King Frederik & Queen Mary's Summer Tour aboard the Dannebrog: 2024 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here’s some more information on the tour!

We arrived a short time ago at Kongeskibet Dannebrog from the lake side after the most beautiful sailing trip from the north.

In a little while, together with the Royal Ship's crew, we will set course for Bornholm, where we will start our summer cruise tomorrow. We are looking forward to it!

✍️ The royal couple.
🤳 H.M. The queen.

What an awesome video!

Photos …

Video …

Last edited:
Here are some pictured articles and galleries of day 1 today:

** rex gallery ** tt.se gallery ** anp gallery 1 ** anp gallery 2 **

Packed day but so wonderful. What better way then Frederik in naval uniform.
The couple looks great and relaxed throughout the varied itenarary.

More articles and pics
video interview with both

Lovely photos from the DRF

What a packed day of events for Day 1 of the summer cruise! Great photos and videos. They both look happy, relaxed, engaged and in great form.

What a packed day of events for Day 1 of the summer cruise! Great photos and videos. They both look happy, relaxed, engaged and in great form.

they really do. Great ambassadors to Denmark.
Pictures from the reception

another video from the day

and the Dannebrog used to reach every corner of Denmark!

I had read about it somewhere but here is the picture of Mary at the reins, how fun!

Day 2 today and King Frederik and Queen Mary visit Ærø Municipality:

Last edited:
Some great pics!

Some more great pictures, what a nice part of Denmark that we get to "visit" through them. It seemed everyone was happy to greet them.

Nice video!

That part of DK is among the absolute most scenic places in DK. Despite the many tourists it still manage to maintain the scenery and tranquility of archetypical village life.
It looks like DK in movies from the 1950 where the sun always shined, it was always summer, people dressed neatly and talked nice and the villain always got his just dessert.
It's still a place though that when you come visiting and finally sit down in the yard, you feel your blood pressure drop by 159 % and your shoulders drop down to the level of elbows and there both remain until it's time to go home.

Here are a number of mood photos and you may begin to understand what I mean with "archetypical village life". All photos are from the island of Ærø.

This part of DK used to be very affluent. Because a lot of coasters had their home there and most men were either sailors in the merchant fleet or involved in shipping in some way and they earned very good money!

That part of DK is among the absolute most scenic places in DK. Despite the many tourists it still manage to maintain the scenery and tranquility of archetypical village life.
It looks like DK in movies from the 1950 where the sun always shined, it was always summer, people dressed neatly and talked nice and the villain always got his just dessert.
It's still a place though that when you come visiting and finally sit down in the yard, you feel your blood pressure drop by 159 % and your shoulders drop down to the level of elbows and there both remain until it's time to go home.

Here are a number of mood photos and you may begin to understand what I mean with "archetypical village life". All photos are from the island of Ærø.

This part of DK used to be very affluent. Because a lot of coasters had their home there and most men were either sailors in the merchant fleet or involved in shipping in some way and they earned very good money!
Beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing. I always thought that scenery with the cobblestone streets and small old houses was at the island of Fünen/Fyn. I was surprised that the texts of the commune of Aero wer both in Danish and German

Beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing. I always thought that scenery with the cobblestone streets and small old houses was at the island of Fünen/Fyn. I was surprised that the texts of the commune of Aero wer both in Danish and German
Lots of German (and Dutch) tourists.
Also along the west coast of Jutland there are lots of signs in German and also English, because it crawls with Germans there all year round.
There are many boats visiting this part of DK as well, German, Dutch, Norwegian, Swedish and now also some Polish boats.

You'll find cobblestone streets and thatched houses all over DK.
Notice also the charming wooden telephone poles. You rarely see them anymore.

Added: A delightful photo: https://bt.bmcdn.dk/media/cache/res...msten-med-dannebrog-havde-kongeparret-dog.jpg

Last edited:
Here are some nice photos of this evening's reception:

Assens Municipality welcomes King Frederik and Queen Mary today, August 21:

** gettyimages gallery **

Great pictures of the Royal couple, I see them being a Unit again, Mary has more of a relaxed smile about her
lovely to see them.

King Frederik X and Queen Mary are visiting the city of Assens.

Lovely video to end the day
Sweet photos

some great moments. Love the reunion with the family dog's Coco's dad.
(..)

Last edited by a moderator:
King Frederik and Queen Mary pay a visit to Vejle Municipality today, August 22:

** gettyimages gallery **

This summer cruise has been on point! Loving all the stops and interactions with the locals!

What a lovely message to a wonderful summer cruise, "experiencing culture and nature, communities and professional skills.
Thank you to everyone who spontaneously and planned shared personal stories, experiences and talents, and to everyone who prepared, held and participated in the past four days."

Video and photos from tonight.

Fantastic. And some many anecdotes and stories.

With other events going on in other threads I have sadly neglected this thread.
In a way that's fine because it merely shows that everything went well.
Here is a BT article about the use of informal and formal you, and the informal style by FX&QM.

