Meghan Markle's Wedding Dress

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If the train had been long then it would of taken away from the veil. You can see close up shots on line..just google or look on twitter even.

LaRae

Given the weight of the material used, had the train been any longer it would have pulled her over backwards as she went up the steps. The sketch I made, before the dress made it's entry, had a much longer train. I can see how it wouldn't have worked.
A point which keeps being raised is the perceived poor fit of the dress. Having watched an American programme about brides, I've noticed two things. A) There seems to be a penchant for designers to make the dresses in two parts -even the sleeveless 'bosom heavers'- by having a seam round the waist and some sort of blingy belt. B) The brides all seem to choose dresses at least a size too small resulting in a painted on, poured into effect. Meghan's dress had no waist seam, so no blingy belt was needed to hide it. Indeed, it would have ruined the whole effect of elegance, simplicity and majesty. Nor was it a style which would have benefited from looking as if it had been cut to reveal every part of her body. It was a beautifully understated epitome of less is more.

Again, everything is opinion. I didn’t think the dress fit properly. To say it’s supposed to look that way doesn’t change my opinion.

The same with Meghan’s hair. Her stylist came out and said her hair was supposed to look the way it did. Still doesn’t make me think it look good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fem
I don't think anyone is trying to change anyone else's mind. Simply stating why, from a design perspective, it wouldn't have worked. Those expressing their opinion that it fits the way its supposed to is the same as those expressing their opinion that it didn't fit right.

Those expressing their opinion that it fits the way its supposed to is the same as those expressing their opinion that it didn't fit right.

That’s what I was trying to say. You put it better. There’s no right or wrong opinion when it comes to something as subjective as fashion.

That’s what I was trying to say. You put it better. There’s no right or wrong opinion when it comes to something as subjective as fashion.
Let's not take my comment out of context by only including a portion of it. :lol: My complete point was that some are just trying to point out the issues with some saying how changes should've been made to fit and such. I think we've all been here long enough to know we won't change some minds, but a discussion of facts can be had (such as seams, material etc.) and that is not subjective.

Last edited:
Look I can see where this is going, we’re back in a repeating loop. If the material she picked couldn’t be tailored to Meghan’s figure to make it look like it fit properly, then in my opinion pick another material.

Meghan went with a designer, material and seams and whatever else she thought would look good. She no doubt was happy but it was a miss for me. Her evening dress was much better, again imo.

Last edited:
The evening dress is a totally different kind of dress..you can't compare that to her wedding dress.

LaRae

Look I can see where this is going, we’re back in a repeating loop. If the material she picked couldn’t be tailored to Meghan’s figure to make it look like it fit properly, then in my opinion pick another material.

Meghan went with a designer, material and seams and whatever else she thought would look good. She no doubt was happy but it was a miss for me. Her evening dress was much better, again imo.

Absolutely, had she wished to look as if she'd got her dress from the salon which stocks "Say Yes To The Dress" designs she was free to have done so. She clearly preferred elegant and discreet, which, in the formal setting of history going back centuries, was perfect..................as was the evening dress perfect for it's place at a less formal occasion where guests could let their hair down. Neither gown would have been interchangeable.

Again, everything is opinion. I didn’t think the dress fit properly. To say it’s supposed to look that way doesn’t change my opinion.

The same with Meghan’s hair. Her stylist came out and said her hair was supposed to look the way it did. Still doesn’t make think it look good.
Too true, too many hear are trying to stop opinions by saying "its supposed to look that way" or "as long as the bride is happy.
The dress being too big is one thing but there is no excuse for that hair.
The funny thing is is the sketch the the Australian artist did made the dress look much better.

@Rudolph the evening dress was basic to me as well. But I'm glad you liked it. Funny thing is both Kate and Meghan had evening dresses that looked like they were going to their prom.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fem

THAts assuming Meghan wanted a completely fitted look in the first place. Which is contradictory to one of the reasons she picked Clare Waight Keller as stated by the KP release. And they likely searched for the double bonded cady silk because it allows the dress to hold up without being fitted to a point where it looked like it’s painted on her. She got what she wanted and it fitted the way she wanted is the bottom line. As most wedding seamstress would tell you, alterations can be made uptil the morning of the wedding. Clare and her staff were at Cliveden quite early on as most of bridal team and KP staff were all reportedly there by 5AM. I have to go back and look, but pretty sure Givenchy’s new season was laid back tailor style as well.

And btw, her evening gown wasn’t completely fitted either. It suits the bride well as there is always something more relaxed about her style and she’s never hidden that.

Last edited:
This dress is actually quite reflective of the classic Givenchy and Audrey Hepburn style.

It is. I honestly shudder to think of all the criticism Givenchy and Audrey would have received for the looser fit designs Audrey wore. And I'm not just talking loose sleeves but "shapeless" dresses that did not accentuate her curves at all.

I understand those who would have preferred a tighter fit but the material simply didn't allow for that and I don't think it was needed. I can't recall who exactly said it but a fashion critic noted that the dress skimmed Meghan's body instead clinging to it and I like that description. The neckline was the standout but the subtle accentuation of the waist and hips was lovely as well. It's a very chic design that is elevated by that fantastic veil and tiara. My favorite bridal look, for sure.

Last edited:
One anecdote about the dress. I was listening to Emily Andrews and Omid’s podcast, and she was kicking herself so much because she had a tip of Clare Waight Keller being the designer and was ready to write it. She went to Clare and walked away completely convinced that her tip was wrong and didn’t write the story. Apparently, Clare didn’t over deny it and told her she’s never met Meghan, but would love to work with Meghan in the future. Emily said her source says Meghan and Clare has met several times in London, and Clare’s response was “but I work in Paris”. The royal secret was kept thanks to the cleverness of Ms. Waight Keller. :lol:

Reactions: ACO
I finally listened to their podcast yesterday and heard that story!

LaRae

Well THAT was a non response. She didn't deny it but was "saddened" by the commentary. This is just a no win situation for EW.

She says she doesn’t think Meghan’s wedding dress was a copy of any of her designs. That was the original accusation levelled against her by the ever reliable Sebastian Shakespeare and the Daily Fail. :whistling:

Seems like a good response to me.

Yeah, I am not sure how this statement makes anything better. It wasn't a firm denial. Seems more like a pr move to calm the criticism and it's just too little too late for that. Really shouldn't have taken more than a day for her to respond.

One anecdote about the dress. I was listening to Emily Andrews and Omid’s podcast, and she was kicking herself so much because she had a tip of Clare Waight Keller being the designer and was ready to write it. She went to Clare and walked away completely convinced that her tip was wrong and didn’t write the story. Apparently, Clare didn’t over deny it and told her she’s never met Meghan, but would love to work with Meghan in the future. Emily said her source says Meghan and Clare has met several times in London, and Clare’s response was “but I work in Paris”. The royal secret was kept thanks to the cleverness of Ms. Waight Keller. :lol:

I loved that story. Emily Andrews was beside herself that she was fooled. Clare was clever. I am glad it seems they have a great working relationship and I am sure it will continue for years to come. Poor Emily. ?

As for Emilia Wickstead? I am glad she said something. It was needed but I think she took way too long to put out this statement though. She waited and allowed it to grow as it was picked up in the mainstream media. Either way she did and it is what it is. It is all about damage control now.

I am sure we likely won't be seeing her designs on Meghan in the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
If it’s the word of a gossip writer at the DM versus a designer who’s dressed royalty for years, I’m going with the designer. Meghan may not wear her designs in the future but I’m sure Kate will.

Well Kate wasn't the person allegedly insulted. It will be interesting to see if it does affect her relationship with the royal household.

I don't take DF seriously and questioned the comments but Emilia is the one who let it simmer for days and create a life of it's own. Her PR team were irresponsible to allow this story to grow like it did especially if it was false. They did her no favors.

If it’s the word of a gossip writer at the DM versus a designer who’s dressed royalty for years, I’m going with the designer. Meghan may not wear her designs in the future but I’m sure Kate will.

You're going with the designer who waited days to respond and still couldn't bother to say, unequivocally, that she never made these comments? Sorry but the DM wins this round. :lol:

She probably thought the story would be treated like most Sebastian Shakespeare stories, used to line a birdcage.

The man writes rubbish on a daily basis. I have no idea why people treated this particular story as if it was handed down from the mountain top.

Emilia didn’t actually deny she made those statements.

I think it was a shame she had to give any response. She was hounded and threatened on social media all because of a Sebastian Shakespeare story.

EW has dressed the great and the good in Britain for years. She has a major Patron in the Duchess of Cambridge. She wouldn’t risked that by making stupid comments.

Again the thing that makes my head spin is all of a sudden Sebastian Shakespeare is being treated like he’s Walter Winchell. He’s a ‘diarist’. Which in DM speak means he writes crapola

Emilia didn’t actually deny she made those statements.

That also was interesting. Instead she just heaped praise on Meghan, Clare and Givenchy. Anyways, I am glad she said something. I still have trouble believing she would risk professional relationships in such a manner. That is why I side-eyed the whole thing but her silence just made it worse. Hopefully it starts to blow over now.

Emilia is not well served by her PR team with this statement.

Wickstead's statement was for damage control. She is not only patronized by the Royals and aristos but her clothes are sold in various retailers across the globe. My guess is women who buy store level Wickstead complained to the corporate offices of those stores and told them they are boycotting Wickstead clothes or boycott the store for carrying the line because what she said about Meghan. Corporate reached out to Wickstead's people, telling her to clean it up or the company drops her line from the stores. Wickstead's business would take a real bad hit on its bottom line and no amount or royal and aristocratic patronage would help recover the loss. Thus, the statement to staunch the bleeding.

Back
Top Bottom