Meghan Markle's Wedding Dress

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I suppose this is Wickstead’s way of eating ‘humble pie’ on a grand scale. I doubt Her Royal Highness will give her second thought ;)

That will be entirely up to Meghan but she’s not the only game in town. I doubt people who are wearing EW are going to stop because of a Sebastian Shakespeare story in the DM.

:previous:
I also think many are making too much of this.

Wickstead has a similar design; probably many other designers do as well.
There is no such thing as a totally unique wedding dress; they are all derivative.

I doubt Meghan or Kate would give Wickstead's comments a thought!

That will be entirely up to Meghan but she’s not the only game in town. I doubt people who are wearing EW are going to stop because of a Sebastian Shakespeare story in the DM.
It is not 'story'. Ms Wickstead was directly quoted using a less than professional tone, and criticised both the designer and Meghan herself.

For a woman in her position it was incredibly indiscreet. That it took so long for her to make a statement says a lot. That the statement didn't come via her solicitor says even more.
Absolutely, had she wished to look as if she'd got her dress from the salon which stocks "Say Yes To The Dress" designs she was free to have done so. She clearly preferred elegant and discreet, which, in the formal setting of history going back centuries, was perfect..................as was the evening dress perfect for it's place at a less formal occasion where guests could let their hair down. Neither gown would have been interchangeable.

:previous:
I also think many are making too much of this.

Wickstead has a similar design; probably many other designers do as well.
There is no such thing as a totally unique wedding dress; they are all derivative.

I doubt Meghan or Kate would give Wickstead's comments a thought!

Yes, many designers would have a similar dress style. Nothing to worry about :flowers:

What is worrisome is when a designer attacks a potential customer, on a global scale....that is an issue. Emilia should be a grown up woman and know that there will be many designers similar to her own.

Actually she made the comment Givenchy inspires her. Maybe she is the one who is copying :whistling:

Yeah I think it will make Meghan pause to think if she will use the woman again. When you hire these designers to make custom bespoke pieces, you need to trust the designer. Having a teacher with a loose tongue, and one that doesn't seem to mind bad mouthing clients, isn't a great sign of someone you want to work with.

Of course it is damage control. She not only is accused of insulting a member of the royal family but more importantly, well respected people in her own industry. That is actually the bigger story in this. Emilia vs Givency.

She has went on record saying she was inspired by them prior to this. That said, I do think in a few days it will be a non story publicly but I will bet behind the scenes her team are working overtime to repair whatever damage has hit her reputation among the fashion elite.

Sadly at this point it doesn't even matter if it is true or not because it was picked up by the mainstream media and we know how that goes.

:previous: I agree, the unacceptable behaviour of some was scary, but for most of us it was just . . . what! I still find it hard to believe that a professional woman should behave in such an unprofessional way.

To be in a snit about something is one thing, but to publicly lambast both the dress and the bride herself was very bitchy. But the words she used about Meghan were personal, dismissive and snobbish exposing a not a very pleasant person for all to see. Her unbelievable public tantrum has the potential to adversely affect her business and reputation which, in her line of work is no small consideration.

Yes, this is what is so bothersome to me. It's one thing to say you prefer a different design or aesthetic but quite another to accuse the other designer of plagiarism...which is basically what she did. Then she threw in some nasty words about the Duchess as well. Completely uncalled for. And, not only all that - which would just have been bad on its own - but Meghan had JUST worn a Wickstead piece 4 weeks earlier! So incredibly rude, IMO. I hope that none of the royal women - Meghan, Kate, Sophie - who've been seen in her clothes never wear anything by her again.

And, she clearly did make the comments, otherwise should would have issued a denial instead of non-apology apology! https://www.instagram.com/p/BjSaliFFoMI/?taken-by=emiliawickstead She doesn't admit to what she did or even say it was wrong, she just says "I am extremely saddened by commentary that has appeared in the press and on-line..." She doesn't even make it clear whether it's her own commentary that she feels saddened by or other people's. Ugh, I hate those kinds of 'sorry if you were offended' kind of apologies, which aren't apologies at all!

