Marius Borg Høiby News & Current Events Part 1: December 2023 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wonder if the this was an episode of severe mental disorder? Paranoid Schizophrenia springs to mind. Or a psychotic episode induced by drugs.
Because reading between the lines he appears to smash up the apartment, rather than beating the woman up.
If it were the former, which requires many other signs other than violent behavior, he’d be in custody in the hospital.

If it were the latter, like I said, he would have received medical attention and probably a trip to the hospital by now and the police would probably have announced other factors in the case.

As it is, I think it does neither him nor anyone any favors to to do this kind of speculation any more than it does normally.
Whatever it was, he was clearly not in control of himself and the woman in my mind was in genuine danger. He could just as easily have turned on her for real.
…As opposed to him being “in control” and confining himself to allegedly threatening her and harming her physically, and not doing the additional property damage? She was perfectly safe in that scenario?

If it were the former, which requires many other signs other than violent behavior, he’d be in custody in the hospital.

If it were the latter, like I said, he would have received medical attention and probably a trip to the hospital by now and the police would probably have announced other factors in the case.

As it is, I think it does neither him nor anyone any favors to to do this kind of speculation any more than it does normally.

…As opposed to him being “in control” and confining himself to allegedly threatening her and harming her physically, and not doing the additional property damage? She was perfectly safe in that scenario?
Yeah, that was a little oddly phrased by me. I'm sure you got my meaning though.
The difference is running amok because you are under influence of something or have gone insane in some way. I.e. no control over yourself.
And running amok because you have anger issues, in which case he would still have some control in the sense that he would have had time to walk out the door and kick a lamppost instead.

And running amok because you have anger issues, in which case he would still have some control in the sense that he would have had time to walk out the door and kick a lamppost instead.
Maybe, but violent anger issues that someone has possibly never had to work on tend to lead to the kind of things where the cops get involved, even with the theoretical ability to make better choices.

It’s also possible the property damage was done out of anger as an alternative to harming the woman, before things got even more violent. And we know he was apparently drunk, and that’s never helpful, and we don’t know if he was taking anything else.

So I think we just have to wait and see, though I suspect in the end Marius will either be on his knees scrubbing public monuments or actually doing time, barring some mitigating stuff. Which is sadder for the rest of his family than it might be for him.

Last edited:
Perhaps the public humiliation will sober him up? Or get him to genuinely seek help.
Unfortunately my gut feeling says no.

Alcohol indeed tends to reinforce the mood you are in, so if you are angry when getting drunk, your are way more likely to resort to violence of some sort.

Another thought that struck me early on is: Is this the first time?
With the knowledge I have of Marius, I have no idea. But Norway is a small country and if he has a history of anger issues, a lot of people will have heard the rumors before this happened. And now these rumors and stories (if indeed there are any) will surface.

I'm merely trying to work out in my mind whether this is a one off. Or whether this is a culmination of issues Marius have.

See Royal Norway's posts here for information about Article 37 in the Constitution, which governs royal immunity:
The above thread concerns the specific incident when Article 37 was invoked to protect Princess Märtha Louise, so the general discussion about whom it might apply to was continued here:

I hope I'm not veering too far off topic but I believe in Martha Louise's case, diplomatic immunity applied as the case was in the UK. As a Norwegian national very likely enjoying diplomatic status while in the UK, it made sense she was covered by the Norwegian law mentioned. In Marius' case, as a Norwegian national committing a crime in Norway, there is no diplomatic immunity that can apply here. I understand that for most countries, "the king can do no wrong" but perhaps there are other immunities and privileges that members of the RF or Royal House enjoy domestically, in which case that would be interesting to learn about.

ADDED: I cannot imagine Marius has immunity I also doubt he would have been issued a diplomatic passport for that matter. He is not royal, he has no title and he has no function within the NRF and he never accompany them on travels.
So I believe he is an ordinary Norwegian citizen who just happens to have an unusual mother.

Article 37 is not about diplomatic immunity. At the posts to which I linked, you will be able to read the text of Article 37 and learn how it was applied to Princess Märtha Louise's case.

If the links are not working for either of you, please let me know.

With the knowledge I have of Marius, I have no idea. But Norway is a small country and if he has a history of anger issues, a lot of people will have heard the rumors before this happened. And now these rumors and stories (if indeed there are any) will surface.

I'm merely trying to work out in my mind whether this is a one off. Or whether this is a culmination of issues Marius have.