It stems from an enthusiastic onlooker in the town of Vejle saying to King Frederik: "Du er en dejlig steg! = You're a hot dish!" Using both informal you and a very free compliment. King Frederik reacted with a smile. - No scandal or offense taken by anyone but a few I think.
In the article you will see a poll, which is not particularly serious in the way it is phrased and also because I think the segment reading newspapers are mainly counted among the 30+.
Anyway a majority believe it's perfectly OK to address the royals with informal you, while a minority 44 % believe formal You is more appropriate.
Personally I believe that the de facto abolishment of formal You, means the language has become poorer. The usage of formal You in a number of situations is a useful tool. You can for example address someone in a stern manner while using the formal You, which means you still maintain a level of respect and the meaning comes across as much less rude.
I certainly, firmly and absolutely believe that use of formal You should be used when addressing the leading people in a society, like the PM, Chairman of the Parliament and adult members of the DRF. Simply as a way to show respect for the office.
And also in a setting where the Royal show is on, there I certainly believe formal You should be used.
However, if it's at a school outing, or King Frederik is picking up a child from handball or you are talking with Joachim about engines at a race, there I think it would be more natural for the conversation to use informal you. Or at least it makes no big difference.
Having said that I simply cannot remember the last time I addressed someone with formal You in Danish. I did when I was in the army because that was the regulation back then, but apart from that I simply can't remember.

My wife does on occasion when dealing with elderly who still prefer formalities, or when having a work-related argument with a relative of a client who has stepped out of line. (Gone Karen on say a care-worker.) That's where her annoyance or the seriousness of the situation is emphasized by using formal You.

ADDED: They were lucky to finish the cruise yesterday, because we are having a minor storm here right now.

Here is a BT article about the use of informal and formal you, and the informal style by FX&QM.

It stems from an enthusiastic onlooker in the town of Vejle saying to King Frederik: "Du er en dejlig steg! = You're a hot dish!" Using both informal you and a very free compliment. King Frederik reacted with a smile. - No scandal or offense taken by anyone but a few I think.
In the article you will see a poll, which is not particularly serious in the way it is phrased and also because I think the segment reading newspapers are mainly counted among the 30+.
Anyway a majority believe it's perfectly OK to address the royals with informal you, while a minority 44 % believe formal You is more appropriate.
Personally I believe that the de facto abolishment of formal You, means the language has become poorer. The usage of formal You in a number of situations is a useful tool. You can for example address someone in a stern manner while using the formal You, which means you still maintain a level of respect and the meaning comes across as much less rude.
I certainly, firmly and absolutely believe that use of formal You should be used when addressing the leading people in a society, like the PM, Chairman of the Parliament and adult members of the DRF. Simply as a way to show respect for the office.
And also in a setting where the Royal show is on, there I certainly believe formal You should be used.
However, if it's at a school outing, or King Frederik is picking up a child from handball or you are talking with Joachim about engines at a race, there I think it would be more natural for the conversation to use informal you. Or at least it makes no big difference.
Having said that I simply cannot remember the last time I addressed someone with formal You in Danish. I did when I was in the army because that was the regulation back then, but apart from that I simply can't remember.

My wife does on occasion when dealing with elderly who still prefer formalities, or when having a work-related argument with a relative of a client who has stepped out of line. (Gone Karen on say a care-worker.) That's where her annoyance or the seriousness of the situation is emphasized by using formal You.

ADDED: They were lucky to finish the cruise yesterday, because we are having a minor storm here right now.
Did they sail back to Copenhagen during the night before the storm blew?

If they remained on the ship, they would have, yes.

It was a wonderful summer cruise! Their majesties first as the royal couple and they were on point the entire time! It seemed like the crowds were ecstatic to see/meet them and show them love and the royal couple reciprocated.

They've really just transitioned into their new roles seamlessly! I cannot imagine that QMII is anything but very happy and extremely proud of the job they have done since taking over.

Some beautiful pictures and video of the ending

I cant see any faults. Everyone seemed please to great them. And boy did they seem to take to greet everyone. Like their last message said "Our country has a lot to offer and we have enjoyed experiencing culture and nature, communities and professional skills on our own.
Thank you to everyone who spontaneously and planned shared personal stories, experiences and talents, and to everyone who prepared, held and participated in the past four days."

I enjoyed learning and seeing more of Denmark

33 official events in 4 days, on the wonderful Vessel that is Dannebrog. What a treat!

If they remained on the ship, they would have, yes.

From BilledBladet
"A few locals got a surprise when the royal couple, after a well-ended summer cruise with the royal ship Dannebrog, disembarked in a cozy little harbor north of Copenhagen.
Off the small town of Snekkersten, which is not that far from Fredensborg, the royal ship moored, and from the ship King Frederik and Queen Mary sailed in the sloop into the cozy little harbor of Snekkersten.
At half past ten on Friday, Frederik and Mary went ashore, and they were, among others, in the company of King Frederik's private secretary Morten Roland Hansen.
It was quite a surprise for a few of the locals to see the royal couple walking on the bridge in the harbor wearing a very casual suit.
From Snekkersten, the royal couple probably drove towards the Chancellery at Fredensborg Castle. It only takes a quarter of an hour to drive from the small harbor to Fredensborg Castle."

Uh, I'm going to need context for the remark. I presume the speaker was calling him handsome, or whatever the literal translation is?

I realize she's from a different generation but didn't QM openly appear unimpressed if anyone tried to non-You her?

Back
Top Bottom