What she should have done, IMO, was to say that she had a similar looking, and more affordable, gown in her own collection for those brides wishing to dress like the Duchess on their own wedding day. That would have drawn attention to her own design/dress without bashing Meghan or Clare Waight Keller.

Last edited:
Yes, many designers would have a similar dress style. Nothing to worry about :flowers:

What is worrisome is when a designer attacks a potential customer, on a global scale....that is an issue. Emilia should be a grown up woman and know that there will be many designers similar to her own.

Actually she made the comment Givenchy inspires her. Maybe she is the one who is copying :whistling:

Yeah I think it will make Meghan pause to think if she will use the woman again. When you hire these designers to make custom bespoke pieces, you need to trust the designer. Having a teacher with a loose tongue, and one that doesn't seem to mind bad mouthing clients, isn't a great sign of someone you want to work with.

I think this is the most important part of this story. Certainly, if I were one of her potential customers I would be remembering that she was willing to talk about the Duchess of Sussex in questionable terms, and would wonder what she might be willing to say about me. Discretion is everything at this level, and for whatever reason, Emilia Wickstead failed that test.

If she didn't say the things that were attributed to her, she should have issued an immediate and strongly worded denial, and she didn't, which makes me think that she did say exactly what the DF claimed she did.

No predictions from me over whether this will affect her working in the future with the DoCam, but if Catherine does wear Emilia Wickstead in the future, I will guarantee that there will be stories about how that proves that Catherine and Meghan don't get along, and that it was intended as a deliberate insult, etc.

Because that's how the Daily Fail rolls.

Sebastian Shakespeare makes no claim that’s a direct quote to him. “Says Wickstead” is the phrased he used.

He literally makes a living out of writing this sort of crap on a daily basis. He knows what he’s doing and how to word things.

She said on Instagram she doesn’t think the dress is a copy. Seems straightforward to me. She doesn’t need to grovel.

It’ll be interesting when this guy writes something negative about Meghan how fast it’ll be dismissed on here as the ‘Fail’

Now that I've read her statement. I have to wonder if House of Givenchy threatened legal action.

And obviously she didn't deny making those remarks, but there is more to the story than to just issue this statement days later when it's anything other to deny she actually made the statement. I doubt the royal household would say anything to her because that's just not how these people operate. However, Emilia isn't stupid and realizes the possible ramifications of such comments about a high profile member of the royal family.

House of Givenchy on the other hand is in a different position. I have no doubt they'd do everything in their power to not allow such slanderous comments go unchallenged. The head of LVMH, who owns Givenchy, personally commented on this dress after the wedding. They clearly treat this commission as a very serious matter and realize the implication and ramification of it.

Last edited:
Now that I've read her statement. I have to wonder if House of Givenchy threatened legal action.

And obviously she didn't deny making those remarks, but there is more to the story than to just issue this statement days later when it's anything other to deny she actually made the statement. I doubt the royal household would say anything to her because that's just not how these people operate. However, Emilia isn't stupid and realizes the possible ramifications of such comments about a high profile member of the royal family.

House of Givenchy on the other hand is in a different position. I have no doubt they'd do everything in their power to not allow such slanderous comments go unchallenged. The head of LVMH, who owns Givenchy, personally commented on this dress after the wedding. The clearly treat this commission as a very serious matter.

Yes, I was wondering about this, too. The timing is suggestive, isn't it?

And it is so striking to me that at no point has EW denied making the original remarks, which makes me think that there is a paper or digital trail somewhere that she knows about and that Sebastian Shakespeare could produce. EW's very carefully worded Instagram comment, and her lack of immediate denial is what makes me think that, for once, there might be some substance to the story.

Sebastian Shakespeare makes no claim that’s a direct quote to him. “Says Wickstead” is the phrased he used.

He literally makes a living out of writing this sort of crap on a daily basis. He knows what he’s doing and how to word things.

She said on Instagram she doesn’t think the dress is a copy. Seems straightforward to me. She doesn’t need to grovel.

