Meghan Markle's Wedding Dress

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
People Magazine stated: 'The Inspiration for Meghan's look was Audrey Hepburn's wedding dress for her intended nuptials to James Hanson.'

People magazine compared them, but didn't say it was inspired by Audrey. The article was about three famous brides who had worn Givenchy: Audrey, Meghan and Kim K. They actually compared Meghan's dress to Audrey's dress which didn't even had a boat neckline.

It was others like Harper's who suggested that there was some comparison.

And it was the dress she wore in a movie that it was being compared to.

Was Audrey Hepburn's Givenchy wedding dress the inspiration behind Meghan Markle's gúna?

Really the only comparison is the same style neckline.

But Meghan does have a similar aesthetic in her over all style every day.

:previous: It has a bateau neckline. And there ends the similarity. Every wedding dress can and will be compared but just the neckline? Really?
Well that and I guess its white.... ish [emoji6]

People magazine compared them, but didn't say it was inspired by Audrey. The article was about three famous brides who had worn Givenchy: Audrey, Meghan and Kim K. They actually compared Meghan's dress to Audrey's dress which didn't even had a boat neckline.

At least now I understand why it was Givenchy.

Hey the discussion on this dress didn't last long a little over a month? There has to be something else we can say about it?

I will say that the more I look at it, the more I can appreciated the double bonded cady. It does add a dimension to the dress itself. I was looking at other bandeau or off the shoulder necklines that the media has found as “similar” to this, none of them holds up as well. They look like they just cling to the body, unless it’s a modified neckline that comes up higher, whereas this did have an additional feel of it being more lifted. Works well with the ethereal feel to the veil.

Last edited:
He used to be a good friend of the Royals. And he’s such a sharp dresser...

Hey the discussion on this dress didn't last long a little over a month? There has to be something else we can say about it?

What is to say? It looked like every oter modern wedding dress in the various magazines. It was utterly unoriginal..

Whether it was "utterly unoriginal" or not, how long can a discussion go on about one dress?? :ermm: :lol:

My opinion hasn't changed, I loved it and thought it fit just fine. The veil was intended to be the statement piece and it was.

:previous: I agree. The final verdict on the success any bride, Royal or not, was whether or not she looked beautiful not how "original" she was imo.

And Meghan nailed it. The quibbles I had were minor...she was so beautiful I gasped when she got out of that limousine.

She looked like a vision.?

And Meghan nailed it. The quibbles I had were minor...she was so beautiful I gasped when she got out of that limousine.

She looked like a vision.?

And then as she walked up those stairs. WOW! It was magnificent.

One of my favorite photos from that day is of her walking up the stairs and you can see the outline of her dress under the translucent veil. I'm so glad they went with a lighter veil. I don't like veils that are too heavily woven.

I wanted to foster some further discussion because I believe when it came to Kate and other royal brides from past years (Charlene?) the discussion lasted longer than a month.
The thread on Victoria's wedding had over 90 pages of discussion.
I agree Meghan's dress was unoriginal and boring so maybe that's why the discussion didn't last.
If I knew how to post pictures I would love to play a game of what she should have worn.

Last edited:
I don't know if it's "unoriginal like any other wedding dress in a magazine". Wedding dress have been going overboard with either embellishment or lace or both for a long time. I get it's one of the most expensive dress women will wear in their life, if not the most, but less is more has certainly become a rare idea.

I hope at some point in the future that the wedding dress goes on display and we get a real clear view of the veil with all 53 Commonwealth flowers.

Last edited:
:previous:Yes and what a smart NEW thing to say! Have no fear, the dress will be seen :flowers: again.

You also have to remember how many posts got deleted from this thread after poster infighting too lol.

I loved the dress. The sum of the parts together, while simple, made a huge impression on me. It could have been more fitted, but honestly the quibbles about that are much ado about nothing.

Anything more elaborate and people would have had a fit about a “second wedding dress” and all that rot.

I don't know if it's "unoriginal like any other wedding dress in a magazine". Wedding dress have been going overboard with either embellishment or lace or both for a long time. I get it's one of the most expensive dress women will wear in their life, if not the most, but less is more has certainly become a rare idea.
I think there is a difference between less is more and downright boring. Mette-Marit had less is more, as did Sarah Armstrong Jones and even Princess Margaret; Meghan took it too far and went full plain and boring. Another bride who did that was Queen Silvia whose wedding dress did nothing for the beauty of the bride.

The only truly stunning thing Meghan had was the veil and tiara.

I think there is a difference between less is more and downright boring. Mette-Marit had less is more, as did Sarah Armstrong Jones and even Princess Margaret; Meghan took it too far and went full plain and boring. Another bride who did that was Queen Silvia whose wedding dress did nothing for the beauty of the bride.

The only truly stunning thing Meghan had was the veil and tiara.

See that's where we think differently, I found Matte-Marit's dress to be downright awful. But thought the way the dress held nicely on Meghan.

The veil is part of the whole look. I'm glad that Meghan actually understand how to incorporate it well into the look. There are a lot of bridal looks where people just don't seem to know what to do or how to do a veil. It's becoming something people just put on based on if they want a veil or not, rather than incorporated. It's obvious that the dress is not intended to be on its own and it would've clashed if it was elaborate, and I'm happy about that. It's quite fitting for the bride's style of simple and sleek, yet her look stood the test of St. Geroge's size and those steps.

The consensus among my group of female friends aged between 20-35 was that the dress was overall rather underwhelming and forgettable. A few mentioned preferring Kate's dress but on the whole just found Meghan's dress something of a nonentity.

