the work because the dress isn't there. They worked in unison together to make the overall look. I think a more elaborate dress would've been too much, and closer to Diana 2.0. Given the West Step being the way it is, the most dramatic is to have a long train as she is going up and down the stairs. But having that on the dress with a long train can always causing a suffocating feeling when looking at it because it could look so heavy. That's why lace is so popular, it gives a lighter and softer feel. The way her veil is done, it gave her the dramatic look and also looked light enough that it's almost as if she's floating. With veil like that, the dress needs to go easy. And I'm much glad to have one centerpiece as the showstopper than get two pieces that are just beautiful, but nothing special.

It was both classic, sleek, non-fussy, and modern, but a showstopper.

Eh...I completely disagree. I don't think a more elaborate dress would have been too much. But I don't want to keep going around and around about it. :lol:

The dress does nothing for me, but I'm sure Meghan loves it and at the end of the day that's all that matters.

Eh...I completely disagree. I don't think a more elaborate dress would have been too much. But I don't want to keep going around and around about it. :lol:

The dress does nothing for me, but I'm sure Meghan loves it and at the end of the day that's all that matters.

I would of been surprised to see her in a elaborate dress. Even with the engagement dress being more elaborate....I did expect her to do streamline for her wedding dress.

For me the dress has a slight Renaissance feel to it.

LaRae

Queen Elizabeth's veil was very long also, much longer than her dress.

Meghan's veil would not have been so ethereal if the train of the dress had been under it. And the dress would have been incredibly heavy with a really long train.
Actually, I think she took the idea of the train from the Queen's train, light and ethereal.

IMO the wedding ensemble is a statement of Meghan's style modified to fit the wedding. The processional was stunning and really added to the general aura of lightness and did not distract the congregation with ohhs and ahhs, instead, it flowed along to the altar and while I was not in favour of her wearing a blusher, I am now a believer. When Harry lifted her veil it was a visual feast of joy and love and you really can't do better than that.

IMO the wedding ensemble is a statement of Meghan's style modified to fit the wedding. The processional was stunning and really added to the general aura of lightness and did not distract the congregation with ohhs and ahhs, instead, it flowed along to the altar and while I was not in favour of her wearing a blusher, I am now a believer. When Harry lifted her veil it was a visual feast of joy and love and you really can't do better than that.

I agree. I'm not generally fan of blushers either but it was lovely and added to the ethereal look and seeing her beuatiful face when he lifted the veil.

I love the look her veil created. (The photo in this link captures it particularly well with the sunlight hitting her as she walked down the aisle.)
https://www.biography.com/news/facts-about-royal-wedding-dress-designer-clare-waight-keller

The veil was beautiful the dress was a very plain style that was too big. I’m surprised the fit was so bad I gather she lost weight but for the amount it would have cost they should have been up all night fixing it

I'm not understanding why people think her dress was ill fitted. That was not the style of this dress, it was not supposed to be body hugging or slinky, nor would that have worked with the fabric with which it was made.

Fashion Maven explained (and she would know) already about how it would be impossible to even lift her arms if the dress had been 'fitted' tighter than it was.

LaRae

Back
Top Bottom