Marius Borg Høiby News & Current Events Part 1: December 2023 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Let's hope that the young woman will have a quick recovery and will get the help she needs to recover from the shock. How horrible that he seems to have derailed his life in such a manner. And quite stupid too: this will be forever on his public resume.

Marius might have been in for 30 hours simply because of who he was, not because of what happened. Not exactly easy for the police — have to notify the Palace, check if he has diplo immunity, who knows what, etc.

Perhaps it was simply easier to leave him by himself and out of media range while things were sorted out.

I would think that the palace would do anything to get him out as quickly as possible, even for optics alone. But 30 hours are a long time indeed, which perhaps indicates it was either very serious or he was not in a condition to respond to questions. Or both.

Last edited:
Mistakes are a part of life, but hurting others, specifically physical abuse, is simply not acceptable. How sad for everyone in the family, and especially Mette-Marit, who’s not in the best health. It must be so disappointing for her. So much privilege such a waste…

Let's hope that the young woman will have a quick recovery and will get the help she needs to recover from the shock. How horrible that he seems to have derailed his life in such a manner. And quite stupid too: this will be forever on his public resume.

I would think that the palace would do anything to get him out as quickly as possible, even for optics alone. But 30 hours are a long time indeed, which perhaps indicates it was either very serious or he was not in a condition to respond to questions. Or both.
Good points. I wonder, though, if the optics are what kept him in for 30 hours. Both the police and the royal family would look bad if he'd been released immediately when people charged with similar offenses might have to stay for a while longer. Better to hang onto him for a while and avoid claims of favoritism.

I imagine they could also have been holding him while the charges were pending and until the alleged victim's condition was clear.

That's just the beginning. Within the next twelve hours Marius will be in every single tabloid worth mentioning worldwide.
He will be roasted by the Norwegians and hounded by the Norwegian press. Unless he has a really good explanation, I can't say I feel particular sorry for him.
I feel sorry for the victim, for King Harald and for the rest of the NRF. In that order.

I could to some extent understand it if he was seventeen and hadn't yet learned to manage his drinking or stay off drugs, but it's a bit difficult to come up with an excuse for an adult man at 27.

Weeeell, at least his new half-uncle Durek, can offer some advise, he after all has experience in domestic abuse, being arrested and spending time in jail.
What a mess!

Let's hope Magnus is more sensible, we already know Ingrid has a lot of common sense.

Marius arrested.
"Mette-Marit's son was arrested by the police and thrown into solitary confinement after a serious incident of violence. A woman was hospitalized.
Marius Borg Høiby (27) is said to have been arrested by the police on the night of Sunday.

The reason is an incident in an apartment on Frogner in Oslo - where there was a woman in her 20s.

What happened in the apartment between the two is a bit unclear. But according to what Se og Hør learns, Mette-Marit's eldest son is said to have attacked her psychologically and physically.

The offended woman eventually managed to get Borg Høiby out of her apartment and called the police. The police came and secured technical evidence and conducted a brief interrogation of the woman."

I hope that girl will be okay soon. 😳
Marius is as handsome as his dad and now as troubled as him when young. 🤔

That's just the beginning. Within the next twelve hours Marius will be in every single tabloid worth mentioning worldwide.
He will be roasted by the Norwegians and hounded by the Norwegian press. Unless he has a really good explanation, I can't say I feel particular sorry for him.
I feel sorry for the victim, for King Harald and for the rest of the NRF. In that order.

I could to some extent understand it if he was seventeen and hadn't yet learned to manage his drinking or stay off drugs, but it's a bit difficult to come up with an excuse for an adult man at 27.

Weeeell, at least his new half-uncle Durek, can offer some advise, he after all has experience in domestic abuse, being arrested and spending time in jail.
What a mess!

Let's hope Magnus is more sensible, we already know Ingrid has a lot of common sense.
I don’t feel sorry for Marius as well. I have zero tolerance to domestic violence. 😡 He deserves any condemnation he receives from the media and people. I only feel sorry for the girl and sweet MM, she must feel terrible about her son. 😔

He is a member of the Royal Family, but not the Royal House (the same is true for Prince Sverre Magnus).

I was quite surprised that Sverre is not a member of the Royal House since he’s in the line of succession, legally. But it makes sense since Norwegians slimmed down their royals.

Embarrassing! I am not shocked, though. And I do not think most Norwegians are shocked either... I know what else happened there, but we are not allowed to spread "rumours" here. The NRF have turned into a Circus.

Marius might have been in for 30 hours simply because of who he was, not because of what happened. Not exactly easy for the police — have to notify the Palace, check if he has diplo immunity, who knows what, etc.

Perhaps it was simply easier to leave him by himself and out of media range while things were sorted out.
He can't have diplomatic immunity in his own country.

There is simply no excuse for Marius' behavior. He is a grown man who was violent, and against a woman, too. Shame on him.

There are forms of it in various countries where members of the RF are immune to things like speeding tickets and up.

I don’t believe Marius has any of it (nor do I know what it’s called), but that would not prevent the police from having to double-check, probably.

This Wednesday, Se og Hør contacted the Oslo police district with several questions about the case. The press office states that the police will issue a press release today, but it is not yet known at what time the statement will be made.

Police prosecutor Nora Beck at Enhet Sentrum in the Oslo police district informs NRK that the charge this weekend concerns both bodily harm and damage.
At the same time states that she must come back to us with a further statement.

Bodily harm as described in the article is the least serious of charges in regards to assault/violence.
It covers everything from spitting, to kicking, pushing, slapping or throw something at someone.
the penalty is 30-120 days in jail and up to six years in serious cases. (Usually with a third off for good behavior.)
The police do not intend to press further charges - which to me indicate no sexual assault, or an assault with a weapon.

The police says that there is a relation between Marius and the woman. Which cold mean anything from them having some sort of intimate relation to merely know each other through friends.

Anyway, I think Marius' circle of friends has just been reduced.

Last edited:
There is a bad joke involved here about his momma now slapping him upside the head for this…

But seriously, I hope Marius is able to see the error of his ways with her support, and that the woman involved recovers fully in peace and privacy, and that equal justice will be served in a timely manner.

There are forms of it in various countries where members of the RF are immune to things like speeding tickets and up.

I don’t believe Marius has any of it (nor do I know what it’s called), but that would not prevent the police from having to double-check, probably.

See Royal Norway's posts here for information about Article 37 in the Constitution, which governs royal immunity:
The above thread concerns the specific incident when Article 37 was invoked to protect Princess Märtha Louise, so the general discussion about whom it might apply to was continued here:

(I don't know the Norwegian penal code, so I can't speculate about the sentencing. In DK in comparison he might get 40 days as a first offender and if he caused some sort of injury. 90 days if it's a bit more serious. - More if it get really serious. In other words: You'll be doing time, unless it's a minor brawl or you just lost your temper and slapped or spat on someone once.)

I am not familiar with the Norwegian penal code either, but according to Norwegian royal expert Trond Norén Isaksen: "The Crown Prince’s stepson Marius Borg Høiby, who, according to the King’s decision, is officially a member of the Norwegian royal family, has been charged with assault. This has been confirmed to the magazine Se og Hør, which broke the news, and to the newspaper Dagbladet by the lawyer he has hired, Øyvind Bratlien. This is the first time a member of the royal family has been charged with a crime. [...] The sort of assault with which Høiby has been charged – «kroppskrenkelse» in Norwegian – is punishable by a fine or up to a year in prison, while 30 to 120 days in prison is the usual range of sentences."

The accusation of violence against the son of Crown Princess Mette-Marit and a very controversial marriage of Princess Martha Louise characterize the Norwegian royal house today. Royal household experts are worried about the future of the monarchy.

Crown Prince Haakon spoke for the first time about the controversy surrounding his stepson, Marius Borg Høiby:
"It's a serious matter when the police are involved the way they are, but at the same time it's not my place to go into the details of the case."