The tiara was really what saved the day because, as much as we all know that the veil has beautiful embroidery, it really didn't show on television or in pictures.

The consensus among my group of female friends aged between 20-35 was that the dress was overall rather underwhelming and forgettable. A few mentioned preferring Kate's dress but on the whole just found Meghan's dress something of a nonentity.

The tiara was really what saved the day because, as much as we all know that the veil has beautiful embroidery, it really didn't show on television or in pictures.

Agree 100%

Well, I wasn't a great fan of Kate's dress (don't like lace, didn't like the 'cones' on the bodice.) Mette-Marit 's gown and veil is a great favourite of mine.

However, like others here I thought that Meghan's look as she got out of the car and went up the steps with the tiara gleaming and that filmy veil streaming behind her, was truly spectacular. I loved her tiara. The gown was a bit too plain for my taste, but I'm an admirer of Meghan's minimalist style and so I didn't expect any frills, etc.

I thought Meghan looked beautiful on her wedding day. And I agree, one heck of a lot of posts were deleted on this thread.

Well, I wasn't a great fan of Kate's dress (don't like lace, didn't like the 'cones' on the bodice.) Mette-Marit 's gown and veil is a great favourite of mine.

However, like others here I thought that Meghan's look as she got out of the car and went up the steps with the tiara gleaming and that filmy veil streaming behind her, was truly spectacular. I loved her tiara. The gown was a bit too plain for my taste, but I'm an admirer of Meghan's minimalist style and so I didn't expect any frills, etc.

I thought Meghan looked beautiful on her wedding day. And I agree, one heck of a lot of posts were deleted on this thread.

Agree those boob cones looked phony...

I never posted here on this thread. :flowers: Given what Meghan's gown could have been and what it wound up being, my response is puzzlement. It's a fine dress. She was a lovely bride. As long as she was happy. ❤️

Same here. :flowers: A genuinely exceptional dress imo.

Same here. ❤️ An amazing moment. And that tiara is about the best wedding tiara I've seen among the British royals in recent times. ('Twill be interesting to see what Eugenie wears, likely her mother's tiara).

I thought Meghan looked beautiful on her wedding day.

She did. :flowers: And it was what she wanted (one would assume) so all good.

And I agree, one heck of a lot of posts were deleted on this thread.

Ooooh! :huh: I missed out while I was gone! What were you guys squabbling about? I mean it's just a dress! Ha! ;)

Same here. ❤️ An amazing moment. And that tiara is about the best wedding tiara I've seen among the British royals in recent times. ('Twill be interesting to see what Eugenie wears, likely her mother's tiara).

Agreed. The last wedding tiara I truly loved before Meghan's was Princess Diana's. The way both just sparkled really was a sight to see.

Back to Meghan's dress, the best critique I've read of it came from Robin Givhan, a fashion critic from The Washington Post. This is spot on for me...

The sleek white gown, with its six strategically placed seams, was stitched from a heavy silk with a subtle sheen. A simple bateau neckline gracefully framed her face. The body of the dress subtly outlined her waist and flowed into a full train. But what was most noticeable were all the things that the dress was not. It was not a Hollywood red-carpet statement. It was not a Disney-princess fantasy. It was not a mountain of camouflaging tulle and chiffon.

The dress, designed by Clare Waight Keller, was free of extravagant embellishments. It was not covered in yards of delicate lace. It did not have a single ruffle — no pearls or crystals. Its beauty was in its architectural lines and its confident restraint. It was a romantic dress, but one that suggested a clear-eyed understanding that a real-life romance is not the stuff of fairy tales. The dress was a backdrop; it was in service to the woman.

The woman. That’s what the dress emphasized. Not bridal whimsy. Not princess tropes. Not royal pomp. The former actress, the former blogger, the formerly single lady, now has the title Duchess of Sussex. But she is still Meghan.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-it-was-unforgettable/?utm_term=.1504c166f251

Back to Meghan's dress, the best critique I've read of it came from Robin Givhan, a fashion critic from The Washington Post. This is spot on for me...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-it-was-unforgettable/?utm_term=.1504c166f251

My favorite headlines that day came from NYT and Washington Post. Both ran similar headlines about the dress being beautiful, but the woman is unforgettable. I know a lot of focus was on the dress and the tiara, but truly the dress is really about the bride at the end of the day. Meghan looked beautiful, but most importantly her look reflected Meghan the woman well. But I do agree with her on the architectural aspect of the dress. And honestly, it’s one of the few I’ve seen where that’s actually done wel because the material shapes so wel rather than it just clings to the bride’s body for dear life. I hate it when the material doesn’t hold up well in shape.

Last edited:
And then as she walked up those stairs. WOW! It was magnificent.

One of my favorite photos from that day is of her walking up the stairs and you can see the outline of her dress under the translucent veil. I'm so glad they went with a lighter veil. I don't like veils that are too heavily woven.

I dotn like to diss someone's wedding look, but one of the points I didn't like was the veil. It looked far too thin, and IMO too long...

I dotn like to diss someone's wedding look, but one of the points I didn't like was the veil. It looked far too thin, and IMO too long...

Meh, each to their own. I hate heavy woven veil. It feels heavy and smothering whereas a well made translucent veil gives a feel of lightness and freshness. I noticed it with Pippa’s veil as well and had said I hope Meghan would use something similarly light before the wedding.

ETA: I should say I hate a heavy woven veil for one with blusher. Don’t really care if there is no blusher in front of the face at the beginning. Love blusher hats too. It might also be that a heavy and thicker blusher veil obstruct the view of the bride for me until it’s lifted. But honestly, if it doesn’t look good from the front, you’ve lost the battle from the start.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom