Fashion and Style of Royal Men, Part 8: July 2022 - June 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Henrik's clothes really should come with content warnings. :eek:

Now why is it when he does/did it, it's funny, but when Haakon does it, it isn't? Because Haakon is only 7/10 of the way to Henrik-level?

Dull colors - and not least brown shoes.

And seriously: If you are to dress eccentric, you go all out, like PH did. Or not at all. There is no middle-road in eccentric attire. Those who look at you either stare open mouthed in amazement/disbelief/admiration/speechless (insert other word) or they don't.
Haakon doesn't make it because he has very little dress sense. And what he has - except for the odd suit, which suits him, because he's tall and slim - is pretty boring.

I've long been of the opinion that the world would be a much better place if more men dared to dress like Prince Henrik.

I've long been of the opinion that the world would be a much better place if more men dared to dress like Prince Henrik.

A wholehearted amen to that one!

Speaking of royals in turtlenecks, so far the best example would be this handsome man
https://www.kongehuset.dk/media/54nnqais/hkh_kronprinsen_50_civil.jpg
I may be distracted by those beautiful eyes though ;)

William has tried, and I give him points for the use of velvet lol
https://i2-prod.ok.co.uk/incoming/article25240567.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/3_GettyImages-1347123793.jpg

Bit a turtleneck, and a double breastfed coat, at a tennis match is a no from me.

Weeelll, we don't really see that much of Frederik's turtle, so...
But the expression in his eyes tells me what an ordeal it was for him to wear it though.

And now to William. That's one of his country-vicar outfits. You can clearly tell from the way he holds his hands. A dead give-away.
Even though I strongly suspect him of wearing a white collar in front of the mirror at home, this is as close to his secret dream as he can get in public.
And country-vicars are allowed to wear velvet jackets. - If that's the least of their sins. ?

The watch is nice. Discreet cool masculinity. :cool:
- Instead of the huge sun-dial sized watches other royal men are in the habit of wearing, full of knobs and colored dials and generally just way over the top. Even a member of the special forces wouldn't wear such a watch.

Last edited:
The watch is nice. Discreet cool masculinity. :cool:
- Instead of the huge sun-dial sized watches other royal men are in the habit of wearing, full of knobs and colored dials and generally just way over the top. Even a member of the special forces wouldn't wear such a watch.

He only has the one watch, I think. It's the one he received from Diana.

I have never been able to figure out why he wears it on the righty wrist when he's left-handed.

He only has the one watch, I think. It's the one he received from Diana.

I have never been able to figure out why he wears it on the righty wrist when he's left-handed.

You wear your watch opposite the hand you write with. I'm right-handed, so I wear a watch on my left wrist. That means when I write something, it's not bumping and dragging against the table.

Do you really? I’m left handed and have always worn my watch on my left wrist. It’s habit I suppose.

Do you really? I’m left handed and have always worn my watch on my left wrist. It’s habit I suppose.

Yes, so many clearly left-handed people wear a watch on the right wrist (aka ''the lefty wrist") which is one way of telling they're left-handed. William doesn't (and you don't), and then I wonder why.

I wish someone would ask him.

P.S. It doesn't take much observation to notice the dial is blue. Of course. :cool:

Last edited:
Do you really? I’m left-handed and have always worn my watch on my left wrist. It’s habit I suppose.

Obviously, people can wear their watches on whichever wrist they want, but in general, you wear your watch on your non-dominant hand. Maybe nowadays with almost everything being done on the computer, it doesn't matter so much anymore, but back in ye olden days when you had to handwrite everything, it saved the band or the dial from being scuffed up as it dragged/bounced on the table or desk. I inherited the watch my mother wore almost every day for about 20 years or so, and there's nary a scuff on it.

Obviously, people can wear their watches on whichever wrist they want, but in general, you wear your watch on your non-dominant hand. Maybe nowadays with almost everything being done on the computer, it doesn't matter so much anymore, but back in ye olden days when you had to handwrite everything, it saved the band or the dial from being scuffed up as it dragged/bounced on the table or desk. I inherited the watch my mother wore almost every day for about 20 years or so, and there's nary a scuff on it.

I think it must just be a habit with me as I believe I’m much, much older than you and have written (and sketched on a notepad) all my life with no worries about my watch(es.)