"Of course the issue also affects me, but I'm here to support our team at the Olympics and there are fantastic achievements here."

I feel so bad for everyone involved but Marius, hopefully the woman involved is healing soon.
There should be harsh consequences for him both legally and from his family, (intimate partner) violence is inexcusable.

See Royal Norway's posts here for information about Article 37 in the Constitution, which governs royal immunity:
The above thread concerns the specific incident when Article 37 was invoked to protect Princess Märtha Louise, so the general discussion about whom it might apply to was continued here:

I am not familiar with the Norwegian penal code either, but according to Norwegian royal expert Trond Norén Isaksen: "The Crown Prince’s stepson Marius Borg Høiby, who, according to the King’s decision, is officially a member of the Norwegian royal family, has been charged with assault. This has been confirmed to the magazine Se og Hør, which broke the news, and to the newspaper Dagbladet by the lawyer he has hired, Øyvind Bratlien. This is the first time a member of the royal family has been charged with a crime. [...] The sort of assault with which Høiby has been charged – «kroppskrenkelse» in Norwegian – is punishable by a fine or up to a year in prison, while 30 to 120 days in prison is the usual range of sentences."
I hope I'm not veering too far off topic but I believe in Martha Louise's case, diplomatic immunity applied as the case was in the UK. As a Norwegian national very likely enjoying diplomatic status while in the UK, it made sense she was covered by the Norwegian law mentioned. In Marius' case, as a Norwegian national committing a crime in Norway, there is no diplomatic immunity that can apply here. I understand that for most countries, "the king can do no wrong" but perhaps there are other immunities and privileges that members of the RF or Royal House enjoy domestically, in which case that would be interesting to learn about.

More news coming all the time:
TV 2 is informed that Høiby was arrested at a different address than where the alleged violent episode is supposed to have taken place.
When the police entered the home, where the woman says she was beaten, they found, among other things, a knife sticking out of the wall. As TV 2 understands it, the police believe that Høiby has put the knife in the wall.
This has now been seized by the police, according to TV 2's information.
The victim has, as TV 2 understands, explained that Høiby was also very threatening to her.
- We do not wish to comment on this information, says Oslo police press chief Unni Grøndal to TV 2 after being presented with the information in this article.

Wow, it sounds like he was extremely violent!
I hope he faces the consequences like any other Norwegian citizenship- this is exactly the sort of case where its inexcusable to have any sort of immunity for someone just because they are royal.
I feel for Haakon- he’ll get all the flack while MM (hopefully) is giving Marius hell at home.
Poor Harald, this really is turning into a nightmare year- his heart attack, ML and her sham man and now this!

His girlfriend rebecca no longer follows him on insta and the same thing is happening.

Exclusive: Police confirm that there is a relationship between Marius Borg Høiby and the victim

Update (August 7, 3:07 p.m.): Oslo police have now confirmed exclusively to BUNTE.de that the "man in his twenties" who was arrested at the weekend after "a violent incident" is "Marius Borg Høiby." The police also confirmed "that Høiby has been charged in the case. The charges currently include assault and damage to property." The statement by press spokeswoman Unni T. Grøndal continues: "There is a relationship between the accused and the victim."

He is in his late twenties now. What does he actually do? Did he finish studies somewhere or started a carreer?
Did Marius attend university?
I think Marius had some jobs, I think I read some news about it. But I'm not sure about that.

He is in his late twenties now. What does he actually do? Did he finish studies somewhere or started a carreer?

-
The news even made it to the Washington Post!

The article says that he lives which his parents, is that actually the case at his age?
In 2022, Marius Borg Høiby registered a sole proprietorship in the Companies Register in Brønnøysund, under the name Maizen Custom. The documents showed that the business involves maintenance, repairs, painting and conversion of motorcycles.

So bruising in the back of her head and a concussion.
- Wonder if she was pushed.