We can’t know that. But he’s incredibly privileged while having grown up in a very, very weird position (I’m sure I’ve mentioned at least once somewhere on here the possibility of MM indulging him for putting him in a situation not of his own making and where he wasn’t equal to his half-siblings… and then we don’t know what roles Haakon and his biological dad played as crown prince/stepparent vs. guy with a criminal history of his own…) and now he’s 27 and does not seem publicly, “adultly” settled.

So it could be a one-off AND he could have many issues, all at the same time. Or just the latter.

Whether he has royal immunity or not, which I doubt, it is immaterial. This isn't speeding or even a DUI.
This is assault (or whatever the technical term is in English) and even though it's the mildest of the paragraphs (the most serious being murder) it's still a serious one in the penal code!
So even if he has immunity, there is no way the Norwegian public or politicians will accept Marius getting away with this without facing a trial. King Harald would be forced to rescind his immunity.
Forget about Article 37, that's out the window.

Perhaps the public humiliation will sober him up? Or get him to genuinely seek help.
Unfortunately my gut feeling says no.

Alcohol indeed tends to reinforce the mood you are in, so if you are angry when getting drunk, your are way more likely to resort to violence of some sort.

I think there is not one reason but a culmination of issues. Probably anger issues, acting under influence. Especially the latter.
I dont know about any influence of Marius' father in his life, a convicted conman with a history of drugs, also there have been issues in MM's family with herself losing her cool in the famous runway incident where she slapped Haakon's hand (it is not comparable and was explained away) and we should not forget about MM's brother Espen, Marius' uncle, who was convicted for a similar issue, attacking/beating his girlfriend at the time.

Article 37 is not about diplomatic immunity. At the posts to which I linked, you will be able to read the text of Article 37 and learn how it was applied to Princess Märtha Louise's case.

If the links are not working for either of you, please let me know.
If I am not mistaken, Art. 37 applies only to people who are in the line of succession to the throne, which is not the case for Marius.

Last edited:
Unfortunately its one of those cases of young people with a very privileged background who have every opportunity to do something with their life, money, education, but still they fail and lose direction. Result is a questionable education (if any at all), a private person but still moving in public circles, living off money that is most likely not earned by Marius himself... not a healthy way of life in the long run.
A bad year for the NRF in general but I cant help thinking, some of it is the result of cozying up instead of drawing the line somewhere (Marius not pursuing any studies or the whole ML saga).
There have been various things reported about Marius’s life that don’t seem especially meaningful on their own, but added together have made me suspect that not everything has been well with him for some time. His decision to go to a high school program focused on skiing at 16 seemed very specialized for someone who had never shown signs of being a high level athlete. Not everyone has the ability or desire to pursue higher academic studies, but then he didn’t pursue anything related to athletics, either - a ski instructor course, some sort of coaching program, etc. He appears to have bounced around at various unrelated, not obviously lucrative jobs through most of his 20s, which means his mother and stepfather have agreed to continue funding his lifestyle, likely with no major conditions attached. And “his” decision to leave the public part of life with the NRF while being content to keep aspects of his life public through social media, comments from various girlfriends and so on, makes me wonder if it was the family and their advisors who decided it was better for everyone - including Marius - that he remain behind the scenes.

I wasn’t shocked when this news broke, and I suspect I’m not alone in that.

This is assault (or whatever the technical term is in English)
I think the equivalent is the nearly—equally mentioned grievous bodily harm.

So not assault and/or battery? Assuming GBH is an actual English-system charge, and I’m sure one of our legally-versed members knows more than I.
(Not assault/battery would be better for Marius and the NRF, of course.)

He has no immunity and will not get it, actually it is the reverse, had he been Marius anybody his name would not have been made public at all for such and offense, the Norwegian press is very careful nameing people before they are convicted, even for very serious crimes. Haakon was as usual very careful in his comments, but he said what needs to be said, better him than anyone else in the family. The press already warns the royal house to keep out of it.

I hope for her sake Mette-Marit does not go to Paris, almost every time she has gotten in trouble with the norwegian press it has been because of her oldest son, she acts way to emotional and noone at the palace seems to manage to talk her out of it. If she goes tomorrow she will have to answer questions, and it will take attention away from the athletes.

I think this needs to be a wake up call to Marius - and tbh to his parents and Haakon. Its always seemed to me that Marius - a little like his mother - seems to be missing a real purpose and role in life. I think the NRF need to start encouraging its wider members - those not direct heirs - to start taking on "proper" careers working 9-5 with that commitment and reality that brings - its no bad thing to have to be answerable to someone more than your parents in life.

I definitely think Mette-Marit needs to stay. away from Paris a) it will take attention away from the team b) it will seem to some she isn't taking it seriously enough - its no bad think IMO to say this is serious and of course she is taking time out to deal with it c) I can well imagine she'll get caught out saying something that won't sound or be presented in the right way

If I am not mistaken, Art. 37 applies only to people who are in the line of succession to the throne, which is not the case for Marius.

He has no immunity [...]

As you can see from my post in the Constitutional and Dynastic Matters thread yesterday, I am under the impression that the authorities have never clarified how Article 37 is to be interpreted post-1990. But if there is indeed an officially endorsed position on it, I would appreciate a link to more information.

I also respectfully suggest continuing the general discussion about Article 37 and royal immunity in that thread instead of this one (since it is not an issue specific to Marius).

I think this needs to be a wake up call to Marius - and tbh to his parents and Haakon. Its always seemed to me that Marius - a little like his mother - seems to be missing a real purpose and role in life. I think the NRF need to start encouraging its wider members - those not direct heirs - to start taking on "proper" careers working 9-5 with that commitment and reality that brings - its no bad thing to have to be answerable to someone more than your parents in life.

I definitely think Mette-Marit needs to stay. away from Paris a) it will take attention away from the team b) it will seem to some she isn't taking it seriously enough - its no bad think IMO to say this is serious and of course she is taking time out to deal with it c) I can well imagine she'll get caught out saying something that won't sound or be presented in the right way
I think Haakon will make sure both Ingrid and Sverre Magnus follow some mix of full time education/military service, then royal engagements approaching full time for her and steady work of some sort with occasional royal engagements for him. I don’t think he’d let either of them reach their late 20s without some sort of post-secondary degree or certification (which doesn’t necessarily need to be prestigious or competitive) and at least the start of a professional trajectory.

But Haakon has much more authority over Ingrid and SM than he does over Marius, both as their father and as the future head of the Royal Family/House. He can only be as firm with Marius as MM will tolerate. And also, Haakon likely does love Marius very much, and recognizes that he’s had quite a complicated life in some ways - might that understandable sympathy have led him to not hold Marius to the same standards of behaviour he has of his own two children?

Whatever complications Marius has had in his life, we’re still talking about a young man who grew up with a loving and supportive mother and stepfather, two younger siblings who seemed to think the world of him, at least when they were younger, and step-grandparents who genuinely appeared to welcome him as one of their own. So many kids go on to do well with much less than that, it’s a shame that doesn’t seem to have happened for Marius.

Although the situation looks bad, he is innocent until proven guilty. Who knows? Maybe some details will emerge that suggest this is not what it seems.

I would urge MM to send him to a drug/alcohol/whatever rehab or some kind of in-patient therapy as fast as his lawyers allow. Many celebrities seem to do that so the courts view them as people with an illness who are seeking help. It would also show that MM is taking action and that Marius is on the road to a better life.

Maybe, that is always a possibility to be fair but so far it seems pretty clear cut with no hint of anything else.
True, but that's based on what we've heard, without any comments from Marius.

My point is that we have to be careful not to try and convict him on social media.

Lawyer Øyvind Bratlien wrote at a message to Nettavisen newspaper:
"Today I am concerned with taking care of my client. That's my priority now. It is also important for us to consider and respect the other party. We will come back with a statement as soon as the time is right."
Through his lawyer, Høiby warns that he will make a statement in the case, but that it is unclear when that will be. It is not today.

It sounds like they (presumably the NRF) have retained an extremely heavy-duty lawyer for Marius. Other than publicity (and that's a maybe), this wouldn't seem to be one of his more taxing cases.

Will be interesting to see what the defense is.

Well they are certainly being thorough before they release that statement which I assume will outline any defence they are going to make. Sunday night - at least Thursday morning. I'm interested to see if if there is a defence or they go down the route of being as helpful and compliant as possible in the hope it goes in their favour for a more lenient outcome.

