Meghan Markle's Wedding Dress

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What’s more, she publicly dissed Meghan’s appearance on her WEDDING DAY. Who does that? No excuse.

thank you for those you agreed with my comment - I just thought her dress was just like a few others royal bride - it looks liked the designer just copied there's - I was thinking she would have a more of a WOW factor like Princess Madeline did at her wedding

Her dress was like pretty much every bride in a magazine.. utterly generic....

I think I missed the interview or press release where Meghan or Claire claimed that this gown was a unique, once in a lifetime creation, the likes of which we had never seen before nor would ever see again. If others were projecting or hoping for that, that’s on them. Meghan stated that her wedding dress preferences were minimalist designs with structural elements that had a hint of whimsy or romance. That describes what she wore perfectly. She got the dress she wanted, regardless of how plain or generic some may feel it was. She got the dress SHE wanted.

thank you for those you agreed with my comment - I just thought her dress was just like a few others royal bride - it looks liked the designer just copied there's - I was thinking she would have a more of a WOW factor like Princess Madeline did at her wedding

Perhaps she felt -quite rightly IMO- that a religious wedding ceremony in an historical setting, attended by the British Royal Family that she was marrying into was not an appropriate occasion for "a WOW factor" to be in evidence from a bride. She, properly, left it until the evening bash to display "a WOW factor".

Was it more necessary for it to have been anything different, OR for her to have enjoyed wearing the dress of her dreams?

That veil was anything but typical or run of the mill seen in bridal magazines etc ....and that was the focal point. The dress was minimal...the tiara and veil, especially the veil were the stars.

LaRae

That veil was anything but typical or run of the mill seen in bridal magazines etc ....and that was the focal point. The dress was minimal...the tiara and veil, especially the veil were the stars.

LaRae

Exactly. One didn't eclipse the other. An exercise in exquisite GOOD TASTE.

HOnestly don't care. I did't like it...

Thank God she was able to display her own preferences. It would be amusing to see a design of the amalgam of the ideas put forward here as being suitable for a bride marrying into the BRF..

For the love of backstreet this is he thread to discuss what WE thought of the dress. If you only care about if its the dress she wanted them why even create this thread to discuss it? Stop trying to silence people by saying its what she wanted. We could say the same thing about Princess Mabel and her hideous bow creation.
Whether Meghan liked it or not doesn't change how certain other people feel about it. Kate wore her hair how she wanted it but it still doesn't stop people from complaining that she wore it down.

Same thing I said, on top of that it looked like a dress Kate wore to an event with William but hers had a split. Don't know why some get so defensive that not everyone adored the dress and found it generic.

Last edited:
For the love of backstreet this is he thread to discuss what WE thought of the dress. If you only care about if its the dress she wanted them why even create this thread to discuss it? Stop trying to silence people by saying its what she wanted. We could say the same thing about Princess Mabel and her hideous bow creation.
Whether Meghan liked it or not doesn't change how certain other people feel about it. Kate wore her hair how she wanted it but it still doesn't stop people from complaining that she wore it down.

Same thing I said, on top of that it looked like a dress Kate wore to an event with William but hers had a split. Don't know why some get so defensive that not everyone adored the dress and found it generic.

Actually, it's more about trying to be objective and balanced than being defensive. If they'd have married in a register office the sky would have been the limit regarding how much bling was on the dress, how closely it fitted, how big was the skirt, how long was the train, but they married in a religious ceremony within the walls of a castle which has hundreds of years of history behind it, and as such, whether or not you -or I- LIKE the dress, it was proper and fitting for the occasion. There have been some harshly judgemental remarks made, and not a little mus slung. Many things have been alleged to have been said, the only proof of which comes from a publication renown for gossip. Quoting such is only perpetuating that gossip.

Well according to some it doesn't matter if you liked hers better than Kate's because they wore what the bride wanted to wear. :sarcasm::joke:

I for one am not saying her dress wasn't appropriate, what I am saying is I didn't like it, it didn't fit and she had the worst wedding day hair since Sarah Ferguson. Those of us who think she could have done better have added some ideas on what she could have done different, I haven't seen anyone in this thread badmouth Meghan personally. The same conversation going on in here is going on in other threads about every other royal bride.

@Denville and Cabbage, what did you think of Mette-Marit's wedding dress? I think that is a "plain" dress done right.

Last edited:
she had the worst wedding day hair since Sarah Ferguson.
Sorry have to totally disagree. Meghan’s hair fit her style. I just don’t get the hate for the dress. It was amazing and she shined in it. Is it my favorite royal gown?No, But it was in line with Meghan’s style.

Here's something my mother taught me as a child, and somehow it has become lost over the years. And I must admit it, I don't practice it myself as much as I should.

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

We are all going to have our opinions and the right to express them. And that's what Emilia did. The problem is that Emilia is a designer, who designs clothes that she wants people to buy and wear. Now if I am a potential haute couture client, I am going to wonder if...is she going to be this discreet about me?

And I am sorry, if the comments are true. And you have to wonder if they are based on the non apology and the fact that Emilia could sue the Daily Mail for potential libel if its not. Emilia basically inferred that the design was a copy that she did previously (so is she accusing Claire of stealing?) not taking into account that Givenchy has also created dresses similar to the one Meaghan wore. So who is stealing from who? And honestly, there were subtle differences between the two gowns, so I can't even see who she could claim that. Heck...it even resembled Princess's Anne's wedding dress (minus the sleeves).

And she has worked with brides in the past, whose to stay that it was supposed to fit that way? What if Meghan lost weight and although they had seamstresses on hand, there simply wasn't enough time.

And we can make excuses for all night about why she made the comments but in regards to Meghan's hair....there was no need to say anything even if if you think its true. Stick to the commenting on the dress.

Just because the thought is in your head doesn't mean you need to verbalize.

I also thought the dress was beautiful...simple...timeless.

Exactly Zonk...if I were a potential client I have got to consider if it's worth the risk to use someone who was so indiscreet/unprofessional.

LaRae

Well Vivienne Westwood hasn’t suffered clients, so I don’t think potential clients will give Emilia’s comments about Meghan much thought.

Here's something my mother taught me as a child, and somehow it has become lost over the years. And I must admit it, I don't practice it myself as much as I should.

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

We are all going to have our opinions and the right to express them. And that's what Emilia did. The problem is that Emilia is a designer, who designs clothes that she wants people to buy and wear. Now if I am a potential haute couture client, I am going to wonder if...is she going to be this discreet about me?

And I am sorry, if the comments are true. And you have to wonder if they are based on the non apology and the fact that Emilia could sue the Daily Mail for potential libel if its not. Emilia basically inferred that the design was a copy that she did previously (so is she accusing Claire of stealing?) not taking into account that Givenchy has also created dresses similar to the one Meaghan wore. So who is stealing from who? And honestly, there were subtle differences between the two gowns, so I can't even see who she could claim that. Heck...it even resembled Princess's Anne's wedding dress (minus the sleeves).

And she has worked with brides in the past, whose to stay that it was supposed to fit that way? What if Meghan lost weight and although they had seamstresses on hand, there simply wasn't enough time.

And we can make excuses for all night about why she made the comments but in regards to Meghan's hair....there was no need to say anything even if if you think its true. Stick to the commenting on the dress.

Just because the thought is in your head doesn't mean you need to verbalize.

I also thought the dress was beautiful...simple...timeless.

Ha! I couldn't agree more. In a similar way there are only 7 notes in a musical scale. It's not possible for composers to avoid putting together the same series of notes as other composers but suing is very rare.

Well Vivienne Westwood hasn’t suffered clients, so I don’t think potential clients will give Emilia’s comments about Meghan much thought.

Exactly. Anyone wearing EW last week is still wearing EW today.

Vivenne Westwood is such a brand and icon, she can say what she wants. Same with Lagerfield.

Emilia? Not so much IMO.

Now, I do think the media hubbub about this is seriously way OTT. :ohmy:

Last edited:
Well according to some it doesn't matter if you liked hers better than Kate's because they wore what the bride wanted to wear. :sarcasm::joke:

I for one am not saying her dress wasn't appropriate, what I am saying is I didn't like it, it didn't fit and she had the worst wedding day hair since Sarah Ferguson. Those of us who think she could have done better have added some ideas on what she could have done different, I haven't seen anyone in this thread badmouth Meghan personally. The same conversation going on in here is going on in other threads about every other royal bride.

@Denville and Cabbage, what did you think of Mette-Marit's wedding dress? I think that is a "plain" dress done right.

According to Claire Waight Keller, Meghan had 8 dress fittings.

https://people.com/royals/meghan-ma...s-fittings-designer-reveals-in-new-interview/

You may not have liked how the dress fit but that doesn't mean it didn't fit. If it didn't fit in Meghan and the designer's view, then I'd think it would have been altered, even up until the day of, if need be.

As for her hair, a few strands came loose at one point but I'd hardly say she had the worst hair day since so and so. And I wasn't crazy abour the center part myself, I'd have actually prefered to see something else. But she looked beautiful nonetheless, imo.

Vivenne Westwood is such a brand and icon, she can say what she wants. Say with Lagerfield.

Emilia? Not so much IMO.

Now, I do think the media hubbub about this is seriously way OTT. :ohmy:

Well she did basically suggest that Givenchy stole her design and that's serious business. I think her reputation takes a hit for that alone. And given the amount of attention this wedding received, I expected more media to pick up on this story. It's been surprisingly muted, I think.

Was Meghan's veil a cathedral veil or a chapel veil?

Was Meghan's veil a cathedral veil or a chapel veil?

Monarch cathedral veil. Chapel is much shorter. It's actually longer than typical cathedral as well. Usually cathedral veils are between 9ft to 10ft. Meghan's was 16ft.

Last edited:
According to Claire Waight Keller, Meghan had 8 dress fittings.

https://people.com/royals/meghan-ma...s-fittings-designer-reveals-in-new-interview/

You may not have liked how the dress fit but that doesn't mean it didn't fit. If it didn't fit in Meghan and the designer's view, then I'd think it would have been altered, even up until the day of, if need be.

As for her hair, a few strands came loose at one point but I'd hardly say she had the worst hair day since so and so. And I wasn't crazy abour the center part myself, I'd have actually prefered to see something else. But she looked beautiful nonetheless, imo.

This was my point exactly, although I may not have articulated it well. We can debate to the cows come home whether or not we liked the finished product but those who have been stating that the dress didn't fit as if their opinions are factual are wrong. Meghan's dress was designed as she intended it to be, so we can deduce that it did fit. Incredible that some seem to be so angry to have their views challenged.

It has been explained here too that when a dress is designed like that it cannot be closely fitted to the upper body or you cannot lift your arms.

LaRae

Well, Shakespeare has doubled down on the quotes from Wickstead in his latest column and has stated that she told him directly at a party.

Since his claim, if untrue, is likely actionable under British libel laws (and in court, the default assumption would be that she *didn't* say it, so he'd have to prove that she did say it to successfully defend a libel suit), I honestly think - Shakespeare's reputation notwithstanding - it's very unlikely he's making it up.

Well, I guess whoever said EW might have had a few too many and spoke too much got it right. :lol:

That was my theory....they were at an event and she had one too many.

LaRae

Back
Top Bottom