It’ll be interesting when this guy writes something negative about Meghan how fast it’ll be dismissed on here as the ‘Fail’
She says she's upset by the comments that showed up, not that they are untrue. Not that she's never said such a thing. There is a difference. It's amazing what people will say once lawyers are involved. And believe me when I say Givenchy wouldn't be playing with this.

We have to remember that it's one thing when it's a silly rumor about who is dating whom or whatever, but this article called into someone's professionalism. Anything like this would be treated with extreme seriousness by a brand when its designer is the the namesake of the company. If she didn't say it, there would be unequivocal denial. She's either realizing the backlash, both legally and publicity wise, or being poorly advised by PR. Neither of which will serve her well.

Any person that's spent enough time around lawyers and public relations will tell you this is a oops, I backed myself into a corner statement.

Last edited:
I’m not a lawyer but even just for the sake of debate she said the dress is identical. A lot of people said it’s an EW dress. That doesn’t seem it’s actionable by Givenchy. Now if she said Givenchy stole the design, that’s another story. Saying something looks identical is a judgment call.

But I’m still in the camp that this is pure Sebastian Shakespeare mischief making. I have no reason to believe otherwise.

I think this is the most important part of this story. Certainly, if I were one of her potential customers I would be remembering that she was willing to talk about the Duchess of Sussex in questionable terms, and would wonder what she might be willing to say about me. Discretion is everything at this level, and for whatever reason, Emilia Wickstead failed that test.

If she didn't say the things that were attributed to her, she should have issued an immediate and strongly worded denial, and she didn't, which makes me think that she did say exactly what the DF claimed she did.

No predictions from me over whether this will affect her working in the future with the DoCam, but if Catherine does wear Emilia Wickstead in the future, I will guarantee that there will be stories about how that proves that Catherine and Meghan don't get along, and that it was intended as a deliberate insult, etc.

Because that's how the Daily Fail rolls.

Totally agree. I doubt Kate will want to wear Emilia in the future. It’s the kind of thing that will just court controversy.

Yet, to simply deny she said those things is too much for her. She should be calling out Shakespeare as a liar.

I think it was a shame she had to give any response. She was hounded and threatened on social media all because of a Sebastian Shakespeare story.

EW has dressed the great and the good in Britain for years. She has a major Patron in the Duchess of Cambridge. She wouldn’t risked that by making stupid comments.

Again the thing that makes my head spin is all of a sudden Sebastian Shakespeare is being treated like he’s Walter Winchell. He’s a ‘diarist’. Which in DM speak means he writes crapola

Well, to be fair and honest, she was hounded because of comments she herself made, that someone else reported on. No one forced her to make those nasty comments. And, seeing as how she never denied that she made them in her non-apology apology, I think we can all safely assume that she did, in fact, make them.

I would hope that Kate will not wear Wickstead in the future. That would show some nice solidarity with Meghan.

I’m not a lawyer but even just for the sake of debate she said the dress is identical. A lot of people said it’s an EW dress. That doesn’t seem it’s actionable by Givenchy. Now if she said Givenchy stole the design, that’s another story. Saying something looks identical is a judgment call.

But I’m still in the camp that this is pure Sebastian Shakespeare mischief making. I have no reason to believe otherwise.

Actually, no one said it's a EW dress other than EW. And believe me, I watched multiple US and UK's coverage either live or online afterwards. Saying the dress is identical is a statement of fact and not matter of opinion, and thus can be evaluated in determining defamation. And unless Clare Waight Keller is known as a design stealer in the industry, it is defaming her. I might not be a lawyer, but I've taken enough business law classes to have that drilled into me. Defamation has become quite a big deal in corporate world in the age of social media.

Last edited:
Totally agree. I doubt Kate will want to wear Emilia in the future. It’s the kind of thing that will just court controversy.

There’s nothing controversial about Kate wearing EW in the future. Even if she said what she said, it was about Meghan not Kate.

The tabloids are going to write Kate versus Meghan stories for the next 50 years anyways. Wearing a certain designer isn’t going to make any more of an impact.