There have been various things reported about Marius’s life that don’t seem especially meaningful on their own, but added together have made me suspect that not everything has been well with him for some time. His decision to go to a high school program focused on skiing at 16 seemed very specialized for someone who had never shown signs of being a high level athlete. Not everyone has the ability or desire to pursue higher academic studies, but then he didn’t pursue anything related to athletics, either - a ski instructor course, some sort of coaching program, etc. He appears to have bounced around at various unrelated, not obviously lucrative jobs through most of his 20s, which means his mother and stepfather have agreed to continue funding his lifestyle, likely with no major conditions attached. And “his” decision to leave the public part of life with the NRF while being content to keep aspects of his life public through social media, comments from various girlfriends and so on, makes me wonder if it was the family and their advisors who decided it was better for everyone - including Marius - that he remain behind the scenes.

I wasn’t shocked when this news broke, and I suspect I’m not alone in that.
If you go to his Instagram page is full of nice pictures of him doing sports or with his pets. But you get a different picture of his life when you click on the images and see comments specifically addressing situations, he has been part of in private.

Some very hateful of people that either know him or move around his circle of acquaintances directed at him mentioning specifics on the girls he is dating.

Of his pictures the third one the video of him surfing on the boat with his sister Ingrid, the future queen, almost flying off her seat is crazy. Some translated comments said 'glad she survived'.

The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree it seems…. Marius seems to become his fathers mirror when it comes to getting in trouble with the law…
Right, it’s sad he is like his father when the behavior is concerned 😟. Saying that, he’s his own person and fully capable of his choices. I would even have more sympathy for Marius if it were drugs because it would mean he’s silly. But violence against women, nope. 👎

Right, it’s sad he is like his father when the behavior is concerned 😟. Saying that, he’s his own person and fully capable of his choices. I would even have more sympathy for Marius if it were drugs because it would mean he’s silly. But violence against women, nope. 👎

Marius is a grown 27-year-old man raised by a caring mother and her husband, Haakon. He can't blame either of his two families, like his biological father, for the problems he gets himself in as an adult.

If we look closer, he can point the finger at the circle of friends and enablers he surrounds himself with and we see it's the same exact pattern of another character of similar age we have in Spain, the king's oldest nephew. Like with Marius, both have no concern how the situations they get themselves in are an embarrassment to their families.

So, Marius, don't blame your dad for the violent conduct that got you arrested. Or don't blame anyone either.

Last edited:
Was there any confirmation that Marius was a heavy drinker in the past?

I don't know if any of us can say what kind of parents Mette and Haakon were to Marius. We can only assume. Anyhow, he's a grown man and he presumably knows right from wrong, and this was wrong as can be.

Marius is a grown 27-year-old man raised by a caring mother and her husband, Haakon. He can't blame either of his two families, like his biological father, for the problems he gets himself in as an adult.

If we look closer, he can point the finger at the circle of friends and enablers he surrounds himself with and we see it's the same exact pattern of another character of similar age we have in Spain, the king's oldest nephew. Like with Marius, both have no concern how the situations they get themselves in are an embarrassment to their families.

So, Marius, don't blame your dad for the violent conduct that got you arrested. Or don't blame anyone either.
This a million times over. Blaming past generations for your bad decisions makes you a coward. Blaming your friends for your action makes you a coward. Blaming anyone else for your bad behaviour yourself is being a coward. Blaming your situation in life makes you a coward.

There is no excuse. None. I hope he feels the full force of the law as using any form of violence on anyone is abhorrent.

Wow this is worse than I thought..Knife in the wall, woman ends up hospitalized with a concussion. I can only imagine the terror. Thank goodness the knife ended up in the wall and not in the woman. I hope she gets the emotional support and help for her healing.

Marius... where do I start?

Well him running back to Skaugum is not a good look. Grown adult man gets in serious trouble with the law and so he runs back home to "mommy's house'. ..
Eh no. It gives the image of him being a coward and also that Haakon & Mette-Marit will protect him and shield him.
I don't know what kind of parents Haakon and Mette-Marit were with Marius. However, they seem to have been loosely permissive because at 27 years old he does not have a career and Haakon and Mette-Marit seem to have bankrolled his adventures/endeavors. They need to tighten up. Send him back to his apartment instead of sheltering him at Skaugum. Perhaps him being hounded by the media will make him think 2x about his actions.
They also should send him to rehab and therapy ASAP. It will help him and also help in repairing his public image.

I don't remember completely if there were any news about Felipe de Marichalar being aggresive towards a girl.

Back
Top Bottom