King Charles III, the Earl of Wessex and the Duke of Gloucester (with Queen Camilla and Princess Royal) attending the Olympic and Paralympic Reception at Buckingham Palace this evening:

https://media.gettyimages.com/id/12...=ets4ztEBI-dfUihHlbNTHvjY_V324RCsNh7Gu-U_cDk=

And Emperor Naruhito (with Empress Masako) during the meeting with Dr. Frank-Walter Steinmeier, President of the Federal Republic of Germany and his wife Elke Büdenbender at the Imperial residence today:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fgi9pebVUAEgXKf?format=jpg&name=large

Last edited:
That style went out of fashion on 8th December 1976.

As some of you may recall, the Red Stockings back then burned their bras. What is less well known is that men worldwide burned the turtlenecks vindictive wives had bought them the years before and forced them to wear.
Daniel must have made a serious transgression in order for him to be forced to wear turtlenecks two days in a row.

But fortunately Daniel never disappoint as the foremost champion of double breasted suits. :cool:
The only kind of suits men should wear.

But what you haven't noticed is his tie. As befits a gentleman hunter.

And Frederik is an accomplished shot, because the pins on his hat is not decoration but awarded skill badges as a hunter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't mind a turtleneck from time to time - but those double-breasted suits :ohmy: - but it seems to be Daniel's trademark.

That style went out of fashion on 8th December 1976.

As some of you may recall, the Red Stockings back then burned their bras. What is less well known is that men worldwide burned the turtlenecks vindictive wives had bought them the years before and forced them to wear.
Daniel must have made a serious transgression in order for him to be forced to wear turtlenecks two days in a row.

But fortunately Daniel never disappoint as the foremost champion of double breasted suits. :cool:
The only kind of suits men should wear.

Were no turtlenecks sold in Scandinavia from 1976? If so, where did Daniel (and Haakon on occasion) get theirs? Did wives arrange supplies from elsewhere? Or was the burning so covert that men’s clothing shops were sworn to secrecy?

In any case it’s a pity that the custom of wearing such abominable tops still continues.

Looks bad and reminds me of the Beatles during their pre-Hippie style period. Too clean, structured and stiff, like a 1950's ad for men's fashions

Were no turtlenecks sold in Scandinavia from 1976? If so, where did Daniel (and Haakon on occasion) get theirs? Did wives arrange supplies from elsewhere? Or was the burning so covert that men’s clothing shops were sworn to secrecy?

In any case it’s a pity that the custom of wearing such abominable tops still continues.

No, they were banned in 1976. The ban against turtlenecks was only lifted in 2006 IIRC.
There was of course an black market for turtlenecks, because there are always deviants or people who for fun would wear a turtleneck.
Many of those gathered in clandestine nightclubs, but if the police caught you dancing in public or at an such establishment with your wife or girlfriend while wearing a turtleneck, you would end up in court. Getting a hefty fine and of course the turtleneck would be confiscated and destroyed.

Eventually, and after some heated debates, it was decided to lift the ban on turtlenecks.
But the ban on wearing a pyjamas or a nightgown in public, like at the supermarket remains in place. - As it should. It's evil to wear your pyjamas outside your home. :ohmy:

Not that we will ever see on-duty royals doing this, but dare I ask about the policy on sweatpants?

No, they were banned in 1976. The ban against turtlenecks was only lifted in 2006 IIRC.
There was of course an black market for turtlenecks, because there are always deviants or people who for fun would wear a turtleneck.
Many of those gathered in clandestine nightclubs, but if the police caught you dancing in public or at an such establishment with your wife or girlfriend while wearing a turtleneck, you would end up in court. Getting a hefty fine and of course the turtleneck would be confiscated and destroyed.

Eventually, and after some heated debates, it was decided to lift the ban on turtlenecks.
But the ban on wearing a pyjamas or a nightgown in public, like at the supermarket remains in place. - As it should. It's evil to wear your pajamas outside your home. :ohmy:

I assume you are joking, right? A ban on turtlenecks from the same country that gave us ABBA in platform shoes and bellbottoms? :lol:

Thank you for your full explanation to my original question, Muhler. I expected the confiscations but didn’t realise that many poor besotted males had gathered in clandestine nightclubs just to wear the turtlenecks their SO’s had given them. I expect nightclubs for pyjama wearers are still on the down-low somewhere in Denmark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom