Meghan Markle's Wedding Dress

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I for one loved her dress, make-up and her hair. For me those few loose locks softened the entire look. Considering her clothing before the wedding I’m not sure what people thought she would wear on het wedding day. Her “ordinary clothes” are fairly minimal so it would be highly unlikely she would go full princess mode now...

Well, Shakespeare has doubled down on the quotes from Wickstead in his latest column and has stated that she told him directly at a party.

Since his claim, if untrue, is likely actionable under British libel laws (and in court, the default assumption would be that she *didn't* say it, so he'd have to prove that she did say it to successfully defend a libel suit), I honestly think - Shakespeare's reputation notwithstanding - it's very unlikely he's making it up.

I assumed it was something like this when EW didn't immediately refute what he had said in the column. And to say something like that to a flack for the DF means she had a serious lapse in judgment; indiscreet doesn't even begin to cover it.

Well, Shakespeare has doubled down on the quotes from Wickstead in his latest column and has stated that she told him directly at a party.

Since his claim, if untrue, is likely actionable under British libel laws (and in court, the default assumption would be that she *didn't* say it, so he'd have to prove that she did say it to successfully defend a libel suit), I honestly think - Shakespeare's reputation notwithstanding - it's very unlikely he's making it up.

Where did you read this?

If that’s true she mentioned it at a party, that’s different from calling him up and complaining on the record imo.

Lots of people say things at parties and EW is allowed an opinion on Meghan’s dress.

But in the big picture it’s not going to make any difference to people who wear EW and like her designs. I expect The Duchess of Cambridge to turn up in EW in the not so distant future.

Last edited:
If i may add. The bride must feel great on her wedding day and the Duchess of Sussex clearly felt like a million bucks. I love that even the dress did not over shadow the bride's beauty. To each there own i guess.

If that’s true she mentioned it at a party, that’s different from calling him up and complaining on the record imo.

Lots of people say things at parties and EW is allowed an opinion on Meghan’s dress.

But in the big picture it’s not going to make any difference to people who wear EW and like her designs. I expect The Duchess of Cambridge to continue to turn up in EW in the not so distant future.

Again, no one said she isn't allowed her opinion or that she called SS up. However, it's not like she doesn't know who he is. And if you don't say it's off the record, whatever you say to them is on the record. Hence, she should know better as a professional. And if you choose to behave in an unprofessional way, there are obvious consequences, like having to issue public retraction. And obviously, if she didn't feel the negative impact on her business, no way would she have gone back on what she said publicly.

But in the big picture it’s not going to make any difference to people who wear EW and like her designs. I expect The Duchess of Cambridge to turn up in EW in the not so distant future.

Lots of people say things at parties that get them into trouble. Emilia should know not to expect that anything said to a gossip columnist would ever stay between the two of them. She got caught, so now there is fallout.

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/fas...emilia-wickstead-royal-wedding-dress-copying/

Aside from the sleeves and bateau neckline of the Emilia Wickstead design resembling the Givenchy (Claire Waight Keller) design, the dresses are quite different (and likely the fabrics are too). The criticisms surrounding the fit of Meghan's dress are unfortunate. If anything, it looked like the left shoulder of Meghan's dress was a bit loose and that the midsection of the dress was rumpled immediately after the ceremony, as she descended the steps. But that likely has more to do with Meghan losing weight in the lead-up to her wedding, as happens to many brides. Obviously there were a number of re-fittings done to address her weight fluctation. In any case, in the lead-up to Meghan's wedding, there were many designers reflecting on and being inspired by Meghan's style aesthetic, and apparently imagining what Meghan might wear as seen in the overflow of wedding dress designs and royal wedding anticipation. So, if anything, Meghan's casual, yet sophisticated and frou-frou free aesthetic is what has been inspiring the wedding fashion industry. Alls well that ends well. Wickstead's apology should be the end of the drama.

Meghan's wedding dress perfectly suited her overall aesthetic (clean simple lines with no embellishment, other than the gorgeous embroidery on her veil). It was certainly not far off what many here initially thought Meghan might choose. The whole Ralph & Russo drama in the lead-up to the wedding was likely purposely initiated to throw royal wedding watchers off the scent. ;) Perhaps Meghan's hair wasn't intended to come apart as much as it appeared to. But once again, slightly undone hair is Meghan's personal style aesthetic. However, on her first public appearance as the Duchess of Sussex, Meghan's swept back sideknot was immaculately wisp-free, and she was wearing stockings too. :D

What I truly love is the stylish navy dress by Roland Mouret that Meghan wore to Cliveden House the day before her wedding. And the second party wedding dress (a halter design by Stella McCartney) is simply divine (reminiscent of the flowing yet close-fit design of Carolyn Bessette's wedding dress which we know Meghan is said to admire). Meghan looked amazing, especially accessorizing her second dress with Diana PoW's gorgeous aquamarine ring on her finger (a gift from Harry)!

Harry and Meghan definitely looked like a vision out of a Bond movie when they exited Windsor Castle and jumped into the blue sports car for the ride to Frogmore House's evening reception. :D :twohearts:

Mad About Meghan: Harry and Meghan's Stunning Official Wedding Portraits Released!
scroll down for the picture showing H&M heading to their evening wedding reception

Also, the wedding portraits turned out so lovely and Meghan's dress looks fine in those photos. Harry and Meghan are happy. That's what matters.

Last edited:
I don’t know about ‘fallout’. If her clientele is that invested in Meghan Markle that they abandon her in droves, well that’s to be seen.

Her biggest customer is The Duchess of Cambridge and I’m willing to wager my life Kate isn’t going to stop wearing EW.

I don’t know about ‘fallout’. If her clientele is that invested in Meghan Markle that they abandon her in droves, well that’s to be seen.

Her biggest customer is The Duchess of Cambridge and I’m willing to wager my life Kate isn’t going to stop wearing EW.

The fallout is her being called out in the media for her remarks. This will undoubtedly do some damage to her reputation, and it's likely she'll lose at least one client--Meghan herself.

The fallout is her being called out in the media for her remarks. This will undoubtedly do some damage to her reputation, and it's likely she'll lose at least one client--Meghan herself.

The fact that Meghan wore her clothes in the past and that EW still made such indiscreet remarks is what is striking to me. If Meghan had never worn any Wickstead, I think the remarks could be put down to "Eh, everyone has an opinion, probably not smart to say, but oh well." But Meghan was a client, and that is what I would be paying attention to if I were a client of hers. That's what makes it sound so personal, and, yes, catty.

The quality -and alleged veracity- of the article to which you refer might explain why what is printed in that publication is taken with a very large pinch of salt.

Except, this time he had direct quote and EW didn't deny saying it at all. If it was an anonymous source, sure I agree. But it's not. He might be sleezy, but he covers his behind.

I'm not surprised she actually said it. That was all but confirmed when she didn't deny it in her statement. This is just about fixing her reputation which she clearly has taken a bit of a hit with bad PR. She wasn't stupid enough to claim it wasn't true knowing it was.

All that said, this will eventually blow over. People will still buy her designs but her issue will be within her own industry. She insulted Clare and Givenchy and their reach is longer than hers. So I am sure these upcoming months won't be fun for her brand in that regard. That world is small and petty.

Well Givenchy’s reach maybe longer than EW but it’s difficult to get a higher profile royal and customer than The Duchess of Cambridge. Plus EW is a British brand and Givenchy is most certainly as French as you get.

When push comes to shove, the British press will most definitely side with EW, especially given a large segment of the British press agrees with her.

Well Givenchy’s reach maybe longer than EW but it’s difficult to get a higher profile royal and customer than The Duchess of Cambridge. Plus EW is a British brand and Givenchy is most certainly as French as you get.

When push comes to shove, the British press will most definitely side with EW, especially given a large segment of the British press agrees with her.

British press is not going side with someone that falsely accuses another British designer, who is flying the British flag high on a world stage, of stealing her design. And that's exactly what happened here saying the dress is identical to hers. That is exactly why this is the one specific comment she specifically retracted in her statement. And Clare Waight Keller might not have a label with her name, but she's VERY well regarded in the industry. Much more so than EW.

And having a high profile royal is not going to keep a brand afloat. Just ask Issa.

Last edited:
The quality -and alleged veracity- of the article to which you refer might explain why what is printed in that publication is taken with a very large pinch of salt.

I doubt that "well, everyone knows that articles in the Daily Mail are made up" is a valid defense against either an IPSO complaint from or a libel suit filed by Emilia Wickstead.

If people abandon EW in droves or The Duchess of Cambridge stops wearing her designs, I’ll be the first to admit I’m wrong.

The Issa story and brand is different to what’s being discussed her. Big differences.

Let’s wait and see. Meghan can be the champion of French design houses. Other royals can champion the British.

I don't know who they would side with and I wouldn't even attempt to claim otherwise. I spent a few years in the fashion industry and I know how petty they can be. EW knows it too which is why she released that statement because her people won't risk that kind of backlash especially with Givenchy being so highlighted right now.

I have said more than once I do think this will blow over with time but I think some are being a little naive in how this is likely affecting EW right now.

If people abandon EW in droves or The Duchess of Cambridge stops wearing her designs, I’ll be the first to admit I’m wrong.

The Issa story and brand is different to what’s being discussed her. Big differences.

Let’s wait and see. Meghan can be the champion of French design houses. Other royals can champion the British.

My point was there is much more to keeping a brand successful than having Kate wear your designs. In relation to the discussion regarding Givenchy's reach. And The Duchess of Sussex has worn plenty of UK brands, some of which have not seen much, if any, royal support in the past. I imagine she'll continue to do so, and I'm sure the brands will appreciate it.

Last edited:
British press is not going side with someone that falsely accuses another British designer, who is flying the British flag high on a world stage, of stealing her design. And that's exactly what happened here saying the dress is identical to hers. That is exactly why this is the one specific comment she specifically retracted in her statement. And Clare Waight Keller might not have a label with her name, but she's VERY well regarded in the industry. Much more so than EW.

And having a high profile royal is not going to keep a brand afloat. Just ask Issa.

Definitely agree. EW is still a small brand that banks on unofficial celebrity/royal endorsements at this point while Givenchy is Givenchy. Clare Waight Keller--of Gucci and Chloe and Givenchy--has much more stellar achievements.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Duchess of Cambridge may not stop wearing EW but she would be smart not to wear any of EW's designs for awhile. Otherwise, you can bet there will be headlines stoking the Kate vs. Meghan flames. I'm not sure why Kate would invite those headlines. It's not as if EW's designs are so hard to resist or there aren't plenty of other British designers to choose from.

If anybody wants to buy me an EW design I'd gladly accept it, girl is talented and that's all I care about. I'm not one to jump on the bandwagon of looking for "gotcha moments" to ruin another persons career and livelihood.
And while your at it I'll take some Victoria Beckham shoes as well. [emoji75]

The Duchess of Cambridge may not stop wearing EW but she would be smart not to wear any of EW's designs for awhile. Otherwise, you can bet there will be headlines stoking the Kate vs. Meghan flames. I'm not sure why Kate would invite those headlines. It's not as if EW's designs are so hard to resist or there aren't plenty of other British designers to choose from.

There weren't those headlines when other royals wore Westwood, so I doubt there would be those headlines with Kate. And even if Kate stopped wearing EW, the media would find some other reason to pit the two against each other. This is unfortunately going to be their reality. The media is going to forever compare the two, and the best thing for them to do is just live their lives and not let the gossip magazines dictate what they do.

If Kate like EW she should wear it. I'm sure Meghan wouldn't hold it against her. I mean, I doubt Kate held it against other members for wearing Westwood.

Last edited:
There weren't those headlines when other royals wore Westwood, so I doubt there would be those headlines with Kate.

However, Kate and Megs are contemporaries, and Westwood and Emilia are at different price points as well.

I find it extremely weird that a designer would make such remarks about a client, but oh well.

I would LOVE if all the BRF ladies stopped wearing EW simply because IMO she is a crappy and unimaginative designer. All of Kate's pieces from her are ill-fitting which is why I LOL at EW critiquing the fit of another designer.

Back
Top Bottom