What she should have done, IMO, was to say that she had a similar looking, and more affordable, gown in her own collection for those brides wishing to dress like the Duchess on their own wedding day. That would have drawn attention to her own design/dress without bashing Meghan or Clare Waight Keller.

We don't know she even said it. Her biggest fault was allowing this bad PR to stew a few days and become a bigger story.

I don't think Givenchy brought legal matters into it but I could be wrong. She allegedly made a crass comment but she didn't accuse them of anything. I have zero doubt her people have been fielding calls and once they realized how big of a story it was becoming is when they issued this statement. I do think they felt it would blow over.

At the end of the day it is about protecting your brand's reputation.

Last edited:
Actually, no one said it's a EW dress other than EW. And believe me, I watched multiple US and UK's coverage either live or online afterwards. Saying the dress is identical is a statement of fact and not matter of opinion, and thus can be evaluated in determining defamation. And unless Clare Waight Keller is known as a design stealer in the industry, it is defaming her. I might not be a lawyer, but I've taken enough business law classes to have that drilled into me. Defamation has become quite a big deal in corporate world in the age of social media.

I don’t believe EW even said it looks like EW. I was playing devils advocate. Like I said I’m not a lawyer so I’ll have to take your word it’s defamation.

The DM has a story about how Meghan’s dress looks like a dozen previous royal gowns. If Givenchy is so sensitive it should maybe sue the DM.

But anyway we’re getting ahead of ourselves by speculating lawyers are involved.

There’s nothing controversial about Kate wearing EW in the future. Even if she said what she said, it was about Meghan not Kate.

The tabloids are going to write Kate versus Meghan stories for the next 50 years anyways. Wearing a certain designer isn’t going to make any more of an impact.

The press would make something of it if Kate continues to wear this designer. Doesn’t seem worth the risk to Kate’s reputation for a designer whose designs are middle of the road at best.

There is no way lawyers aren't involved in this. Working for a Fortune 200 company, I can tell you that lawyers are involved in many aspect of a company, even vet press releases. Something like this might not have involved a whole legal team at this point, but a legal letter would be sent. They aren't going to engage in a war of words publicly, but they will protect their brand especially given the industry they are in.

I don’t believe EW even said it looks like EW. I was playing devils advocate. Like I said I’m not a lawyer so I’ll have to take your word it’s defamation.

The DM has a story about how Meghan’s dress looks like a dozen previous royal gowns. If Givenchy is so sensitive it should maybe sue the DM.

But anyway we’re getting ahead of ourselves by speculating lawyers are involved.

Actually she said "the dress is identical to one of ours" and it's in direct quotes. I'm not sure how EW didn't say it looks like EW with that quote. I do also want to point out that Sabatian Shakespeare isn't quoting a source here. He's directly quoting EW. And even then, I'd be ok with someone saying to me that he's making it up and slandering EW, but when EW herself comes out with a statement like that? Yea, that changes things.

Meghan's £200k gown was identical to one of mine, says designer | Daily Mail Online

Last edited by a moderator:
He’s quoting EW but I don’t see where it says she said those words to him. I’ve read other articles by this guy and he uses words like so and so tells me. Here he doesn’t say that.

I need more sources than Sebastian Shakespeare

And again saying a dress is identical isn’t saying Givenchy stole the design. People say things like that all the time.

He’s quoting EW but I don’t see where it says she said those words to him. I’ve read other articles by this guy and he uses words like so and so tells me. Here he doesn’t say that.

I need more sources than Sebastian Shakespeare

And again saying a dress is identical isn’t saying Givenchy stole the design. People say things like that all the time.

Uh, not when you are a designer and your value is your ability to create pieces like this. Saying it's identical to my dress is saying she took my designs. What else does identical mean? And unless EW gave permission, it is stealing. That statement will stand on its own. I've seen legal disputes that involve far less than this when it comes to branding. People don't say that type of things all the time, not when they are a designer and considered a credible member of that industry. Give me an example of another designer saying this please.

I'll give you a source, EW never saying she hasn't said it when she explicitly released a statement about this matter. And given that Sebastian Shakespeare isn't hiding behind some anonymous source, her lawyers would be sending him letters if she's never said it and demand retraction.