But the most disturbing thing is the knife stuck in the wall.
Wonder if the this was an episode of severe mental disorder? Paranoid Schizophrenia springs to mind. Or a psychotic episode induced by drugs.
Because reading between the lines he appears to smash up the apartment, rather than beating the woman up.
Whatever it was, he was clearly not in control of himself and the woman in my mind was in genuine danger. He could just as easily have turned on her for real.
Unfortunately the police and the judge must not have considered him insane or otherwise mentally disturbed, otherwise he would have been committed. And that actually makes it worse for him.
- Forgive my rambling. It's just an ongoing thought process.

Haakon has commented and he said: "It is a serious matter, when the police is involved. - It's not appropriate to go into details, but this affects me as well. I'm here to follow our team at the Olympics..." - He does not believe MM will attend the Olympics: "It is important for a family to be there for each other. She had hoped and looked forward to being here. - We are focusing on all parties being taken well care of and then we will take it one day a ta time."
A for what the NRF intends to do: "We will answer the questions you have at present, but beyond that we have no further plans.

ADDED: I cannot imagine Marius has immunity I also doubt he would have been issued a diplomatic passport for that matter. He is not royal, he has no title and he has no function within the NRF and he never accompany them on travels.
So I believe he is an ordinary Norwegian citizen who just happens to have an unusual mother.

Last edited:
In 2022, Marius Borg Høiby registered a sole proprietorship in the Companies Register in Brønnøysund, under the name Maizen Custom. The documents showed that the business involves maintenance, repairs, painting and conversion of motorcycles.
Are there multiple places with that name in Norway? Because the one I found is 800+km away from Oslo. If he works there he must live there too I imagine? To commute would be impossible.

Edit: another register says it is located in the town of Tønsberg, which is located one hour south of Asker, where the Crown Princess lives. Perhaps that makes more sense?

It is an honset job, so if he actually works on that: goodd for him. Not everybody wants to be an investment banker.

But the most disturbing thing is the knife stuck in the wall.
I missed that part. That is scary indeed. Something even more serious could have happened.

If the lady in question drops the charges will the whole case be dropped? Victims of assault sometimes do.
Or is that not how it works in Norway.

Quite sad that somebody who had all doors opened to him uses all the opportunities in such a way.

Last edited:
Are there multiple places with that name in Norway? Because the one I found is 800+km away from Oslo. If he works there he must live there too I imagine? To commute would be impossible.

I missed that part. That is scary indeed.

If the lady in question drops the charges will the whole case be dropped? Victims of assault sometimes do.
Or is that not how it works in Norway.
Not necessarily. The police can press charges on their own initiative and so can the prosecution.
Normally when the police drop the case, it's when the victim of domestic abuse refuse to press charge, refuse to testify and take the blame on herself and downplay what happened. In that case the police and prosecution have such a thin case that it's not worth it.
But here, no. He'll face the music. - And due to his connection with the NRF he pretty much has to.
After all, he smashed up another person's apartment and left, which is also why he is charged with vandalism.
- While you are perfectly entitled to smash up your own home, destroying someone else's home is a bit tricky to justify.
And there is medical evidence of the woman having bruises in the back of her head and a concussion and also a statement saying she felt threatened.
Also, the police was called after Marius left, because he was arrested elsewhere (in his home? Can't remember off hand.), so someone called the police on him.

- So it would be a little difficult to explain it away with the woman asking Marius to come ruin her home and in all the commotion she tripped over the couch and hit her head, clumsy little her.
Marius can't say: Ain't me, she's lying. I can't imagine being able to smash up an apartment without leaving fingerprints, DNA and what not all over the place. And there must also be bruising of some kind on his hands at least.

I can't see Marius wriggling himself out of this one.

Last edited:
Unfortunately its one of those cases of young people with a very privileged background who have every opportunity to do something with their life, money, education, but still they fail and lose direction. Result is a questionable education (if any at all), a private person but still moving in public circles, living off money that is most likely not earned by Marius himself... not a healthy way of life in the long run.
A bad year for the NRF in general but I cant help thinking, some of it is the result of cozying up instead of drawing the line somewhere (Marius not pursuing any studies or the whole ML saga).

Back
Top Bottom