I think the statement on instagram was to get the trolls and death threats off her back. That it has anything to do with Givenchy never entered my mind until you mention it and I still don’t believe she said what he’s saying she said.

I suppose like everything else we’ll have to wait and see what happens. But I think anyone, including Kate isn’t going to stop wearing EW even if the story is true.

Last edited:
Haven't been able to react previously, so just wanted to say that I liked the dress and thought it was very much 'Meghan', which is what I like to see in a dress: it should be reflective of the bride.

I would have liked a better hair styling without all those loose ends. That could have waited for the non-veil part of the day.

Its beyond sad that comments we don't know the source of are being used to attack and threaten this woman. She could have said them on the phone in a private conversation and someone was spying on her, but nope let's still use the words to potentially ruin this woman's career. Its really quite sad that tabloid culture dictates the lives of so many.

This is such a non-issue from a TABLOID! Look how certain people are putting words into her mouth, she says the dress is almost identical to one of her designs and someone on this very board accusers her of accusing Claire of plagiarism; overreaction much. Her dress was identical to every wedding designers dress! That's why it's unoriginal, everyone already made it.
And people are using words like "she attacked Meghan"... Im sorry but didnt all she say was her hair looked bad?

Last edited:
This EW dress controversy is so odd though. I just find it hard to believe that she would say something like this anywhere public, private venting maybe. And I really doubt she said it directly to Sebastian Shakespeare.

No where does he say she said it to him nor does he cite a source of any kind. It raises some red flags.

Its beyond sad that comments we don't know the source of are being used to attack and threaten this woman. She could have said them on the phone in a private conversation and someone was spying on her, but nope let's still use the words to potentially ruin this woman's career. Its really quite sad that tabloid culture dictates the lives of so many.

This is such a non-issue from a TABLOID! Look how certain people are putting words into her mouth, she says the dress is almost identical to one of her designs and someone on this very board accusers her of accusing Claire of plagiarism; overreaction much. Her dress was identical to every wedding designers dress! That's why it's unoriginal, everyone already made it.
And people are using words like "she attacked Meghan"... Im sorry but didnt all she say was her hair looked bad?
This isn’t some quote that came from an anonymous “source”. This is a quote attributable directly to her. Saying it’s identical to her dress. Not almost. Not similar. Identical. In quotes. She doesn’t go on to deny she said such things. I’m not sure how else there is to take her dress is identical to ours. I’ve seen cases with less than that. Not sure if she thought it was off the record, but didn’t say it was off the record or some other mess happened.

And if this was just left it as is. Maybe, and that’s a very maybe, she didn’t say it. But given what she issued. She said it. At best, her behavior was childish and unprofessional. At worst it was slanderous towards another designer who was simply minding her own business.

I just want to point out that people have believed worse about Meghan with far less. It’s not as if we are working off of anonymous sources here. It’s a direct quote attributed to her, which does a lot of damage to her professionalism, but she refuses to say she never said it? Not the behavior of someone who’s never said it.

This isn’t some quote that came from an anonymous “source”. This is a quote attributable directly to her. Saying it’s identical to her dress. Not almost. Not similar. Identical. In quotes. She doesn’t go on to deny she said such things. I’m not sure how else there is to take her dress is identical to ours. I’ve seen cases with less than that. Not sure if she thought it was off the record, but didn’t say it was off the record or some other mess happened.

And if this was just left it as is. Maybe, and that’s a very maybe, she didn’t say it. But given what she issued. She said it. At best, her behavior was childish and unprofessional. At worst it was slanderous towards another designer who was simply minding her own business.

I just want to point out that people have believed worse about Meghan with far less. It’s not as if we are working off of anonymous sources here. It’s a direct quote attributed to her, which does a lot of damage to her professionalism, but she refuses to say she never said it? Not the behavior of someone who’s never said it.

Except no where does anyone say where and when she said it, just some vague she claims. So yeah, the source is unknown and anonymous.

Back
Top Bottom